Author Topic: The Adonis Diet Principles, Open-Source  (Read 131735 times)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: The Adonis Diet Principles, revised
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
Most likely definetly not,  I dont like to eat when I am drinking, and when drinking that often it is hard to force myself to eat.  However when doing it twice a week it is easier to force myself to do it.  I always eat right before drinking and then if I am out I make sure I get something like an order of wings or a hamburger.  Then before bed I always eat a can of tuna.

I know science says drinking is bad for training but it could be that the actual beer didnt effect me at all and it was just that I had bad eating habits when drinking.

I will say this though, at the time I definetly did not have the best workouts.  Now I usually know when I am drinking so I can plan my workouts accordingly.

when i was a student i often found i was stronger the day after a bender  ???
175lbs by 31st July

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
when i was a student i often found i was stronger the day after a bender  ???

Haha, somehow I get the feeling, M2 will become the winner! ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
I shoot for about .75 grams per lb.
What is considered "hard training"?

That's a weak point in the principles, I agree. But I think it doesn't really matter. What is important is that if you compare two diet approaches (where at least one of the myths is changed), the type of training must not change, in order for identifying one of M1-M5 as a truth or a myth.

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
I think a lot of the myth of drinking may be linked to rest as well.  Many people will go out drink, than have to work early and only sleep 4-6 hours instead of their normal 7-9.  Instead of realizing that the real culprit may be recovery they blame it on drinking.

I bet you could take any one on these boards and have them do one of two things:

1)  Get 4 hours of sleep and workout upon waking
     2)  Have a late night drinking but get 10-12 hours of sleep and workout

I bet most people will still get a better workout with option 2

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »
I think a lot of the myth of drinking may be linked to rest as well.  Many people will go out drink, than have to work early and only sleep 4-6 hours instead of their normal 7-9.  Instead of realizing that the real culprit may be recovery they blame it on drinking.

I bet you could take any one on these boards and have them do one of two things:

1)  Get 4 hours of sleep and workout upon waking
     2)  Have a late night drinking but get 10-12 hours of sleep and workout

I bet most people will still get a better workout with option 2

Exactly, and you bring up a good point. Maybe I should add the hours of sleep to the principles. Have to think about it.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
wavelength, can you tell me:

what is your weight, height?

what are your daily amounts of protein, carbs and fats in g.

what is your weekly workout split, and routine.

is that you in your avatar?

175lbs by 31st July

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »
wavelength, can you tell me:

what is your weight, height?

what are your daily amounts of protein, carbs and fats in g.

what is your weekly workout split, and routine.

is that you in your avatar?

1.) Currently 153lbs, 5'10''

2.) I don't know (see M1). My protein is always higher than 100g, since I take that in powder form to make P1 easier.

3.) Day1: Chest, Triceps, Abs (Day2/3: Rest)
     Day4: Back, Biceps, Abs (Day5: Rest)
     Day6: Legs, Shoulders, Small Muscle Groups (Day7: Rest)
     Do you want more details?

4.) Yes. Diet progress in my General/Pictures thread.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
1.) Currently 153lbs, 5'10''

2.) I don't know (see M1). My protein is always higher than 100g, since I take that in powder form to make P1 easier.

3.) Day1: Chest, Triceps, Abs (Day2/3: Rest)
     Day4: Back, Biceps, Abs (Day5: Rest)
     Day6: Legs, Shoulders, Small Muscle Groups (Day7: Rest)
     Do you want more details?

4.) Yes. Diet progress in my General/Pictures thread.

if you had to estimate, how many grams of protein, carbs, fat?

yes can you tell me your workout routine, not specific, but general reps/sets/no: of excercises, weights etc.
175lbs by 31st July

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »
if you had to estimate, how many grams of protein, carbs, fat?

I eat out at lunch and that's also where I take in most of my daily calories. So it will differ significantly from day to day. Maybe around 160g Protein, 120g Carbs, 70g Fats on avarage. One day a week (or every other week, depending on P3), I eat whatever I want without any caloric restriction. The absolute numbers are hard to guess, since I don't count calories, I only go by experience and weight loss.

yes can you tell me your workout routine, not specific, but general reps/sets/no: of excercises, weights etc.

I should mention that I have tried a lot of different methods (number of rest days, rep range, splits, etc.). I don't think it matters too much, but I can tell you my current specifics:

All mentioned muscle groups: two exercises, 3-5 sets / exercise, aiming for 8-10 reps. on the heavy sets. Last one or two sets to failure.

Chest: DB Presses straight + incline
Triceps: Dips with additional weight + cable pulldowns
Back: Pullups with additional weight + cable pulldowns with narrow grip
Biceps: EZ-Bar + DB curls or cable curls
Abs: Different types of crunches
Legs: Leg presses + leg extensions
Shoulders: DB Presses + don't know what it's called in english (lean forward and extend arms to side)
Other Muscle Groups: shrugs, forearm curls, etc.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »
1 gram per pound of body weight just barely makes the mark for sufficient protein intake. However i would note that this is based on LEAN body weight, and also this is when coupled with a caloric surplus and suffficient carbohydrate intake as well. In a caloric deficit, or without sufficient carbohydrates, youll need more protein than just 1 gram per pound of lean body weight.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »
1 gram per pound of body weight just barely makes the mark for sufficient protein intake. However i would note that this is based on LEAN body weight, and also this is when coupled with a caloric surplus and suffficient carbohydrate intake as well. In a caloric deficit, or without sufficient carbohydrates, youll need more protein than just 1 gram per pound of lean body weight.

Lean body mass it is then (changed it in the first page, since easier to compare with people of different BF level).

Since your last statement goes against M1, is this from your own experience? In my experience, below 0.5g/lb is too low and 1g/lb is (probably more than) sufficient.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

I wouldn't say "just barely". It's rather on the high end in accordance with most scientific studies I've seen. At least the one lb per gram of bodyweight is. Not sure about the grams per lean lb but I suspect that is as well.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »
Its based off of both personal experience and off of studies I have read. My personal protein intake is a bit higher than 1 gram per pound of lean body weight, as I seem to grow a little better, stay a bit fuller when cutting fat, when I get around 2 grams per pound of TOTAL bodyweight. But I must admit, getting in that much protein consistently is quite a difficult thing for myself to accomplish, so I am not always at that mark; I do the best I can.   

When i wrote "just barely", it was based off of the 2.2 grams per kilogram that seems to be the standard consensus among the community of bodybuilding nutritionists.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »

When i wrote "just barely", it was based off of the 2.2 grams per kilogram that seems to be the standard consensus among the community of bodybuilding nutritionists.
Ah, I got it. I thought that that was the max amount/higher end of what is needed (anything else being relatively unneeded/useless as you can replace it with carbs, etc.) so that was why I was confused with your wording.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
Have you tried other approaches? If yes, how do they compare?

i used to eat much lower calories with a lot of it coming from "junk food" and less from protein and fiber.  I was hungry more but could tollerate it because of less need to concentrate at work.  My workouts were just as good and I was a lot leaner.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:16 AM »
Its based off of both personal experience and off of studies I have read. My personal protein intake is a bit higher than 1 gram per pound of lean body weight, as I seem to grow a little better, stay a bit fuller when cutting fat, when I get around 2 grams per pound of TOTAL bodyweight. But I must admit, getting in that much protein consistently is quite a difficult thing for myself to accomplish, so I am not always at that mark; I do the best I can.   

As I said, scientific studies are not relevant in this thread. I could easily come up with other scientific studies that say otherwise. The first statement I don't understand. I think you meant "1 grams per pound of TOTAL bodyweight" ?

Since the principles are about dieting down while preserving as much muscle as possible: When you say "from personal experience", have you actually tried to diet down with

- P2-P4 met and P1 at significantly above 1 g/lb of lean body mass, compared to
- P2-P4 met and P1 at exactly 1 g/lb of lean body mass?

I'm pretty sure you would not have seen a difference.

Alex23

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »
I now fully endorse the Adonis Principles.

Common sense and proven. Plain and simple.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 12:33:27 AM »
I now fully endorse the Adonis Principles.

Common sense and proven. Plain and simple.

Excellent!
Will you be using them in your new quest?
Have you also tried the "bodybuilder way" of boiled fish, tasteless chicken, and calorie counting in the past?
I stopped that a long time ago.
I'm a man, not a retarded schoolgirl trying to become a model.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:36 AM »
i used to eat much lower calories with a lot of it coming from "junk food" and less from protein and fiber.  I was hungry more but could tollerate it because of less need to concentrate at work.  My workouts were just as good and I was a lot leaner.

Interesting. Would you agree to P1-P4 and M1-M5 (being myths) or would you change/add anything?

Alex23

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 12:35:56 AM »
Excellent!
Will you be using them in your new quest?
Have you also tried the "bodybuilder way" of boiled fish, tasteless chicken, and calorie counting in the past?
I stopped that a long time ago.
I'm a man, not a retarded schoolgirl trying to become a model.

Everyone uses them after going thru the "bodybuilding way" nonsense first.

Principles = KISS + common sense, 8)

Get your proteins, don't over eat, don't clog your system with supplemental nonsense. Become and optimal machine.

io856

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »
Alex23 is ripped listen to him about nutrition  ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2008, 12:43:31 AM »
Everyone uses them after going thru the "bodybuilding way" nonsense first.

Haha, I think we would have to narrow that group of people down from "everyone" to "non-masochists". :D

Alex23

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2008, 12:47:51 AM »
Alex23 is ripped listen to him about nutrition  ;D

True. But Adonis is. ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2008, 12:54:12 AM »
True. But Adonis is. ;D

:o
How long ago is that?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2008, 04:38:59 AM »
alex, what steroids will you be taking while you cut ?
175lbs by 31st July