Author Topic: what was the arnold/mentzer confrontation about at the 80 olympia?  (Read 59230 times)

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: what was the arnold/mentzer confrontation about at the 80 olympia?
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:18 PM »

Haha, it's obvious that Mike OWNED Arnie there...Arnie couldn't even bear to look at Mentzer, he was petrified to the core!
Team Goodrum!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2006, 10:37:59 AM »
pussy? no way. he was breaking his balls and all he wanted was for the guy to melt down.

I don't think so. All accounts of that day state Mike put a scare into Arnold when  Mike blew his stack.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »
Great photo. I bet if Mentzer had stepped closer, Waller would have stood up and crushed him. Waller was a braller, who would mix it up. ;D

Waller was a tough, ex-football playing country boy.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2006, 12:22:45 AM »

Kenny loved to fight.  I told a story on the history about when me,Kenny, Manny Perry and Ron Depolito were walking across the street in frontof World Gym.  A car with 3 or 4 guys almost hit us.  Kenny ran at least a mile after these guys.  We jumped in the car and chased after him.  He said he was hoping they would hit a red light or stop sign. Hewas funny.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2006, 06:00:11 PM »
The Mentzer hype in that show was overrated. His chest was flat and other than his conditioning, nothing really stood out.

Arnold, even at his worst, still had that unbeatable structure.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »
The Mentzer hype in that show was overrated. His chest was flat and other than his conditioning, nothing really stood out.

Mentzer was unbeatable that day due to his combo of mass and symmetry. Arnold was a joke. Unbeatable structure? He towered above Mike but yet his legs were significantly SMALLER...I rest my case.
Team Goodrum!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2006, 09:03:44 PM »
Mentzer has more mass?
Where?

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »
Mentzer has more mass?
Where?

Arms, quads, delts, everywhere....compare Mike's arms to Zane's and his legs to Arnie's toothpicks..out of all the BBs there, Mentzer was the most balanced, symmetrical and yes, massive.
Team Goodrum!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 01:39:49 AM »
I used to a Mentzer fan through and through.

Still thinks he had a crazy physique.

But Arnold was the man. He's the greatest bodybuilder ever.

I don't count Sergio as a bodybuilder, he's on a different level, unique.

But when it comes to humans, Arnold rule.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2006, 06:14:07 AM »
Quote from: FREAKgeek on August 17, 2006, 09:00:11 PM

Mentzer was unbeatable that day due to his combo of mass and symmetry.
That pic proves that even at less than his best, Schwarzenegger had better aesthetics, refinement, muscle maturity and structure, even when he was not what he had been. Also had a height advantage.

Mentzer was never as good as hyped IMO, and while good was always the 3-4th best BB in the world-both Schwarzenegger & Zane had better aesthetics & structure in that pic. Mentzer had virtually no detail in parts of his upper body-arms, chest, delts, etc. He was not clearly better than Schwarzenegger in 1980; if he hadn't been so carried away with himself, Mentzer might've accepted this and tried to get better instead of having a career-ending meltdown when he lost.

CFL, like Ferrigno.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2006, 06:59:53 AM »

Kenny loved to fight.  I told a story on the history about when me,Kenny, Manny Perry and Ron Depolito were walking across the street in frontof World Gym.  A car with 3 or 4 guys almost hit us.  Kenny ran at least a mile after these guys.  We jumped in the car and chased after him.  He said he was hoping they would hit a red light or stop sign. Hewas funny.

Keith, where did all these guys with character like Waller go? Seems like todays bodybuilders have no charisma.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2006, 07:25:49 AM »
Arnold's chest has monster thickness there.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
Big Arnold fan....but Mike had bigger arms that day

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2006, 07:05:41 PM »
That pic proves that even at less than his best, Schwarzenegger had better aesthetics, refinement, muscle maturity and structure, even when he was not what he had been. Also had a height advantage.

Mentzer was never as good as hyped IMO, and while good was always the 3-4th best BB in the world-both Schwarzenegger & Zane had better aesthetics & structure in that pic. Mentzer had virtually no detail in parts of his upper body-arms, chest, delts, etc. He was not clearly better than Schwarzenegger in 1980; if he hadn't been so carried away with himself, Mentzer might've accepted this and tried to get better instead of having a career-ending meltdown when he lost.

CFL, like Ferrigno.

Mentzer was bigger, harder, more conditioned and balanced than any other BB out there at the 1980 Mr O, as anyone with eyes can clarly see for himself from that comparison shot; Mike was so dry and in such shape that he almost looked to be bursting out of ghis skin! Arnold was all arms and no legs..what structure? He carried less mass than Mentzer on a taller frame but was yet a tad NARROWER than Mike! I'm not sure Arnie even merited a top 3 berth that day, and don't get me srated on Zane...excellent conditioning as usual and the defending champ but just too SMALL to contend with Mike. Arnold may own Mike in terms of career excellence but he shoulda stayed retired and off his Dbol instead of receiving a dubious gift from Uncle Joe.
Team Goodrum!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2006, 07:44:38 AM »
Mentzer was bigger, harder, more conditioned and balanced than any other BB out there at the 1980 Mr O, as anyone with eyes can clarly see for himself from that comparison shot

Only proves that you have a bias for his type of physique, because the pic does not show him to be quite as good. I never liked his physique, especially the extreme lack of refinement and detail in areas like arms and chest. Also lacked shoulder to waist differential relative to both Schwarzenegger and Zane as can be seen in that pic, in addition to his lack of refinement, detail and aesthetics.

He was never quite as good as Robinson, Padilla or Fox, let alone Szkalak who beat him.

I did like the way he stood up to Schwarzenegger though; it demolishes the whole theory that Schwarzenegger propogates endlessly that he was always able to psyche out his opponents, which was largely made-up BS.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2006, 12:59:35 AM »
Only proves that you have a bias for his type of physique, because the pic does not show him to be quite as good. I never liked his physique, especially the extreme lack of refinement and detail in areas like arms and chest. Also lacked shoulder to waist differential relative to both Schwarzenegger and Zane as can be seen in that pic, in addition to his lack of refinement, detail and aesthetics.

He was never quite as good as Robinson, Padilla or Fox, let alone Szkalak who beat him.

I did like the way he stood up to Schwarzenegger though; it demolishes the whole theory that Schwarzenegger propogates endlessly that he was always able to psyche out his opponents, which was largely made-up BS.

You never liked his physique? Who's the one being biased now? You mention shoulder to waist differential but conveniently neglect to consider sorely lacking aspects of both the Zane and Shwarzenegger physique, at least in that '80 show anyway. Like I said, Mentzer was the most balanced and complete physique that day, along with the vascular mass he carried. MM had a tight waist, bigger than Zane's, but that was to be expected with his torso looking TWICE as massive. I just don't get why folks like yourself continually overlook the obvious; it's a crime! Just give the man his due. Arms and pecs thicker than Arnie's, frame BROADER despite being far shorter than Arnie, and legs destroying Arnie's toothpicks...points that destroy your arguments I'm afraid. Frank looked like Christine Zane next to Mike; it was almost a complete joke! Padilla and Robinson were phenomenal too but not in the lineup that day. ;)
Team Goodrum!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2006, 05:43:46 AM »
Give the man his due when better BBs like Robinson, Padilla, Fox and Szkalak were also denied because of politics? You show no balance obsessing on just Mentzer.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2006, 01:29:43 AM »
Give the man his due when better BBs like Robinson, Padilla, Fox and Szkalak were also denied because of politics? You show no balance obsessing on just Mentzer.

My friend, I've already stated that all of the above BBs were awesome too (except that Kalman left the spoty way too early) but right here we are talking about Mentzer and the '80 Olympia. Isn't that what this thread's title says? I just find it hard to believe that folks can continue to deny the man his due when anyone with eyes and a brain can see he was by far the best BB that day.
Team Goodrum!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2006, 06:16:58 AM »
I just find it hard to believe that folks can continue to deny the man his due when anyone with eyes and a brain can see he was by far the best BB that day.

No obvious advantage over Arnold. That it was fixed is another story.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »
My friend, I've already stated that all of the above BBs were awesome too (except that Kalman left the spoty way too early) but right here we are talking about Mentzer and the '80 Olympia. Isn't that what this thread's title says? I just find it hard to believe that folks can continue to deny the man his due when anyone with eyes and a brain can see he was by far the best BB that day.

Silly. He was placed 5th. Blind as a bat and far the best?

Here's your boy getting owned again by zane

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2006, 08:06:42 PM »
You never liked his physique? Who's the one being biased now? You mention shoulder to waist differential but conveniently neglect to consider sorely lacking aspects of both the Zane and Shwarzenegger physique, at least in that '80 show anyway. Like I said, Mentzer was the most balanced and complete physique that day, along with the vascular mass he carried. MM had a tight waist, bigger than Zane's, but that was to be expected with his torso looking TWICE as massive. I just don't get why folks like yourself continually overlook the obvious; it's a crime! Just give the man his due. Arms and pecs thicker than Arnie's, frame BROADER despite being far shorter than Arnie, and legs destroying Arnie's toothpicks...points that destroy your arguments I'm afraid. Frank looked like Christine Zane next to Mike; it was almost a complete joke! Padilla and Robinson were phenomenal too but not in the lineup that day. ;)

Why does everyone think Mentzer is such a BB'ing martyr?

He is a pioneer of nothing but drivel.

He endorses Power Factor Training, by Sisco and Little, what a joke.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2006, 08:08:19 PM »
Here is your crybaby being destroyed by Zane's conditioning in 1979.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2006, 09:22:30 PM »
monster hardness

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2006, 09:25:59 PM »
Thats a good comparison pic, I love Menzter but Zane takes it there.
bodybuildersreality.com

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »
Mentzer was right about reducing volume and frequency; he is right about overtraining like his influence Arthur Jones, but he took it too far.  His dogmatic assumption that it's all about intensity and not volume IS WRONG. A certain amount of volume is still predominantly anerobic and necessary for hypertrophy. Muscles want work. Too much intensity leaves your nervous system taxed. Nobody, and I mean nobody, will develop a pro physique through exclusive heavy duty. It is initially good for strength gains, but it will leave you burned out or chronically adjusted to the routine depending on your efforts. Strength gains does not necessarily mean muscular gains. Mentzer himself did not build his physique through his protocols either.