Author Topic: Waitress who accused customer of writing racial slur on tip line, being sued  (Read 12750 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
So, what has Obama said about the issue?

This matter deserves of presidential input!

Red Lobster Summit of Peace.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Tipping in a restaurant IS mandatory.

I don't think "mandatory" means what you think it means.

Prices are adjusted downwards bc the restaurant doesnt pay their waitstaff much

Why is any of that my concern? I don't care whether prices are adjusted upwards or downwards, or whether the restaurant pays the waitstaff much or little. I shouldn't have to. I certainly don't for any other business, but for restaurants it's somehow special.

, and the difference is made up by the customers. If nobody tipped, the cost of paying their waitstaff would go up and eventually the cost of a meal would go up around 15-20%.

OK, and? I mean, if it's mandatory that I pay a tip - often to the tune of 15% - it's even money for me. And, arguably, I'll come out ahead, since those who currently "steal" by not paying the "mandatory" tip will be forced to pay.

Of course, the big thing is that the waiters don't actually want to migrate away from tips to a salary they can live on, because they believe that they can make more money by getting tips (and it's probably true) than they could by getting salary.

Tipping is certainly not optional.... if you don't feel like leaving a tip, don't go out to eat

I'm pretty sure that having a blank space where I can write the amount that I want to leave as a tip is the definition of "optional."

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
so what is your recourse if the service is shit

Tipping like 5% is way more insulting.

avxo, no need to do a multi-quote breakdown of my post.  Save your pedantry for someone else

The advantage of the system as it stands is that you have the ability to scale the tip up or down according to service.  If it were a flat 15%, well, then you can't do anything about bad service.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Tipping in a restaurant IS mandatory.  Prices are adjusted downwards bc the restaurant doesnt pay their waitstaff much, and the difference is made up by the customers.  If nobody tipped, the cost of paying their waitstaff would go up and eventually the cost of a meal would go up around 15-20%.

Tipping is certainly not optional.... if you don't feel like leaving a tip, don't go out to eat

Yeah...no.... tipping is optional... UNLESS, it is clearly stated that a gratuity is automatically added. You see this mainly on menus referring to parties of 6 or more.   

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor

I guess that's true if you tip a penny or somesuch. But yes, tipping is insulting, and the way to deal with bad service is to pay the waiter but make him feel bad by doing a little pantomime involving percentages. Sounds sensible. ::)

avxo, no need to do a multi-quote breakdown of my post.  Save your pedantry for someone else

I'm maxed out on pedantry, so I have to continue being pedantic in small, controllable amounts to avoid overflowing. It wouldn't be pretty if I stopped. So you will just have to deal with it.

I see, by the way, that you addressed none of the issues I raised. Why is that?

The advantage of the system as it stands is that you have the ability to scale the tip up or down according to service.  If it were a flat 15%, well, then you can't do anything about bad service.

I prefer to reward excellent service, instead of "punishing" bad service, especially since your definition of "punishment" includes me paying money.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...

He goes out to eat and leaves no tip for a waitress which is pretty fucked up.  They depend on tips to pay bills as they only make about 2.13 an hour....that's what people are mainly pissed at him for rather than the n-word he also wrote.

He deserves no sympathy whatsoever and is getting what he deserves for being a cheapskate.  If you go out to eat at a restaurant, then leave a tip for your server.  He and his forensic examiner can go fuck themselves.

HE got carryout you buck dancing neegro.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
HE got carryout you buck dancing neegro.

Lol

Buck dancing for the win!

youandme

• Getbig V
There have been plenty of times where I feel like tipping 0. I can't do it though, because even with bad service you never know what someone is battling on a given day inside or outside of the workplace.

That_Dude

• Getbig III

He goes out to eat and leaves no tip for a waitress which is pretty fucked up.  They depend on tips to pay bills as they only make about 2.13 an hour....that's what people are mainly pissed at him for rather than the n-word he also wrote.

He deserves no sympathy whatsoever and is getting what he deserves for being a cheapskate.  If you go out to eat at a restaurant, then leave a tip for your server.  He and his forensic examiner can go fuck themselves.

I have a job with much greater responsibility than a waitress I get no tips when I do my job. If you want to get paid find a job and get an education to match the pay you'd like. These non skilled workers think the world owes them something......

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
Vince once again taking a beating worse than a 14yo's dick during puberty

bigmc

• Getbig V

avxo, no need to do a multi-quote breakdown of my post.  Save your pedantry for someone else

The advantage of the system as it stands is that you have the ability to scale the tip up or down according to service.  If it were a flat 15%, well, then you can't do anything about bad service.

so if your bill was a grand and the service was shit

you would insult them by tipping them 50 bills

its a real kick in the teeth  ::)
T

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
you should only tip if the service warrants it

tipping is not mandatory but is offerered for services rendered.

somehow waiters feel like ripping is something that is mandatory..it is not

No, its not mandatory but he's still an asshole and I believe he wrote "n i g g e r" on that slip.

Fact is that in a social media world with twitter and facebook, you need to be on your best behavior when you leave your house.
A

bigmc

• Getbig V
No, its not mandatory but he's still an asshole and I believe he wrote "n i g g e r" on that slip.

Fact is that in a social media world with twitter and facebook, you need to be on your best behavior when you leave your house.

I hope you are trolling vince

otherwise you are just another bigot ignoring the evidence
T

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
Check out this wee fudd on youtube talking about this case before she was exposed as a lying little stumor.

Think the comments will be changing now the cat is out the bag.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo

He's denying it and I believe him.  He's taking a huge risk coming out and speaking about it.  He could have easily faded back in to anonymity but he choose to make his case public.  You'd be surprised how often faked incidents of racism happen.  She's lying.
A

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
so if your bill was a grand and the service was shit

you would insult them by tipping them 50 bills

its a real kick in the teeth  ::)

reality is that any place you're paying a grand for dinner, it's unlikely service would be less than stellar

bigmc

• Getbig V
reality is that any place you're paying a grand for dinner, it's unlikely service would be less than stellar

good point they would never have an off day  ::)
T

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

Well, just based on experience..if you are dining in a place where the bill is going to be a grand, there is a good chance your table will have at least 2 waitstaff assigned. Likely not an Applebees or a Steak and Shake. Sure, they could have an off day..very unlikely at that level... but yeah...sure they could

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Ok.. it's not really based on experience...  :)

bigmc

• Getbig V
Well, just based on experience..if you are dining in a place where the bill is going to be a grand, there is a good chance your table will have at least 2 waitstaff assigned. Likely not an Applebees or a Steak and Shake. Sure, they could have an off day..very unlikely at that level... but yeah...sure they could

my point is

if the service is shit your first course of recourse is not to tip

if it is compulsory their is no incentive for them to look after you

a great waiter can make your night

those are the ones you tip generously
T

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
my point is

if the service is shit your first course of recourse is not to tip

if it is compulsory their is no incentive for them to look after you

a great waiter can make your night

those are the ones you tip generously

Your point is spot on

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
There have been plenty of times where I feel like tipping 0. I can't do it though, because even with bad service you never know what someone is battling on a given day inside or outside of the workplace.
They could be battling Megatron with AIDS for all I care, I just want them to do their job. Do a shit job and I don't tip you. And even then they still get paid something: their base salary. Plenty of self-employed people who wish they were so lucky.

In short: fuck that stupid, lying, faux-trendy shart gargler.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
They could be battling Megatron with AIDS for all I care, I just want them to do their job. Do a shit job and I don't tip you. And even then they still get paid something: their base salary. Plenty of self-employed people who wish they were so lucky.

In short: fuck that stupid, lying, faux-trendy shart gargler.

Leave a penny for horrible service rather than zero. It gets the point across more.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task

No, they don't.  Places like that have little (if any) turn over.  If you feel the service is shit in places like that you simply motion to the Maitre'D and they won't put up with shit.  I was at a place like that in Scottdale at an exclusive golf resort.  

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Goo drum leaving a restaurant having enjoyed the signature dish and tipped the waiter generously by swallowing.