Author Topic: Even I would not drink this! Chinese Firewater!!!  (Read 2576 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Even I would not drink this! Chinese Firewater!!!
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
CHENGDU, China (Reuters) - Chinese baijiu, a flammable, pungent white liquor averaging a 110-proof wallop, is the world's most consumed form of liquor thanks to its popularity in China, but for the first time distillers are looking to develop export markets.

According to data from International Wine & Spirit Research, Chinese people drank over 11 billion liters of baijiu in 2012; the spirit, distilled from sorghum, wheat or rice, accounted for more than one-third of all spirits consumed in the world.

But as a new generation of Chinese drinkers discovers the imported spirits that were unavailable to their parents, baijiu risks losing that market share unless it creates new markets overseas.

"Baijiu hasn't been marketed to the West yet but I think it can be," said James Rice, managing director of Sichuan Swellfun Co Ltd, a baijiu maker in Chengdu, western China, in which London-based beverage multinational Diageo has taken a sizeable stake.

"People are interested in China and here's a piece of Chinese culture that can go right to your dinner table."

The opportunity has also attracted small entrepreneurs like David Zhou, who founded Washington-based Everest Distillery to import a Chinese baijiu and rebrand it for sale locally.

"We really want to go for mainstream U.S. consumers and we do believe they can accept it."

But Rice, and other distillers, have to deal with a major challenge: baijiu tends to make a terrible first impression.

"I thought it tasted like paint-thinner and felt like a liquid lobotomy," said Michael Pareles, manager at the U.S. Meat Export Federation in Beijing. "However, like many other things in China, I eventually grew to like it."

Torsten Stocker, head of Greater China consumer practice at Monitor Group in Hong Kong, was skeptical about prospects for overseas expansion.

But he suggested the liquor could be better distributed to the swelling overseas Chinese community, which now depends on duty-free stores in airports to stay stocked.

Baijiu's punch makes it a tough sell in Western bar culture where people drink on an empty stomach. So does its fuel-like odor and its aftertaste. But the history of alcoholic beverages shows that nearly any taste can be acquired.

"Tequila has a very unusual flavor compared to more popular spirits," said Derek Sandhaus, industry consultant and author of a forthcoming book on baijiu appreciation.

"But through clever marketing, good cocktails, and good management, it's earned a place on the bar shelf. I see no reason why the world's most popular spirit can't do the same."

MAKING THE ADJUSTMENT

But an adjustment is still probably necessary.

Matt Trusch, a former China resident, founded a distillery called Byejoe USA that imports baijiu base from China, then re-filters it to make it more drinkable.

"We've made it much more palatable to American tastes."

Vinn Distilleries in Portland, Oregon, founded by a family of ethnic Chinese immigrants from Vietnam, is reproducing a generation-old baijiu recipe, and Vinn president Michelle Ly has marketed it - in very small volumes - to non-Chinese consumers.

Curiously enough, she said a group of investors had approached her with an idea to export her U.S.-made baijiu back to China, advertising it as a product of high quality control - an issue domestic baijiu brands have struggled with.

Baijiu expert Sandhaus thinks the best avenue for developing drinkers overseas is to follow the model of Japanese sake and market baijiu as the alcohol to drink with Chinese food. But he added that there is no need for distillers to rush.

"It will still be a very long time before baijiu stops being a very lucrative business in China."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Even I would not drink this! Chinese Firewater!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
Firewater.   Give you wings.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »
Firewater.   Give you wings.
No wonder they always have squinty eyes  :-X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
If it's 110 proof then they should get Lou Ferrigno to endorse it, since he always gives "110 percent".

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
"I thought it tasted like paint-thinner and felt like a liquid lobotomy," said Michael Pareles, manager at the U.S. Meat Export Federation in Beijing. "However, like many other things in China, I eventually grew to like it."

I'm sure it will be a hit in the U.S. then  :D

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
  Filewatel

King Shizzo

• Getbig V

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Ahhh, Peach moonshine sounds better, and you can use it in an old car.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
http://guyism.com/lifestyle/alcohol/types-liquor-around-world-may-know.html

10 types of liquor from around the world you may not know about

10. Turkish Raki

Raki is a liquor that is not only popular in Turkey, but also considered its national alcoholic beverage. It is an anise-flavored apéritif that is often served with seafood or Turkish meze (appetizers), such as yogurt dip or eggplant puree. It’s usually consumed neat, with chilled water in a separate glass, or mixed with water or ice cubes. Diluting Raki makes it a milky color. It is known as “aslan sutu” or “lion’s milk” or “the milk for the strong” as it is strong often consumed straight up.

ABV: 45%.

9. Korean Soju

Soju is a distilled beverage native to Korea. It is clear, colorless and usually consumed neat. It’s made from rice, wheat, barley, potatoes, sweet potatoes or tapioca. It is strong and it often consumed alongside Korean fried chicken and/or while smoking cigarettes.

ABV: 20%

8. Thai Mekhong

This Thai spirit is made from 95% sugar cane/molasses and 5% rice, then blended with a secret recipe of herbs and spices native to Thailand, producing a distinctive aroma and taste. It is a welcome addition to a variety of cocktails, the most famous of which is called “Sabai Sabai” (a refreshing drink with club soda, Thai basil, simple syrup and lemon juice.)

ABV: 35%.

7. Peruvian Pisco

Peruvian Pisco can be made with many different types of grapes, which means it can have a wide variation in taste, fragrance, viscosity and appearance. It is never diluted after being distilled, so it enters the bottle directly at its distillation strength.

ABV: 30-43%

6. Italian Grappa

This aromatic, grape-based brandy is of Italian origin, but enjoyed by the people of many European countries, often as an after-dinner drink to aid with digestion. It goes well with salted nuts – especially pistachios.

ABV: 35-60%.

5. Panamanian Seco Herrerano

This clear liquor is the national alcoholic beverage of Panama. It is distilled from sugarcane and either consumed straight or in mixed drinks. A popular Seco Herrerano drink is called “Chichita Panama,” and is made with grapefruit and pineapple juice. In some parts of the country it is even drunk with milk or coconut milk.

ABV: 35%

4. Icelandic Brennivín

A clear, unsweetened Schnapps varietal that is considered to be Iceland’s national beverage. It is often drunk on special occasions. It is made of fermented potato or grain and flavored with caraway and cumin among other ingredients.

ABV: Around 40%.

Fun fact: It’s referred to as “Black Death.”

3. Greek Ouzo

Like Raki, Ouzo is often mixed with water in a small, ice cube filled glass, making it cloudy and white. It can also be drunk straight for a shot glass. It is often served with mezes, or appetizers like fish, olives and feta. It is reminiscent of absinthe in taste (with flavorings such as coriander, cloves, cinnamon, anise and star anise), but smoother.

ABV: Usually between 40-50%.

2. Brazilian Cachaca

In recent years the distilled spirit, Cachaca, a distilled spirit that is made from sugar cane juice, has gained international recognition. Brazilians produce and drink Cachaca, often in their Caioirinha de Uva cocktail which includes a mix of crushed lime, sugar, Cachaca, ice and semisweet wine, giving it a grapey flavor. Outside of Brazil it’s used for tropical drinks.

ABV: Between 38-48%.

1. Finnish Viina

This clear alcohol is native to Finland and created using a 200-step continuous distillation that is designed to create a high-purity spirit. It is diluted with spring water and sugar, and is similar to vodka in taste, and often mixed with Coke, sparkling water, juice or energy drinks.

ABV: Usually between 30-38%.

THE ARS

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »

...Baijiu expert Sandhaus thinks the best avenue for developing drinkers overseas is to follow the model of Japanese sake and market baijiu as the alcohol to drink with Chinese food....

But japanese food is good, chinese food is gross.

How will the chinks fight past that obstacle?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
If it gets you drunk it will sell. I'm Irish so thanks for the billion euro idea.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
http://guyism.com/lifestyle/alcohol/types-liquor-around-world-may-know.html

10 types of liquor from around the world you may not know about

1. Finnish Viina

lol finnish viina, you got to be a patriot to like it, no homo

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »
CHENGDU, China (Reuters) - Chinese baijiu, a flammable, pungent white liquor averaging a 110-proof wallop, is the world's most consumed form of liquor thanks to its popularity in China, but for the first time distillers are looking to develop export markets.

According to data from International Wine & Spirit Research, Chinese people drank over 11 billion liters of baijiu in 2012; the spirit, distilled from sorghum, wheat or rice, accounted for more than one-third of all spirits consumed in the world.

But as a new generation of Chinese drinkers discovers the imported spirits that were unavailable to their parents, baijiu risks losing that market share unless it creates new markets overseas.

"Baijiu hasn't been marketed to the West yet but I think it can be," said James Rice, managing director of Sichuan Swellfun Co Ltd, a baijiu maker in Chengdu, western China, in which London-based beverage multinational Diageo has taken a sizeable stake.

"People are interested in China and here's a piece of Chinese culture that can go right to your dinner table."

The opportunity has also attracted small entrepreneurs like David Zhou, who founded Washington-based Everest Distillery to import a Chinese baijiu and rebrand it for sale locally.

"We really want to go for mainstream U.S. consumers and we do believe they can accept it."

But Rice, and other distillers, have to deal with a major challenge: baijiu tends to make a terrible first impression.

Torsten Stocker, head of Greater China consumer practice at Monitor Group in Hong Kong, was skeptical about prospects for overseas expansion.

But he suggested the liquor could be better distributed to the swelling overseas Chinese community, which now depends on duty-free stores in airports to stay stocked.

Baijiu's punch makes it a tough sell in Western bar culture where people drink on an empty stomach. So does its fuel-like odor and its aftertaste. But the history of alcoholic beverages shows that nearly any taste can be acquired.

"Tequila has a very unusual flavor compared to more popular spirits," said Derek Sandhaus, industry consultant and author of a forthcoming book on baijiu appreciation.

"But through clever marketing, good cocktails, and good management, it's earned a place on the bar shelf. I see no reason why the world's most popular spirit can't do the same."

MAKING THE ADJUSTMENT

But an adjustment is still probably necessary.

Matt Trusch, a former China resident, founded a distillery called Byejoe USA that imports baijiu base from China, then re-filters it to make it more drinkable.

"We've made it much more palatable to American tastes."

Vinn Distilleries in Portland, Oregon, founded by a family of ethnic Chinese immigrants from Vietnam, is reproducing a generation-old baijiu recipe, and Vinn president Michelle Ly has marketed it - in very small volumes - to non-Chinese consumers.

Curiously enough, she said a group of investors had approached her with an idea to export her U.S.-made baijiu back to China, advertising it as a product of high quality control - an issue domestic baijiu brands have struggled with.

Baijiu expert Sandhaus thinks the best avenue for developing drinkers overseas is to follow the model of Japanese sake and market baijiu as the alcohol to drink with Chinese food. But he added that there is no need for distillers to rush.

"It will still be a very long time before baijiu stops being a very lucrative business in China."

Friend of mine got one somewhat similar beverage from China's embassy in Finland. He said it is one of the best liquors of China. He pour me a glass of it with big smile, and I take a sip...It was like dishwater with loads of alcohol, hints of burnt rubber and slime. Best part was the fact that this product didn't just taste like vomit, it also smell like it, and that smell will be with you for at least three days. It comes out in your swat and breath no matter what you do.. Let say I would need to be in desperate need of alcohol, if I never ever try that again  ;D

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:56 PM »
Got drunk on baiju in Bejing a few years back. Was there on business and our host, a Chinese general, said we should toast our future cooperation. So we had a shot, and then he poured another, and another. You know how that goes.

Got terribly drunk but not sick to my stomach. But for three days later my stomach hurt like someone had doused it with gasoline and set it on fire. Worst experience ever. The stuff is toxic.

I stick to beer now on My Chinese visits. I'm a wine drinker, but they have no real wine to speak of and the imports are tough to come by if you are anywhere but the big cities.

BTW in many places in China, if you order a drink at a bar and it's poured from a bottle (like a shot of whiskey) it's probably not what the bottle says. They refill them with garbage. This has happened in Beijing, Chengdu and even Shanghai, at the cheaper clubs. Not so in the top end places.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Got drunk on baiju in Bejing a few years back. Was there on business and our host, a Chinese general, said we should toast our future cooperation. So we had a shot, and then he poured another, and another. You know how that goes.

Got terribly drunk but not sick to my stomach. But for three days later my stomach hurt like someone had doused it with gasoline and set it on fire. Worst experience ever. The stuff is toxic.

I stick to beer now on My Chinese visits. I'm a wine drinker, but they have no real wine to speak of and the imports are tough to come by if you are anywhere but the big cities.

BTW in many places in China, if you order a drink at a bar and it's poured from a bottle (like a shot of whiskey) it's probably not what the bottle says. They refill them with garbage. This has happened in Beijing, Chengdu and even Shanghai, at the cheaper clubs. Not so in the top end places.

Strange to see imitation products in China. ??? ???

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
Strange to see imitation products in China. ??? ???

I know, right? :) I was over there selling some tech products. Even though the Chinese could knock them off, the bigger Chinese  companies didn't want anything to do with home built products and only wanted American. They said they don't trust Chinese made goods, lol.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
Phew, for a moment I thought shizzo was out of timeout.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
http://guyism.com/lifestyle/alcohol/tutorial-how-to-shotgun-a-beer.html

This sexy tutorial on how to shotgun a beer is the only thing you need to see today

It’s the 4th of July week, and that means you’ll soon be headed off to beer-soaked barbecues all throughout this great nation.

But don’t make the mistake of missing this video, because heaven forbid you don’t already know how to shotgun a beer, you most certainly don’t want to get called out for it on our nation’s most sacred day: Independence Day.

Sure, most of you probably know how to shotgun a beer already…but is that really the point of this video? The point here is the gratuitous display of American beauty: beer and sexy lifeguard Amber Rae.