Author Topic: triceps  (Read 3348 times)

g101

• Getbig IV
triceps
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:47:52 PM »
Overhead Extensions vs Skullcrushers

what's better.. and do they work the same parts of the tricep ?

g101

• Getbig IV
Re: triceps
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
bump

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
for meat the mo... overhead extensions... target the long head more... which is the biggest part of the tri whereas lying skulls are more of an overall movement
choice is an illusion

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:33 AM »
I put more emphasis on overhead extension work.
And when I do perform skulls, I lower the bar behind – not to – the head.
Seems easier on the joints, and the greater stretch and ROM seems to give me more bang for my buck in the growth dept.

My lateral heads seem to get sufficient (albeit indirect) stimulation from my chest work.

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:01:35 AM »
Whenever possible, I try to include exercises on every tricep day that work all three positions of flexion: elbow above my head (i.e. any overhead tricep extension movement), elbow in front of face (e.g. skullcrushers, close-grip bench press, etc.), and elbow down at waist (e.g. pushdowns, dips, etc.).  I feel like I've blasted every single angle and therefore every single muscle fiber within the triceps when doing so, and I get pretty good results from this approach.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »
My absolute favorite triceps exercise is overhead db extensions.

I perform them one arm at a time.

This exercise has done more for my triceps development than any other exercise.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
I put more emphasis on overhead extension work.
And when I do perform skulls, I lower the bar behind – not to – the head.
Seems easier on the joints, and the greater stretch and ROM seems to give me more bang for my buck in the growth dept.

That's the crux of confusion for many to this day-extensions behind the head or seated are both excellent, the best thing out there for the long head which is the largest part of the triceps and the best potential area for adding size. Skulls are often confused with lying extensions and aren't in the same league whatsoever in terms of effectiveness.

There are also some big downsides to skulls - greater pressure on the elbows and connective tissues rather than on the muscle, and if you're serious and trying to work to failure, a fair chance that last tough rep's gonna land the bar on your face when you're weakest. :'(

Skulls are not a serious exercise relative to other options such as seated ext. with back braced, lying or cable extensions.

French press is another confusing name, that in various places are defined as either extensions or skulls, and seated or lying. Just a lot of confusion-use extensions in workouts and as the best more accurate and least confusing name.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »
My absolute favorite triceps exercise is overhead db extensions.

I perform them one arm at a time.

This exercise has done more for my triceps development than any other exercise.
i literally can't do those. Even a 20 lb db feels like an ice pick in my elbow. My fav tri movements is the overhead bb extension. Try it on an incline bench for a good stretch.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
i literally can't do those. Even a 20 lb db feels like an ice pick in my elbow. My fav tri movements is the overhead bb extension. Try it on an incline bench for a good stretch.

I couldn't agree more about the single DB extensions-recent Vic Martinez video he was discussing the fact that he does these at an angle with the upper arm lowered down more than the usual 1 arm extensions, because the usual way goes right to the elbows.

I agree with 2 handed extensions and the incline as well as flat, seated or decline. The only thing i'd add to what you're doing is that i suggest you try same using 2 hands around one DB, hammer-grip triceps bar, E-Z curl or super E-Z curl-they're even better than a BB for most people in terms of both grip and control.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:37:21 PM »
That's the crux of confusion for many to this day-extensions behind the head or seated are both excellent, the best thing out there for the long head which is the largest part of the triceps and the best potential area for adding size. Skulls are often confused with lying extensions and aren't in the same league whatsoever in terms of effectiveness.

There are also some big downsides to skulls - greater pressure on the elbows and connective tissues rather than on the muscle, and if you're serious and trying to work to failure, a fair chance that last tough rep's gonna land the bar on your face when you're weakest. :'(

Skulls are not a serious exercise relative to other options such as seated ext. with back braced, lying or cable extensions.

French press is another confusing name, that in various places are defined as either extensions or skulls, and seated or lying. Just a lot of confusion-use extensions in workouts and as the best more accurate and least confusing name.

You said it, brother.
Conventional skulls (bar to head) used to make my elbows “scream,” and I’m convinced they were a major player in what caused a lot of my Olecranon/epicondyle problems.

I know that you, Meso78, JPM, SF/QO, and I have all had more than a few discussions at times regarding the effectiveness and other finer details of BTH extensions – from Scott variations to bodyweight extensions/tiger dips, etc.

I used to load up the Hammer dip machine and get someone to help me start that first rep.
And I used to grab the dipping belt and hang db’s and plates from the chain that always unceremoniously rattled my nuts as I climbed up to the dipping bars.

But it wasn’t until I focused almost exclusively on extension work that my tri’s started to develop something resembling a downward sweep – that “reverse peak” opposite the biceps during a front double bi pose.
Granted I still have a very long way to go, but at least the backside of my arm is no longer flat.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »
this is true one arm dumbell extensions hurt my elbows as soon as i start using any substantial weight
choice is an illusion

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:33:59 AM »
i think anyone whos lifted for more than a few yrs has too much wear and tear to get away with skulls or one arm db extensions, there ok when your fresh and new, i used to love them.....

for me, seated overhead ez bar extensions more or less made my triceps complete, the side tricep pose went from probly my worst to my best....

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
I agree about overhead cambered extensions.... they are my staple tri movement at the mo..
makes that long head thick
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »
I agree about overhead cambered extensions.... they are my staple tri movement at the mo..
makes that long head thick

It's been a long while, looking forward to those arm vids..soon?

Lying, seated or various incline/decline/pulley extensions - all work the same area well if done properly. Which is better is subjective-lying are not only the best to me but easily are more comfortable, less tiresome and less pressure on the elbows-same with pulleys. Coleman likes lying extensions best for long head but also used seated a lot, Oliva liked seated, Scott pulleys.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 07:55:01 AM »
i like the lying... version but at the mo
im finding the seated one beter to isolate the long head .. its also harder to cheat in comparision to the lying version
choice is an illusion