Author Topic: Rand Paul Won't Rule Out Preemptive Strike on Iran..This Guy Just Won't Shut Up  (Read 1845 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Paul Won't Rule Out Preemptive Strike on Iran.  

Written by Jack Kenny  
Tuesday, 25 May 2010 18:00

Since his stunning primary victory last Tuesday over the party establishment's candidate, Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, most of the media attention on Paul has been focused on his statements about a landmark Civil Rights Act passed 46 years ago. Considerably less attention has been given to the candidate's remarks about a war that could begin in the very near future.

"I do think Iran having nuclear weapons is a threat to the stability of the Middle East," Paul said in an interview with Bill O'Reilly on Fox News the day after his lopsided victory. "I think we should do everything possible to keep Iran from having nuclear weapons." O'Reilly then asked if he would be willing "to go the military route" if necessary.

Rand Paul: Well, I think that, interestingly, I think Iran destabilizes the Middle East a little more now that Iraq has become a Shiite country. But the interesting thing about whether or not you want to use military force — recently, you know, President Obama took nuclear weapons off the table in certain circumstances and I think that's a mistake. I think it's reckless to take them out of the equation. But I think it's also equally reckless to say, well, if they get a nuclear weapon, I'll drop a nuclear weapon on Teheran. I think there is a certain uncertainty that is there from the unknown and throughout the Cold War we didn't announce what we would do in every circumstance.

O'Reilly: And I don't think we should.

Rand Paul:  And that was part of the mutually assured...    

O'Reilly:  Okay, but if you take Sen. Bunning's seat, we know Sen. Bunning would have said: 'Look if you have to use military force against Iran to keep them from getting a nuke, do it. Bunning would have voted for that....

Rand Paul: I don't think you don't take if off the table.

O'Reilly: Okay so you're not going to say you're opposed to it.

Rand Paul:  I don't think you preannounce what your strategy is in every military situation.

Wholly apart from the debatable aspects of "strategic ambiguity," Paul's comments seemed a little unusual, coming from one who often quotes Michael Scheur, the author of Imperial Hubris, and has spoken often of our overextended military. "Correct me if I'm wrong," wrote rightwing libertarian Justin Raimondo on Antiwar.com, "but that sounds to me like he's in favor — given the right circumstances — of nuking Iran."

It does seem strange that Paul injected the idea of using nuclear weapons when O'Reilly had asked only in general terms about "military force" to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. And Paul went out of his way to criticize Obama for taking nuclear weapons "off the table." Yet the guidelines for the potential use of military weapons Obama announced last month would leave open the possibility of a first strike against Iran. The President has ruled out a nuclear strike against non-nuclear states that are in compliance with the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, even if they attacked the United States with chemical or biological weapons or launched a cyber attack. Yet Obama said he was making exceptions for "outlier states like Iran and North Korea."

During his primary campaign, Paul was the subject of attack ads based on statements he had made either in his own campaign or as a surrogate and spokesman for his father, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, during the elder Paul's campaign for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination. In a question-and-answer session with the Bluegrass Policy Institute in March of last year, Paul praised his father as someone who, in discussing terrorist attacks on the United States, had the courage to "stand up and say, 'Maybe some of the bad things that have happened are a reaction to our presence in some of these countries with military troops.' " Saying he didn't believe we need to have 175 bases in some 30 countries around the world, the younger Paul said, "We do have to change our foreign policy to be less expansive and more of a protection of our country."

While campaigning for his father in Burlington, Vermont, in October, 2007, Paul reminded his audience that the United States had "stared down" the Soviet Union with its nuclear arsenal for 40 years without a nuclear war. "Can't we stare down Iran if they develop one in ten years?" he said. He also described a growing desire for more freedom among Iranian dissidents and what the likely consequences of a military strike on Iran would be. "If we go in and bomb, you know, facilities, we're gong to kill surrounding people — collateral damage, innocent lives. And what that does is turn their families and their relatives against us in the end and we end up crating more animosity towards us and maybe defeating the cause that could rise up and oppose the mullahs over there."

The Grayson campaign attempted to paint Paul as anti-American and even, ran ads juxtaposing Paul's statements with the rantings of Obama's former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, implying a similarity between them. Yet Paul won nearly 60 percent of the vote in a Republican primary in a conservative state that McCain carried handily two years ago. So why, at a time when the wheels appear to be coming off the grand old war wagon, is Paul now entertaining the possibility of a pre-emptive strike against Iran and insisting that the nuclear option not be taken "off the table"?

The idea is not new, of course, and it is not, as Raimondo described it, "something not even the wildest-eyed neocon has seriously proposed." In the latter days of the Bush-Cheney regime, there were reports that the administration was considering it. In the 2008 Democratic primary campaign, Hillary Clinton criticized Barack Obama for ruling out the use of nuclear weapons in Afghanistan and Pakistan. And in a debate among Republican presidential candidates at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, Wolf Blitzer of CNN asked the following question:

"If it came down to a preemptive U.S. strike against Iran's nuclear facility if necessary, would you authorize as president the use of tactical nuclear weapons?"

Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, Duncan Hunter, and Gary Gilmore all said "yes." Only one candidate emphatically said "no."

"What is the most pressing moral issue in the United States right now?" asked Congressman Ron Paul. He continued: "I think it is the acceptance just recently that we now promote preemptive war. I do not believe that's part of the American tradition. We, in the past, have always declared war in defense of our liberties or go to aid somebody. But now we have accepted the principle of preemptive war. We have rejected the just war theory of Christianity. And now, tonight, we hear that we're not even willing to remove from the table a preemptive nuclear strike against a country that has done no harm to us directly and is no threat to our national security. I mean, we have to come to our senses about this issue of war and preemption and go back to traditions and our Constitution and defend our liberties and defend our rights, but not to think that we can change the world by force of arms and to start wars."

Rand Paul has no doubt learned a lot from his father over the years. But to whom, we might ask, is he listening now?
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
He looks like Lee Harvey Oswald. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
More Poop for the Paul Family.

I see that nobody likes this guy, not even Republicans.  Funny stuff.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Well duh.  We shouldn't publicly take military options off the table, or talk about what we plan to do (like Obama did during the campaign). 

Plus he's not the CIC and wouldn't be ordering any military strikes. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Everything he said about the terrorist state Iran seems spot-on.

Jag and the ultra-liberals seem pretty threatened by this guy.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
100% correct as usual with Paul.Obamas strategy is to threaten,threaten,threaten and do ABSOLUTELY nothing.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

100% correct as usual

seem to remember the last time you said that you were 100% wrong :D :D :D :D

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Paul Won't Rule Out Preemptive Strike on Iran.  

Our president shouldn't rule out any preemptive strikes...  Good for him!
S

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
His quote was "I don't think you preannounce what your strategy is in every military situation"
That is a prudent strategy indeed.

However, he does not seem to be following his father's principles again.

I wonder if he truly supports all these positions or just wants the votes.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Our president shouldn't rule out any preemptive strikes...  Good for him!

You speak foolishly much of the time...when another nation does a preemptive strike(s) on america then you will all change. As it stands now not one of you americans has ever suffered the ills of anything. No famines, no pestilences, no massive earthquakes, no wars NOTHING...so you are unprepared to deal with anything that upsets your apple carts. The movie SUM OF ALL FEARS, THE DAY AFTER or this latest flick UNTHINKABLE gives you all just an inkling of the havoc that would ensue if a nation said enough is enough and nuked you. Instead of all of the false bravado and machismo you will be outrunning the women in hiding hoping the terror goes away. Then you will understand the horror you have inflicted so cowardly on other innocent nations. As I have said before DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU...Don't wait to learn of your ills after it is DONE UNTO YOU!!!!!
C

tonymctones

• Getbig V
You speak foolishly much of the time...when another nation does a preemptive strike(s) on america then you will all change. As it stands now not one of you americans has ever suffered the ills of anything. No famines, no pestilences, no massive earthquakes, no wars NOTHING...so you are unprepared to deal with anything that upsets your apple carts. The movie SUM OF ALL FEARS, THE DAY AFTER or this latest flick UNTHINKABLE gives you all just an inkling of the havoc that would ensue if a nation said enough is enough and nuked you. Instead of all of the false bravado and machismo you will be outrunning the women in hiding hoping the terror goes away. Then you will understand the horror you have inflicted so cowardly on other innocent nations. As I have said before DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU...Don't wait to learn of your ills after it is DONE UNTO YOU!!!!!
There is a reason we havent experienced these things brain child and there is a reason you live in poverty and despise us...We as in the US rule this world and as such we protect ourselves just like your little piss ant country would if it could. RPF is right we should never take any action off the table as it only serves to give our enemies more room to act an ass...

perhaps when your country actually has something worth defending you will understand... ::)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V

What the fuck?  In one thread you claim that we're suffering worse than any people on Earth, in the next you claim we've not experienced any "ills"...  ???
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
There is a reason we havent experienced these things brain child and there is a reason you live in poverty and despise us...We as in the US rule this world and as such we protect ourselves just like your little piss ant country would if it could. RPF is right we should never take any action off the table as it only serves to give our enemies more room to act an ass...

perhaps when your country actually has something worth defending you will understand... ::)

Exactly!!!  Exactly!!!

You all know what an anti war nut I am, but I sure as hell wouldn't go around saying what was and wasn't a possibility...  Regardless of whether or not we would ever preemptively attack a country again, we sure as hell shouldn't let it be known...  ::)
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Well duh.  We shouldn't publicly take military options off the table, or talk about what we plan to do (like Obama did during the campaign). 

Plus he's not the CIC and wouldn't be ordering any military strikes. 

yeah, they were all idiots in 2008.  Palin said we'd bomb pakistan (something that is a reality that youre not supposed to talk about).  Mccain sang war caroles about "Bomb Iran".

Can't we just have some diginified candidates, whose standard response is "Nothing is on or off the table - America will do what she needs to do, period.  Now, ask a real question and stop wasting my time, you pussyfoot reporter!"

Fury

• Getbig V

This following pic sums up 99.99% of Samson posts:

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
What the fuck?  In one thread you claim that we're suffering worse than any people on Earth, in the next you claim we've not experienced any "ills"...  ???

In what post did I say "we're" suffering worse than any people on earth? You once again seem to have me confused with your own opinions. Americans have lived like dainty women. No discomfort, no pain, no ills and as I said earlier no famines, no pestilences, no droughts...NOTHING! So you can not and will not be able to handle any catastrophes. Should the BIG ONE hit California all of america will be thrown into chaos. Should the gulf oil spill result in OIL RAINS or a hurricane comes early and sweeps that stuff far inland you all will go BERZERK as crops fail, land is tainted, reservoirs are poisoned etc etc. A blog from a personin Florida is saying that oil rain is already falling there in some spots.
C

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Exactly!!!  Exactly!!!

You all know what an anti war nut I am, but I sure as hell wouldn't go around saying what was and wasn't a possibility...  Regardless of whether or not we would ever preemptively attack a country again, we sure as hell shouldn't let it be known...  ::)

Do you actually believe a President would state what his/her strategy would be?
Wake Up! these statements are nothing more than pabulum for the masses.
Obama or any other Pres would nuke whoever they had to if it meant the difference between winning or losing.

They don't discuss strategy in public, they do it in private. They simply placate the masses in public.
If i were you, I wouldn't listen to a damn thing they said. They're all liars when it comes down to it.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
that's why whenever I hear "Oh man, we're screwed, Obama agreed to disclose this nuclear number, and promised not to use nukes on terrorist states who don't use them...."

I just gotta laugh.  All these pieces of paper go out the window if we get hit.  We'll nuke anyone we feel is necessary.  Bush did what he wanted.  UN didn't find shit in iraq, and he just bomed anyway.  Taleban offered Osama in a pine box if we had evidence of his involvement, we just bombed anyway.

We bomb who we want.  Anyone who believes "Obama's promise not to use nukes" is basing their assessment on 7th grade social studies theory, not real life shit.  Obama, like Bush, clinton, and every other president before, will do what he wants. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
that's why whenever I hear "Oh man, we're screwed, Obama agreed to disclose this nuclear number, and promised not to use nukes on terrorist states who don't use them...."

I just gotta laugh.  All these pieces of paper go out the window if we get hit.  We'll nuke anyone we feel is necessary.  Bush did what he wanted.  UN didn't find shit in iraq, and he just bomed anyway.  Taleban offered Osama in a pine box if we had evidence of his involvement, we just bombed anyway.

We bomb who we want.  Anyone who believes "Obama's promise not to use nukes" is basing their assessment on 7th grade social studies theory, not real life shit.  Obama, like Bush, clinton, and every other president before, will do what he wants. 

Truthfully america does NOT do what it wants...everything is prearranged, paid off situations, orchestrated to look like america has a big bad military, but truthfully america is a coward nation that only picks on tiny unarmed or poorly militarized nations. Ameria had its ass handed to it in Vietnam, in Korea and would have had the same done in Japan if the Japanese were not fighting a war 4000 miles from their homeland. Today america struggles with Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc..countries NOT known for military prowness. It has cost america over 4 TRILLION fighting these two nations and now it wants to attack Iran. The only reason america got as far as it did in Iraq is because it paid off the Shia(or whatever that group was) and gave the Kurds money and ammo to help them...not to mention needing allies from many nations to help. It then paid off the Taliban BILLIONS not to fight in Afghanistan. It is all laughable actually. The great america can't beat Iraq...a nation the size of its state of California and no real military. Now should it try nuking any nation do you honestly think the Ruskies, Chinese or even teh EU will stand their and do nothing? As americas bombs land on one nation, another nation's bombs will land on america. America is a parasite on the world stage and even its "allies" see it now....how much time do you think you have? Secondly as it stands now the DU america exploded over Iraq is killing its own soldiers and poisoning the family members of soldiers who returned to america  with the DU dust on their clothing and in their bodies... What good will it do nuking a Middle Eastern country when the radiation will render the area unlivable for decades if not centuries? Uh oil anyone? Exactly how will america , Europe and Asia get thei oil supplies from a region radioactively contaminated? Can you hear the bombs falling on america for this???
C

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Truthfully america does NOT do what it wants...everything is prearranged, paid off situations, orchestrated to look like america has a big bad military, but truthfully america is a coward nation that only picks on tiny unarmed or poorly militarized nations. Ameria had its ass handed to it in Vietnam, in Korea and would have had the same done in Japan if the Japanese were not fighting a war 4000 miles from their homeland. Today america struggles with Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc..countries NOT known for military prowness. It has cost america over 4 TRILLION fighting these two nations and now it wants to attack Iran. The only reason america got as far as it did in Iraq is because it paid off the Shia(or whatever that group was) and gave the Kurds money and ammo to help them...not to mention needing allies from many nations to help. It then paid off the Taliban BILLIONS not to fight in Afghanistan. It is all laughable actually. The great america can't beat Iraq...a nation the size of its state of California and no real military. Now should it try nuking any nation do you honestly think the Ruskies, Chinese or even teh EU will stand their and do nothing? As americas bombs land on one nation, another nation's bombs will land on america. America is a parasite on the world stage and even its "allies" see it now....how much time do you think you have? Secondly as it stands now the DU america exploded over Iraq is killing its own soldiers and poisoning the family members of soldiers who returned to america  with the DU dust on their clothing and in their bodies... What good will it do nuking a Middle Eastern country when the radiation will render the area unlivable for decades if not centuries? Uh oil anyone? Exactly how will america , Europe and Asia get thei oil supplies from a region radioactively contaminated? Can you hear the bombs falling on america for this???

Wow Samson  :o  Just for the sake of argument, let us assume everything you say is true.
Somehow I got the disturbing feeling that you took great pleasure in posting that...almost orgasmic pleasure
I almost pictured you salivating over the prospect of this vision coming to fruition, ...and that's just sick.  :'(
w

Fury

• Getbig V

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Wow Samson  :o  Just for the sake of argument, let us assume everything you say is true.
Somehow I got the disturbing feeling that you took great pleasure in posting that...almost orgasmic pleasure
I almost pictured you salivating over the prospect of this vision coming to fruition, ...and that's just sick.  :'(

It is just a reality that people seem to ignore. I get annoyed at this constant ameriac is great america is this, ameriac is that...when truth of the matter every situation in the world america has had some involvement has been caused by america and its lies and has cost the attacked nation MILLIONS of people in senseless deaths. Vietnam 4 million innocent people killed, Korea 2 to 3 million, Japan at least 200,000, Cambodia 2 million, Burma 500,000, Laos 250,000, Iraq 1.6 Million, Afghanistan 500,000, wars funded by america in Africa literally MILLIONS KILLED, 1,000,000 Nicaraguans and Guatemalans funded by americas drug trade,  and these are just a few of the countries america had its hand in. If all of the nations in the world that had wars with america or america had its hand in creating civil wars in these nations were added up it would account for tens of millions since WWII. That is disgusting...but sadly like the comments of 240 americans are UNAWARE of the damage and death its nation is involved in and has done around the world.

So no I am not salivating or having an orgasmic moment, but I do speak the truth on this matter...and many don't want to hear it or believe it. Now don't get me Bible thumping on this thread cause REVELATIONS is a nightmare from beginning to end.
C

Fury

• Getbig V
It is just a reality that people seem to ignore. I get annoyed at this constant ameriac is great america is this, ameriac is that...when truth of the matter every situation in the world america has had some involvement has been caused by america and its lies and has cost the attacked nation MILLIONS of people in senseless deaths. Vietnam 4 million innocent people killed, Korea 2 to 3 million, Japan at least 200,000, Cambodia 2 million, Burma 500,000, Laos 250,000, Iraq 1.6 Million, Afghanistan 500,000, wars funded by america in Africa literally MILLIONS KILLED, 1,000,000 Nicaraguans and Guatemalans funded by americas drug trade,  and these are just a few of the countries america had its hand in. If all of the nations in the world that had wars with america or america had its hand in creating civil wars in these nations were added up it would account for tens of millions since WWII. That is disgusting...but sadly like the comments of 240 americans are UNAWARE of the damage and death its nation is involved in and has done around the world.

So no I am not salivating or having an orgasmic moment, but I do speak the truth on this matter...and many don't want to hear it or believe it. Now don't get me Bible thumping on this thread cause REVELATIONS is a nightmare from beginning to end.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
100% correct as usual

seem to remember the last time you said that you were 100% wrong :D :D :D :D

I think last time I saoid that was when 33 said Obama is a failure.Id say thats 100% correct.