Author Topic: Lee Haney - the greatest Mr. O of all time!  (Read 33433 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Re: Another Lee Haney Thread. The greatest Mr. O of all time
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »
Lee said he didn't use steroids either, incredible.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
lol....I really like the story when Lee said to Dorian,"if I was upthere on stage, none of ya'll Pigs would have a chance".......that was before Dorian won his first Olympia.....Dorian himself recalled that on a Magazine

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
"Sort of mainstream"

Pre-internet, still a subculture, cult sport, but trendy, "in" for a while. The guys may have been living in a van outside Golds, but they put up the "professional" schtick. The cars may have been on lease, the clothes bought by the "sponsor", but it appeared good. They carried themselves well, eloquent, wore suits that didn't make them look like idiots, etc

Also a lot of the guys that were big then turned out ok, without losing their dignity, some doing very well, with some exceptions

I thought bodybuilding had arrived when the WBF hit, especially when the WBF guys took on the WWF guys on "Family Feud". When it folded, I was broken-hearted. I figured bodybuilding would never be a mainstream thing under the Weiders.

The IFBB guys laughed at the WBF, when McMahon was doing through his federal trials, regarding steroids.

I'll go out on a limb and say, if the IFBB guys were tested under the same scrutiny, we would have seen guys that made Mike Quinn look like Andreas Munzer.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »
When you have Rich Gaspari, Lee Labrada, Mike Christian, Gary Strydom, and Bertil Fox as your competitors...it's understandable that Lee would win. Each had pretty big flaws--Labrada's was only height.

I tell you what would have been cool. Haney, Yates, and Strydom (as he looked in 1991).

WOW!!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Lee Haney was much more impressive in person than in pictures. There is nobody during his era that could compete with him from the back. When Lee Haney turned around on stage, it was lights out. He also retired at the age of 31 i believe. That's really young for pro bodybuilding today.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
Lee Haney was much more impressive in person than in pictures. There is nobody during his era that could compete with him from the back. When Lee Haney turned around on stage, it was lights out. He also retired at the age of 31 i believe. That's really young for pro bodybuilding today.

I don't know. Mike Christian was one of the few that could match Haney....from the waist up, that is.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
What exactly does Mike have going on here in this pic?  ???

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »

Just another day at the foundry

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and say, if the IFBB guys were tested under the same scrutiny, we would have seen guys that made Mike Quinn look like Andreas Munzer.

I agree. Actual real strict testing, the guys wouldn't bother showing up. Quinn had to, or he faced serious penalties. He blamed it on Pasquale's diet. I blame it on being off some stuff for a little while, and no diuretics

The WBF made the guys look a little like a sideshow, maybe with some more time, competitors and money it couldve become more polished.

But it wouldve taken ages, to set up amateur divisions, infrastructure, judging panels, more shows. It was a wrestling spin-off at that time, and it looked like Strydom was always gonna be the winner (justifiably as it turns out) especially considering his coverage and salary package compared to others.
I didn't like the costumes and stupid build up commentary. Made them look like circus freaks

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »
great bodybuilder, one of the best

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
Lee Haney is the greatest mr.O  of all time plain and simple ....even If you like other physiques better than his.

the TRUE embassador of bodybuilding....can't think of anyone that comes even close.

WOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rajkapoor

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Like cracking top 5 at the Nationals is an accomplishment these days. They all look like shit. You don't overrate yourself to 8 Mr. Os ace.
dont waist a breath on this idiot bro.lee Haney through out his carrier and Ronnie in his first few olympia,s are the best bodybuilders ever walk on the earth.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Better than Ronnie, better than Dorian and better than Arnold..."small arms" and all
8x Mr. O.....No losses as Mr. O and went out on top and still healthy today. Great spokesman for bodybuilding and wonderful family man.

I dont think lees arms were small at all they just didnt overpower his torso , which people think is supposed to be the norm, big arms everything else be dammed...

lee was great... perfect physique,
choice is an illusion

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »

An iron foundry, for the "Iron Warrior".

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
I dont think lees arms were small at all they just didnt overpower his torso , which people think is supposed to be the norm, big arms everything else be dammed...

lee was great... perfect physique,

I think it looks better with larger torso and a bit smaller but still complete arms. When he flexes, you has bis and tris.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »
I think it looks better with larger torso and a bit smaller but still complete arms. When he flexes, you has bis and tris.

His arms sucked.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »
Better than Ronnie, better than Dorian and better than Arnold..."small arms" and all
8x Mr. O.....No losses as Mr. O and went out on top and still healthy today. Great spokesman for bodybuilding and wonderful family man.

If you count being the best by flawless victories, Dorian wins cause in all his Olympia wins he did not lose a single round, so his victories, once already at the top, were unrivaled by any Olympian winner.

If you count who has the most Olympia Sandow, Haney is the best but tied with Ronnie, so not exactly the best but the position would be shared.

Now if you count the best being by how may Olympia's could have been won, well Arnold by a long shot, any expert in the world agrees that Arnold at the very least would have won from 1970 to 1980 and that would make 11 and possibly even 1981, 82, 83 so would make 14. Haney would not have made 9 no matter what cause Dorian almost stopped him in 1991 by winning the muscularity round and the the entire prejudging. also Dorian improved by leaps in 1992. Now Dorian also would not have been able to win anymore either as he had to many tears, and Coleman lost at the end as well. So Arnold clearly wins as the potential Sandows.

So clearly if you claim Haney is the best you have to include Ronnie or if there is another reason for thinking so it  is only an opinion otherwise.

Truth is Dorian was the best of all time cause he had the least losses with the most dominant and flawless wins, not to mention in an era where 80% of the entire bodybuilding community agrees was the most dominant and strongest era.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
If you count being the best by flawless victories, Dorian wins cause in all his Olympia wins he did not lose a single round, so his victories, once already at the top, were unrivaled by any Olympian winner.

If you count who has the most Olympia Sandow, Haney is the best but tied with Ronnie, so not exactly the best but the position would be shared.

Now if you count the best being by how may Olympia's could have been won, well Arnold by a long shot, any expert in the world agrees that Arnold at the very least would have won from 1970 to 1980 and that would make 11 and possibly even 1981, 82, 83 so would make 14. Haney would not have made 9 no matter what cause Dorian almost stopped him in 1991 by winning the muscularity round and the the entire prejudging. also Dorian improved by leaps in 1992. Now Dorian also would not have been able to win anymore either as he had to many tears, and Coleman lost at the end as well. So Arnold clearly wins as the potential Sandows.

So clearly if you claim Haney is the best you have to include Ronnie or if there is another reason for thinking so it  is only an opinion otherwise.

Truth is Dorian was the best of all time cause he had the least losses with the most dominant and flawless wins, not to mention in an era where 80% of the entire bodybuilding community agrees was the most dominant and strongest era.

I'd have to disagree with you there. One, I put Haney over Yates and Coleman, for three reasons.

1) Haney won eight of nine Olympias; Coleman won 8 of 15; Yates won 6 of 7. Winning percentage: 89% vs. 53% vs. 86%

2) Haney unseated a defending Mr. O, something that neither Yates nor Coleman did.

3) Haney has more wins than Yates and beat Yates, head to head.

You claim that Haney wouldn't have beaten Yates in '92, as Yates made drastic improvements. I don't see much different between his '91 and '92 look. Plus, you assume that Haney could not have made similar improvements. At the same size, Haney beats Yates, based on Haney's superior shape and aesthetics.

The "flawless" victory thing? That is just bogus, especially in 1994. How do you win flawlessly with a torn bicep and holding more water than the Hoover Dam. I try not to get into the "uncrowned" thing; but, if there's one guy who got robbed, it was Shawn Ray in 1994.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
No one on the planet could see Haney making more improvements then he did and 9 out of 10 of the bodybuilding community agrees that Haney could not beat a 92 Yates, but who cares even if he could that argument only would count for something against potential Olympia wins which Arnold clearly wins over anyone even if you did give that potential win to Haney.

As for the best ever is someone who not only gets to the top but separates himself from the field and Haney did not do this and Dorian did, in fact Dorian is the only multiple Olympian winner who never lost a round except Heath but Heath only has 2 wins

Dominance is what wins the category of the best ever and Haney lost way too many rounds in fact only 2 or 3 Olympias he did not lose rounds, he lost rounds against Gaspari, Labrada and Yates and Coleman too, lost rounds to wheeler, Cutler and Levrone and even lost a show to gunter during his reign so forget about those 2 being the best ever if they are struggling and barely winning while Yates is winning by a country mile with ease.

Yates wins.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
His arms sucked.

Haney got out before everyone went crazy with synthol and all the other related "fillers"

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:25 PM »

So clearly if you claim Haney is the best you have to include Ronnie or if there is another reason for thinking so it  is only an opinion otherwise.

Haney was the best before bodybuilding "jumped the shark"...After Haney, the weird factor took over and never looked back. I'm glad Haney got out when he did so we never had to see him with a belly.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Never understood how he won 8.  So underwhelming.

so who were the bbrs whom in your opinion deserved to win in these 8 years??..

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »
Haney's arms look damn good here(1991 mr. Olympia) And his back width demolished everybody's on stage. This up close schmoe video of the pose down shows Haney being the clear winner imop. In fact, it doesn't even look close once the pose down starts.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=207227239343405

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »
so who were the bbrs whom in your opinion deserved to win in these 8 years??..
Well Yates won the prejudging in 91 and even though I agree with the outcome of the show I disagree that the winner of the prejudging should or could lose the show, prejudging is the sole decision on bodybuilder's physique, the rest of the judging is for political reasons as a second assessment, and to favor catch ups, nothing more.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »

::) ::) ::)  Here we go....I'll end this really quick. Haney 8 Mr. Os. Yates 6. Haney undefeated as Mr. O Ronnie 2 losses....End of story.