Author Topic: Obama Willing to Debate McCain at Town Halls This Summer...  (Read 474 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
May 10 (Bloomberg) -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said he'd be willing to campaign jointly with Senator John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, and debate him in town-hall style formats.

``I think that's a great idea,'' Obama, 46, told reporters in Bend, Oregon, today as he campaigned ahead of the state's May 20 primary. ``Obviously we would have to think through the logistics on that, but to the extent that should I, should I be the nominee, if I have the opportunity to debate substantive issues before the voters with John McCain, that's something that I am going to welcome.''

Obama, an Illinois senator, was responding to a question citing reports that McCain's advisers have suggested the two should campaign together this summer, debating at town hall meetings without a moderator.

Obama, who is leading the race for the Democratic presidential nomination over New York Senator Hillary Clinton, 60, picked up support today from three superdelegates. One was from Utah and two from the Virgin Islands, one of whom switched his support from Clinton. Clinton picked up the support of a superdelegate from Massachusetts.

Obama has been steadily closing in on Clinton's superdelegate lead and now barely trails her in the race for party leaders and elected officials, who will end up deciding the Democratic nomination because neither candidate would be able to gain enough pledged delegates from primaries and caucuses to seal the nomination.