Author Topic: Wide Receiver v. Fast n Furious - for the morons blaming Bush  (Read 7868 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Wide Receiver v. Fast n Furious - for the morons blaming Bush
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
were the guns dropped at the crime scene eaach time/   Odd.

no, they were FnF guns involved in shootouts and murders. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
were the guns dropped at the crime scene eaach time/   Odd.

Anyone remember how right wingers couldn't buy enough guns and ammo when Obama first got in office

isn't the right wing CT on this thing supposedly that Obama did this on purpose so that they guns would be used in crimes and then he could somehow point to that as a reason to take away everyones gun in the US?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
Anyone remember how right wingers couldn't buy enough guns and ammo when Obama first got in office

isn't the right wing CT on this thing supposedly that Obama did this on purpose so that they guns would be used in crimes and then he could somehow point to that as a reason to take away everyones gun in the US?

That was exactly the intent.   To create a case for the need of AWB2 

and guess what?  Despite the tens of millions of new gun purchases by legal americans - there has been no surge in crime other than in detroit, chicago and other lawless areas of this country where the peeps reside

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
pretty amazing that obama was able to track so many guns to so many places -

yet we don't have a clue where the bush 450 guns went.  Odd also.

Yeah. They were tracked or found next to all those bodies by the MEXICAN GOVERNMENT.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »
That was exactly the intent.   To create a case for the need of AWB2 

and guess what?  Despite the tens of millions of new gun purchases by legal americans - there has been no surge in crime other than in detroit, chicago and other lawless areas of this country where the peeps reside

and how exactly do you KNOW this was the intent

did one of the voices in your head tell your or was it Glen Beck or Levine etc..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Yeah. They were tracked or found next to all those bodies by the MEXICAN GOVERNMENT.

oh fuck all that shit.   shady as fuck there.  

Poor ass country.... they love their guns... lawuless... and they all choose to abandon assault rifles at scenes of crime.

oh i'm calling bullshit.  33, i can't believe you fall for that smokescreen.  Probably the mex govt mad that obama's DOJ didn't leak them the intel like Bush's did.

This entire investigation is based upon the good word of the mex govt - jilted because we didn't invovle them on a big gun sting over their border.

Oh jeebus, what a bunch of crap.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
and how exactly do you KNOW this was the intent

did one of the voices in your head tell your or was it Glen Beck or Levine etc..

No, the email from the ATF agent who was asking for the stats to get the long form reporting requirement proves it.   Again - you know next to nothing about FnF , just like 180, and expose your ignorance more w every post.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
No, the email from the ATF agent who was asking for the stats to get the long form reporting requirement proves it.   Again - you know next to nothing about FnF , just like 180, and expose your ignorance more w every post.  

great job - now just post a copy of that email so I can actually understand how that proves your point

Colbert does has done a much better job of explaining it so far

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/415620/june-20-2012/unraveling-the--fast---furious--scandal

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »
oh fuck all that shit.   shady as fuck there.  

Poor ass country.... they love their guns... lawuless... and they all choose to abandon assault rifles at scenes of crime.

oh i'm calling bullshit.  33, i can't believe you fall for that smokescreen.  Probably the mex govt mad that obama's DOJ didn't leak them the intel like Bush's did.

This entire investigation is based upon the good word of the mex govt - jilted because we didn't invovle them on a big gun sting over their border.

Oh jeebus, what a bunch of crap.

See!   This is what I mean - you get destroyed on all fronts, than then you resort to an unproven CT just to bash bush and kneepad obama. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
great job - now just post a copy of that email so I can actually understand how that proves your point

Colbert does has done a much better job of explaining it so far

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/415620/june-20-2012/unraveling-the--fast---furious--scandal

Right - a comedian who loves obama.   Got it. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Documents: ATF used "Fast and Furious" to make the case for gun regulations
By Sharyl Attkisson Topics News ,Law and Order . (Credit: CBS)

Documents obtained by CBS News show that the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) discussed using their covert operation "Fast and Furious" to argue for controversial new rules about gun sales.

In Fast and Furious, ATF secretly encouraged gun dealers to sell to suspected traffickers for Mexican drug cartels to go after the "big fish." But ATF whistleblowers told CBS News and Congress it was a dangerous practice called "gunwalking," and it put thousands of weapons on the street. Many were used in violent crimes in Mexico. Two were found at the murder scene of a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

ATF officials didn't intend to publicly disclose their own role in letting Mexican cartels obtain the weapons, but emails show they discussed using the sales, including sales encouraged by ATF, to justify a new gun regulation called "Demand Letter 3". That would require some U.S. gun shops to report the sale of multiple rifles or "long guns." Demand Letter 3 was so named because it would be the third ATF program demanding gun dealers report tracing information.

On July 14, 2010 after ATF headquarters in Washington D.C. received an update on Fast and Furious, ATF Field Ops Assistant Director Mark Chait emailed Bill Newell, ATF's Phoenix Special Agent in Charge of Fast and Furious:

"Bill - can you see if these guns were all purchased from the same (licensed gun dealer) and at one time. We are looking at anecdotal cases to support a demand letter on long gun multiple sales. Thanks."

On Jan. 4, 2011, as ATF prepared a press conference to announce arrests in Fast and Furious, Newell saw it as "(A)nother time to address Multiple Sale on Long Guns issue." And a day after the press conference, Chait emailed Newell: "Bill--well done yesterday... (I)n light of our request for Demand letter 3, this case could be a strong supporting factor if we can determine how many multiple sales of long guns occurred during the course of this case."

This revelation angers gun rights advocates. Larry Keane, a spokesman for National Shooting Sports Foundation, a gun industry trade group, calls the discussion of Fast and Furious to argue for Demand Letter 3 "disappointing and ironic." Keane says it's "deeply troubling" if sales made by gun dealers "voluntarily cooperating with ATF's flawed 'Operation Fast & Furious' were going to be used by some individuals within ATF to justify imposing a multiple sales reporting requirement for rifles."

The Gun Dealers' Quandary

Several gun dealers who cooperated with ATF told CBS News and Congressional investigators they only went through with suspicious sales because ATF asked them to.

Sometimes it was against the gun dealer's own best judgment.

Read the email

In April, 2010 a licensed gun dealer cooperating with ATF was increasingly concerned about selling so many guns. "We just want to make sure we are cooperating with ATF and that we are not viewed as selling to the bad guys," writes the gun dealer to ATF Phoenix officials, "(W)e were hoping to put together something like a letter of understanding to alleviate concerns of some type of recourse against us down the road for selling these items."

Read the email

ATF's group supervisor on Fast and Furious David Voth assures the gun dealer there's nothing to worry about. "We (ATF) are continually monitoring these suspects using a variety of investigative techniques which I cannot go into detail."

Two months later, the same gun dealer grew more agitated.

"I wanted to make sure that none of the firearms that were sold per our conversation with you and various ATF agents could or would ever end up south of the border or in the hands of the bad guys. I guess I am looking for a bit of reassurance that the guns are not getting south or in the wrong hands...I want to help ATF with its investigation but not at the risk of agents (sic) safety because I have some very close friends that are US Border Patrol agents in southern AZ as well as my concern for all the agents (sic) safety that protect our country."

"It's like ATF created or added to the problem so they could be the solution to it and pat themselves on the back," says one law enforcement source familiar with the facts. "It's a circular way of thinking."

The Justice Department and ATF declined to comment. ATF officials mentioned in this report did not respond to requests from CBS News to speak with them.

The "Demand Letter 3" Debate

The two sides in the gun debate have long clashed over whether gun dealers should have to report multiple rifle sales. On one side, ATF officials argue that a large number of semi-automatic, high-caliber rifles from the U.S. are being used by violent cartels in Mexico. They believe more reporting requirements would help ATF crack down. On the other side, gun rights advocates say that's unconstitutional, and would not make a difference in Mexican cartel crimes.

Two earlier Demand Letters were initiated in 2000 and affected a relatively small number of gun shops. Demand Letter 3 was to be much more sweeping, affecting 8,500 firearms dealers in four southwest border states: Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. ATF chose those states because they "have a significant number of crime guns traced back to them from Mexico." The reporting requirements were to apply if a gun dealer sells two or more long guns to a single person within five business days, and only if the guns are semi-automatic, greater than .22 caliber and can be fitted with a detachable magazine.

On April 25, 2011, ATF announced plans to implement Demand Letter 3. The National Shooting Sports Foundation is suing the ATF to stop the new rules. It calls the regulation an illegal attempt to enforce a law Congress never passed. ATF counters that it has reasonably targeted guns used most often to "commit violent crimes in Mexico, especially by drug gangs."

Reaction

Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, is investigating Fast and Furious, as well as the alleged use of the case to advance gun regulations. "There's plenty of evidence showing that this administration planned to use the tragedies of Fast and Furious as rationale to further their goals of a long gun reporting requirement. But, we've learned from our investigation that reporting multiple long gun sales would do nothing to stop the flow of firearms to known straw purchasers because many Federal Firearms Dealers are already voluntarily reporting suspicious transactions. It's pretty clear that the problem isn't lack of burdensome reporting requirements."

On July 12, 2011, Sen. Grassley and Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., wrote Attorney General Eric Holder, whose Justice Department oversees ATF. They asked Holder whether officials in his agency discussed how "Fast and Furious could be used to justify additional regulatory authorities." So far, they have not received a response. CBS News asked the Justice Department for comment and context on ATF emails about Fast and Furious and Demand Letter 3, but officials declined to speak with us.

"In light of the evidence, the Justice Department's refusal to answer questions about the role Operation Fast and Furious was supposed to play in advancing new firearms regulations is simply unacceptable," Rep. Issa told CBS News.

Sharyl Attkisson

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-57338546-10391695/documents-atf-used-fast-and-furious-to-make-the-case-for-gun-regulations

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
My evidence would be and is circumstancial. On the vote for contempt, it was divided exactly down party lines. All Democrates voting no, all Republicans voting yes. Historically, a party rarely, if ever goes after it's own party members, however it is routine for one party to attack or seek investigations, sanctions, impeachment on the other party... sooooo

Based on what has transpired overe the last 50 yrs, I think a reasonable assumption would be that Issa would not be so tenacious had McCain won and was in office and appointed a Republican AG

You feel differently? 

I absolutely feel differently. The fact that the vote went directly down party lines in an election year proves nothing except that politicians circle the wagons for their party on occasion. Democrats in Congress are an endangered species. Who wants to be the odd man out in the event that Obama ends up being re-elected? Corey Booker is the brightest, most articulate and most competent politician that the Democratic party has to offer these days. He was excommunicated by the Obama administration for making a harmless comment in support of capitalism.

The easy answer here is that if Holder had simply complied with Issa's requests, this whole saga would be moot. The fact that he has been caught lying several times, purposely withheld documents, has failed to comply with numerous requests for information and now has to have the Prez bail him out with an incomprehensible assertion of executive privilege all point to the obvious= Holder's attempts to cover up what happened and stonewall Congress have turned what is allegedly a non-story into a huge mess.

Whatever the case might be-- hundreds of people are dead. A US border agent is dead. The dept of justice fucked up beyond belief. Even if your argument about partisanship is true, it is irrelevant. Someone has to answer for this.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
333 - you finally posted something worthwhile

Since we have an email of one agent musing that he can use this to justify a demand letter on long gun multiple sales

did they ever issue such a letter ?

I assume you're aware that you haven't in any way proven that the programs intent was to justify gun regulations.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
333 - you finally posted something worthwhile

Since we have an email of one agent musing that he can use this to justify a demand letter on long gun multiple sales

did they ever issue such a letter ?

They tried to but it never went through since there was a massive outcry from gun groups at the time.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
They tried to but it never went through since there was a massive outcry from gun groups at the time.   

how did they try?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »
how did they try?

i think the dems entered some anti-gun legislation or something like that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
how did they try?

Do some research on this. 

I'm not going to do it for you. 

They issued a letter saying they were going to do it, but then the uproar from gun groups and certain congressmen got them to back down. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
Do some research on this. 

I'm not going to do it for you. 

They issued a letter saying they were going to do it, but then the uproar from gun groups and certain congressmen got them to back down. 

oh brother, give me a break on the bellyaching

they could have just as easily issued this letter (and probably did many other times before) without needing F&F

The idea that the "intent" of the program was to produce this letter is nonsense and completely unfounded (especially considering the program was created before Obam was POTUS so kind of hard to figure out how they got Bush to go along with their secret plan to restrict gun rights)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
I hate the strategy.  But - i fault the 2006 DOJ and the 2009 DOJ for it.

Trying to excuse one of them, blaming batteries, etc - but clobbering the program 3 years later (run by the same agent!) Is just plain political buffoonery.
Uh, well for one, its not the same program, dingus.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
I absolutely feel differently. The fact that the vote went directly down party lines in an election year proves nothing except that politicians circle the wagons for their party on occasion. Democrats in Congress are an endangered species. Who wants to be the odd man out in the event that Obama ends up being re-elected? Corey Booker is the brightest, most articulate and most competent politician that the Democratic party has to offer these days. He was excommunicated by the Obama administration for making a harmless comment in support of capitalism.

The easy answer here is that if Holder had simply complied with Issa's requests, this whole saga would be moot. The fact that he has been caught lying several times, purposely withheld documents, has failed to comply with numerous requests for information and now has to have the Prez bail him out with an incomprehensible assertion of executive privilege all point to the obvious= Holder's attempts to cover up what happened and stonewall Congress have turned what is allegedly a non-story into a huge mess.

Whatever the case might be-- hundreds of people are dead. A US border agent is dead. The dept of justice fucked up beyond belief. Even if your argument about partisanship is true, it is irrelevant. Someone has to answer for this.

I agree. I guess my statement is that in general, those who are after Holder, probably don't give a rats ass about the border agent, but see it as an opportunity to give the other a black eye. Regardless of motive, I agree someone needs to be held accountable

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Kati

Watch and learn. 

Blaming Bush is utterly absurd. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
The 5 Biggest Differences Between Operation Fast and Furious and Operation Wide Receiver
The Blaze ^ | 26 June, 2012 | Jason Howerton
Posted on June 26, 2012 10:14:10 PM EDT by marktwain

Ever since the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted in favor of holding Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt last week, the Left has been conducting a public relations push to downplay operation “Fast and Furious” and convince Americans that the failed gunrunning initiative was actually started under former President George W. Bush under the name “Wide Receiver.”

The insinuation is that Fast and Furious is somehow a continuation of the Bush-era operation. The only problem with that theory is that it’s not true.

Even White House Press Secretary Jay Carney last week attempted to shift the blame from Holder and the Obama administration and onto the Bush administration.

“Everything has been provided to — congressional investigators and that is really the issue, isn’t it? It is how did this operation come about. It originated in a field office during the previous administration. It was ended under this administration by this attorney general,” Carney said during a presser last week.

But even the laziest of fact-checks would prove his assertion wrong.

In no way does that excuse the Bush administration from allowing a poorly-planned operation to proceed. However, the differences between the two operations are stark and should be considered.

(1) First and foremost, operation Wide Receiver did not result in the death of a U.S. Border Patrol agent or an Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer. Fast and Furious did. The guns that ultimately killed Border Patrol agent Brian Terry and ICE officer Jamie Zapata were traced back to straw purchasers related to Fast and Furious. Zapata’s family filed a wrongful death suit against the U.S. Justice Department last week.

Further, officials have confirmed that the guns from Fast and Furious have already killed hundreds of Mexican citizens and Holder has said on the record that they will likely kill many more. The total number of confirmed deaths so far from Wide Receiver: Zero.

(2) Second, Wide Receiver, though flawed, was more of a gun-tracing operation than a gun-walking program. Gun-tracing involves putting specific safeguards in place to track firearms, such as RFID chips perhaps with video or aerial surveillance. Gun-walking is what happened in Fast and Furious, where ATF agents sold thousands of guns without a reliable way to recover them, apparently just hoping for the best.

Some of the guns from Wide Receiver were implanted with RFID chips and were actively tracked electronically. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in Phoenix also implemented aerial surveillance tactics in an attempt to follow the weapons.

However, problems reportedly arose due to poorly implanted RFID chips which were forced into the guns, bending the antennas and decreasing their effectiveness. Cartels and straw purchasers also eventually came up with creative ways to shake tracking maneuvers and overhead surveillance, such as driving in loops for hours until surveillance planes had to refuel.

Those in charge of Fast and Furious took no similar steps to strengthen their chances of recovering walked guns other than recording the serial numbers before watching them disappear in the hands of Mexican drug cartels.

In fact, ATF agents involved in Fast and Furious have previously testified that they were ordered to stand down and not track the weapons even when interdiction was possible and instead “took notes” and let the guns walk across the Mexico border. Watch some of ATF whistleblower John Dodson’s Congressional testimony:

(3) Third, one must take into account the size and scope of the operations.

Speaking to members of the Senate Judiciary Committee earlier this month, Holder said that “three hundred guns” were allowed to “walk” (although note the difference between “tracing” and “walking” above) in Wide Receiver. While there is no evidence that suggests otherwise, the figure is dwarfed by the approximately 2,000 firearms that walked in Fast and Furious. Roughly 1,400 guns were lost and about 700 have been recovered in Mexico and at crime scenes like the sites of Terry and Zapata’s murders.

(4) Perhaps the most convincing piece of evidence proving the two operations are separate from each other is the fact that Wide Receiver was shut down in 2007 shortly after it was clear the program was a failure. This was before Obama was even in office and nearly two years before Fast and Furious began.

Fast and Furious wasn’t shut down until late 2010 after the deaths of hundreds of Mexicans, a border agent and an ICE officer.

(5) Finally, unlike Fast and Furious, officials involved in Wide Receiver were reportedly in close contact with Mexican authorities during the operation, though how involved Mexican officials were is not entirely known.

What is known is that Mexican authorities were kept completely in the dark during Fast and Furious, according to the Mexican ambassador to the U.S. Mexico. He announced on June 1, 2012, that Mexico would be launching its own probe into Fast and Furious.

It should be perfectly clear that both the Bush and Obama administration conducted two separate, flawed operations. One, however, was a much deadlier and larger operation.

If there is evidence of wrongdoing, or false testimony related to operation Wide Receiver, those responsible should be held accountable. But the argument that Fast and Furious is all about “politics” and should just be swept under the rug because the previous administration also carried out a similar program is irresponsible.

A contempt resolution will be considered by the full House of Representatives this week. If lawmakers decide to hold the attorney general in contempt, it will be a first in U.S. history for a sitting attorney general.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-5-biggest-differences-between-operation-fast-and-furious-and-operation-wide-receiver

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
Uh, well for one, its not the same program, dingus.

Yes, they gave it a new name, and the new president let the SAME GUY lose guns again.

I mean, I can call it "Operation date rape" and drug girls all night, and the cops can let me off on it.

If I go out 2 weeks later and call it "Operation peace on earth" and put the same drugs in drinks at the same bar, it's the same damn operation - just under a different name.  And the police who let me walk the first time should be ashamed of it. 

Bush is the cop that let this man get away with it last time, and Obama is the man who let them get away with it this time.