Author Topic: Pat Banya - Natural Bodybuilding Q&A  (Read 108681 times)

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
Pat Banya - Natural Bodybuilding Q&A
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that I was interested in offering my insight to those of you who are interested.  Please think of this as a GH15 alternative.  Since he's just talking about what he knows best, drugs, I would like to give some perspective on how to be successful without them.

Please note, any rude or disrespectful comments will be reported.  Let's all try and be civil, and not bash any other members for posting here.

Commence.

SmallPole

• Getbig III
Re: Pat Banya - Natural Bodybuilding Q&A
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
if you know so much about training for naturals, why aren't you even close to Ronnie Coleman?

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
Pat Banya,

Whats your workout routine?

How much can you bench?

Thanks.

My workout routine can be found here: http://www.cutandjacked.com/patbanya-interview it's also available in a PDF file on the same page.

I'm not very strong, and I typically work out with my body weight.  I don't make it a habit to do a max repetition on any of my lifts.

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
if you know so much about training for naturals, why aren't you even close to Ronnie Coleman?

He has better genetics than me.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
He has better genetics than me.
i dont know about that, i seriously doubt he was as big as you totally lifetime natural.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Questions:
1-how often a bodypart has to be trained by a natural bodybuilder?
2-how many set and repetition for each bodypart are requaired by a natural bodybuilder?
3-how many protein,carbs,fat and calorie are requaired by a natural bodybuilder for gaining mass(offseason)?
4-how many protein,carbs,fat and calorie are requaired by a natural bodybuilder for definition(contest phase)?
5-how much cardio is requaired by natural bodybuilder in contest in offseason and contest phase?
6-how many meals are requaired in a day by natural bodybuilder in offseason phase and contest phase?
7-are supplements needed by a natural bodybuilder?
8-if you answer yes,please tell me what supplement do you raccomend and what dosage?
Thank you in advance for your answer Mr. Pat Banya!!!

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
i dont know about that, i seriously doubt he was as big as you totally lifetime natural.

My contest weight at the 2010 NPC Tea Universe was 196lbs; light heavyweight.  I didn't win my weight class; I came in 4th.

When he competed at and won 1st place at the 1991 World Amateur Championships he was a heavyweight.  That contest requires drug testing.  

Regardless of what people may speculate that he has done to get bigger later in his career, after meeting him in person on several occasions, I can honestly say I don't have his frame.  My structure is similar, but he's also taller than me.

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
Questions:
1-how often a bodypart has to be trained by a natural bodybuilder?
2-how many set and repetition for each bodypart are requaired by a natural bodybuilder?
3-how many protein,carbs,fat and calorie are requaired by a natural bodybuilder for gaining mass(offseason)?
4-how many protein,carbs,fat and calorie are requaired by a natural bodybuilder for definition(contest phase)?
5-how much cardio is requaired by natural bodybuilder in contest in offseason and contest phase?
6-how many meals are requaired in a day by natural bodybuilder in offseason phase and contest phase?
7-are supplements needed by a natural bodybuilder?
8-if you answer yes,please tell me what supplement do you raccomend and what dosage?
Thank you in advance for your answer Mr. Pat Banya!!!

1.  I train everything once a week.  It's in my workout routine which can be found here: http://www.cutandjacked.com/patbanya-interview

2.  3-4 sets, 10-12 repetitions have always provided excellent results for me.  Since we're talking hypertrophy, you don't want to go too low.  Use my tips as a guide, and experiment with sets and reps and find what works for you.

3.  Double your pre-contest contest intake at the minimum.  If you don't compete and have never been on a pre-contest diet, try to increase your diet by 500 calorie increments.  Divide the proteins and carbs into equal gram portions (round it to 60grams since 62.5 is a funny number); try to eat 100 extra calories with each meal you are consuming.

4.  Approximately half of your off season intake.  Protein is more important than carbs if you want to come in shredded, and still maintain as much muscle mass as possible.  I have had best success with a 2:1 protein to carb ratio.  I consume 2grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.  Experiment, but I still still think 1.5grams is minimum if you go on a low carb diet.

5.  I don't do any cardio in either phases.  I try to stick to a very clean diet year round.  Depending on your body type and metabolism, you might not either.  The only times I have incorporated cardio is when I needed to make my weight class for a contest.

6.  The number of meals depends on your overall intake and appetite.  For instance, if you're consuming 3000 calories, split it evenly over the course of each meal.  Try to eat more carbs earlier in the day, and less at night if you want to stay leaner.

7.  Depending on what your goals and caloric requirements are, and how you intend to consume them, yes.

8.  I suggest supplements that provide calories, and are derived from food.  The supplements I like to use are:  Whey protein, protein bars, meal replacement powders/ bars, and multivitamins.  Those should provide everything you need allow you to consume more or less of certain macro and micro nutrients.

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
So what is your plan going forward to the Natural Championships? Are you pumped to get your pro card and compete against other warriors in the heat of battle on stage  :)

I'll most likely retire from competition or just bounce around in the 212's or whatever smaller weight class division is in existence.  I have no delusion of winning at the IFBB level so I'll just do it for myself.  Since, like you all, I'm also a fan, I enjoy interacting with the guys I read about on the boards.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
Pat, as a natural athlete. What do you use as a sleep aid to make sure you get the most out of the recovery and natural night gh spike?
Boundary Breaker

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
Pat, as a natural athlete. What do you use as a sleep aid to make sure you get the most out of the recovery and natural night gh spike?

melatonin is good for that, a few grams of glutamine before bed also

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
melatonin is good for that, a few grams of glutamine before bed also

This is a great answer.  Personally, I just try to go to bed earlier or workout at night since it makes me feel exhausted.  But it all just comes down to scheduling and how well you can adhere to it.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Pat, how many years did you juice before you turned "natural"?
P

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »
Pat, how many years did you juice before you turned "natural"?

I'm only humoring you because we're both naturals.  I never have.  My before pictures show where I started.  I don't look big in clothes, I never have.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
I'm only humoring you because we're both naturals.  I never have.  My before pictures show where I started.  I don't look big in clothes, I never have.

Well then clearly you have the greatest bodybuilding genetics of all time. You wouldn't even have to juice that much to become Mr Olympia and a multi millionaire..... yet you choose to stay natural.
P

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Well then clearly you have the greatest bodybuilding genetics of all time. You wouldn't even have to juice that much to become Mr Olympia and a multi millionaire..... yet you choose to stay natural.

I don't think that first part is accurate.  I have good genetics, but not the best.  I'm very real about all my flaws, and I have a many.  I didn't get into bodybuilding to make money.  I know how things work, and the type of opportunities that are available.  

What I wanted was to look my best and see what I could achieve and how far I could go naturally.  I think, so far, I've done a decent job of that.  Taking "stuff" doesn't guarantee an Olympia title.  If that were the case, several hall of fame bodybuilders from the 90's would have had at least one.  I'm not willing to risk my health, in any capacity, by taking drugs.

It's just a personal thing.  I don't think less of anyone else who does things differently.  Life is about choices, and I've made mine on this issue.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
I'll most likely retire from competition or just bounce around in the 212's or whatever smaller weight class division is in existence.  I have no delusion of winning at the IFBB level so I'll just do it for myself.  Since, like you all, I'm also a fan, I enjoy interacting with the guys I read about on the boards.

So tell everyone why it is that you dont jump to the WNBF and compete there as a pro and potentially win money?  Thats the most amazing thing to me when these guys who shove their 'natural' status down everyones throat and constantly compete in the Team U.  You arent going anywhere if you win the show, and you aren't getting 'exposure' by not winning it.

Serious question....serious answer please....Oh, and just an fyi...I did compete in WNBF.  As a natural for as long as I was...I would say that you are in no way natural.  My opinion...

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
So tell everyone why it is that you dont jump to the WNBF and compete there as a pro and potentially win money?  Thats the most amazing thing to me when these guys who shove their 'natural' status down everyones throat and constantly compete in the Team U.  You arent going anywhere if you win the show, and you aren't getting 'exposure' by not winning it.

Serious question....serious answer please....Oh, and just an fyi...I did compete in WNBF.  As a natural for as long as I was...I would say that you are in no way natural.  My opinion...

Competitive bodybuilding is and always will be about what each individual wants to accomplish.  I talk about that throughout my blog.  I say, in detail, how I used to believe what I read on the boards and I wanted to see the truth with my own eyes.

Since I was 16 years old, I have been getting drug allegations.  I've never been much to look at tbh.  However, I have a build that is well suited for competitive bodybuilding.  That's why I started competing, in 2009, after 10 years of serious lifting.  All of this is stated in my blog.

The WNBF is great.  As are the IFPA, PNBA, SNBF, etc.  There's SO many different federations out there, and they all have different contest formats.  Some allow you to use props during posing routines, and some don't.  I like the way the NPC and IFBB does things.  I think it exemplifies bodybuilding as a sport and not just a "show."

Prize money is great when it's available.  But let's be realistic, depending on how you look at things (if you factor hotel, travel costs, and anything unexpected) the WNBF prize money isn't going to make much of an impact in anyone's income.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Dave Goodin hold the record for winning the most prize money in the history of their organization over the course of one year?  This was the case several years ago, but someone might have surpassed that in recent history.  That amount was around, $10,000 for X amount of shows.

Also, many organizations try to prohibit their top athletes from competing anywhere else and offer nothing in exchange for their loyalty.  And, since winning prize money is never guaranteed you're basically letting them exploit you in exchange for nothing.

At least in the NPC/ IFBB you get to be in magazines that people actually read/ know about, and have historical significance.  NPC News, Flex, MD, everyone knows about these publications; even the top natural bodybuilders follow them.  I have been fortunate enough to be in several of these magazines, and I was thrilled!  That was/is one of my goals.

The truth is, if every single natural had the genetics, and the determination to build a national level or IFBB worthy physique they would compete at that level.  Unfortunately, that isn't the case.  People should compete in the organization that coincides with their goals and best suits their physique.

If you get into this sport solely to make lots of "prize money,"  you'll be sorely disappointed.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
OK Patty......
What kind of poundage do you use during your workouts? Not max weight, but your normal weights that you use for lifting, lets say bench, squat and deadlift for reps.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
OK Patty......
What kind of poundage do you use during your workouts? Not max weight, but your normal weights that you use for lifting, lets say bench, squat and deadlift for reps.

I don't think any of my lifts would impress anyone on here who isn't a complete newbie.  I can do reps with 495 on squats and dead lifts, but I'm not setting any records.  

I haven't maxed out since my early 20's.  At the time I thought my lifts were pretty good, but since that's in the past, I don't talk about.  When I was younger, my heaviest off season weight 265.  Back then, I was a "little" stronger, and actually looked big in clothes.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »
I don't think any of my lifts would impress anyone on here who isn't a complete newbie.  I can do reps with 495 on squats and dead lifts, but I'm not setting any records.  

Aren't you like 200#'s?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Aren't you like 200#'s?

On my diet, it's hard for me to get above 220 off season these days.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 05:48:42 PM »
On my diet, it's hard for me to get above 220 off season days.
And you're repping 495 on squats and deads. LOL.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

patbanya

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Lifetime Natural
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
And you're repping 495 on squats and deads. LOL.

Like I said, I'm not very strong.  Do you have to make fun of me for everything?  Geeze.  Still luv ya though, no worries mate! :)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Pat what do you mean by "repping" exactly?  How many reps?