Author Topic: Opinions of Evolution by Religious types  (Read 21161 times)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Opinions of Evolution by Religious types
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 09:43:23 AM »
I don't think the earth is as old as you do.  Yes, I think dinosaurs and humans co-existed.

I've just wet myself in a fit of uncontrollable laughter!

I think the Earth is 4-5 billion years old. How old do you think it is?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 09:45:24 AM »
I've just wet myself in a fit of uncontrollable laughter!

I think the Earth is 4-5 billion years old. How old do you think it is?

I'll wait while you get some paper towels.... ;D

I think it's 6000 - 10,000 years old.
R

Tyrone Power

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 01:26:05 PM »

Radio-metric dating, Geological dating,Cosmological dating all prove the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old.

What proof do you have it's 6,000 years old?

Tyrone Power

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »

i tried to come up whith a way evalution and the bibel could posebly have coexisted however i did not take in to consideration that acrording to the bibel deth did not exist befor adom and eve sind the first time, there for acroding to the bibel my idea could not work.

• There was no time in which life existed but didn't die.
  • Even if that occured that wouldn't explain how evolution contradicts Genesis
  • Work on your spelling

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »

Radio-metric dating, Geological dating,Cosmological dating all prove the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old.

What proof do you have it's 6,000 years old?

What proof do you have that Radio-Metric dating, Geological dating, and Cosmological dating are accurate?

What proof do you have of that?

• Work on your spelling

He's dyslexic. 
R

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »
Evolution reigns supreme.

Stella, you think what some asshole wrote down long ago is more accurate than proven scientific methods like Fossil evidence and Radio-carbon dating?
The question you just asked is equivalent to a child asking why the color blue is blue.

Open your mind.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 03:24:41 PM »
I can understand how people might believe we were "created" by a being above us because of our abilities above any other organism on Earth etc etc...

But...

It really boggles my mind how religious types are not persuaded by the theory of evolution.

How do you explain fossil evidence? How do you explain the past existence of dinosaurs?

I have spoken to a muslim on the matter, she explained it by saying fossils were placed there by God as a test of faith :-X (My reaction: yeah ok love keep thinking that :-[)

My auntie is a devout Christian but acknowledges evolution. (I see this as hypocrisy)

Where do you stand?

And you just had to use a muslim as an example? Tell ya what, if you can go 500 posts without posting about muslims then I'll mail ya 100 Euro.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »
Evolution reigns supreme.

Stella, you think what some asshole wrote down long ago is more accurate than proven scientific methods like Fossil evidence and Radio-carbon dating?
The question you just asked is equivalent to a child asking why the color blue is blue.

Open your mind.

I don't deny that fossils exist.  I just don't believe that we can accurately determine when they were formed. 

Camel J, I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of people have faith that certain scientific methods
of "dating" are accurate and correct, and a lot of people have faith that the bible is correct.

R

Tyrone Power

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
What proof do you have that Radio-Metric dating, Geological dating, and Cosmological dating are accurate?

Do you even know what Radiometric dating,Geological dating or Cosmological dating are?

If you don't then me explaining how they are proven would be a waste of time.

What proof do you have of that?

We can tell how old a specific individual was when it died. There have been no fossils found of for instance humans that were over 120 years old. Or Camels or Zebras that were over their average lifespan. If there was a time in which no life died. How long was that time? If it was dozens of years then we should find fossils of animals all living in the same spot all living far past their average lifespans.

We don't.

Tyrone Power

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 06:37:31 PM »
I don't deny that fossils exist.  I just don't believe that we can accurately determine when they were formed.

We can.

Camel J, I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of people have faith that certain scientific methods
of "dating" are accurate and correct, and a lot of people have faith that the bible is correct.

Faith-Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

If faith is defined as a belief that does not rest on proof or evidence then by definition faith can not exist in science. If a specific scientific method is proven then saying one has "faith" in it is an oxymoron.

I'm not aware of anyone who has "faith" radiometric dating is correct anymore than I know people who have "faith" 1+1=2 or what goes up must come down.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 10:13:17 PM »

Stella I don't think the view of an old earth (billions of years old) is necessarily inconsistent with creation of life 6000 to 10,000 years ago.  Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."  There is no indication whether "the beginning" and the six-day creation happened simultaneously.  It is possible the earth was created and that the six-day creation came much later. 

Unknown8471

• Getbig II
  • I will never be a memery
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 12:04:57 AM »

• Even if that occured that wouldn't explain how evolution contradicts Genesis
  • Work on your spelling

exactly. but my thery dosent work its that easy, i do belive there was a creation, however i belive that it was far far back at the vary beginig, i belive that god has a plan and like a crafsmen fine tuning his masterpice keeps adusting his work to fit his vistion.
unknown

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 01:06:58 AM »
The general view in the Christian community today seems to be that Evolution happened, but that it was the creation of God.

The beauty of Christianity, is how its Holy Scripture admittingly is man-made, except for the ten commandments. Thus, giving tremendous room for interpretation.

Currently, two things could be agreed on within Christianity:

Moses received the Ten Commandments from God.

Jesus was the son of God.

Everything else, such as creation theory and such, really aren't a big deal. Some people in the Bible lives to tremendous age, 900+ years old, Methuselah. This isn't a big deal either.

Most logical explanation is that either the guy lived for some 90+ years, or it was a long ass living family. I bet on a combination of the both.

Point is, the Bible isn't accurate. It isn't even holy, except from the Ten Commandments.

Why? Because it is written by man.

Christianity - it all boils down to the Jesus thing and if you chooses to believe in that idea.

When it comes to the Bible, a lot of people often forget that most of it was written by regular blokes like you and me, and randomly put together into a book.

Ten Commandments is the only exception. That's written by God.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 02:36:20 AM »
And you just had to use a muslim as an example? Tell ya what, if you can go 500 posts without posting about muslims then I'll mail ya 100 Euro.

Well I didn't make up the muslim example.

500 posts is more than what I have in total, how about 100 for £100? :D
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »
Stella I don't think the view of an old earth (billions of years old) is necessarily inconsistent with creation of life 6000 to 10,000 years ago.  Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."  There is no indication whether "the beginning" and the six-day creation happened simultaneously.  It is possible the earth was created and that the six-day creation came much later. 

Hmmm, you're right Beach Bum. 

I guess my statement should be that I believe "life" was created 6-10 thousand years ago.

R

Tyrone Power

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »
Ignoring my posts eh Stella?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »
Ignoring my posts eh Stella?

Sorry hon.

Do you even know what Radiometric dating,Geological dating or Cosmological dating are?

If you don't then me explaining how they are proven would be a waste of time.

In general, yes. 

Did you see my response to Beach Bum?  I accept the possibility that the earth is much older than I previously thought.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it IS possible.  Now as for "life," I still believe that 6-10 thousand years ago was when it began.

If there was a time in which no life died. How long was that time? If it was dozens of years then we should find fossils of animals all living in the same spot all living far past their average lifespans.

We don't.

Do you think it's possible that we just haven't come across that area as of yet w/a dig?

Tyrone, what kind of time frame do you think that fossils are formed?
R

Tyrone Power

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2006, 04:03:20 PM »

In general, yes. 

Really? Explain it in your own words then.

Did you see my response to Beach Bum?  I accept the possibility that the earth is much older than I previously thought.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it IS possible.  Now as for "life," I still believe that 6-10 thousand years ago was when it began.

Wrong. Radiometric dating proves the fossils we have of dinosaurs are MILLIONS of years old.

Do you think it's possible that we just haven't come across that area as of yet w/a dig?

I won't hold my breath. ::)

Tyrone, what kind of time frame do you think that fossils are formed?

Depends on the fossils.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2006, 05:04:07 PM »

Really? Explain it in your own words then.

What for?  I obviously could google them.  And you know how I feel about the magic word :)

Depends on the fossils.

How about dinosaurs and jellyfish
R

Tyrone Power

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
What for?  I obviously could google them.  And you know how I feel about the magic word :)

I didn't ask you to google them. I asked you to explain it in your own words so that I know you know what they are. If you googled them I would figure it out.

So explain what "radiometric dating" is in your own words. Explain how it works and how it's inaccurate.

How about dinosaurs and jellyfish

Then it depends on the environment in which the fossilization occurs. In the environments best fit for fossilization fossilization can occur within 10-15.

However the time it takes fossils to form isn't the problem with your view of the age of life. It's the dating done on these fossils which proves they are millions of years old.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 06:43:41 AM »
I didn't ask you to google them. I asked you to explain it in your own words so that I know you know what they are. If you googled them I would figure it out.

So explain what "radiometric dating" is in your own words. Explain how it works and how it's inaccurate.

Then it depends on the environment in which the fossilization occurs. In the environments best fit for fossilization fossilization can occur within 10-15.

However the time it takes fossils to form isn't the problem with your view of the age of life. It's the dating done on these fossils which proves they are millions of years old.

Johnny,

Whats to say they wont find flaws with radio metric dating just like they did with radio carbon dating?
X

Tyrone Power

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2006, 03:31:36 PM »
Johnny,

Whats to say they wont find flaws with radio metric dating just like they did with radio carbon dating?

My name isn't Johnny.

And..
1.Carbon dating is a form of radiometric dating.
2.No one found flaws with it. It works perfectly well when used correctly.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 03:38:44 PM »
My name isn't Johnny.

And..

Well i think we have all figured out Johnny isn't your real name.  However you used to post under the Johnny Apollo name in this forum.  You brilliant bastard!   ;)

Tyrone Power

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
Well i think we have all figured out Johnny isn't your real name.  However you used to post under the Johnny Apollo name in this forum.  You brilliant bastard!   ;)

Red Herring fallacy.

Respond to my post.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 03:44:05 PM »
Stop it!   lollololololol

Come on dude....  I know you think you are smart,  and you are.  But you are being about as obvious as a creationist speaker at a athiest convention.