Author Topic: Arctic Ice May Reach Lowest Level on Record in September  (Read 3197 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Arctic Ice May Reach Lowest Level on Record in September
« on: August 30, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
Scientists said that the arctic ice is at its second lowest level in the past 30 years or since the satellite records began.

Experts from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) said the latest data shows that the arctic ice is now bellow the 2005 level and that the melting process started earlier this year. This means that it might reach its lowest recorded level in September despite the fact that this year’s temperatures have been lower compared to last year, NSIDC scientists explained.

Ice in the Arctic Ocean is at a climatic "tipping point," as the experts put it. The arctic ice now covers 2.03 million square miles (5.26 million sq km). The lowest level ever was recorded last September when the arctic ice was covering about 1.65 million square miles. Most of that is thin ice which formed during the past year and melts faster.

Just a few years ago, scientist predicted that by 2080 all the Arctic ice will melt during summer. However, the computer models revealed the fact that this could happen much earlier, around 2030 to 2050.

"We could very well be in that quick slide downward in terms of passing a tipping point," said Mark Serreze, senior scientist at the NSIDC.

"It's tipping now. We're seeing it happen now."

According to NASA ice scientist Jay Zwally, if the accelerated melting process continues, within "five to less than 10 years," the Arctic Circle will be ice-free during the summer period.

"It means that climate warming is also coming larger and faster than the models are predicting and nobody's really taken into account that change yet," Zwally said.

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Arctic_Ice_May_Reach_Lowest_Level_on_Record_in_September_23317.html

Cardfan

• Getbig III
Re: Arctic Ice May Reach Lowest Level on Record in September
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
Where is the proof that humans are causing this?  Our planet has undergone climatic changes since its inception.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »
Meanwhile, Antarctica is growing bigger than ever.

The world has been heating and cooling in cycles for eons.

I imagine that pisses off Al Gore to no end  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »
A friend of mine from Texas who doesn't didn't believe in global warming just recently reversed his tune.
Apparently he viewed some NASA satellite photos that show the patterns of Arctic ice recession, and also predicted that it's quite possible to see the Arctic circle without it's ice caps by the year 2012.

I swear the man was as pale as a ghost recalling what he saw. Personally I don't think it will happen that quickly, but I do believe it's imperative we take immediate action to curtail the climate change gasses we spew into the environment before the tipping point of no return. because if we don't, ...I can assure you that it is going to be modern western socieites that will feel the brunt of the difficult adjustments we will all have to make on this planet.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »
Meanwhile, Antarctica is growing bigger than ever.

The world has been heating and cooling in cycles for eons.

I imagine that pisses off Al Gore to no end  ::)

All the evidence I've seen suggests Antarctica is shrinking as well.
More and more penguins are ending up in Brazil and their populations are shrinking.

What evidence do you have that Antarctica is growing?
w

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 11:16:32 PM »
Encounters at the End of the World Trailer

I like nature documentaries like this :-[. I`m not sure if it`s any good. Visually it looks amazing. It`s not a global warming film.

Believe it`s been released on dvd in the last couple of days. so it`s out there  ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »
Where is the proof that humans are causing this?  Our planet has undergone climatic changes since its inception.
never debated by anyone except idiots like Glenn Beck and Rush.  Of course we've always gone through climate change.  That was never an issue.  The issue is the effect we can have on cycles.  The question concerns our effect on the natural course.  The acceleration of the cycle.  It should also be noted that if we are effectively accelerating the cycle, the components responsible will serve to create a higher and or longer peak of the cycle than would have naturally occurred.  Something Glenn and Rush like to leave out.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »

I like nature documentaries like this :-[. I`m not sure if it`s any good. Visually it looks amazing. It`s not a global warming film.

Believe it`s been released on dvd in the last couple of days. so it`s out there  ;)

There are 2 great documentaries on Climate Change within my website under the 'World News' section.

One is called "The Age of Warming"... the other "Rising Waters".

I haven't been able to find them on Youtube or googlevideo though. They're fascinating and very eye-opening.  :o
w

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:38:21 AM »
never debated by anyone except idiots like Glenn Beck and Rush.  Of course we've always gone through climate change.  That was never an issue.  The issue is the effect we can have on cycles.  The question concerns our effect on the natural course.  The acceleration of the cycle.  It should also be noted that if we are effectively accelerating the cycle, the components responsible will serve to create a higher and or longer peak of the cycle than would have naturally occurred.  Something Glenn and Rush like to leave out.
Ummm? You still fail to answer the question. Nice dodge though.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:47:09 AM »
Ummm? You still fail to answer the question. Nice dodge though.
I didn't dodge shit.  There is a shitload of material on this.  Your opinion/Glenn's opinion, is so in the scientific minority, it might as well be called faith.  You either can google and read or request that I spend hours gathering and posting... Which you won't do since you're fixed in your stance so what's the point of me gathering what you won't google... ::) I addressed an important misconception which you just put forth.  You didn't reply to that, I could just as easily say nice dodge.

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:51:48 AM »
Not a dodge. I get what you were saying. You conceded that climatic changes happen. Your stance is that we have a profound affect on them. I have studied the issue and disagree.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »
Not a dodge. I get what you were saying. You conceded that climatic changes happen. Your stance is that we have a profound affect on them. I have studied the issue and disagree.
I didn't concede jack shit.  read what I said, I have always known it.  Science has always known it.  You fools use it as a tool to say it's the natural course of events--case closed.  That's a foolish approach and I think if you take a moment you can see the error in that logic.

Cardfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:12:10 AM »

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »

You don't concede a point you already operate from.  concede has the connotation that you scored a point in the argument and I yeilded the point.  I was already opperating with the (point in question) in play.  Now what ::)

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »
I saw on Ice Road Truckers last night that the ice is melting.

We're all fuucked.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »
I saw on Ice Road Truckers last night that the ice is melting.

We're all fuucked.

No more tranportation industry I guess.

I guess the frozen people that lived through the Little Ice Age were the lucky ones.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 10:48:46 PM »

funny just watched this movie again. almost a year.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »
Hugo, your little bitch ass got owned hard in this thread. Nice meltdown, though.  :D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
I don't even remember this thread, or give a shit.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »
I don't even remember this thread, or give a shit.

You cared enough to fire off a post within 5 minutes of me commenting on it. Looks like someone is in the denial stage. It's alright, bro. Not like you have a job or anything else to worry about. LOL!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »
You cared enough to fire off a post within 5 minutes of me commenting on it. Looks like someone is in the denial stage. It's alright, bro. Not like you have a job or anything else to worry about. LOL!
maybe you didn't notice, it got bumped and not by me ::)  Yea I looked at it, it got bumped dipshit.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 07:58:15 AM »
Scientists said that the arctic ice is at its second lowest level in the past 30 years or since the satellite records began.

Experts from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) said the latest data shows that the arctic ice is now bellow the 2005 level and that the melting process started earlier this year. This means that it might reach its lowest recorded level in September despite the fact that this year’s temperatures have been lower compared to last year, NSIDC scientists explained.

Ice in the Arctic Ocean is at a climatic "tipping point," as the experts put it. The arctic ice now covers 2.03 million square miles (5.26 million sq km). The lowest level ever was recorded last September when the arctic ice was covering about 1.65 million square miles. Most of that is thin ice which formed during the past year and melts faster.

Just a few years ago, scientist predicted that by 2080 all the Arctic ice will melt during summer. However, the computer models revealed the fact that this could happen much earlier, around 2030 to 2050.

"We could very well be in that quick slide downward in terms of passing a tipping point," said Mark Serreze, senior scientist at the NSIDC.

According to NASA ice scientist Jay Zwally, if the accelerated melting process continues, within "five to less than 10 years," the Arctic Circle will be ice-free during the summer period.

"It means that climate warming is also coming larger and faster than the models are predicting and nobody's really taken into account that change yet," Zwally said.

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Arctic_Ice_May_Reach_Lowest_Level_on_Record_in_September_23317.html

________________________ ________________________ _________________

EVERYONE RUN TO PASS CAP & TRADE - GS, GE, AL GORE, NEED BILLIONS MORE TAXPAYER DOLLARS!

Mons Venus

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »

Bullshit....Rush says the planet is cooling!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05:20 AM »
Its amazing how the left always trots out "global warming" during the hottest two weeks of the year.

If China, India, Russia, are not concerned and are not going to shackle their economies to this nonsense, this entire "issue" is going nowhere, just as Russ Feingold said.