Author Topic: BF caliper calculation  (Read 9097 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
BF caliper calculation
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:59 AM »
There are a bunch of online skinfold BF calculators out there, is there one that is better than the others? I just used a 3 point online calculator that pegged me a 7.2%. Hahahahahaha! Yes, I look JUST like Gal. NFW.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
Re: BF caliper calculation
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:00:38 AM »
try this one mate  ;)
North of Italy

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:05:17 AM »
try this one mate  ;)

I have a 1/1000" mechanical for sizing brass, the edges are pretty sharp ;-)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:25 AM »
The accuracy doesn't matter, the consistency of the measurements do. John Meadows explains it in detail.
(starts around 11:00, sorry for the long vid)

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:32 AM »
There are a bunch of online skinfold BF calculators out there, is there one that is better than the others? I just used a 3 point online calculator that pegged me a 7.2%. Hahahahahaha! Yes, I look JUST like Gal. NFW.

Google search the 7 point method. You'll need someone to help you with a couple of skin folds you won't be able to reach. The four point method is a little bit better than the three, but not as accurate as the seven.
S

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:16 AM »
Google search the 7 point method. You'll need someone to help you with a couple of skin folds you won't be able to reach. The four point method is a little bit better than the three, but not as accurate as the seven.

Thanks.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:00:45 AM »
You should be able to tell just by looking.... ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 06:53:29 AM »
try this one mate  ;)

Top brand.  I've been looking at their stuff lately along with Brown/Sharp/Hexagon (guess Starrett isn't all it used to be).

Will probably get one of their indicators and an inch/metric digital caliper.  For mics I can't afford them, especially in digital, and am considering Fowler.

'Skin fold test' never made any sense to me.  How the hell you gonna caliper something squishy?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:00:36 AM »
Top brand.  I've been looking at their stuff lately along with Brown/Sharp/Hexagon (guess Starrett isn't all it used to be).

Will probably get one of their indicators and an inch/metric digital caliper.  For mics I can't afford them, especially in digital, and am considering Fowler.

'Skin fold test' never made any sense to me.  How the hell you gonna caliper something squishy?

I use a Lyman for my reloading. For firearm tolerances, it is sufficient.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:01:13 AM »
You should be able to tell just by looking.... ;D

Well, I sure as hell could tell I wasn't 7%...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:27 AM »
I use a Lyman for my reloading. For firearm tolerances, it is sufficient.

Can't seem to find mics on their site but I'll keep digging.  Definitely need a lower priced inch/metric digital set than Mitutoyos.  I might have to stay away from smithing companies tho, given restrictions here.

Did you turn your own barrel?  I'm looking at a lathe with a 38mm spindle bore (1.5").

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 07:17:37 AM »
Can't seem to find mics on their site but I'll keep digging.  Definitely need a lower priced inch/metric digital set than Mitutoyos.  I might have to stay away from smithing companies tho, given restrictions here.

Did you turn your own barrel?  I'm looking at a lathe with a 38mm spindle bore (1.5").

I am pretty sure that my wife would divorce me if I brought in a barrel lathe. That's not to say that it isn't interesting. I have friends that do, but for my purposes and calibers, there are several very competitive vendors.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/calipers/dial-caliper-prod7997.aspx

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 07:27:52 AM »
I am pretty sure that my wife would divorce me if I brought in a barrel lathe. That's not to say that it isn't interesting. I have friends that do, but for my purposes and calibers, there are several very competitive vendors.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/calipers/dial-caliper-prod7997.aspx

Thanks for the link. 

I'm going to buy local but if I was in the US I'd look at Grizzly lathes.  They get generally positive reviews online.  Tell her it's to make nice candlesticks for her.

Dude in my avatar is Keith Fenner.  Great YouTube vids if you're into metal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:25 AM »

QFT, they always say that taking skin folds it a skill. My interpretation and experience is that you get different readings from different testers. Also a lot of fat is carried viscerally. People also carry subcutaneous differently.

The electrical testing devices are wildly inaccurate. I have seen guys with paper thin skin come back with 20%.

The gold standard is under water weighing. That's how they test skin fold calipers against. I say look in the mirror. There is no hiding lean body.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:21 AM »
youre condradicting yourself there, you dont see visceral fat in the mirror ;D

comeone, underwater method, just use the caliper, no need to make this the next mars mission.

:D

Mirror looks good...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »
QFT, they always say that taking skin folds it a skill. My interpretation and experience is that you get different readings from different testers. Also a lot of fat is carried viscerally. People also carry subcutaneous differently.

The electrical testing devices are wildly inaccurate. I have seen guys with paper thin skin come back with 20%.

The gold standard is under water weighing. That's how they test skin fold calipers against. I say look in the mirror. There is no hiding lean body.

Well said.  A skill like romanian fortune telling, I reckon.  Good news for sale.

I could take 5 different readings off the skin over my knuckle.  It's total bullshit.

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »
I use the 7 point caliper check, electrical scale, and Navy seal method. I do this once a week at the same time when dieting and take an average of the three. This helps me keep track of fat loss and if I lose any muscle so I can adjust my diet or add or subtract cardio.
S

ukjeff

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
calipers FFS, just look in the mirror.
People use callipers and claim low bodyfat levels because "the callipers say so" but still look like shit.

Dont waste your time with callipers.

ukjeff

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »
calipers are the best method to merely check progress.or degress haha.
Best method for progress is to go and see a trusted and honest person who will be critical around every week to 10 days, they will be better than any set of callipers.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
  Flex had zero body fat     ;) :D ;D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 01:49:50 PM »
youre condradicting yourself there, you dont see visceral fat in the mirror ;D

yes you do.  the protruding stomach is an indication of too much visceral fat.

if you have a 30 inch waist then calipers may give an accurate measurement.  but many bodybuilders with very little subcutaneous fat still have lots of visceral fat

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
 Flex had zero body fat     ;) :D ;D

So synthol doesn't count as fat?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »
calipers FFS, just look in the mirror.
People use callipers and claim low bodyfat levels because "the callipers say so" but still look like shit.

Dont waste your time with callipers.

fuck off assface

you can use calipers to judge yourself against yourself dipshit

if you ab skinfold is @ 10 mm and then 2 weeks later it's @ 6 mm then you are indeed leaner dumbass