Author Topic: Do interstitial rotator cuff tears heal on their own or is surgery needed?  (Read 2798 times)

Jimmy L

• Getbig II
I got an MRI taken because of shoulder pain when I do certain motions and it said that I have an interstitial tear of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus at the musculo-tendinous junction. It said that the tendons are intact and there is no full thickness tear of any of the rotator cuff tendons.

So my question is...do interstitial rotator cuff tears heal on their own or is surgery needed? If surgery is not needed would PT help (ultrasound, massage, heat, ice, strengthening, etc.)? Or is surgery the only way this will heal?

Will this be a permanent injury and the interstitial rotator cuff tears will NEVER heal?

I have had this pain for about 6 weeks now. My doctor won't be able to go over the results with me until he gets back from vacation.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Do interstitial rotator cuff tears heal on their own or is surgery needed?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:41:57 AM »
It depends on the injury, they can a only reattach something if it rips off like a tendon comming of a bone but a muscle tear with in its self is another story.
That is why they could not sort out Yates s Bicep
Rotor cuff injuries DO heal but they take a long time and most of what you mentioned above will help
But once a RC has been hurt it will need special care in the future.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Do interstitial rotator cuff tears heal on their own or is surgery needed?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:49 PM »
If you had all that medical work done, surely someone there would've also rendered an experienced view as to what will happen? They'd know much better than we would.

Also get a second opinion from a different doctor if you're motivated to do so.

The only question's whether you can wait and let it heal or whether it will require treatment. They should be able to clue you in and/or give you probabilities then you can wait and see or go ahead with alternatives.