Author Topic: There Is No Such Thing As "Excess Calories," Only Un-Unitilized Macronutrients  (Read 5534 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Is that current? Is the Falcon ever going to make a return here?
Yea from Matt C's site. I dont think he will recover.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
During the week when I'm much more busy it's hard to make time to sit down and eat. I'd really like to just eat one meal a day prefereably just before sleeping because eating it relaxes me. I need about 3000 calories a day just to maintain my approximate 190lbs of bodyweight. I'm a very simple person so I don't understand how this nutritional timing works. What would happen if right before bed I down a 60 gram shake of whey isolate (240 calories) and a half of gallon of chocolate icre cream (2,280 calories) and it's my one and only meal per day?

How often do you eat a pro shake and 1/2 gal choc ice cream before bed?

How do you stay so ripped eating that?

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
The idea that peope gain fat because they eat too many calories is a flawed notion that needs to be put to rest. There is no such thing as an "empty calorie," there are, however, macronutrients that provide 4-9 calories per gram, that when consumed at inappropriate timing, cannot be utilized. The concept that the body cannot consume X amount of calories based on factors Y and Z is an untrue one that was popularized by people trying to sell simplistic diet plans based off of calorie counting. The only way that the body can store fat is through unutilized macronutrients, because of improper timing. To adequately gauge how many calories one should be consuming, spend a week logging macronutrient intake and ultimately average the calories provided by the macronutrients at the end of the week. Most people need a lot less calories than they have been conditioned by pseudo-nutritionists using the Harris-Benedict formula to push their diet plan. Consider this, a natural 200lb bodybuilder who engages in heavy and intense resistance training 4 days per week needs 1gram of protein per 3-4pounds of bodyweight. This averages about 57 grams per day which will provide 228 calories per day from protein alone. Most people, tricked by supplement company and diet plan scammers would believe that this man needs 3,000 or more calories per day to build muscle when in reality he does not need more than 1500-2000.

Bottom line: muscle building while staying lean is about macronutrient intake. Forget the calories and analyze your macronutrient needs.

u are a good troll, give u that
But if you are genuine why does your physique suck so much?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
How often do you eat a pro shake and 1/2 gal choc ice cream before bed?

How do you stay so ripped eating that?

It's a hypothetical. Even though the majority of my calories come from ice cream it's still at a caloric deficit. How important is nutrional timing when you are on a caloric deficit? Since I'll be going to sleep after eating ice cream does it all turn to fat over night and then I burn this fat during the next day?

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
It's a hypothetical. Even though the majority of my calories come from ice cream it's still at a caloric deficit. How important is nutrional timing when you are on a caloric deficit? Since I'll be going to sleep after eating ice cream does it all turn to fat over night and then I burn this fat during the next day?

It doesn;t all turn to fat but you will def store some of it as fat because when you come off of a "fast" your body will store some as fat as a survival mechinism as your body doesn't know when it will be given food again. Thats why its so impt to eat breakfast- because you have been fasting the last 8-10 hrs.

HugeRipped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
HR,

Slightly off topic, but...

What is your take on the leg extension? Worth doing for anyone ( athlete, bodybuilder, novice lifter , etc.) or ditch it for a "Better bang for your buck" exercise?

The leg extension is an ergonomic nightmare. Weight loaded at the ankle while straightening the leg is simply a knee injury waiting to happen. 3-4 sets Front squats or back squats every 7 days is enough to stimulate quadricep growth in the natural bodybuilder.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
The leg extension is an ergonomic nightmare. Weight loaded at the ankle while straightening the leg is simply a knee injury waiting to happen. 3-4 sets Front squats or back squats every 7 days is enough to stimulate quadricep growth in the natural bodybuilder.

Perhaps you can clear this up then....

Why does the CSCS, which you claim is a HIGHLY respected certification, have a an image of a girl ( I think) performing a leg extension on their webpage with a CSCS qualified practitioner "spotting" her lol.

LOL! Is this the "respected image" such a renown organization wishes to brand it's self with?? LOL
Please discuss: http://www.nsca-cc.org/about_cred/cscs.html

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
::)
How about this.  You take a picture today and follow a 6,000 calorie a day diet of your Macro nutrient choice and then come back with a picture in a month so we can see your progress.

Exactly... hahaha
S

HugeRipped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Perhaps you can clear this up then....

Why does the CSCS, which you claim is a HIGHLY respected certification, have a an image of a girl ( I think) performing a leg extension on their webpage with a CSCS qualified practitioner "spotting" her lol.

LOL! Is this the "respected image" such a renown organization wishes to brand it's self with?? LOL
Please discuss: http://www.nsca-cc.org/about_cred/cscs.html

Its an advertisement, nothing more. There is no worthwhile certification that insists that their trainers follow certain exercises no matter, they simply provide both the human physiology and exercise science knowledge to possess the competency to recommend or discourage the inclusion of certain exercises in a workout program. If you don't think that the CSCS is the most highly esteemed certification in the field then 1) take a look at the basic requirements to even take the test and 2) ask anybody in the fitness field what training certification is the most respected.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Its an advertisement, nothing more. There is no worthwhile certification that insists that their trainers follow certain exercises no matter, they simply provide both the human physiology and exercise science knowledge to possess the competency to recommend or discourage the inclusion of certain exercises in a workout program. If you don't think that the CSCS is the most highly esteemed certification in the field then 1) take a look at the basic requirements to even take the test and 2) ask anybody in the fitness field what training certification is the most respected.

I actually think its a joke and VASTLY sub-optimal info. Yes I've seen the requirements ( have a college diploma-BIG DEAL!)- and if you ask someone like yourself who was educated in an academic curricula in this county they will most likely be brainwashed into believeing that it is the "Gold Standard" - nothing could bee further from the truth. I took and PASSED the CSCS back in 2001 and was the biggest waste of time and energy ever.

The academic curricula in exercise science and physiology from American Instutitions are not even in the same galaxy of usefulness as those from sports science academies and institutes overseas.

There is ZERO carryover from what you learn in the practicee material/examination to real life program design.

Do you even know who is responsible for establishing and why they established the CSCS?

As far as a superior method of training certification, go with the certification that www.westside-barbell.com offers.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
It doesn;t all turn to fat but you will def store some of it as fat because when you come off of a "fast" your body will store some as fat as a survival mechinism as your body doesn't know when it will be given food again. Thats why its so impt to eat breakfast- because you have been fasting the last 8-10 hrs.

So will I gain weight or lose weight?

Gavin Laird

• Getbig II
Huge Ripped, I think your Masters is being "Un-unitilized" here, perhaps you should continue to focus on creating protologisms instead?

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
So will I gain weight or lose weight?

I honestly don't know, either could happen.

You do realize it is POSSIBLE to GAIN fat yet still LOSE weight at the same time , don't you?

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
Getbig forums are the pinnacle of sports science and nutritional information. Cutting edge stuff right here.

the bronze

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Calories come from macronutrients that have 4-9 cals per gram. I spoke in terms of calories in that post since the typical person that eats 1-2 meals of fast food per day has no interest in exercise science or human physiology so their macronutrient intake is totally invalid. If you completely read my post, you would see that I noted that these types of people have a genetic predisposition toward greater macronutrient utilization - that being the ultimate factor in fat gains.

Actually macronutrients come in forms that have 0-9 cals per gram there stud.  But I guess they didn't teach that in your Masters Program.  And if its hard to "comprehend" your posts, it's hard to comprehend shitty writing and sentence structure.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
Yet another uneducated internet forum warrior compensating for their lack of credentials by trying to argue with facts.

Let me try to dumb this down for you as much as possible. The average person that does not work out at night cannot utilize more than ~35g carbohydrates within 3 hours of sleep without excess lipid storage. You work out at night, thus your carbohydrate utilization is radically different from the typical example as a result of post-workout anabolism. It is clear to me that you do not understand the role that carbohydrates play in the human body. I suggest doing some simple research on human nutrition to develop a better understanding of the purpose of carbohydrates.

even if i worked out first thing in the morning, yet ate the same calories/macros in the evening as i do now, i would still burn
fat like i am now....

oh yeah, a degree in exercise science is nothing to brag about...i have had 4 exercise science graduates work for me in the last 5 years as sales people because
they cannot get jobs in their industry....and an exercise science degree is not a difficult degree to get...no harder than general degrees like education, managment, etc

you are not as special as you seem to think, and give it up with trying to down talk everyone, you didn't graduate at MIT for fuck sake

HugeRipped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
even if i worked out first thing in the morning, yet ate the same calories/macros in the evening as i do now, i would still burn
fat like i am now....

oh yeah, a degree in exercise science is nothing to brag about...i have had 4 exercise science graduates work for me in the last 5 years as sales people because
they cannot get jobs in their industry....and an exercise science degree is not a difficult degree to get...no harder than general degrees like education, managment, etc

you are not as special as you seem to think, and give it up with trying to down talk everyone, you didn't graduate at MIT for fuck sake

Your post goes to illustrate your severe level of ignorance in relation to exercise science and foundations of basic human nutrition. Macronutrient processing is vastly different in the hours directly post-workout than during the course of the rest of the day. If you engage in resistance training and/or cardiovascular activity at night, you will have increased carbohydrate metabolism, exponentially more than one who worked out 8 hours prior. Again, it appears that you do not understand the role of carbohydrates in the human body.

Furthermore, I earned my master's in one of the most prestigious and competitive post-graduate exercise science programs in the country. I do not suggest that you attempt to challenge my academic credentials, lest you embarass yourself even further.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
I honestly don't know, either could happen.

You do realize it is POSSIBLE to GAIN fat yet still LOSE weight at the same time , don't you?
no its not, you meant "gain fat and lose muscle"

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
Your post goes to illustrate your severe level of ignorance in relation to exercise science and foundations of basic human nutrition. Macronutrient processing is vastly different in the hours directly post-workout than during the course of the rest of the day. If you engage in resistance training and/or cardiovascular activity at night, you will have increased carbohydrate metabolism, exponentially more than one who worked out 8 hours prior. Again, it appears that you do not understand the role of carbohydrates in the human body.

Furthermore, I earned my master's in one of the most prestigious and competitive post-graduate exercise science programs in the country. I do not suggest that you attempt to challenge my academic credentials, lest you embarass yourself even further.

i agree with the utilization of macros post exercise vs with no exercise...this is obvious

but with a daily intake of x amount of calories, i will still lose the same amount of fat regardless of timing(when in overall deficit)

i hate to say it, but i do agree with most of what you say, but your cockiness is ridiculous...you earned a masters in exercise science, get off
your fucking soap box dude

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task

How is it that you never tell people where this "masters" was from?  In addition, how is it that you couldnt get the name of the damn thread correct but continue to spout off about your intelligence?

Nirvana

• Getbig V
Hugeripped = funniest gimmick/poster of all time