Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47204 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2008, 12:26:50 AM »
When choosing spotters, you will need to make sure they can lift the weight you use. ;)

That dude must have felt like a GIANT puss, hahahaha!

Your getting strong as hell. Keep us posted!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »
rip is powerful female and it's just a matter of time before someone starts making action figurines in her exact likeness.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »
Geo is a true entrepreneur.

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »
wickedtruth is totally right...I shouldn't have done that many sets of 175.  I am still learning how to structure these workouts, and I kinda screwed that one up.  My plan is to be doing something similar to what was described above... working up to a max set and then back it down for a few sets.

The way that the crew I train with does it is if you have a 5x5 with a target of 175 you only do 175 on your last set. You warm up and then do jumps up to your target. Say 135,145,155,165,175. If you are chomping at the bit and feeling strong you could do five lb jumps. Maybe your sick and you do 15lb jumps to save energy. Whatever as long as you get your target. It is always rising bar. If you miss set 3 you can redo it on set four and try to get the weight one jump down from your target on your 5th or just call it a day. I know a LOT of lifters that train like this. Keeps your program nice and short because you just have to keep track of your targets. It takes into account your day to day energy level and you cant go down in a meet. Train like you compete!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 06:46:49 AM »
The way that the crew I train with does it is if you have a 5x5 with a target of 175 you only do 175 on your last set. You warm up and then do jumps up to your target. Say 135,145,155,165,175. If you are chomping at the bit and feeling strong you could do five lb jumps. Maybe your sick and you do 15lb jumps to save energy. Whatever as long as you get your target. It is always rising bar. If you miss set 3 you can redo it on set four and try to get the weight one jump down from your target on your 5th or just call it a day. I know a LOT of lifters that train like this. Keeps your program nice and short because you just have to keep track of your targets. It takes into account your day to day energy level and you cant go down in a meet. Train like you compete!

Yeah, I hear ya... I have the hang of it with my bench workouts... I am just having a bit of a hard time translating that to the squat and DL workouts, mostly because I am still a little unsure of my numbers, but I'm getting the hang of it.
I'm supposed to be squatting heavy tonight, but I suppose we'll see how I'm feeling when I get in there and do some warmups.  The knee IS better, not 100% but better.

On another front, the contest diet starts this week.   :'(
I met with my (BB) trainer over the weekend, and she's happy with my overall size and shape, although a bit surprised by how large I have gotten (mostly good large, not bad large).  I think I've grown over the last few months...I am getting alot of comments about how "broad" I am looking through the shoulders.  All of my shirts and sweaters are ridiculously tight through my back and arms, and my pants look like they are painted onto my quads and ass today.  I guess it's time to start dieting down and see what I am left with.  In terms of my workouts, I really hope that my best numbers are not behind me. 

We're gonna try to keep as many carbs in as possible, and keep me at one cardio session a day, until the USPF meet, which will be nine weeks out from the North Americans.  Hopefully we can do this!

OH, and LOL @ Geo.   ;D

:)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »
I did a sort of heavy squat workout today.  It wasn't terrible.  I was pretty happy with it, considering I've been nursing a sore knee.
I think I worked the numbers a little better this time... i totally overdid it last week and this was supposed to be my heavy week.

SQUATS - pretty much ass to calves
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
(I put the belt on for the rest of the sets, I meant to use it for the whole workout)
175 x 5
195 x 5 - this was pretty damn heavy
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5

NEGS
I made a first attempt at some negs, never tried them before.  I used pretty light weight for them, just trying to figure out what they feel like.
205 x 3
205 x 3

That's it.  45 mins of cardio this morning.

I sometimes get a little squirrely when squatting, like I'm not tight enough to keep the weight going up and down without going side to side or forward/backward.  It bothers my knees more when I get loose.

I seem to do much better with the getting the weight up as long as I control it on the way down. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 07:43:40 PM »
rip is a powerful female and you can crack an egg on her butt

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
rip is a power female that can bench press berserkfury

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »

QFTWT!  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 06:08:05 AM »

That's my favorite one so far.   ;D

Last night was a speed bench workout, plus some other stuff.

BENCH
5 sets 120 pounds x 3

3 sets DB side lateral raises x 12
3 sets rotator cuffs x 12
Lots and lots of ABs   :P

30 minutes of very light cardio yesterday morning, 40 minutes of so-so cardio this morning

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2008, 06:32:52 AM »

That's my favorite one so far.   ;D

Last night was a speed bench workout, plus some other stuff.

BENCH
5 sets 120 pounds x 3

3 sets DB side lateral raises x 12
3 sets rotator cuffs x 12
Lots and lots of ABs   :P

30 minutes of very light cardio yesterday morning, 40 minutes of so-so cardio this morning

THAT is looking solid girl! When's your next squat workout?! ;)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:16 AM »
THAT is looking solid girl! When's your next squat workout?! ;)

LOL I'm not sure yet... why ya wanna know?!  ;D

I just hit the squats pretty heavy a couple days ago.  I'm thinking about moving some workouts around and squatting later in the week, so it would be later next week, but it's a light week comin' up on the squats anyway, so you're gonna have to wait a couple more weeks.  ;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 06:50:02 AM »

LOL I'm not sure yet... why ya wanna know?!  ;D

I just hit the squats pretty heavy a couple days ago.  I'm thinking about moving some workouts around and squatting later in the week, so it would be later next week, but it's a light week comin' up on the squats anyway, so you're gonna have to wait a couple more weeks.  ;)

you SO better be worth it lol

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2008, 06:52:26 AM »
you SO better be worth it lol

I'm ALWAYS worth it.   8)

I'm not posting vids until I got something to show off anyway!   :P

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »

I'm ALWAYS worth it.   8)

I'm not posting vids until I got something to show off anyway!   :P

Going by ur avatar i think vids are needed now?!

good lifting.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 07:12:32 AM »
Going by ur avatar i think vids are needed now?!

good lifting.

davie

Thanks.  Patience is a virtue!!  I don't look like my avatar right now LOL.  ;)

For the record, I will note that I seem to have gone through some sort of growth spurt or something from switching up my training and going with much heavier lifting and a PL-oriented approach.  It's crazy... I think I've gotten really BIG, and not in a bad way.  I'm getting really REALLY thick.  And last night, I could see shoulder veins for the first time in a looooooooooong time, and I haven't even started dieting yet.  I'm feeling like I have put on some serious size just in the last 6 weeks or so... like more than I have before in that time frame during the off-season.  I'm the biggest I have ever been and definitely not the fattest.  And I'm feeling SUPER strong right now, and I am loving it.   8)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2008, 07:17:03 AM »

Thanks.  Patience is a virtue!!  I don't look like my avatar right now LOL.  ;)

For the record, I will note that I seem to have gone through some sort of growth spurt or something from switching up my training and going with much heavier lifting and a PL-oriented approach.  It's crazy... I think I've gotten really BIG, and not in a bad way.  I'm getting really REALLY thick.  And last night, I could see shoulder veins for the first time in a looooooooooong time, and I haven't even started dieting yet.  I'm feeling like I have put on some serious size just in the last 6 weeks or so... like more than I have before in that time frame during the off-season.  I'm the biggest I have ever been and definitely not the fattest.  And I'm feeling SUPER strong right now, and I am loving it.   8)

Thats awesome well done to you. Tho im not thinking that wicked should ease up on the slagging before u start throwing hands lol.

davie

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2008, 07:39:36 AM »
Thats awesome well done to you. Tho im not thinking that wicked should ease up on the slagging before u start throwing hands lol.

davie

I agree...I'll be able to take him with one hand tied behind my back before he knows it.  After all, they are going to make action figures in my exact likeness pretty soon!   ;D

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »

I agree...I'll be able to take him with one hand tied behind my back before he knows it.  After all, they are going to make action figures in my exact likeness pretty soon!   ;D

Haha thats true, do these action figures come with there own wee squat rack and bench/miniture plates etc lol?

davie

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »

comes complete with....

Barbell ( 4 45lb plates)
complete dumbell set (35-55lbs)
leg press
headband
wrist bands
head phones
treadmill
EZ bake oven
30 page instruction manual on how to please a man

other accessories sold separately

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:06 AM »
comes complete with....

Barbell ( 4 45lb plates)
complete dumbell set (35-55lbs)
leg press
headband
wrist bands
head phones
treadmill
EZ bake oven
30 page instruction manual on how to please a man

other accessories sold separately

hahahha LMAO... my exact likeness!!   ;D

You might as well forget about the EZ bake oven.   ::)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 06:34:22 PM »
Moderate DL workout tonight.  It went pretty good.
I faced away from the mirror tonight for the first time on all the DLs, which makes them quite a bit more challenging.  I also tried out the DL slippers tonight...they're pretty comfy, I may need to get me a pair for around the house. ;D

Numbers are all weird again because I used a combo of kilo and pound plates.  And for some reason, I have a really hard time adding in the gym!

DEADS
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12, 133 x 6 (too much warmup?)
177 x 5
187 x 5
197 x 5
177 x 5
177 x 5
177 x 5
177 x 5

SUMO DEADS
I stretched my legs out quite a bit before I did these, which helped alot, esp the inner thighs.
163 x 3
163 x 3
173 x 3
173 x 3
Sumos are kind of annoying because I haven't really figured them out for myself yet (timing, hand position, etc).  They feel awkward. 

SLDLs
Slow, long stretch
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5

I finished off with wide grip pulldowns - 1 warmup set x 12, 3 working sets x 6-8, one lighter finishing set x 12

I'm still having a little bit of a problem bringing the weight down evenly on every rep...sometimes one side hits the floor before the other, and it doesn't feel really good when that happens.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2008, 10:17:15 PM »

SLDLs
Slow, long stretch

oooooh baby               ohhhhh yeah            oh           that's it          yeah baby      come to papa      ohhhhhhhhhhh

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 06:58:42 AM »

oooooh baby               ohhhhh yeah            oh           that's it          yeah baby      come to papa      ohhhhhhhhhhh

Geo, you should try doing it slow and with a nice, long stretch.  You wouldn't believe how good it feels.   ;)

OH, just in case you're keeping score... no cardio yesterday and 45 mins on the bike this morning.  I'm hoping to start doing AM sprint/plyo workouts once/week next week if my legs are up for it.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »
Geo, you should try doing it slow and with a nice, long stretch.  You wouldn't believe how good it feels.   ;)

OH, just in case you're keeping score... no cardio yesterday and 45 mins on the bike this morning.  I'm hoping to start doing AM sprint/plyo workouts once/week next week if my legs are up for it.

I stopped liftin until the fall