Author Topic: Thinking of activating 'parental controls'..... on myself....  (Read 2910 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: Thinking of activating 'parental controls'..... on myself....
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Sorry, Taffin.  You're just too smart to pass as a cop (at least an American one).  Agnostic007 is the only exception I can think of.

Yeah, if you find you're simply abusing yourself with the information for no reason, then it might be best to get away from it.

You'll be due for many moments of reflection, though, every time you try to load a site but find you're blocked.  So just be prepared for that.

Compliment accepted  8)  Although my Uncle was a Chief Inspector (which might correlate roughly to a US Captain, maybe?), and I appreciate Agnostic007 too so maybe it's in the blood...  ;)

It's not that I wallow in this stuff, but a Google News feed for example can't block specific acts of violence/abuse - I don't suppose anyone knows of an alternative news aggregator that does?

And the protection being offered is a total block of all 18+ material, but as the sysadmin I can add websites to a whitelist, so the moment of reflection would probably come at the point I clicked 'add exception'  ;D
T

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
Its 2017, I think we've all seen a beheading video or 2, and if over the age of 30 we all likely seen a dead body in person.. After the first couple you get kinda numb or used to it. Exceptions are having someone you know die or be killed in front of you... That shit kinda stays with you and even if you forget, 10, 15yrs later something you see or something somebody says reminds you of it and you wonder how or why you forgot... But eventually it passes. You realize the earth has been here for millions of years and we all have a finite amt of time and eveeybodys experience is different. Some are lucky enough to never experience shitty things and die in their sleep of old age, some are born into poverty in trailer parks and are raped as children and grow up to become prostitutes to pay for drug addictions and are murdered by bfs high on meth or whatever... Some are honors students in h.s., go to community college, work 2 jobs and are shot in the neck in the passengers seat of their brothers car by her brothers 20yr old old gang rivals thinking he was driving and die on the way to the hospital while her brother or parents even be bothered to get out of bed to come identify the body till later that afternoon. You can't fix what you can't fix, and ppl don't always deserve what they get, but the people who deserve it, always get it.

I watched someone throw themselves under a train in front of me when I was 20.  Haven't watched a gory film since - easy to avoid, but news feeds?  Not so easy.

As for the rest of your post - a solid philosophical viewpoint, to be sure.  But even though logic can tell me not to care, animal instinct to 'correct' nature is a strong driver in all of us.

Which leads me nicely to my next observation (stop yawning at the back there!)

With this being the Thunderdome and all, I have to admit I've been slightly taken aback by the amount of private supportive messages offered since my OP.  Which has led me to wonder if people who identify (consciously or otherwise) as Alpha (and therefore warrior/protector) are:

a) drawn to occupations similar to mine and others on this board where we can at least try to make a difference, and
b) look out for those they recognise as comrades/brothers in arms when they appear to need advice/support

Hmmmm..... deep......

T

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
I watched someone throw themselves under a train in front of me when I was 20.  Haven't watched a gory film since - easy to avoid, but news feeds?  Not so easy.

As for the rest of your post - a solid philosophical viewpoint, to be sure.  But even though logic can tell me not to care, animal instinct to 'correct' nature is a strong driver in all of us.

Which leads me nicely to my next observation (stop yawning at the back there!)

With this being the Thunderdome and all, I have to admit I've been slightly taken aback by the amount of private supportive messages offered since my OP.  Which has led me to wonder if people who identify (consciously or otherwise) as Alpha (and therefore warrior/protector) are:

a) drawn to occupations similar to mine and others on this board where we can at least try to make a difference, and
b) look out for those they recognise as comrades/brothers in arms when they appear to need advice/support

Hmmmm..... deep......

I've noticed the same when I get Pm's from ppl I've "battled" with here asking advice with their addiction issues. Whatever beef I had with them is squashed n I help however I csn.

The bottom part of your post reminds me of the Sunday just before I was arrested back in November, I was leaving a exotic car Gumball Rally and I let a car go in front of me while I was making a right turn and then we are both sitting at the light waiting to make a left turn and the light turns green in the guy in the Mustang takes off and another car Blaze's the red the light and I can still hear the engine scream now and he ran the red and T-boned the car in front of me at over 90 miles per hour. First thing I did was trying to get over to the side of the road and park so I can be of some assistance.. Everybody seemed to just be stuck and not moving.. finally I can up to the car the first car anyways... Well, ill skip the small stuff, the point I'm getting to is I'm trying to get this dude's door open, and then try to check a pulse and do a sternum rub try to wake him up and it's dark as shit cuz there's no headlights and whatever everything is fucking smashed no interior lights nothing and I'm trying to get the other bystanders to hold my phone and use it as a flashlight so I can see what the fuck I'm doing while I'm holding this dudes head 'n neck as straight as I can.. Checking for injuries, asking the bystander who is telling me he was a medic to look inside the door and see if the window was there still or if the guys head went through the window cuz I can't see blood cause my shirt or my jacket is black (noticed brains on my sleeve after) and the "medic" is Stuck on Stupid and I'm using the flashlight to check his pupils and I look around and everybody else is just standing there fucking watching like five ten feet away not trying to help at all. Everybody's screaming about gas everywhere and cars gonna blow up.. Like I can't smell it too? Like they're ok with just not doing anything.

I mean, I don't get how people to stand around and watch and have it on their conscious and go home and sleep at night knowing that just sat and watched some young 22 year old kid die in front of it they didn't do shit. Like they're just gonna be looking at the car if it caught fire stand there and watch some 22 year old kid and his girlfriend who got a compound fracture in her leg just sit there and burn to death make a go home and sleep at night just perfectly fine... like that mentality I can't fucking relate to... I don't get it.

The other girl I mentioned above was a "gf", (was cheating on my wife, unfortunately.) And an employee of mine at the fundraising office Iran, I was driving her brother's car because her car was getting an engine swap. She was a short Lao girl, so her seat was up towards the dash,& mine was back. Had I been further up, the bullet that hit her neck would be hit my shoulder and she'd be alive and I'd be fine. Had to think of that for a long time. Remember the sounds and look on her face... Anyways.

I think some of us are more comfortable in bad situations and seek out situations where we can do things others can't. Gf pointed that out a while back. Like she'd be afraid to go into a store at 2am in a bad neighborhood with a couple thug lookin dudes in the parking lot. "What if they pull a gun and rob us?" And I'd think "shit I hope they do. That's be awesome. I'll take it from them and beat'em with it. They won't expect it.. I'm a fucking RBSD instructor. I'd be doing society a favor blah blah blah" etc... Infer when girls think like that, but guys? How do guys live with themselves? Ill never understand that..

Anyways I'm rambling...

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »
Compliment accepted  8)  Although my Uncle was a Chief Inspector (which might correlate roughly to a US Captain, maybe?), and I appreciate Agnostic007 too so maybe it's in the blood...  ;)

It's not that I wallow in this stuff, but a Google News feed for example can't block specific acts of violence/abuse - I don't suppose anyone knows of an alternative news aggregator that does?

And the protection being offered is a total block of all 18+ material, but as the sysadmin I can add websites to a whitelist, so the moment of reflection would probably come at the point I clicked 'add exception'  ;D

That's good, though.  You'll avoid walking into stuff in an absent minded state.  It's the only way to go, for what you're trying to do.

Btw, there are news feeds that will filter as you want.  I'm sure.  One method is to choose some things you DO want to read about, then set it to search only for those subjects and nothing else.  Build on your list as you go. 

You're better off separating yourself from Gooble, anyway, since it's such a dishonest thing.  It really does suck.  They've been a major player in creating all the negativity in the first place.  They're the last scum on this earth you should want "informing" you about anything, which they do by placing information in a certain way on your feed.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !