« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
Different Ways To Cook Eggs with Chris Tuttle

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Food
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2019, 03:40:39 PM »
Guinea pig ice cream proves popular for a Bolivian entrepreneur

Quito, Ecuador — It's a real ice cream flavor: guinea pig. Anyone who thinks of guinea pigs as pets; cute, squishy, squeaking bundles of fur, might find that idea hard to digest.

The rodents are a traditional hot dish in some Latin American countries, including Colombia, Peru and Bolivia. In Ecuador, people typically cook guinea pigs with salt and serve them with potatoes and peanut sauce. But one vendor is taking things to another gastronomic level, serving guinea pigs as a cold dessert.

Some people like ice cream made from "cuy," as the animal is locally known.

"I was suspicious, but it was tasty," said Marlene Franco, a 78-year-old retiree who tried a scoop at a stall next to a highway linking the Ecuadorian capital of Quito to the city of Sangolqui.

The stall owner is María del Carmen Pilapaña, whose offbeat offering inspires disbelief and laughter among first-time customers.

Pilapaña's operation is small. It consists of two tables in an open area lined with dentists' clinics and other businesses. Even so, demand is growing. Every week, the entrepreneur prepares 150 servings ($1 for a cone) of guinea pig ice cream.

She also makes 40 servings of ice cream flavored with beetles, also traditionally eaten as a salty snack, and a smaller amount of mushroom ice cream.

"My family and my husband thought I was crazy. They didn't think anyone would like these ice creams, but now they're our main product," said Pilapaña, who acknowledges that she had her own doubts about whether her investment would pay off.

It was a close call. Out of work, with three children in tow, Pilapaña began attending free training courses for entrepreneurs. She was challenged to do something innovative and, after six months of testing, she starting selling her range of ice creams at the beginning of September.

Pilapaña manages to concentrate guinea pig flavor after cooking and preparing a pate from the animal's flesh, adds milk or cream and refrigerates the concoction until it has the rough consistency of ice cream. The taste is similar to chicken.

The beetle and mushroom ice creams include fruits such as pineapple and passion fruit. Beetle ice cream has a slight aroma of wet earth.

Ants, cicadas and worms are used to make some desserts, often chocolate-infused ones, in parts of Latin America. But incorporating such ingredients _ guinea pigs included _ into ice cream is unusual.

Carolina Páez, director of the anthropology school of the Catholic University in Quito, isn't surprised.

"The guinea pig is a very important ancient food in Andean indigenous societies, especially for its high protein content," she said. Other cultures eat various types of animals, Páez said, "so there is no reason to be amazed that Ecuadorians eat guinea pigs, even in ice cream."

For Pilapaña, guinea pig ice cream is just the beginning. She has new flavors in mind: crab, chicken and pork.

"Seeing how my business is picking up, I'm sure I'll do well," she said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guinea-pig-ice-cream-a-hit-for-bolivia-entrepreneur-and-beetle-flavors-not-doing-bad-either/

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »
Turkish Eggs

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2019, 03:29:23 AM »
I make coffee with whatever is on sale.

It's either Maxwell House, Folgers, or Chock Full O' Nuts.

I get either Colombian or Arabica variety.

Dunkin' was on sale and I bought a few bags.  I could not tell the difference between Dunkin' and the others.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2019, 08:34:02 PM »
Coffee Around the World

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2019, 12:45:22 AM »
I go through "coffee jones" on and off....that is...I will go through periods of not caring for coffee, alternated with times where I want coffee...The parts where I have a craving vary in length, from the shortest being a week to the longest being 3 years.

I always use a small cup rather than huge mugs.

When I want it I sometimes use a cheap espresso brewer for espresso using ordinary grinds of coffee.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »
How the Tabasco Factory Makes 700,000 Bottles of Hot Sauce Per Day

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
Double Smoked, Spiral Sliced Ham

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
How To Fillet Every Fish

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »
How Spanish Manchego Cheese Is Made At A 200-Year-Old Dairy

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
How Spanish Manchego Cheese Is Made At A 200-Year-Old Dairy

I love Manchego

:

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2019, 11:00:47 PM »
Colombian Style Bacon Hotdogs in Medellín

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
Krispy Kreme just rolled out a big product that comes in a small package.

The doughnut maker has added mini doughnuts to its permanent menu to help those who are trying to stick to their New Year's resolutions but also want doughnuts.
"Too many people bail on their New Year's resolutions before they are even halfway through January... Sometimes a mini-indulgence, or cheat, is all you need to help you stick with it. So, we miniaturized our most popular doughnuts," said Dave Skena, Chief Marketing Officer for Krispy Kreme, in a news release.
"A little Krispy Kreme goes a long way."
The mini doughnuts are available starting Monday and come in four classic flavors: Original Glazed, Chocolate Iced Glazed, Chocolate Iced with Sprinkles and Strawberry Iced with Sprinkles.
The company said the new smaller offerings give those who are trying to cut back a way to indulge without going all the way. The mini doughnuts are less than 100 calories apiece -- about half as many as in a regular-size glazed doughnut.
You can try the new treat for free during "Mini Mondays," every Monday in January at participating Krispy Kreme stores from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/06/business/krispy-kreme-mini-donuts-trnd/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=06ac226bdf-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_07_02_38&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-06ac226bdf-95217593

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
Eating China’s 1,000-Year-Old Egg

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2020, 10:21:05 PM »
Krispy Kreme's Enormous, 24/7 Flagship Store Just Got an Opening Date

Krispy Kreme's flagship store will soon join the carnival of brands that is Times Square, where men in tuxedos supervise 20-foot long M&M dispensers, Hershey's employees serve massive s’mores from an authentic camper, and tourists from all over the world gather in a public square to photograph the landscape of billboards. Not to be outdone, the donut chain promised its 4,500sqft flagship would come with a glaze waterfall, a "doughnut theatre experience," and stadium style seats in its initial reveal last June. But it didn't provide an opening date -- until today.

The doughnut giant announced on Wednesday that it plans to open its Times Square store in May 2020, at 1601 Broadway. But there's some good news for NYC natives, who would rather choke on a donut than walk in or around the tourist destination: Krispy Kreme plans to open five other locations in Midtown, the Financial District, the Bronx, Harlem, and the Upper West Side. The Midtown location will actually open before the flagship, in February, at 994 Sixth Ave. The Penn Station store, which has been closed for remodeling, will open on January 30.

Even though its donuts are getting smaller, it's been a big year for Krispy Kreme, and we're excited to brave the storm of 42nd Street selfie sticks to get our desserts.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/krispy-kreme-nyc-flagship-store-times-square?fbclid=IwAR3TrQSbap1sKxYxu5kBwXZ_0PyU11ng3RiMlcCppwK9ZmiQK525anpWf5I

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »
The Oldest Restaurant In The World Roasts Suckling Pig In A Wood-Fire Oven

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2020, 09:45:08 PM »
This Turkish Ice Cream Doesn’t Melt

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »
How Heinz Tomato Ketchup Is Made

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »
This Turkish Ice Cream Doesn’t Melt

Interesting about the Turkish ice cream that doesn't melt. This Turkish coffee ice cream melts in your mouth and gives you a caffeine buzz.

It's is out of this world. -Kind of expensive, but worth it.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
Dunkin’ Has $2 Boxes of Munchkins Through Most of the Month

Dunkin' may have removed thousands of "Donuts" from signs over the last couple of years, but they're not fooling anyone. Donuts are still the reason you're stopping by, and the reason you might want to swing by over the next couple of weeks.

Though, the cause is the little fellers. The Munchkins, which just got quite cheap throughout most of February. The donut holes are just two bucks for a 10-count box until February 25.

There is actually a surprising variety of Munchkins available. It's not just glazed holes for days and days. Among the options, you'll find Butternut, Cinnamon, Glazed, Glazed Blueberry, Glazed Chocolate, Glazed Old Fashioned, Powdered, and Jelly.

Not everyone wants their donuts in bite-size form, though. If you think holes are missing the best part of the donut, there are plenty of other special treats for you in February. Dunkin' will be doling out heart-shaped donuts for Valentine's Day as well. Options will include the Brownie Batter Donut and the Cupid's Choice Donut, both of which come covered in Bling Sprinkles.

You'll also find the shop slinging an Instagram-worthy Pink Velvet Macchiato and a Pink Velvet Signature Latte. The macchiato comes with espresso, red velvet cake flavor, "hints of cream cheese icing," and the iced version has a cool layered effect when it's served. The latte has espresso, red velvet cake flavor, whipped cream, mocha drizzle, and hot chocolate powder. If your valentine says you're sweet, let them know nothing could possibly be as sweet as this.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/dunkin-munchkin-donuts-two-dollars-february-2020?fbclid=IwAR2bcRE5gFzYedddrz7dgXBXB0cVNxivxQFTswnrFu-P_nw94cEOEH6HHg4

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2020, 09:41:44 PM »
How To Eat Sushi The Right Way

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »
15 Foods & Drinks You Would ONLY Have on St. Patrick's Day