Author Topic: AAU Mister America - Discuss the AAU History  (Read 332321 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: AAU Mister America - Discuss the AAU History
« Reply #525 on: September 25, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »
1976 Mr America - AAU

Overall Winner Kalman Szkalak

Tall
1     Kalman Szkalak
2     Clint Beyerle
3     Dusty Caldwell
4     Doug Nagy
5     James Buckley
6     Willie Robinson

Medium
1     Dave Johns
2     Joe Means
3     Fred Shandor
4     Richard Baldwin
5     Bob Gallucci
6     Eddie Love
7     Vic Seipke
8     Paul Santos
9     Alex McNeil

Short
1     Pat Neve
2     Ron Teufel
3     Tom Platz
4     Lawrence Gordon (2)
5     Robert DePalma
6     James Davies
7     Tom Hicks
8     Steve Borodinsky

Most Muscular
1     Joe Means
2     Kalman Szkalak
3     Pat Neve
4     Clint Beyerle
5     Dave Johns

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2021, 08:23:47 AM »
Muscle Builder, Vol 17, Num 8, Page 64, November 1976

1976 MR. AMERICA AAU REPORT
Text and Photos by Bob Berry
Philadelphia - Kalman Szkalak, a virtual unknown out of Gold's Gym in Venice, California, copped his height class and two body part awards to soar above more experienced and better-known competition to win the 1976 AAU Mr. America contest before a small and spiritless crowd.

After displaying stunning size coupled with good proportion to make a seemingly-effortless sweep of the tall class, Szkalak kept favorite Dave Johns and Clint Beyerle to second and third respectively when the ballots were in following a gruelling posedown in the overall competition.

Despite poor lighting, used for the previous weightlifting meet, and a general lacklustre flavor to the whole event, several athletes out of the field of 24 looked incredibly sharp and managed to stir the taciturn audience.

SHORT CLASS

Coming off of a neck injury suffered in a car accident that only hampered contest training, Pat Neve actually improved over his striking form of last year. With a greater accent on his legs, Neve put it all together to win the short class.

Last year's Teenage Mr. America Roland Teufel was a crowd pleaser in gaining second place. Spiralling improvement has this man ticketed to be a contender next year.

Tom Platz, on the smooth side, earned third place.

MEDIUM CLASS

Favorite Dave Johns disbanded all opponents with his well-honed mass in winning the class. There was contention from the slashed-to-ribbons Joe Means who placed second, but Johns' muscle size qualmed the rush. Fred Shandor took third place in a fight which could have justly gone to either Bob Gallucci or Rich Baldwin.

TALL CLASS

Only six contestants here, and it was all Szkalak, who was promptly dubbed "Kal the Unpronounceable." Clint Beyerle, looking smaller and less-defined than his strong showing of last year, managed only a mild challenge to the awesome bulk of Szkalak. Dusty Caldwell rated third.

SUBDIVISIONS

Best Abs - Teufel easily bagged this award with his closest competition coming from Neve and Means.

Best Arms - Szkalak put the guns to Johns and Neve and came up a big winner.

Best Back - Probably the strongest bodypart of the Szkalak physique. Once again an easy victory over Johns and Neve.

Best Legs - The size of several entrants couldn't deal with Means' extreme separation and definition. Beyerle and Johns proved to be the closest competitors.

Most Muscular - As the finalists were announced, Johns fifth...Beyerle fourth...Neve third... Szkalak runner-up, the crowd buzzed to the anticipation that young Teufel would win the most muscular. However Means, in all his striated splendor, won over the judges. There was the belief amongst some observers that despite his terrific cuts, Means lacked mass and density.

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #527 on: September 25, 2021, 08:24:21 AM »
Muscular Development, Vol 13, No 5, Page 34, September 1976

Mr. America Contest
A Clean Sweep For California
By Bill Reynolds
THE BICENTENNIAL EDITION of the Mr. America contest is now history, and after all the smoke had cleared three young Californians occupied the top spots. Like last year at Culver City, Philadelphia featured a surprise winner in the sensational young Kalman Szkalak, current Mr. California from Gold's Gym in Venice.

There were several notable highlites at this contest, but also a couple low points. Let's get the bad out of the way first so we can concentrate on the good. When compared to the top five from last year's Mr. America, this year's winners were equally outstanding, but the overall depth was a bit shallow. I can think of a minimum of 15 very good American bodybuilders--many of them Easterners--who failed to show. Can it be that they're afraid to risk their carefully nurtured reputations in the big national competitions?

MR. AMERICA CONTESTANTS

Short Division

Pat Neve
Ron Teufel
Tom Platz
Lawrence Gordon
Naim Dib
Robert DePalma
James Davis, Jr
Tommy Hicks
Steve Borodinsky
Medium Division

Dave Johns
Joe Means
Fred Shandor
Rich Baldwin
Bob Gallucci
Eddie Love
Victor Seipke
Paul Santos
Alex McNeil
Tall Division

Kalman Szkalak
Clint Beyerle
Dusty Caldwell
Douglas Nagy
James Buckery
Willie Robinson, III
Most Muscular

Joe Means
Kalman Szkalak
Pat Neve
Clint Beyerle
Dave Johns
Subdivisions

Best Arms - Kalman Szkalak
Best Back - Kalman Szkalak
Best Chest - Kalman Szkalak
Best Abdominals - Ron Teufel
Best Legs - Joe Jeans

The Top 10

Kalman Szkalak
Dave Johns
Clit Beyerle
Joe Means
Pat Neve
Ron Teufel
Fred Shandor
Tom Platz
Rich Baldwin
Lawrence Gordon
The second problem is one I still can't believe. There was absolutely no posing light at the public presentation. The contestants were forced to pose under normal house lighting, which showed very little in the way of muscularity. For many of the entrants this was a disaster, and anyone who missed the prejudging under a spot actually missed the contest. To compound this problem, a camerman from some local television station zapped on his floodlight unit every time someone looked good to him, causing a total washout of muscularity. I always like to portray my favorite sport in its best "light," but I'm afraid that the organizing committee blew a fuse on this one!

The light of the contest was provided primarily by the great young Kal Szkalak, overall Mr. America, tall class winner, second in Most Muscular, and winner of Best Arms, Chest and Back. For a 23-year-old competing in only his third contest, this was a sensational triumph!

You can read a lot more about Kal in my interview in this issue, but let me say that he made absolutely sensational improvement in the six weeks between his Mr. Californiaand Mr. America victories. He'd dieted longer and hit his legs harder, so his cuts were improved and his lower body much more in proportion to his upper body. Kal told me he felt about 25 percent improved, and I'd have to agree with him.

I don't think that anyone in the audience after the contest had a doubt that Kal's going to be one of the real greats very soon. His shape is outstanding and his symmetry almost flawless, He has that rare ability to look good from any angle, a quality that he shares with his predecessor Dale Adrian. Combine these qualities with steel hard definition and massive size like 20-inch-plus upper arms and you have something very special.

A smiling second to Szkalak was Dave Johns, runner-up to Kal at the Mr. California contest but who won the current Jr. Mr. America. Dave has superior symmetry, a tribute to his perseverance and to the guidance of his trainer Bill Pearl. Dave once had big arms and little else, but he's gradually built up each lagging bodypart until nothing stands out over any other bodypart at this point. At 220 pounds, Dave was the biggest man in the contest with any kind of physique at all. He was very impressive in his fine display.

Third was Clinton Beyerle, also of Pearl's Gym. Clint was much improved--indeed, he weighed about eight pounds more than last year, but with equal cuts--but he dropped a notch from his finish last year. Many less mature bodybuilders would have stormed off the stage at this result, but Clint took the decision with consummate dignity, a tribute to his sportsmanship. It is really a pity that we can't have more than one AAU Mr. America each year, because Beyerle would make a very good one, as would Johns, Means and the amazing Pat Neve.

At this point, I'd like to go class by class through the individual contestants, giving a bit of biographical information on each. Like last year, I'm indebted to Master of Ceremonies Len Bosland for much of this data. And like last year, Len did a great job of running the public presentation of the show.

Short Class

Bob DePalma -- Bobwas first up in the 5'7" and under class. He hails from Waterbury, Connecticut. Bob's 26, 5'4" and weighs 170. He works as a hospital supervisor and is single. He had a nicely balanced build, and with a little more work he should be in the money.

Niam Deb -- Niam was at the prejudging, but he didn't show up for the final. He had rather strange definition, with startling arm cuts and fair legs, but a relatively smooth upper body.

Steve Borodinsky -- A finalist in last year's Teenage Mr. America, Steve is from Bridgewater, New Jersey. He is studying political science at Rutgers. Still only 19, Steve's 5'5½"tall and still single. His side chest pose is pretty remarkable, but he needs better definition.

Ron Teufel -- A definite crowd favorite from Prospect Park, Pennsylvania, Teufel was quite a surprise to me. Even though he was last year's Teenage Mr. America and a recentM D coverman, Ron showed me far more muscle than I'd expected. Indeed, Ron was avery close second to Neve in this class, as well as the Best Abdominal winner. Ron is also 19, 5'5½", and still single. He told me he's benched 430 at 185 and has never lost a bench press contest.

Tom Hicks -- Tom's Pat Neve's training partner at the Phoenix, Arizona YMCA. He is 5'6" tall, 168 pounds, 29 years old and works as a machinist. Tom showed a light, but very hard physique. I found him to be a quiet guy, but very easy to get along with.

Pat Neve -- The Phoenix superman was also a recent M D coverman, but he was showing the effects of his tragic auto accident several months ago. Rear-ended at a stop sign, Pat suffered a cracked cervical vertebra and was confined to a neck brace for several weeks. Despite the lost training, Pat had improved his overall symmetry and was a finalist for Best Arms, Chest, Back and Abs. Had it not been for the missed training time from his accident, Pat could very well be wearing the Mr. A crown today. This is especially tragic, since Pat is thinking of retirement now.

Jim Davis -- Jim traveled from Atlanta, Georgia to compete. He's 25 and weighed 180 at 5'7". He manages a health spa and is single. I thought he had great proportions, but Jim could use more size and sharper definition.

Larry Gordon -- Flying all the way from Anchorage, Alaska, Larry made a commendable showing with his hardness and good proportions. He weighed 185 at 5'7" and works as an administrator for the Anchorage parks system. He's 35 years of age and single.

Tom Platz -- Tom was the last contestant up in the short class, and he ended up with the third place trophy in that division. He hails from Troy, Michigan and weighed a massive 200 pounds at 5'7". A 20-year-old, Tom attends college as a physical education major. We talked during the prejudging and he came across as a very dedicated bodybuilder. He has phenomenal thigh development, come by honestly via parallel squats like his recent 27 reps with 405.

Medium Class

Paul Santos -- Paul kicked off the 5'7" to 5'10" class. Traveling from Hartford, Connecticut to compete, Paul was an S&H coverman about this time last year. He weighs 195 at 5'7½" and is 24 years of age. He's single and works as a mechanic. Paul was very massive and looked especially good in his last two poses--a Boyer Coe type pose with arms extended to the sides, then crunching down into a most muscular shot.

Fred Shandor -- a real veteran of national competition at 32, Fred is from nearby Manville, New Jersey. At 5'7½" and 185, Fred showed a very balanced physique with especially good calves. It landed him in third place for the medium division. Fred's a probation officer and married. He told me he'd spent the last month training at Pearl's in Pasadena, and he credited "The Master" with full responsibility for his recent improvements.

Richard Baldwin -- Richard showed the audience a type of physique that even the general public would admire. He has fine proportions, was very trim looking and displayed very good arms and shoulders. He came from Tallahassee, Florida where he works as an assistant manager at a health spa. He's married, 29 years old, 5'8" tall and about 185 pounds of pure muscle.

Bob Gallucci -- A former Collegiate Mr. America and Teenage Mr. America, Bob lives in Windsor, Connecticut. He's a Junior High physical education teacher. Bob's married, 25, 5'9" and 200 pounds. He looked very good, but he was the palest of all the contestants. With a better tan and slightly better cuts, Bob's proportionate and massive physique would certainly have placed higher.

Eddie Love -- From Indianapolis, Indiana, Eddie packed 192 pounds of muscle on his 5'9" frame. He's 23, married and works as an orderly. Eddie has good muscle quality, but his proportions seemed a little off.

Alex McNeil -- Alex traveled from Jackson, Mississippi where he is with the police department. He's married, 35, 5'9" and 200 pounds. Alex had very impressive legs, and when he flexed his calf the audience really sat up and took notice.

Joe Means -- Joe's also a law enforcement officer, but he's from Columbia, South Carolina. At 5'9", Joe had trained down to 185, a drop of 15 pounds from his contest weight last year. He's 25 years of age and single (although his fiancee accompanied him to the contest, so it shouldn't be long before Joe "bites the dust"). Means was extremely cut up and has great body lines. He won Most Muscular, as well as Best Legs. Like last year's leg winner, Dale Adrian, Joe can display his sartorius quite prominently.

Vic Seipke -- At 44, Vic was the oldest competitor, but he gave up little in the way of muscle to the fellows 20 years younger. Vic's from Detroit, Michigan where he works as a firefighter. He's married and at 5'9" weighs 195 pounds. I was impressed with Vic's abdominals. He told me he was using this contest as a warmup for the upcoming Mr. America past 40. Looking over myoId Strength & Healths, I noticed that Vic was a top competitor in the Mr. America contest over 20 years ago!

Dave Johns -- Giant Dave was the final contestant in the medium division. He lives in North Hollywood, California and commutes a half hour each way to Bill Pearl's gym in Pasadena for his workouts. At almost 5'10" in height, Johns weighed a massive 220 and sported 20" arms. Dave's 28 years old, works as a probation officer and is married. He is the current Jr. Mr. America and came through fora big second place in this competition.

Tall Class

Kalman Szkalak -- The over 5'10" class started out with a bang--namely the eventual overall winner in the massive shape of 210 pound, 5'10" Kal Szkalak. Kal's married and works as a mixologist. For more details on this great bodybuilder, see his interview on page 32 in this issue, and his photo on the cover.

Clint Beyerle -- Clint lives in Southgate, a Los Angeles suburb and, like Johns, he also commutes to Pasadena to train under the direction of Bill Pearl. Clint will soon finish his studies for a chiropractic degree and his story was featured in the last MD. He could have placed higher, but one or two of his fellow contestants had spread some very uncomplimentary rumors about how Clint gets his vascularity. I've known him for five years, and he's always had the veins, so rest assured that the rumors are untrue. Also rest assured that Clint deserves the title and is a really great physique.

Doug Nagy -- Nagy is from Pennsylvania and at 24 years of age, he packs 185 pounds on his frame. He's married and works as a typewriter repair technician. With more size, he could be a threat in the future.

James Buckery -- A hometown man, Jim weighed 235 at 6'2" in height. A married 32-yearold, he works as a longshoreman. He impressed me as having a wealth of raw potential, as of yet not developed.

Dusty Caldwell -- Dusty ended up in third for this height class, but it was largely because of the undistinguished nature of the tall competitors past the first two places. Dusty is in the Air Force and stationed at McGuire AFB, New Jersey. He works as a technician/mathematician. At 28 years of age he carries 212 pounds on a 6'3" frame. He's single.

Willie Robinson -- From Los Angeles, Willie manages a racetrack. He weighed 270 pounds at 6'6" in height. He's 33 and married. Willie appeared relatively muscle-less and smooth. In the opinion of many, he should never have been allowed to compete, as his physique was below the standard usually expected from a Mr. America contestant.

The Subdivisions

Best Abdominals finalists were Ron Teufel, Joe Means and Pat Neve. All were quite outstanding, but Teufel took the award. He was extremely well developed in the midsection, with very deep ab development and terrific intercostals. Val Vasilef presented the trophy.

Finalists for Best Arms were Kal Szkalak, Dave Johns and Pat Neve, all of whom possessed superior arm development. In the end, Kal's size and balance won out. His arms measured slightly over 20 inches of muscle on my tape a month before the contest. Bob Hoffman presented the trophy and shook each contestant's hand enthusiastically.

When Best Back finalists were called out, the three from Best Arms remained. Val Vasilef presented the gold again to Kal Szkalak. Actually this subdivision was probably the tightest of all, with each of the three contestants looking extremely good.

Szkalak, Johns and Neve remained out for Best Chest. By the time this happened, everyone had just about concluded that these three had the best upper bodies in the contest. Again the massive Kal Szkalak received the trophy, this time from Jim Morris, a former Mr. America who was no stranger to that particular subdivision.

Best Legs finalists turned out to be Joe Means, Clint Beyerle and Tom Platz. Chris Dickerson, whom many consider to have the greatest legs, presented the award to Joe Means. And Joe had real leg cuts, as well as good proportions.

Most Muscular Man had five place winners. The fifth man was Dave Johns with his terrific size, while fourth was Clint Beyerle with his outstanding vascularity. Pat Neve settled in third and Szkalak in second. Finally an elated Joe Means was presented the first place award by Jim Morris.

Class Winners

Short Class winners were Neve first, Teufel second and Tom Platz third. This was a very close contest for first and second. Mrs. Evelyn Mayor, wife of the overall show organizer Dave Mayor, presented this trophy.

In the medium height class, Dave Johns was a clear winner. Means was second, and the well-proportioned Fred Shandor was third. Dave Mayor passed out the awards to these three fine athletes.

Kal Szkalak won out over Clint Beyerle in the tall class and Dusty Caldwell was third. Kal was really quite overpowering with his size, cuts and body lines.

Place Winners

Huge trophies were awarded to the first three winners. Earl Williams, meet. administrator, gave the third place trophy to Clint Beyerle. Second place was awarded by Ted Jordon, Deputy Commissioner from Philadelphia Recreation Department, to a very happy Dave Johns. And finally the big moment had come. First place--a huge trophy--was awarded during thunderous applause by Robert Crawford, Recreation Director for Philadelphia, to Kal Szkalak. Kal was justifiably elated. He and his wife Joan embraced for long seconds after he was given his award and before he faced the public.

Judges and Personalities

Before wrapping up this report, I'd like to mention the judges who labored for nearly eight hours to separate the contestants. National Physique Chairman Ralph Countryman of Oakland, California picked nine judges and ably directed the contest. The judges were Dr. Michael Walczak from Los Angeles, Tony Nicolini from New Jersey, head judge Peary Rader from Nebraska, Jerome Weiss from Ohio, Jim Mannion from Pennsylvania, Val Vasilef from New Jersey, Chris Dickerson from New York, Tim Neller from Oklahoma and Tom Ciola from the Adirondak Association of the AAU. Overall this was a great group, and I heard very few complaints about the final placings.

Among the many celebrities I met were John Grimek, Mr. America in 1940 and 1941; Jim Park, Mr. America in 1951; Dan Lurie, America's Most Muscular Man in 1942 and 1943; Jim Morris, a recent Mr. America; Val Vasilef, Mr. America in the mid-1960's,and Mr. America-Mr. Universe Chris Dickerson.

Next year's Mr. America contest has tentatively been awarded to Gold's Gym of Venice and it will be held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. We all had a great time in Philly. Maybe we'll see you next year! MD

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #528 on: September 25, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
1977 Mr America - AAU

Overall Winner Dave Johns

Tall
1     Manuel Perry
2     Clint Beyerle
3     Pete Grymkowski
4     Dave Rogers
5     Dave Dupree
6     Saladin Ibn El Amin
7     Floyd Odom
8     Dennis Holmes
9     Louie Perotta

Medium
1     Dave Johns
2     C F Smith
3     Douglas Beaver
4     Lawrence Gordon (1)
5     Patrick Ruelle
6     Charles Amato
7     Dominick Coroniti
8     Robert Reis
9     Lance Dreher
10     Nathan LeBlanc
11     Vic Seipke
12     Alan Katoa
13     Alex McNeil
14     William Chapoton
15     Tom James
16     Benny Crawford
17     Sam Sanchez
18     James Pittman

Short
1     Ron Teufel
2     Tom Platz
3     Don Peterson
4     Andreas Cahling
5     Ron Neff
6     Robert Jodkiewicz
7     Bill Register
8     Bob May
9     Lawrence Gordon (2)
10     Dominick DiBetta
11     Donald Dawson

Most Muscular
1     Dave Johns
2     Ron Teufel
3     Clint Beyerle

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2021, 08:25:47 AM »
Muscular Development, Vol 14, No 5, Page 20, October 1977

The 1977 Mr. America Contest
Held in Santa Monica, CA July 16th.
By John C Grimek
THIS YEAR'S MR. AMERICA Contest was an extravaganza! A very colorful event, it was also a very successful one as the auditorium was "jam-packed" at both sessions.

To get things rolling for the big event, a parade was held about noon on the day of the contest. A Lot of bands and performers took part but the "hit" of the parade was the musclemen who rode atop elephants ala Tarzan style. Among these men was Ken Waller who pleased the crowd by flexing his biceps and lifting his chest as he paraded past the throng-filled streets. A float with a banner heralding Gold's Gym was also lined with musclemen and a few shapely females.

Results submitted
by Dave Sauer

Short Class

Ron Teufel
Tom Platz
Don Peterson
Andreas Cahling
Ron Neff
Robert Jodkiewicz
William Register
Bob May
Lawrence S Gordon
Dominick DiBetta
Donald Dawson
Medium Class

Dave Johns
C F Smith
Douglas Beaver
Larry M Gordon
Pat Ruelle
Charles Amato
Dominick Coroniti
Robert Reis
Lance Dreher
Nathan LeBlanc
Victor Seipke
Alan Katoa
Alex McNeil
Bill Chapoton
Tom James
Benny Crawford
Samuel Sanchez
James Pittman
Tall Class

Manuel Perry
Clinton Beyerle
Pete Grymkowski
Dave Rogers
David DuPree
Saladin Ibn El-Amin
Floyd Odom
Dennis Holmes
Louie Perrotta
1977 Mr America Winners
& Runners-up

Dave Johns
Manuel Perry
Ron Teufel
Subdivision Awards

Best Abdominals - Teufel
Best Arms - Perry
Best Back - Johns
Best Chest - Johns
Best Legs - Platz
Best Poser - Perry
Most Muscular - Dave Johns

The Grand Marshal of the parade was Bert Goodrich, and he was followed by another car with Dan Lurie and his wife, then a Santa Monica official followed.

The parade continues for well over two hours and terminated at the Santa Monica Auditorium where the prejudging was scheduled. By this time the doors of the auditorium were already opened and much of the crowd who came to see the prejudging was already in their seats.

The place was filled to near capacity and it took about three hours to complete the prejudging. It was a fine performance, however, and it was quite obvious that those who attended appreciated the efforts of the men who were being judged.

The stage was huge and although the lights were specially set, they were not as good as expected. Many of the contestants moved too far front and got into too much shadow, although the two lower lights did silhouette the body somewhat to give a fine outline. Not all the poses, of course, were suited to this type of lighting, though occasionally one of the posers struck a compatible pose and he looked especially impressive.

Yet the overall effect was often lost because of the lighting. I mention this only because a number of people discussed the lighting with me, thinking I had something to do with it. A few didn't mince words either, and when they found I had nothing to do with it, then they became even more expressive.

On the whole, however, the idea for the evening performance was excellent! The same type of lighting was used but this time there were three men on stage at a time - one was in the spotlight and the other two remained ready in the darkened areas.

As soon as one man completed his poses, the lights were doused over him and an introduction was given to the man who was waiting for the spotlight to hit him...and best of all, an orchestra was on stage playing accompaniment as the man posed. A lot of credit must be given to the director because he tried to set his tempo to the way the man posed and sometimes he had it down so well that it seemed as if they had practiced for a long time in order to perfect it. Yet, it was all done on the spur of the moment!

The evening performance started on time and played to a full house, 3500-plus...there were very few (if any) empty seats in the auditorium that night.

The thirty-odd contestants were all presented on stage and then, they were brought out individually although, as we said, there were always three men on stage at all times. This contributed to things running so smoothly and there was never much of a lull.

At one point a break was given, however, and the handbalancing team of David and Goliath was presented. These two have had a very impressive handbalancing act for years but in this case the lighting was not what was expected and the effect they presented was not as dramatic as usual. Moreover, they were not accustomed to the stage and Goliath, the bottom man, wasn't as secure and stable as he has been in the past. Nevertheless, the exhibition proved to be a big success with the crowd.

Unfortunately, however, there was one sore spot in the event. Serge Nubret who made the trip from Paris as a guest poser was not permitted to pose. The Pro Mr. Universe titleholder appeared to be in hard, muscular condition and was prepared to present his posing routine...but at the last minute was barred from doing so. At the AAU/IFBB meeting the next day certain facts were brought to light about Nubret doing an expose about the IFBB. So, it was clear to all who wondered why Nubret did not appear and when the meeting was over, Nubret filled everyone in as to why he thinks he was barred. But knowing how the IFBB operates, it figures!

Getting back to the contest itself, however. The MC did a fine job throughout the evening but in his haste to introduce Mae West he forgot to announce the winner. He only called the third place and second place men up but most people correctly concluded that the winner was Dave Johns.

He also failed to announce who won the Most Muscular and the subdivisions...but I can understand his position. As Mae entered she got a big hand, and since he was trying to give her a complimentary introduction, his mind forgot the details.

Yet, because of Mae West, Dave Johns' picture got worldwide coverage. We salute you Dave Johns and we hope you wear the crown well!

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #530 on: September 25, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »
1978 Mr America - AAU

Overall Winner Tony Pearson

Tall
1     Manuel Perry
2     Clint Beyerle
3     Gary Leonard
4     Rod Koontz
5     Frank Wainwright
6     William Nuckols
7     John Aldrich
8     Louie Perotta

Medium
1     Tony Pearson
2     Larry Jackson (1)
3     Richard Baldwin
4     Lawrence Gordon (1)
5     Robert Reis
6     Ray Mentzer
7     Ron Magnum
8     Ron McBeath
9     Eddie Love
10     C F Smith
11     Donald Ausmus
12     Douglas Beaver
13     Fred Shandor
14     Sam Sanchez
15     Charles Thomas
16     Robert Klez
17     Keith Kephart
18     Gary Goss
19     James Nelson
20     Ronald Buchanan

Short
1     Ron Teufel
2     Tom Platz
3     Carlos Rodriguez
4     Anthony Pandolfo
5     John Iacobelli
6     James Seitzer
7     David Mastorakis
8     Sammie Willis
9     Mike Arnold
10     Robert Jodkiewicz
11     Lionel Gaubert
12     James Gaubert
13     John Ruehlman
14     Ron Barrett

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #531 on: September 25, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
Muscular Development, Vol 15, No 6, Page 30, December 1978

1978 MR. AMERICA CONTEST
Cincinati, Ohio
September 2, 1978
Reported by Jan Dellinger
ON SATURDAY evening, September the 2nd, bodybuilding aficionados from across the United States jammed into the majestic Cincinnati Music Hall auditorium to witness the main event in the realm of muscledom...the crowning of a new Mr. America.

As usual, this prestigious happening provided plenty of excitement and a few surprises. According to pre-contest gossip, most of those in attendance felt that it would be basically a one, or possibly, two-man competition. However, one of the most enticing features about bodybuilding is its unpredictability and it was evident on this occasion.

Placings in
Each Height Category
Results by Dave Sauer

Short Group

Ron Teufel
Tom Platz
Carlos Rodriguez
Tony Pandolfo
John Iacobelli
James Seitzer
Dave Mastorakis
Sammie Willis
Mike Arnold
Robert Jodkiewicz
Lionel Gaubert
James Gaubert
John Ruehlman
Ron Barrett
Medium Group

Tony Pearson
Larry Jackson
Richard Baldwin
Larry Gordon
Robert Reis
Ray Mentzer
Ron Mangum
Ron McBeath
Eddie Love
C. F. Smith
Don Ausmus
Doug Beaver
Fred Shandor
Sam Sanchez
Charles Thomas
Robert Klez
Keith Kephart
Gary Goss
James Nelson
Ron Buchanan
Tall Group

Manuel Perry
Clinton Beyerle
Gary Leonard
Rod Koontz
Frank Wainwright
William Nuckols
John Aldrich
Lou Perrotta
Subdivisions

Mr. America
Tony Pearson
Most Muscular Man
Tony Pearson
Best Abdominals
Ron Teufel
Best Arms
Manuel Perry
Best Back
Larry Jackson
Best Chest
Larry Jackson
Best Legs
Tom Platz
Best Poser
Tony Pearson
Mr. America
Pose-down Results

Tony Pearson
Four 1st place votes
(Graham, Kuehn,
Miller & Wulff)
Ron Teufel
Two 1st place votes
(Manion & Mese)
Manuel Perry
One 1st place vote
(Hudson)
Judges:
Mike Graham,
Byron Hudson, Kent
Kuehn, Jim Manion,
John Mese, Rod
Miller, Harry Wulff
The proceedings got underway with a resounding bang as the legendary Bill Pearl commemorated the 25th anniversary of his 1953 Mr. America victory by staging an absolutely phenomenal posing display. This was a rare treat, indeed, for it afforded comparative newcomers-like this reporter-and long-time followers of the bodybuilding game an opportunity to watch the famed Pearl physique in action...and believe me, at the age of 48, he's still got it.

Needless to say, the crowd was definitely responsive to Pearl's efforts. In fact, each new pose generated more enthusiasm than the one before it. When he concluded, the audience showed its appreciation with a thunderous standing ovation.

Being the "class guy" that he is, Pearl reciprocated by addressing the zealous throng, expressing his fondness for bodybuilding and thanking fans everywhere for their loyal support.

The festivities' upbeat tempo heightened even more as the short class competitors for the Mr. America diadem filed out on stage. As one scrutinized this fine group of athletes, it was obvious that the judges had their work cut out for them. Naturally, the "smart money" was on Ron Teufel because he won this class and finished third overall at last year's Mr. A contest. Plus he had quite a streak going for himself this year, taking such highly regarded titles as Mr. USA and Mr. California. The latter award is a particularly good omen, for in recent years winners of this contest have used it as a stepping stone to the Mr. America crown. However, as we shall soon see, it was not to be in Ron's case.

Keeping the pressure on Teufel in the short division were such men as Tom "Mr. Legs" Platz, Sammie Willis, the fast-rising Gaubert brothers, Lionel and James, the current Jr. Mr. California, Robert Jodkiewicz, Tony Pandolfo and Dave Mastorakis.

When it was all said and done, Ron Teufel prevailed, with Platz coming second and Carlos Rodriguez, a newcomer to AAU Mr. America competition, taking third.

Talk about a star-studded lineup...get a load of some of the big names that vied for the top spot in the medium height division...C. F. Smith, Ray Mentzer, Florida physique sensation, Richard Baldwin, Doug "the Bear" Beaver-who was third in this class last year- Larry Jackson, winner of the tall class at the Mr. California contest, Tony Pearson, current Jr. Mr. America and Jr. Mr. USA, Robert Reis and Eddie Love.

Here again, the panel of judges had some tough choices to make. But, after considerable deliberation, they had Pearson in first, Jackson second and Baldwin in third.

For the second year in a row, two Californians, Manuel Perry and Clint Beyerle, finished one-two in the tall man competition. After watching these men pose, many observers thought Beyerle may have a chance of upsetting Perry, due to the fact that the latter appeared a bit too smooth. However, the judges did not concur with their opinion.

Third place went to another fast-rising physique-man who was making his first bid for the Mr. A title, Gary Leonard. Rounding out the field in this class was Rod Koontz, a bodybuilder / powerlifter who possesses a rugged build, John Aldrich, 1978 Mr. Iowa, Frank Wainwright, current Mr. PA, Bill Nuckols and Lou Perrotta.

After the tall class had been decided, the moment of truth had arrived. The individual height class winners Teufel, Pearson and Perry were summoned to the stage to give everyone one last look before the final decision was made.

Then everything quieted down and the announcer asked for the envelope containing the name of the winner. As the entire auditorium sat with bated breath, the suspense mounted rapidly. Finally, the announcer declared Tony Pearson 1978 Mr. America.

For some unknown reason, no mention was made as to who was the runner-up and third-place man overall. While there may be a logical explanation for neglecting these awards, it seems to me that the bodybuilding fans who shelled out their hard-earned dollars to see this event were shortchanged to a degree.

Nevertheless, as is often the case, the verdict created quite a bit of controversy among the spectators. Many of the Teufel and Perry rooters reacted vehemently against the decision, claiming that the winner's incomplete calf development impaired his symmetry.

Looking at it objectively, though, many of the experts felt that Teufel appeared slightly overtrained. Reportedly, Ron had reduced his food intake drastically the last couple of days prior to the contest so as to shed a little unwanted bulk and enhance his muscularity which he did. However, he may have overdone it a bit and therefore, their criticism may have been valid.

As far as Manuel Perry is concerned, I have already covered the reason which more than likely led to his downfall. However, in all fairness, I should add that his physique exhibited a great deal of massiveness, particularly his arms.

On the other hand, Pearson partisans maintained that their man had a good combination of size and exceptional muscularity and also had a hot streak of his own, copping the Jr. Mr. America and Jr. Mr. USA titles this year. This, in their mind, made him more than deserving.

Bear in mind too that four of the seven judges gave Pearson first-place votes while Teufel and Perry only got two and one first-place votes respectively.

In addition to winning the Mr. America title, Tony Pearson also corralled two of the sought-after subdivision awards: Most Muscular Man and Best Poser. Other subdivision winners were:

Best Abdominals-Ron Teufel
Best Arms-Manuel Perry
Best Back-Larry Jackson
Best Chest-Larry Jackson
Best Legs-Tom Platz
In closing, I'd like to extend my congratulations to the organizers of the contest in Cincinnati and to those men whose task it was to select this year's Mr. America. * *
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #532 on: September 25, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
1979 Mr America - AAU

Overall Winner Ray Mentzer

Tall
1     Gary Leonard
2     Dave Rogers
3     Clint Beyerle
4     John Kemper
5     Rod Koontz
6     John Brown
7     Caesar Juliani
8     Frank Calta
9     Robert Jordan
10     Gregory Comeaux
11     Patrick Hayes
12     Douglas Williams
13     Paul Montminy
14     Doug Nagy
15     James Buckley
16     Mark Brazen

Medium
1     Ray Mentzer
2     Greg DeFerro
3     Joe Means
4     Les Galvin
5     Mario Nieves
6     Billy Arlen
7     Stephen Sepaniak
8     Richard Baldwin
9     Robert Reis
10     Jesse Gautreaux
11     Gary Goss
12     Ron Magnum
13     Casey Schneider
14     James Allen (2)
15     Tom Alaimo
16     Sam Sanchez
17     Michael Farley
18     Fred Shandor
19     John Mazos

Short
1     Ron Teufel
2     James Seitzer
3     Robert Jodkiewicz
4     Ernie Santiago
5     Anthony Pandolfo
6     Don Peterson
7     David Campbell (1)
8     James Gaubert
9     James Underwood
10     Lionel Gaubert
11     Ken Passariello
12     Wesley Brown
13     Steve Gross
14     John Ruehlman
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #533 on: September 25, 2021, 08:28:24 AM »
Muscular Development, Vol 16, No 6, Page 28, December 1979

MR. AMERICA CONTEST REPORT
By the Editor
still to be typed in

Mr America

Class A

Ron Teufel
Jim Seitzer
Bob Jodkiewicz
Ernest Santiago
Tony Pandolfo
Don Peterson
David Campbell
David Mastorakis
James Gaubert
James Underwood
Lionel Gaubert
Wesley Brown
Steve Gross
John Ruehlman
Class B

Ray Mentzer
Greg Deferro
Joe Means
Les Galvin
Mario Nieves
Bill Arlen
Stephen Sepaniak
Richard Baldwin
Robert Reis
Jessie Gautreaux
Gary Goss
Ron Mangum
Casey Schneider
James Allen
Alex McNeil
Tommy Alaimo
Sam Sanchez
Micheal Farley
Fred Shandor
John Mazo
Class C

Gary Leonard
Dave Rogers
Clinton Beyerle
John Kemper
Rod Koontz
John Brown
Caesar Juliani
Frank Calta
Bob Jordan
Gregory Comeaux
Patrick Hayes
Douglas Williams
Frank Wainwright
Paul Montminy
Douglas Nagy
James Buckery
Mark Brazen
Subdivision Winners

Best Abdominals
Ron Teufel
Best Arms
Gary Leonard
Best Back
Ray Mentzer
Best Legs
Ray Mentzer
Best Chest
Don Pederson
Best Poser
John Brown
Most Muscular
Greg Deferro
PHOTO CAPTIONS
- Mr. America for 1979 is Ray Mentzer from Ephrata, Phennsylvania, but now living in California. Ray also won trophies for Best Legs and Best Back plus his height division. His size and musularity made the difference.

- Doc Neely (left) and Jim Manion, Physique Chairman, congratulate Ray on his Mr. America vicotry. Doc Neely and his staff dis a fine job on the contest.

- Greg Defarro won Most Muscular.

- Ron Teufel won his height class (short) and took the Best Abdominal trophy. He looked very musuclar in the contest.

- Gary Leonard was one of the favorites. he won his height class (tall) and the Best Arms trophy.

- A view of some of the Class-A contestants in the lineup. The massiveness of the lettering AMERICA in the background make the setting even more dramatic.

- Dave Rogers placed second in his class division and looked heavier and mroe muscular than when he appeared on our cover in 1978, the October edition.

- The top contestants in the tall class lineup. Extreme right is John Brown whose posing routien was nicely done. He got the Best Poser award...and deserved it.

- Jim Seltzer placed 2nd to Ron Teufel. He was among those favored in the short class.

- Bob Jodkiewicz, short class, placed 3rd.

- Joe Means was back on the scene. He picked up a 3rd.

- Clint Beyerle also placed 3rd in Class-C.

- The top men in the medium height class. From left: Dick Baldwin, Mario Nieves, Greg Deferro, Ray Mentzer and Joe Means. All potential winners.

- Two well-built contestants; Bill Arlen (left) and Les Galvin.

- A fine pose of Richard Baldwin.

- Mario Nieves displays a great physique.

- Another impressive musular pose of the winner, Ray Mentzer.

- Mr. America waves his hands in a victorious gesture while the huge throng that packed the auditorium that night applauded vociferously. Unidentified young lady and fellow (on right) gave out trophies. The massive lettering can be appreciated in this photo by Denie.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #534 on: September 28, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
1980 Mr America - AAU

Overall Winner Gary Leonard

HeavyWeight
1     Gary Leonard
2     Greg DeFerro
3     Lance Dreher