Author Topic: Some Hawaii Super Delegates Supporting Hillary  (Read 887 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Some Hawaii Super Delegates Supporting Hillary
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:43:13 AM »
Amazing. 

U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye and National Committeeman Richard Port are staunch Clinton supporters and have said they will vote for her at the Democratic National Convention regardless of Obama's gains. U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie favors Obama.

Three other superdelegates, U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono and National Committeewoman Dolly Strazer, remain undecided.

The remaining two superdelegates -- the party's vice chairman and an at-large spot -- will be decided at or after the state convention.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/04/14/news/story03.html

This despite the fact Obama won the Hawaii caucus by a landslide.

U.S. Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois drew from a broad slice of Hawai'i voters at the Democratic caucuses Tuesday night, preliminary results show, but he did exceptionally well among young people and independents and in demographically shifting regions on the Neighbor Islands.

Obama swept all 51 state House districts in a comprehensive victory over U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York that attracted a record 37,426 voters to the caucuses.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Feb/21/ln/hawaii802210358.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Some Hawaii Super Delegates Supporting Hillary
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
It'll be at the expense of their re-election.  They better be very popular to do that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
It'll be at the expense of their re-election.  They better be very popular to do that.

Dude Dan Inouye will serve as long as he's breathing.  The voters here decided long ago to give him a position for life.  Akaka isn't far behind.  Hirono will always be vulnerable. 

I just think it's incredible that they would even debate this given that Obama won every precinct by a landslide. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »
Dude Dan Inouye will serve as long as he's breathing.  The voters here decided long ago to give him a position for life.  Akaka isn't far behind.  Hirono will always be vulnerable. 

I just think it's incredible that they would even debate this given that Obama won every precinct by a landslide. 
Yea, figures...  It will only be people who are very secure in their office or for whatever reason won't be running again that will do something like that. for the most part anyway...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »
repubs should be careful what they wish for.

goatboy voting for hilary in TX to keep her in the race, all the thousands of repubs who are trying to sabotage hilary...

IMO, snObama will have been a MUCH tougher obstacle to overcome, than a mccain.

you repubs voting hilary are putting a dem hawk up against your lib/repub hawk.  that's essentially a tie.  Think about when you're at the club looking for a date... two girls are tied, you pick the younger one ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »
At least a couple of them got it right.  Shame that Dan Inouye can just tell all of the Hawaii voters to go screw themselves.   

Hirono declares vote for ObamaBy Richard Borreca
rborreca@starbulletin.com
U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono of Hawaii joined eight other superdelegates yesterday in endorsing Sen. Barack Obama's Democratic presidential nomination.

Hirono's action came a day after Obama ventured across the U.S. Capitol on a hand-shaking tour of the House floor.

"I talked to him briefly. I hadn't made an announcement at that point, so I just greeted him. He was very cordial, and everybody liked the fact that he came and said hello," Hirono said.

Hirono said she called some of her Hawaii supporters who were also Clinton supporters, such as local political worker Jadine Nielsen, to let them know she had declared for Obama.

Previously, Hirono, who supported former Sen. John Edwards in the primary four years ago, was neutral this year.

"We need to unite behind the front-runner and marshal our energy and resources to defeat Sen. John McCain," Hirono said.

Hirono's decision leaves U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka as the only member of the Hawaii congressional delegation still undecided. U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye is supporting U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, and U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie is backing Obama.

A spokesman for Akaka, Jesse Broder Van Dyke, said today that the senator might make an endorsement before the convention, although he declined to say when Akaka might decide. In February Akaka spokesman Jon Yoshimura said that Akaka would "wholeheartedly support the party's nominee; however, he does not plan to endorse any candidate."

Hawaii Republican Party Chairman Willes K. Lee responded saying, "Hirono may gain popularity by pledging her support for the 'native son' Democratic candidate, but she won't be helping our economy. Mr. Obama's promises to raise taxes on hard-working families and small businesses would only harm our economy."

The Hawaii Obama campaign also announced yesterday that it was joining a national voter registration drive today with rallies in Honolulu and on Maui.

In Honolulu, Obama supporters are planning a rally at 10 a.m. today at 2500 Campus Road at the University of Hawaii-Manoa campus.

On Maui the rally will be held at the ILWU Hall at 896 Lower Main St. in Wailuku. It also will start at 10 a.m. today.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/05/10/news/story03.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
none of this matters. obama will be the nominee and be elected president by a LANDSLIDE.

just watch.....

There are a lot of factors that say you are correct- change election, slumping economy, people tired of the war, tried of the Bush legacy, his age...

2008 is going to be an interesting election.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »
Updated at 2:58 p.m., Monday, May 12, 2008
Akaka backs Obama with his superdelegate vote
By Dennis Camire
Advertiser Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Sen. Daniel Akaka, a Hawai`i superdelegate, announced today that he is endorsing Barack Obama for president with the hope the Illinois senator will end the "partisan politics that has plagued our country far too long."

"I've followed the campaign for president closely … to see which candidate would articulate a vision for our country, encourage hope and renew faith in our government, and stand to rigors of a nationwide contest," Akaka said in a statement released by Obama's campaign office. "I've decided that for me, that candidate is Barack Obama."

Akaka was the last uncommitted superdelegate in Hawai`i's congressional delegation.

On Friday, Rep. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawai`i, endorsed Obama, who was born in Hawai'i and attended Punahou School.

Akaka said that Obama's Hawai`i background made him uniquely qualified for a presidential candidate.

"I have great hope that in his own way, Barack Obama will achieve what I have been working to accomplish my entire congressional career - more tolerance and understanding, an appreciation for common goals and interests, rather than an emphasis on our differences," Akaka said.

In making his endorsement, Akaka said he held Hillary Rodham Clinton and Bill Clinton "in the highest regard as colleagues and friends."

"Sen. Clinton has campaigned hard and well and I wish her all the best as we move forward," Akaka said.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/BREAKING01/80512033&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
you hawaiian libs just don't stop, do you?

it's like, let's see who can hate america the most.