Author Topic: Biblical Contradictions/Difficulties?  (Read 14432 times)

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
Re: Biblical Contradictions/Difficulties?
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »
World Wars I and II had little to do with one’s religious belief. Did the Japanese hit Pearl Harbor, because we were Christians? Did we return the favor, with the bomb on Hiroshima, because they weren’t?

Acquisition of wealth and/or power, greed, or settling personal vendettas is the culprit for war. Whether one uses the vehicle of religion to attain those goals is another matter.

Not all wars are caused by religion, Obviously.

Though some wars are. Some wars (and violent acts) make absolutely no sense without religion.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
Re: Biblical Contradictions/Difficulties?
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »

Who exactly is going to chronicle the life of a teenage carpenter in Nazareth, and what would be the motivation for doing such? Jesus didn't even start His ministry, until He was about 30.

For such an influential person, it would seem reasonable to go around where he grew up and ask people who might have knew him or might have known people who knew him and profiled his early years growing up. These would be probably the most important years as they profile his religious influences, etc.

Their movitation for lying would be..............

Fame. Notoriety. Historical importance.

Though I doubt most authors of religious texts are "lying". I think they truly believe what they wrote down.

I thought the parts that got chucked were those that were shown to be at odds with the historical teachings of Jesus Christ. If there's some reason why those should have stayed, I'd like to know.

No, They got chucked for political reasons. The bible we see now is essentially randomly compiled and has little relation of important aspects that the other texts do not have. Most of the Gospels go contrary to what Jesus actually said himself. Jesus never actually claimed that he was "God", but the authors of the Gospels claim that he was over and over.

If you truly base your beliefs on "faith", then why have "faith" that a group of men living a thousand years ago actually compiled the exact and only books which were influenced by God and got rid of those that were not?