Author Topic: New Zealand vs. Oz: which is better?  (Read 19369 times)

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
Re: New Zealand vs. Oz: which is better?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »
Remember this: NZ is a country of just 4m.

It's an island nation 3000km from civilisation Australia, it's nearest neighbour. There is little competition in the jobs market, in utilities & communication, in supermarkets etc. Wages are pretty low. Housing is expensive yet mainly old & very poorly insulated. Central heating is unheard of. It gets very cold & wet in winter, if your not living in the South Island, where it snows. It's what happens when a large farm decides to become a nation.

The largest city is Auckland (1.1m) which has world-class suburban sprawl with nothing but bungalows as far as the eye can see. Thus Public transport is a joke & a journey across town (i.e from the suburb you live in to the factory/industrial estate/academic institute you work in/shop at) is going to mean a good wait in traffic. There is a rudimentary train system that doesn't run to the airport yet NZ insists it is a first world country.

The clean, green image that NZ promotes is only possible because of the low no.of Kiwi's to begin with. And the amount of rain.

Nice countryside though. For the mean time, anyway. If you are a keen sailor, kayaker, surfer, tramper,  or mountaineer you could do worse. If you're looking for culture or intellectual stimulation, bring a book or get yourself an internet connection ( prepare to be gouged).

A related article: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/4230207/The-great-Kiwi-rip-off

NewZealand is inexpensive compared with the US or Europe.

I loved spending three weeks there.
Z

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »
Wherever there's more hapa's.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
My mum is from New Zealand and I grew up in Australia, but spent plenty of time in NZ as well.

"Better" is hard to define.

People are friendly in both places, but that has changed a lot in recent years in Oz, as more and more people are killing themselves to lead lifestyles they've been led to believe they have to have. Kiwi's are in general a lot more innocent than Aussies in their personalities.

Jobs are shit in NZ and things cost a lot more than you would expect. Prices have jumped a shitload in Oz in the past couple of years too, but the economy still seems to be ticking along. It will crash eventually - it has to - and Australia won't be prepared. A lot of people living in credit in my homeland. Housing is expensive in both places - much harder to find in Oz I think. There is an incredible housing shortage right now. Real estate agents hold auctions for rental properties in my hometown of Melbourne, that's how bad it is.

Yes - Australia has poisonous bitey things that are just waiting to get you. If they don't, the big bastard bitey things will get you instead.

New Zealand has some sheep and large blowflies.

Both countries are stunning. It's often a lot harder to get to see the nice bits in Oz because it's such a big country. New Zealand is a lot more compact.

Women are easy in both places - tend to be a little more princessy and privileged in Oz and uglier in NZ. Both countries have become East Asian melting pots in the last decade - lots of HAPA's in Oz and Asian, Euro, Polynesian mixes in NZ. If you're not happy to accept living with lots of Asian people, the major cities in either country are not for you. Night life is better in the Oz big cities from what Ive seen. International sporting events better in Oz.

I live in Germany now - which has it's own challenges. No killer animals, just lots of rules, regulations and very stiff people who can't laugh.

If I was to choose - I'd pick Australia if I was going to start from scratch and get a job and buy a home. If i was near the end of my working life I'd probably choose NZ.

Remember this: NZ is a country of just 4m.

It's an island nation 3000km from civilisation Australia, it's nearest neighbour. There is little competition in the jobs market, in utilities & communication, in supermarkets etc. Wages are pretty low. Housing is expensive yet mainly old & very poorly insulated. Central heating is unheard of. It gets very cold & wet in winter, if your not living in the South Island, where it snows. It's what happens when a large farm decides to become a nation.

The largest city is Auckland (1.1m) which has world-class suburban sprawl with nothing but bungalows as far as the eye can see. Thus Public transport is a joke & a journey across town (i.e from the suburb you live in to the factory/industrial estate/academic institute you work in/shop at) is going to mean a good wait in traffic. There is a rudimentary train system that doesn't run to the airport yet NZ insists it is a first world country.

The clean, green image that NZ promotes is only possible because of the low no.of Kiwi's to begin with. And the amount of rain.

Nice countryside though. For the mean time, anyway. If you are a keen sailor, kayaker, surfer, tramper,  or mountaineer you could do worse. If you're looking for culture or intellectual stimulation, bring a book or get yourself an internet connection ( prepare to be gouged).

A related article: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/4230207/The-great-Kiwi-rip-off

I agree. NZ is great if you want to kick back and lead a nice, peaceful life, but it's not the best place to kickstart your career or make money so much. Australia is a much bigger and stronger country/economy, so it's standard of living is higher.

I love Auckland (& NZ) to death, but while it's expensive as fcuk to live here, it's not on par with cities like Sydney or Melbourne. Though there are some places here that are stunning and kiwis are as friendly as they come.

Australia is like Superman - bigger, stronger & faster, but NZ is like Batman - cooler, with it's own charms :D And of course, it's got WillGrant, NZMM and myself, which tips the scale in our favour ;D

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 03:15:20 PM »
My mum is from New Zealand and I grew up in Australia, but spent plenty of time in NZ as well.

People are friendly in both places, but that has changed a lot in recent years in Oz, as more and more people are killing themselves to lead lifestyles they've been led to believe they have to have. Kiwi's are in general a lot more innocent than Aussies in their personalities.

Jobs are shit in NZ and things cost a lot more than you would expect. Prices have jumped a shitload in Oz in the past couple of years too, but the economy still seems to be ticking along. It will crash eventually - it has to - and Australia won't be prepared. A lot of people living in credit in my homeland. Housing is expensive in both places - much harder to find in Oz I think. There is an incredible housing shortage right now. Real estate agents hold auctions for rental properties in my hometown of Melbourne, that's how bad it is.

Yes - Australia has poisonous bitey things that are just waiting to get you. If they don't, the big bastard bitey things will get you instead.

Both countries are stunning. It's often a lot harder to get to see the nice bits in Oz because it's such a big country. New Zealand is a lot more compact.

Women are easy in both places - tend to be a little more princessy and privileged in Oz and uglier in NZ. Both countries have become East Asian melting pots in the last decade - lots of HAPA's in Oz and Asian, Euro, Polynesian mixes in NZ. If you're not happy to accept living with lots of Asian people, the major cities in either country are not for you. Night life is better in the Oz big cities from what Ive seen. International sporting events better in Oz.

I live in Germany now - which has it's own challenges. No killer animals, just lots of rules, regulations and very stiff people who can't laugh.

If I was to choose - I'd pick Australia if I was going to start from scratch and get a job and buy a home. If i was near the end of my working life I'd probably choose NZ.

no way. ive been to NZ many times and the clincher to me was when a born and bred NZ'er told me- a tthe airport, that he has travelled the world and believes that NZers are the rudest people he has met. I couldnt agree more.

The people are lazy, rude, arrogant, and have to be the ugliest in bred people on the planet- and im not beinmg racist about maoris- im talking literally everyone...i found it hard to find someone who didnt have a busted face or distorted body...or both.

NZ has more expensive living, the dollar is weak, the prices are relatively high, and forget getting anything over the internet..unless you're willing to pay.

its no good comparing NZ to Sydney, as Sydney is not australia..Sydney is on its own and is an anomally..much like auckland is.

NZ is ecologically beautiful, and the pace of life is not streesful, but opportunity is crap, and the population means that services are also crap due to lack of competition..and they know it..and arent backward in letting you know.

So to sum it up, Aus or NZ?- without a doubt Aus. hands down.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 05:21:58 PM »

~

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 05:44:12 PM »

no way. ive been to NZ many times and the clincher to me was when a born and bred NZ'er told me- a tthe airport, that he has travelled the world and believes that NZers are the rudest people he has met. I couldnt agree more.

The people are lazy, rude, arrogant, and have to be the ugliest in bred people on the planet- and im not beinmg racist about maoris- im talking literally everyone...i found it hard to find someone who didnt have a busted face or distorted body...or both.

NZ has more expensive living, the dollar is weak, the prices are relatively high, and forget getting anything over the internet..unless you're willing to pay.

its no good comparing NZ to Sydney, as Sydney is not australia..Sydney is on its own and is an anomally..much like auckland is.

NZ is ecologically beautiful, and the pace of life is not streesful, but opportunity is crap, and the population means that services are also crap due to lack of competition..and they know it..and arent backward in letting you know.

haha still melting you fat peice of shit  ;D

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
Gas is around $5us a gallon in New Zealand.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »

Yes - Sydney isn't Australia, but I've lived in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne as well in the Queensland tropics. I wasn't comparing just Sydney to just Auckland. Yes - NZ is expensive - so is Oz. Yes - opportunity is better in Oz and the standard of living is better if living means chasing money and having pretty things. Yes - I think Oz has better looking people - although there are some heart stopper mixes in NZ.

Kiwi's being unfriendly I'm calling a big 'bullshit' on. Kiwi's are good people. I've done lots of travelling and met lots of people from around the world - Kiwi's are right up there in terms of friendly. Fuck dude - if you think Kiwi's are unfriendly, come and visit me here in Germany. People will automatically distrust you if you're smiling because they don't think you should smile or be friendly unless you have a reason to.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 12:12:59 AM »
Kiwi's being unfriendly I'm calling a big 'bullshit' on. Kiwi's are good people. I've done lots of travelling and met lots of people from around the world - Kiwi's are right up there in terms of friendly.

QFT.  Never met a Kiwi I didn't like.  Maoris seem to wear a permascowl but I guess being tuffguy is their whole thing.

Western Australians, on the other hand, are generally unpleasant people.  It's not universal but the trend is undeniable.  Those I've met from the east seem a little better.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 12:23:44 AM »
QFT.  Never met a Kiwi I didn't like.  Maoris seem to wear a permascowl but I guess being tuffguy is their whole thing.

Western Australians, on the other hand, are generally unpleasant people.  It's not universal but the trend is undeniable.  Those I've met from the east seem a little better.

Head eastward...
I hate the State.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »
Head eastward...

Hard because I don't know anyone there, businesswise or personally.  :-\

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:54 AM »
Hard because I don't know anyone there, businesswise or personally.  :-\

Take a risk, be bold!
I hate the State.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »
I am an Australian but not an Aussie. There is a big difference. Mateship is important here. Thank goodness the women like foreign men. So no worries there. The locals seem friendly but you will find you don't have many close friends here unless you went to school here. Women can't be friends. That is an illusion. Down deep the Aussies dislike most foreigners and especially Asians and middle eastern wogs.

Australia is a fantastic place to visit or live in. Subtropical for most of the country and beaches galore. Scenery is great along the east coast and lots of places to visit. I take photos so visit special places and haven't come close to running out of places to visit. Sydney has over 20 great beaches that exceed anything NZ has to offer. That is partly why so many move to Sydney to live.

I am from BC and the Kiwis tell me I would love NZ because of the mountains and changing scenery. Yes, a great place to visit and look around. A bit too cool for me because it is always several degrees cooler there than in Australia. The climate in NZ resembles that of Tasmania than the mainland of Australia. There is a patch of subtropical climate on the north Island in NZ but it isn't much. Australia has thousands of miles of subtropical coastlines.

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 02:23:46 AM »
How do you measure standard of living?

Sounds like something people in cafes yammer about, in an attempt to claim USA is not #1.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »
How do you measure standard of living?

Sounds like something people in cafes yammer about, in an attempt to claim USA is not #1.
I agree.... 90% of aussies are broke but think they are rich because houses prices haven't corrected yet... they will.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 02:59:22 AM »
I agree.... 90% of aussies are broke but think they are rich because houses prices haven't corrected yet... they will.

When the Australian housing market is bottoming out, the gold and silver bull market will hopefully be hitting its manic phase. I will offload my metals to the paniced masses and buy a house outright with the proceeds. I must maintain the patience of a saint and the will power of a monk to pull this feat off.

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 03:08:50 AM »
NZ is a very good place for holiday but AUS is the place to live.

Brisbane is a very laid back place. People are friendly and easy going. Night life is dead unless you're a binge drinker. Most retirees would move up from Melbourne and Sydney to spend the remaining lives

Melbourne is a very nice and beautiful city for entertainment and night life. It's an in-between Brisbane and Sydney. The weather is shit where you can experience 4 seasons in one day

Sydney is a fast paced lifestyle. Biggest city among the 3 but also dirtier and people are rather rude. Personally I dislike Sydney

I am a mini beast

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 04:38:29 AM »
Russell Crowe says NZ.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 05:07:30 AM »

My condolences.

I'd rather sit in a pool of snakes, alligators and spiders than live in Germany again.  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:46 AM »
My condolences.

I'd rather sit in a pool of snakes, alligators and spiders than live in Germany again.  ;D

No way DK....southern Germany was great!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »
No way DK....southern Germany was great!

For 2 weeks holiday maybe, but not to live there.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
For 2 weeks holiday maybe, but not to live there.

When i was there in the 90's for almost 2 yrs, it was great.....but I know all of europe has changed... :-\