Author Topic: Magoo: The Quest for a 405 bench  (Read 108346 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Magoo hopes to not be weak.
« Reply #650 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:51 PM »
why don't you go ass to grass ???

why would i want to?  ???

SICK numbers man.. i think soon you might catch me in the bench.. Right now I've been working sub 365 weights for the past few weeks to hopefully get back in it. I'm not sure where it all went but my strength went out the shitter FAST!

haha, yeah i'll catch you in the bench, which means my total will only be... 250 pounds below yours or so. excellent!  ;D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #651 on: September 18, 2008, 09:51:46 PM »

A2G (dumbest acronym ever) is fucking stupid.  And gay. Magoo is neither.  Completely anyway ;D

Jason

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #652 on: September 19, 2008, 05:05:33 AM »
A2G (dumbest acronym ever) is fucking stupid.  And gay. Magoo is neither.  Completely anyway ;D
::) ::) ::)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #653 on: September 19, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
::) he went plenty deep, i love all these clowns who think that if your balls aren't resting on the floor it's not a squat, people like this obviously don't squat or if they do use a 25 pound plate on each side, nothing wrong with that squatting depth at all.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #654 on: September 19, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »

Translation = I fullsquat 3 plates for 2, but I can do 10000000000000000 pounds when I go to "parallel".  ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #655 on: September 19, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »
anyone who thinks that isn't a "full" squat has never been in a gym.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #656 on: September 19, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
Squat depth is fine.

The hip joint must pass the top of the knee. straight from my rulebook.

Damn good lifts Magoo.

8)

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #657 on: September 19, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
anyone who thinks that isn't a "full" squat has never been in a gym.

It's definetely deep enough, but if he squatted oly style he could have gone deeper.

But who cares - 405x3 is good.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #658 on: September 19, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
i'm not gonna claim that was a super-deep squat, but it'd pass in any meet you put me in, so why should i care about going further down? if i can squat 455 to just under parallel, or 395 ass on my calves, and both would get white lights on the platform, what's the point of sacrificing 60 pounds just so i can say i went as deep as possible?

today i discovered just how weak my weak spot is. after close-gripping, i put the squat rack pins at about 6-7" off the chest where i tend to stall. i could BARELY get 315 once. as it turns out i REALLY need to put some work at that part of the rep.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #659 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
Great lifting, Magoo.  405x3 is def something to be proud of, especially since it's almost a double BW squat.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #660 on: September 20, 2008, 03:47:29 AM »
Great lifting, Magoo.  405x3 is def something to be proud of, especially since it's almost a double BW squat.

Yep - that's what I thought was impressive about it - 405 at a 215 bodyweight is very good for anyone.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #661 on: September 20, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »
Squat dept looks good to me. Always hard to tell from the back. Though if you look at the reflection in the mirror unless you are blind you can see its a good depth and below parallel

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #662 on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Good vid + good weight

Props

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #663 on: September 22, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
MONDAY:

deadlifts:
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x3
445x3 - not a great set, but not too hard either. weight didn't stay on my heels on rep 3.

pause squats:
225x5
325x5
325x5

shrugs:
225x50
315x20
405x12
405x12 - ow hook grip ow

decline crunches
BWx12
30x10
40x6 - holding a barbell against my neck

weight: 216, more like 213 in the morning still.

notes: i figure i can get 455x3 paused, but i'm going to stick with 445 until it gets easier.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #664 on: October 06, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
RIP :'(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Miss Demeanor

• Getbig III
« Reply #665 on: October 10, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
RIP :'(

What happened?  I hope Zack is okay :(

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #666 on: October 17, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
school: eating up my time.

however, i hit a clean 365 touch and go bench today weighing 218.5, no questions about it. i then attempted 375 and hurt my shoulder. 405 by january 1st is looking more and more doable (i'll have a video of the attempt even if it breaks my elbows and i drop it on my face).

445 deep squat on thursday, officially over a double bodyweight squat. i moved my feet in a bit so it's less of a good morning and, incidentally, my knees hurt less. i get a little more rebound out of the hole as well, so i can not only go deeper but i've got extra speed once i hit my sticking point.

deadlift is sucking as normal. 455x3 paused on the floor is my normal work set. mainly i can't hold my air.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #667 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »
school: eating up my time.

however, i hit a clean 365 touch and go bench today weighing 218.5, no questions about it. i then attempted 375 and hurt my shoulder. 405 by january 1st is looking more and more doable (i'll have a video of the attempt even if it breaks my elbows and i drop it on my face).

445 deep squat on thursday, officially over a double bodyweight squat. i moved my feet in a bit so it's less of a good morning and, incidentally, my knees hurt less. i get a little more rebound out of the hole as well, so i can not only go deeper but i've got extra speed once i hit my sticking point.

deadlift is sucking as normal. 455x3 paused on the floor is my normal work set. mainly i can't hold my air.
Welcome back negra!!

How many reps do you normally do on DL? Do you ever back down to 315-365 and crack as many reps as possible for a couple of weeks? That's what I do, it helps with the breathing.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #668 on: October 20, 2008, 04:09:32 PM »
Welcome back negra!!

How many reps do you normally do on DL? Do you ever back down to 315-365 and crack as many reps as possible for a couple of weeks? That's what I do, it helps with the breathing.

it's been a bit of a journey but i think i've got my pull form settled. see, for the longest time, i did the grip and rip because it was the only way i could get my air, but i felt like it was a crap shoot with my body position. finally i figured out to just, y'know, learn to hold my breath for an extra two seconds while i get my form solid. also, only work in touch and go doubles.

the results in today's workout:
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x2
455x2
475x2
495x2 + 30 second hold.

once in a while i'll do the speed sets, but not today. i was just too shattered.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #669 on: October 20, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »

today i discovered just how weak my weak spot is. after close-gripping, i put the squat rack pins at about 6-7" off the chest where i tend to stall. i could BARELY get 315 once. as it turns out i REALLY need to put some work at that part of the rep.

Hamstrings and ass

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #670 on: October 20, 2008, 07:28:54 PM »
Hamstrings and ass

Jason

i'll give that a go, but for some reason i doubt my posterior chain is why my bench stalls.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #671 on: October 20, 2008, 07:37:08 PM »
i'll give that a go, but for some reason i doubt my posterior chain is why my bench stalls.
LOL.

So your problem is your set-up? You're one of those guys that holds their breath, then grabs the bar and goes?

Why can't you get set with your grip, take a deep breath and pull? That's what I do, I get my foot position, then set my hands, breathe deep, and fuckin PULL!!!! ;D

What is the limiting factor?

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #672 on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »

Guess I should have read it a bit closer. your bar speed sucks.

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #673 on: October 20, 2008, 08:48:52 PM »
Guess I should have read it a bit closer. your bar speed sucks.

Jason

lol, this is very true. i'm trying to incorporate speed work on assitance days instead of close-grip. my bar speed sucks on pretty much every lift.

and chaos, yeah you nailed it there. my belt is crazy tight so i just can't get any air when i'm holding the bar. i've tried a bunch of weird techniques to make it easier but nothing really worked.

then i watched my one buddy on one of his speed days (515 for four sets of 2  >:( ) and what he did was squat down most of the way, then take his breath and grip-n-rip. think konstantin in the one video of his 900+ pulls. but he really took his time getting his grip, despite holding all his air. so i tried it out but started standing.

so i got a solid 495x2 pull weighing 219 today. not necessarily better than my 515 from a few weeks ago, but i think it was cleaner, whereas i'm surprised my back didn't blow out before.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #674 on: October 21, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »
lol, this is very true. i'm trying to incorporate speed work on assitance days instead of close-grip. my bar speed sucks on pretty much every lift.

and chaos, yeah you nailed it there. my belt is crazy tight so i just can't get any air when i'm holding the bar. i've tried a bunch of weird techniques to make it easier but nothing really worked.

then i watched my one buddy on one of his speed days (515 for four sets of 2  >:( ) and what he did was squat down most of the way, then take his breath and grip-n-rip. think konstantin in the one video of his 900+ pulls. but he really took his time getting his grip, despite holding all his air. so i tried it out but started standing.

so i got a solid 495x2 pull weighing 219 today. not necessarily better than my 515 from a few weeks ago, but i think it was cleaner, whereas i'm surprised my back didn't blow out before.

have you tried wearing your belt a notch loose? if you do this you can get HUGE amounts of air, and actually be able to push your abs into your belt.

Jason