Author Topic: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's GOP Fan Club Grows but No Bigger Plans Yet  (Read 3177 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
He would certainly be the most colorful candidate if he ran.  

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's GOP Fan Club Grows but No Bigger Plans Yet
Published November 19, 2010
| FoxNews.com

Chris Christie is known for his "tell it like it is" attitude -- an attitude that helped him get elected New Jersey governor and makes him a popular pick among Republicans to run for president in 2012.

And when headlining an Indiana Republican Party dinner last month, Christie was hailed -- by his political best friend, Hoosier State Gov. Mitch Daniels -- as bigger than U2's Bono.

"I said, 'you're aiming too low," Daniels said. "If you want a real rock star, you gotta get Chris Christie from New Jersey."

Judging by the enthusiastic reaction of the crowd, Christie had added a few hundred staunch Republicans to his rapidly growing fan club.

Christie's tendency to stand up to the liberal establishment, most notably teachers' unions, has ignited a national grassroots following that is begging Christie to throw his hat in the presidential ring. But so far, he has beaten down any such speculation.

Christie came out of nowhere when he burst onto the scene last year. His fight to be New Jersey's governor was just that -- one that had national attention and, some would argue, national implications.

Christie beat incumbant Democratic Gov. Jon Corzine -- a close Obama ally. And with Bob McDonnell winning the governor's race in Virginia on the same day, the Republican victories in Democratically held states were seen as the first indication Obama's support was starting to wane.
After declaring victory, Christie told supporters that Corzine had called him and "pledged a smooth transition."

But that smooth transition was short-lived. Christie found out that the $500 million surplus Corzine promised was actually a $2.2 billion deficit. Christie impounded the full amount in spending by executive order and told the Democratic legislature to clean up the mess without raising taxes.
"And they said -- started calling me names. Started calling me Julius Caesar and Napoleon Bonaparte," Christie joked at the time in a speech, "all those great leaders of the past, men I deeply admire."

Christie's seeming inability to mince words has also made enemies with the New Jersey teachers' union, stemming from proposed wage freezes and benefit concessions.

"So I said to them, if you make that deal, freeze your pay for one year and contribute one and a half percent to your health insurance, we will be able to balance off these cuts and have no teacher layoffs. The answer was no," Christie said in another speech.

And one of the local union presidents even said he prayed for Christie's death.

"They said they didn't intend for it to be public," Christie responded. "So private prayer for my death would have been ok?"

While Christie rarely talks about foreign policy or national security threats, he dealt head-on with the threat from radical Islam as New Jersey's attorney general, investigating, arresting and prosecuting the group of men who were eventually found guilty of terrorism charges for trying to attack Fort Dix.

"The philosophy that supports and encourages jihad around the world and against Americans came to live here in New Jersey and threatened the lives of our citizens through these defendants," he said at the time.

Christie's tendency to stand up to the liberal establishment has ignited a national grassroots following that is begging Christie to throw his hat in the presidential ring.

"I think Chris Christie is so popular with the Tea Party because they like both his style and his substance. He has a very forthright style, he doesn't hesitate to confront critics and tell him exactly what he thinks -- whether they're the press or citizens," University of Virginia Center for Politics Director Larry Sabato said.

In fact, Tea Party movement leaders privately say he's the politician they most want to draft in 2012.

"They would love to see him run," Sabato said. "Christie has appropriately concluded, at least for the time being that its not in his interest to do so. Its amazing how many public officials are perfectly happy to abandon the position they've got to run for the higher one."

In fact, Christie had agreed to an interview for Fox News' "12 in 2012" series but backed out, perhaps to make sure no one can accuse him of even looking like he's considering a run.

He already has firmly denied he plans to run for president.

"Listen, I've said I don't want to, I'm not going to, There's zero chance I will," he said shortly after the midterm elections earlier this month. "I don't feel like I'm ready to be president. I don't want to run for president. I don't have the fire in the belly to run for president. But yet, everybody still thinks, 'Well, he's left the door open.

"Short of suicide, I don't really know what I'd have to do to convince you people that I'm not running. I'm not running."

But try as he might -- Christie is still seen as a rising leader who could reshape the GOP.

"We need to start taking our country back, not in 2012, not by focusing on who our nominee for president is going to be," he said. "It is put up or shut up time for our party."

This is the final installment of Fox News' “12 in 2012,” profiles of potential GOP contenders for the White House.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/19/guy-plans/

James

He would have my vote.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
I live in NJ.
He wouldn't have my vote.
He is too busy looking at the white house to do what is right for NJ.

Example...compromise.  Not building the tunnel is going to cost NJ at least 80 million.
If looking at the long term,  High speed rail is one of the things this country needs to compete with china.

Sandra

James

I live in NJ.
He wouldn't have my vote.
He is too busy looking at the white house to do what is right for NJ.

Example...compromise.  Not building the tunnel is going to cost NJ at least 80 million.
If looking at the long term,  High speed rail is one of the things this country needs to compete with china.

Sandra

New Jersey is grappling with a deficit in the billions.

When you’re in a hole, stop digging.

When you’re broke, stop spending.

[/youtube]

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Christie did the right thing on that tunnel.  NJ taxpayers would have been on the hook for at least 4 Billion dollars and possibly more. 

NJ is F'ING BROKE!

James

Christie did the right thing on that tunnel.  NJ taxpayers would have been on the hook for at least 4 Billion dollars and possibly more.  

NJ is F'ING BROKE!

Exactly!

Christie on the tunnel

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Governor Chris Christie Is Our Nightmare, Say Democratic Insiders About 2012 Race
WWW.HUFFINGTONPOST.COM

________________________ ________________

Republican New Jersey governor Chris Christie is the person Democrats fear most in the run for the White House in 2012.

At a farewell reception and dinner for Senator Chris Dodd at the Irish Embassy this week I heard his name over and over.

Among the Democratic bigs present were Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Patrick Leahy, Vicki Kennedy and Teddy's sister, Jean Kennedy Smith, as well as congressmen and Maryland governor Martin O'Malley.

I found the mood surprisingly upbeat given the grim results of the midterms.

Perhaps it was the caliber of the Republican field for 2012 that was giving them some relief. Clearly they would relish a face off against Sarah Palin or Mike Huckabee.

Mitt Romney is taken more seriously, but right now Christie is the name that resonates.

Democrats know they lost the blue collar Catholic ethnic vote in a line stretching from Upstate New York across to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and the Mid West.

As an Italian./Irish Catholic Christie speaks directly to that constituency.

The next election gets fought over similar terrain.Christie's appeal like Joe Biden's is to that very same ethnic coalition.

If you think Biden was brought onto the ticket for his foreign policy experience and not his deep Scranton Irish roots appeal I have some a bridge to sell you.

Christie is also moderate enough that they know he will not be easily consigned to the Tea Party tea chest when the going gets rough if he decided to run.

But most of all he is seen as plain spoken, articulate and prepared to take on special interests. He's now the candidate in the way Obama was for Democrats last time, unencumbered by baggage, liked at all levels of the party so far, but still somewhat of a mystery.

It is an amazing reality that just over a year in office and still a novice, he is the candidate who sets the alarm bells ringing in top Democratic Party circles.

That speaks to either Republican weakness at the top of the ticket, or the new reality in this ADD age that a fresh face come election time trumps the same old visage every time.

How Obama would shape up against a popular East Coast governor would make for a fascinating battle and not one the White House could have forseen when Christie was first elected.

Of course he keeps saying he won't run but Obama, a first time senator,was making the same kind of noises four years ago.

This could get very interesting.

Follow Niall O'Dowd on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NiallODowd

________________________ ________________________ _

The "progressives" are all up in arms over there are this. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Governor Chris Christie Is Our Nightmare, Say Democratic Insiders About 2012 Race
WWW.HUFFINGTONPOST.COM

________________________ ________________

I believe that 100%.

They WANT a polarizing extremist like Palin to run - moderates aren't gonna vote for her (polls already show it) and she's awesome for the dem base - Chris Mathews runs 4 pieces a week on how hypocritical, dumb, whatever, she is.

They DO NOT want a person like Christie (or Barbour!).

The more I think about it, the more I realize a barbour candidacy is probably gona win i.  Barbour/Christie would be f-ing INSANE.  They'd beat Obama badly!

(But it won't happen, because you 2008 romneycare supporters are gonna beg for Palin/Romney in 2012... cause hannity tells you so... bwahahahahaha)

James

I believe that 100%.

They WANT a polarizing extremist like Palin to run - moderates aren't gonna vote for her (polls already show it) and she's awesome for the dem base - Chris Mathews runs 4 pieces a week on how hypocritical, dumb, whatever, she is.

They DO NOT want a person like Christie (or Barbour!).

The more I think about it, the more I realize a barbour candidacy is probably gona win i.  Barbour/Christie would be f-ing INSANE.  They'd beat Obama badly!

(But it won't happen, because you 2008 romneycare supporters are gonna beg for Palin/Romney in 2012... cause hannity tells you so... bwahahahahaha)

Both Hannity and Rush are constantly giving praise to Gov Christie.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I like Haley Barbour - but damn - that accent makes him seem like Boss Hog from Dukes of Hazard.

Christie/Barbour

Christie/Thune 

Thune/Christie

Something like that would be deadly to Obama.

I think Obama would probably cry in a debate with Christie.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's GOP Fan Club Grows but No Bigger Plans Yet
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »
Both Hannity and Rush are constantly giving praise to Gov Christie.

In 2010 they are.

however, I'm betting if he's a legit threat to Palin, Huck, Newt, and other network sweethearts (as well as the status quo ala Ron Paul), they'll be standing on the rooftops to drop turds on him.  Right now, they love EVERYTHING that is anti-Obama.  that'll change when the repubs startin biting one another.  Hannity took sides in 08, and he will do it again.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
Thune+ Christy= Guaranteed to win in 2012 or 2016; Guaranteed to fix America; Guaranteed a second term. I just have a hunch. Those two in tandem make conservatism a viable movement again. No stupid gimmicky hick bullshit with this bimbo shooting bears in the forest and her slut daughter getting felt up on national television while she rails against sex before marriage. No soft ass middle of the road quasi republicans like McCain, no more being grandfathered into political prominence like GW and his daddy. And finally, no more Clinton's. Barak Hussein Osama has no shot of winning in 2012 and quite frankly he might not even get the nomination. If Hillary runs, it is going to take a solid Republican answer. Thune and Christy are articulate, young, no-nonsense and will appeal to conservatives and right leaning moderates across the board.

If the Republicans are dumb enough to run Palin again they don't deserve to have the WH, I mean BH.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »
I like Haley Barbour - but damn - that accent makes him seem like Boss Hog from Dukes of Hazard.

Honestly, I think he has the credibility with the right-wing palin voters, he has the $ (remember all the repub money went to his gov assoc, not Steele's lesbian encounter fund), and the fat down south accent would sell well, IMO.  America already has smooth and suave with Obama.  barbour wants it BAD too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 07:25:26 AM »
I also think Christie is exactly the type people are looking for after obama -

Less than perfect looks and persona.  

Reality based policies and statements

Take no shit.  

Speak what you mean without hesitation.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 07:29:23 AM »
Honestly, I think he has the credibility with the right-wing palin voters, he has the $ (remember all the repub money went to his gov assoc, not Steele's lesbian encounter fund), and the fat down south accent would sell well, IMO.  America already has smooth and suave with Obama.  barbour wants it BAD too.

Oh i like Haley Barbour a lot.  don't get me wrong - i am totally with him in 2012.  I guess being in NYC - its hard for me to see the nation going wih Boss hog like that. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
New Jersey is grappling with a deficit in the billions.

When you’re in a hole, stop digging.

When you’re broke, stop spending.

[/youtube]

Truth.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »
Oh i like Haley Barbour a lot.  don't get me wrong - i am totally with him in 2012.  I guess being in NYC - its hard for me to see the nation going wih Boss hog like that. 

NY is gonna vote Obama no matter what - but look at all the states that Obama won - that Barbour would win - IN THE SOUTH.  Obama got North carolina and Fl for pete's sake... you just KNOW barbour would clean his clock there.