Author Topic: Rotator Cuff exercises to prevent shoulder injury  (Read 1690 times)

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
Rotator Cuff exercises to prevent shoulder injury
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:57:05 AM »
http://soni2006.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-strengthen-the-rotator-cuff-muscles-with-exercises
I have always been doing some exercise and I have been injury and pain free. I think they really help
Nothing worse then a shoulder problem.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Rotator Cuff exercises to prevent shoulder injury
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
My shoulders have don fairly well
Mr. AZ 2003

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
Left acromion has been bugging me lately. Never had any problems before other then an occasional tendinitis.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
49 years without a shoulder problem. And then a month ago...

Still need to diagnose it properly. Probably a rotator. Shit, I can hurt at times.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Have been doing behind head barbell shoulder presses with 200-220lb for quite some years, injury free. Idk about special exercises, but I've been doing a very precise, long warm-ups for my joints before every workout religiously..
 Seen quite some people fuck up their rotator cuffs with way less weight. Lack of proper warm-up was always the case, aside these who went on lots of drugs and got strong very fast, upped the weight and *snap*..

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »
49 years without a shoulder problem. And then a month ago...

Still need to diagnose it properly. Probably a rotator. Shit, I can hurt at times.

shoulders a tricky thing to self diagnose. a lot tendons and muscle in there. I'd go get it checked out so you know exactly what your dealing with and set it right. at our age maintenance becomes even more of a priority as looking good. I know I don't want aches and pains going into my 50's so I'm starting to take a very vested interest in my overall health and function.  

I've noticed in myself what I sometimes thought was a shoulder injury setting in was actually just too much stress on my biceps tendon.
b

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:08:52 AM »
Have been doing behind head barbell shoulder presses with 200-220lb for quite some years, injury free. Idk about special exercises, but I've been doing a very precise, long warm-ups for my joints before every workout religiously..
 Seen quite some people fuck up their rotator cuffs with way less weight. Lack of proper warm-up was always the case, aside these who went on lots of drugs and got strong very fast, upped the weight and *snap*..
You are lucky and have very robust shoulders and good flexibility in the shoulder region. i could never do this with heavy weight .

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:39 AM »
So important...I do cuff exercises before benching and never get shoulder issues anymore

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
You are lucky and have very robust shoulders and good flexibility in the shoulder region. i could never do this with heavy weight .

That is true, my flexibility has been always very good. One powerlifter commented some time ago that he's impressed how deep I can lower that weight.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
So important...I do cuff exercises before benching and never get shoulder issues anymore
good advice dave

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
Because of the values of strength coaches protecting their athletes from injury, some of the methods have FINALLY carried over to bodybuilding. In the past when ever I would bring up the value of preventative warmups (no, not just doing a few bar warm ups and calling it good) but actually taking 5-10min prior to actual training, I was once again, called full of shit.

Like I said, we on upper body days, after foam roll, we start with a full shoulder circuit. We change warmup drills every four weeks. This is this weeks..

T-spine on foam roller - 1 x :30 each side

side-lying internal/external rotation/arm circles w/leg on roller - 1 x 10

scap retraction w/lateral band in a plank position - 1 x 20

clock drills w/lateral band - 1 x 10 each side. Left arm 12,10,8,6 Right arm 12,2,4,6

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »

Donny you could if you did half reps like 99% of bodybuilders do with the press behind the neck. When I use to do them I would start my reps off my traps to full extension. I would use 145lbs for my sets. I saw a guy using 4-45lbs in the smith machine stopping when his upper arm was parallel to the ground. I hopped on the machine and it was easy to knock off reps not going all the way down. Now I too could use 225lbs. ::)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution -

http://www.irongarmx.net/Articles/7_minute_rotator_cuff_solution.pdf .

Still a good read on the subject.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Donny you could if you did half reps like 99% of bodybuilders do with the press behind the neck. When I use to do them I would start my reps off my traps to full extension. I would use 145lbs for my sets. I saw a guy using 4-45lbs in the smith machine stopping when his upper arm was parallel to the ground. I hopped on the machine and it was easy to knock off reps not going all the way down. Now I too could use 225lbs. ::)

I can assure - these are full reps, actually maybe even "too full" as my elbows goes way below my shoulder line (would not recoomend that for someone who isn't naturally flexible). I'm aware that not many people can lift that weight on behind the neck barbell press, but this is one of the exercises that I've always been strong at.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 04:56:45 AM »
shoulders a tricky thing to self diagnose. a lot tendons and muscle in there. I'd go get it checked out so you know exactly what your dealing with and set it right. at our age maintenance becomes even more of a priority as looking good. I know I don't want aches and pains going into my 50's so I'm starting to take a very vested interest in my overall health and function.  

I've noticed in myself what I sometimes thought was a shoulder injury setting in was actually just too much stress on my biceps tendon.

This is pretty sage. I have been thinking that it is likely some imbalance/tightness in the whole shoulder girdle area. In addition to anterior shoulder pain in an overhead position, I have had trap, rear-delt and biceps tightness. I have been addressing these "proximate" issues using soft-tissue work with some overall success in pain decrease. That said, as a "seasoned" gent, these things take time. Sadly, I still have the patience of a 20 year-old.