Author Topic: Using isometrics for a strength bump  (Read 3420 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Using isometrics for a strength bump
« on: August 25, 2020, 07:55:18 AM »
This technique is as old as the hills but it works.

I've had success with it.  It's only for improving strength not physique and is not a substitute for doing your regular routine.

I do it on non-workout days.  Since I train at home it's not a problem to fit it in. 

I'm natty so I can't comment on how it would work with drugs.  Probably would not be a good idea as your muscles can overpower your ligaments and tendons when using drugs.  Use common sense.

This is simple to do if you have the proper equipment (power rack).  The only time consuming thing is loading and unloading the bar if you have to do that. 

The example exercise to increase strength is the incline press.  You can adapt it to most other exercises.  Most likely you'll only want to do for big compound exercises.  Use common sense.

If your rack isn't fastened down you'll need to set a bar on the safety bars at the right height for your first set and load up the bar and put towards the rear of the rack so the rack can't move.  I put about 650 lbs on the bar so it doesn't move.  Your strength at almost full extension is great.

For incline press start with your pins at the bottom position of the press.  Go up each isometric by 2 holes or so.  You need to do one isometric every couple holes until almost full extension.  Isometrics increase strength in a range of approx. 15% of the position so you need to do a series at different heights.

Slide your bench into position in the rack.  Take another empty bar and rest it on the safety bars, under the pins which are one hole higher.  You should be at the bottom position of the press.  You're going to press the empty bar into the pins for 6 seconds once.  For the first week don't go full power.  Go like 50% so you don't hurt yourself.

Do not hold your breath during the isometric contraction. Breathe as normally as possible so your blood pressure does not spike.

After the first week go harder until you feel ok going all out for 6 seconds.  Don't hurt yourself with too much intensity!  You can do an iso much more intensely than a normal concentric rep.

After you become accustomed to the isometric you can go full power which is when you will get the maximum benefit.

Rest a minute and then for your second rep move the pins higher by 2 holes and do another iso for 6 seconds.  Rest.  Move pins 2 holes higher and press for 6 seconds.  Rest.  Move pins higher by 2 holes.  You'll probably get 3-4 isos until your almost at full extension.  Done.

That's all you need to do for that particular exercise.  If you want to also improve for example the overhead press, then also do a series of isometric overhead presses at 3-4 positions. 

You should feel a strength increase in the exercise you did the isos for.  It's very specific so match the isometric movement closely to the exercise you want to improve.

IroNat

• Getbig V
Re: Using isometrics for a strength bump
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
Here's a video where the guy does what I'm doing more or less.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
Hoffman use to push it a lot back in the day. He claimed it was the reason his lifters made such rapid progress when it was Dianabol and not isometrics.

Bruce Lee was a fan of isometrics. So was Charles Atlas.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »
I've been doing isometrics at the end of my workouts recently.  It is a tool in a full toolbox of techniques.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 02:32:43 PM »
I've been doing isometrics at the end of my workouts recently.  It is a tool in a full toolbox of techniques.

People often have unrealistic expectations of it but it does work.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 03:35:11 AM »
People often have unrealistic expectations of it but it does work.
Like every other technique, someone tries to sell it as a whole system.