Author Topic: Why I Lived Like a Monk for 12 Years – DORIAN YATES  (Read 3555 times)

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
Why I Lived Like a Monk for 12 Years – DORIAN YATES
« on: March 08, 2021, 08:02:54 AM »
GOAT 8)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Why I Lived Like a Monk for 12 Years – DORIAN YATES
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
GOAT 8)

Not quite, especially when there's another guy who won more Olympias that beat him.

One of the best? Indeed, he was.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
Not quite, especially when there's another guy who won more Olympias that beat him.

One of the best? Indeed, he was.

U mean that guy running away from competing after Doz entered the scene, knowing that not even the Mr. Olympia bonus could get him another gift next year? ???

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
U mean that guy running away from competing after Doz entered the scene, knowing that not even the Mr. Olympia bonus could get him another gift next year? ???

Haney never had a gift

He was at his all time best in his last Olympia, Dorian was at his all time worst at his

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »

There was nothing more for Haney to do. He competed for one reason: To break Arnold Schwarzenegger's record. And, he retired at the top of the heap, not riddled with injuries or a shadow (no pun intended) of his former self.

BTW - Haney was not undefeated, per this poster's title thread (he lost to Bannout in 1983).

Why didn't Yates compete in 1990, if he were so scary and Haney was so supposedly terrified of him?

Yates in 1992 basically looked the same as 1991, which was pretty great in its own right. Basically, he was a white Lee Haney (with a slightly wider waist) and that's why he won.

At the same size/bodyweight (as they were in 1991), Haney beats Yates due to his smaller waist and better proportions.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »
There was nothing more for Haney to do. He competed for one reason: To break Arnold Schwarzenegger's record. And, he retired at the top of the heap, not riddled with injuries or a shadow (no pun intended) of his former self.

BTW - Haney was not undefeated, per this poster's title thread (he lost to Bannout in 1983).

Why didn't Yates compete in 1990, if he were so scary and Haney was so supposedly terrified of him?

Yates in 1992 basically looked the same as 1991, which was pretty great in its own right. Basically, he was a white Lee Haney (with a slightly wider waist) and that's why he won.

At the same size/bodyweight (as they were in 1991), Haney beats Yates due to his smaller waist and better proportions.

comparison pic

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:04:30 PM »
Haney seemed like quite the class act.

"1"

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »

Yates was 239lbs in 1991 and Haney was 249lbs not the same weight. And in his first Olympia and a good 10lbs lighter he beat a career best Haney in the muscularity round.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »
Yates was 239lbs in 1991 and Haney was 249lbs not the same weight. And in his first Olympia and a good 10lbs lighter he beat a career best Haney in the muscularity round.

Haney was listed at 241 for that Olympia. That pic is from the ESPN broadcast of the 1991 Olympia, which I had on tape years ago (although, for the life, of me I can't find it).

Haney doesn't look ten pounds heavier than Yates in the pic Hypertrophy posted. Nor does he look that way here:

Haney's 241 to Yates' 239 (along with that pics) holds with what I said about the two of them being about the same size.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »

Drug tested...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »
Haney was listed at 241 for that Olympia. That pic is from the ESPN broadcast of the 1991 Olympia, which I had on tape years ago (although, for the life, of me I can't find it).

Haney doesn't look ten pounds heavier than Yates in the pic Hypertrophy posted. Nor does he look that way here:

Haney's 241 to Yates' 239 (along with that pics) holds with what I said about the two of them being about the same size.

I have Haney's book and he states 249lbs for that contest.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
How does Ronnie compare to Dorian? That would be an interesting comparison

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »
How does Ronnie compare to Dorian? That would be an interesting comparison

Someone should start a thread - no truces...
T

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »
I think Haney could have beaten Dorian one more year (92) as Dorian over dieted yet again.  But 93?  No way.  That Dorian along with the 96 German Grand Prix was and always will be untouchable.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 05:52:45 PM »
I pretty certain that monk's don't take shitloads of steroids, HGH and Buddha knows what else.  Is Dorian imagining himself to be cerebral now?  And just what is the meaning of the nickname "Doz".

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 06:08:14 PM »
Yates is the GOAT. After losing to Haney he must have gained 20lbs of muscle in one year.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 06:50:11 PM »
Yates is the GOAT. After losing to Haney he must have gained 20lbs of muscle in one year.

You may be confusing 1992 with 1993. As stated earlier, Yates looked basically the same in 1992 as he did in 1991, virtually a white Lee Haney.

It was in 1993 that he put on that 20 pounds of muscle. Or, as Yates put it, he simply didn't diet off 20 pounds of muscle the way he did the previous year.

I have Haney's book and he states 249lbs for that contest.

I referenced articles (from memory) that had Haney at 241. Again, looking at the pics, do you really think Haney looks 10 lbs heavier than Yates?

To me, they're the same size.

That's why Yates would have to be somewhat bigger than Haney to beat him in a hypothetical rematch. Haney has him beat on shape and proportion.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »
You may be confusing 1992 with 1993. As stated earlier, Yates looked basically the same in 1992 as he did in 1991, virtually a white Lee Haney.

It was in 1993 that he put on that 20 pounds of muscle. Or, as Yates put it, he simply didn't diet off 20 pounds of muscle the way he did the previous year.

I referenced articles (from memory) that had Haney at 241. Again, looking at the pics, do you really think Haney looks 10 lbs heavier than Yates?

To me, they're the same size.

That's why Yates would have to be somewhat bigger than Haney to beat him in a hypothetical rematch. Haney has him beat on shape and proportion.

In some pictures yes I think he does.

I agree Dorian 1993 would beat Haney 1991. I think Haney has him on shape & symmetry but Dorian has him on conditioning & proportion. I've said before that id Haney 91 faced Dorian 92 he would beat him again, Dorian 92 weighed 242lbs not much bigger than 91, By 1993 Dorian would just overwhelm him.

In these pics I think Lee looks a good 10lbs bigger than Yates.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 05:36:47 PM »
I think Haney could have beaten Dorian one more year (92) as Dorian over dieted yet again.  But 93?  No way.  That Dorian along with the 96 German Grand Prix was and always will be untouchable.

You're assuming Haney couldn't have shown up at 255-260. What if Haney didn't over diet? It's not as if there was a big age difference. Haney is only 3 years or so older than Yates.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 05:57:51 PM »
You're assuming Haney couldn't have shown up at 255-260. What if Haney didn't over diet? It's not as if there was a big age difference. Haney is only 3 years or so older than Yates.

He probably could have carried 255 but I can't envision him being as balanced and hard/grainy as 93 Yates.  I do think Lee could have beaten the 92 Dorian if he was at his best.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »

In some pictures yes I think he does.

I agree Dorian 1993 would beat Haney 1991. I think Haney has him on shape & symmetry but Dorian has him on conditioning & proportion. I've said before that id Haney 91 faced Dorian 92 he would beat him again, Dorian 92 weighed 242lbs not much bigger than 91, By 1993 Dorian would just overwhelm him.

In these pics I think Lee looks a good 10lbs bigger than Yates.

Not to me. Arms look the same size. Haney has slightly bigger pecs. Yates appears to have the edge on legs.

He probably could have carried 255 but I can't envision him being as balanced and hard/grainy as 93 Yates.  I do think Lee could have beaten the 92 Dorian if he was at his best.

Haney already had the balance edge on Yates. That's why Yates would have to be larger to beat Haney. As long as they're about the same size and both in good shape, advantage goes to the Totalee Awesome one.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 06:20:35 PM »
Haney retired at 31. Most black bodybuilders dont peak until their late 30s. Haney had plenty more left in the tank had he been willing to push the limits like Dorian.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
Haney retired at 31. Most black bodybuilders dont peak until their late 30s. Haney had plenty more left in the tank had he been willing to push the limits like Dorian.

Agreed. That was one of my points earlier. It's not as if Haney was like Dickerson, who squeaked out an Olympia win at the twilight of his career.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 02:15:08 AM »

You're assuming Haney overdieted, He didn't. In 1991 Haney said it was the only contest he entered where he peaked the day of the contest. He was 249lbs. Haney has competed at 257lbs at the 1989 Mr Olympia these are is his comments on the contest from his book Lee Haney's Ultimate Bodybuilding page 17.

" I was not my best for this contest. Instead of hitting the stage at 247-250 pounds, I was up to 257-my heaviest weight for an Olympia! The symmetry was on target , thank heaven,but I lacked the sharp definition, the awesome cuts, "

Haney has competed as high as Dorian's 1993 weight and admittedly his conditioning suffered for it. Lee couldn't touch Dorian 1993 no one could. It can't be understated Dorian in his first Mr Olympia ever and only his third pro contest ever , beat a career best Lee Haney in the muscularity round despite being a good 10lbs lighter! Dorian by 1993 would have easily beaten Haney 1991.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 03:29:44 AM »
Do we think Haney was the last Mr O to not use insulin?  i.e before they all started doing it?
T