Author Topic: Train too intense doesn't result in muscle growth?  (Read 5119 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Train too intense doesn't result in muscle growth?
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »
Will we ever figure this out?

Are you listening, Basile?

http://ergo-log.com/too-intense-strength-training-doesn-t-result-in-muscle-growth.html

"The cells in the men's leg muscles only started to grow when the men had become used to the training stimuli. Hypertrophy in the muscle tissue only started to occur once the men did not have sore muscles after working out, and once their creatine kinase levels were not spiralling high.

Of course strength training stimulates muscle growth, the Brazilians concluded. But not if the stimulus is too intense."

bike nut

• Getbig V
  • Desperation is a stinky cologne
Re: Train too intense doesn't result in muscle growth?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:05 PM »

http://ergo-log.com/too-intense-strength-training-doesn-t-result-in-muscle-growth.html

"The cells in the men's leg muscles only started to grow when the men had become used to the training stimuli. Hypertrophy in the muscle tissue only started to occur once the men did not have sore muscles after working out, and once their creatine kinase levels were not spiralling high.

Of course strength training stimulates muscle growth, the Brazilians concluded. But not if the stimulus is too intense."

"Stimulate, don't annihilate" - Lee Haney

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
Would Tom Platz and Ronnie Coleman be considered people who annihilated their legs?

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Would Tom Platz and Ronnie Coleman be considered people who annihilated their legs?

They'd fall under the "boatload of drugs" category.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »
I haven't had consistent soreness in any body part throughout the duration of my "lifting career."

I made the most gains summer of my sophomore year of college, when I finally started lifting less and eating more.  Would get massive soreness and pumps in most body parts, every time. Sadly that period of life only lasted about three months.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
This is why he still looks good.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:47:07 PM »
No this article was more about adaptation to a particular stress  not so much about the intensity that was applied to the muscle.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
bingo!  Progressive overload.  No need to annihilate yourself or take sets to failure.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
Tell dorian

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 12:14:02 AM »
Mike Mentzer stated numerous times that he believed soreness was not indicative of growth and I have to say I agree.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »
weird study.

"muscle fibres in the vastus lateralis only showed growth in week 10. "

so no growth until the last week?

"The men reported more muscle soreness in week 1 than in weeks 3 and 10"

more soreness first week in training, big surprise there

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 01:35:17 AM »
the only time I ever got sore was the first time doing an exercise

I never ever got sore after that first adaptive training session no matter how hard I trained and I'm talking forced reps plus negatives

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 01:37:22 AM »

In other words, as we always knew, it is useless to train legs twice a week IF you don't use gear. This is proved time after time by many "natural" bodybuilders, who has copy some juiced pro lifters training program and try to keep up with it training twice to four times a day..

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
Too much muscle damage is detrimental to hypertrophy. The body had to repair the damage THEN compensate. The compensation part is where the muscle grow.
This is why i think higher frequency is better, you never get as sore as the once per week bro split but you grow better even at the same total volume, spreading it out is much better.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 01:42:09 AM »
In other words, as we always knew, it is useless to train legs twice a week IF you don't use gear. This is proved time after time by many "natural" bodybuilders, who has copy some juiced pro lifters training program and try to keep up with it training twice to four times a day..

You can train the same body part 2-3 times a week even if natural. Actually all the studies show that higher frequency = more hypertrophy.
Instead of doing 12 sets for chest on monday you can do 4 on mon/wed/fri. But ofc enhanced guys would be able to 8 sets 3 times a week for example.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 01:56:09 AM »

It also could mean they weren't recovering adequately. I would say most people can't do hard leg workouts twice a week with full recovery.

Guys like Mentzer were advocating up to 3-4 weeks of rest. Not that I agree with it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 01:59:24 AM »
You can train the same body part 2-3 times a week even if natural. Actually all the studies show that higher frequency = more hypertrophy.
Instead of doing 12 sets for chest on monday you can do 4 on mon/wed/fri. But ofc enhanced guys would be able to 8 sets 3 times a week for example.

they all trained each muscle twice a week in the 70s and 80s and they all had much prettier physiques than these turds nowadays

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 02:02:31 AM »
they all trained each muscle twice a week in the 70s and 80s and they all had much prettier physiques than these turds nowadays

Apples and insulin and gh and oranges.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 02:07:31 AM »

He hasn't posted in over a year.  He may be dead.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 02:19:57 AM »
Apples and insulin and gh and oranges.

:D ;D

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:20 AM »

Due to workload I had to change to training JUST Saturday and Sundays. So I do 15-20 sets a bodypart and go to failure.

Made more gains between 40 and 47 than in the entire 30 years beforehand when following usual bodybuilding routines. If you train hard enough to make yourself sore you have to wait 2-3 days after the soreness has gone to train again.

IF you do drugs that aid recovery (I don't) then maybe you can train every 5 days.

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »
He hasn't posted in over a year.  He may be dead.

Oh Lord, what a glorious thought

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »
is the mixture of many factors.....and Training is just one....eating, sleeping, Age, Training-Level......supplements, Kind of Job you are working ? are you single or Family father, your income....

but when i see People who claim "iīm so fucking intense..." in there "real" workouts.......i donīt know what they are taking about. ???

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
Nothing beats Mike Mentzer's heavyduty.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »
Due to workload I had to change to training JUST Saturday and Sundays. So I do 15-20 sets a bodypart and go to failure.

Made more gains between 40 and 47 than in the entire 30 years beforehand when following usual bodybuilding routines. If you train hard enough to make yourself sore you have to wait 2-3 days after the soreness has gone to train again.

IF you do drugs that aid recovery (I don't) then maybe you can train every 5 days.

And this is a fact. Most of the people cannot realize that you gain more while training less, just because you give your body enough time to recover. It is too frightening to try, because IF IT DOESN'T WORK, YOU CAN LOSS GRAMS OF MUSCLE MASS  ;D