Author Topic: Nearly 700 apply to be school janitor  (Read 818 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Nearly 700 apply to be school janitor
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »
Yikes!  It's rough out there!

Nearly 700 apply to be Ohio school janitor

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MASSILON, Ohio–Evidence of the slumping economy is stacking up at an Ohio school which has nearly 700 applications for one open janitorial job.

Officials at Perry Local Schools near Canton in northeast Ohio say they've extended the deadline until Monday to accommodate the overwhelming response to the week-old posting.

The full-time position at Edison Junior High School pays $15 to $16 an hour plus benefits.

Superintendent John Richard says many applicants are laid-off workers with heart-wrenching stories about the tough economic times.

Forty-nine-year-old Donna Croston says she applied after losing jobs at two nearby factories that closed.

Croston says her chances of being hired amid the hundreds of applicants are slim, but she's hoping to get lucky.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Nearly 700 apply to be school janitor
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
Do you know how many people applied for the job you have now?  Or for your previous job?

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
Do you know how many people applied for the job you have now?  Or for your previous job?

short listed to 10 for interviews

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »

short listed to 10 for interviews

Yikes!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:19:49 AM »
A friend of mine just applied for a receptionist job and the interviewer told her she had received over 50 applications. 
R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »
Things look rough now, but it is cyclical in nature.  A few years ago, employees had much more leverage.  Eventually, the pendulum will swing back that way.  It's all happened before. 

Not trying to minimize anyone's individual situation, just trying to make sure people keep the macroeconomic trend in proper perspective.  I have spoken.
~