Author Topic: Losing feels worse than winning feels good? Yes or no.  (Read 1540 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Losing feels worse than winning feels good? Yes or no.
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »
Discuss

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: Losing feels worse than winning feels good? Yes or no.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »
It all depends on what's on the line.  If you're playing coed ball with nothing on the line, then it's a win/win for everyone, even if you lose.  On the other hand, if you just bet your life savings in a game of poker, and you lose.....  Then yes, losing would feel much worse than winning would feel good.   ;)

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
It depends if you are a positive or negative person i guess.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
Depends entirely what's on the line.

Losing a loved ones life definatly feel worse losing than how good winning 1000$ in a lottery would feel.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
Never winning and never losing would have to be the worst option, imo

the trainer

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »
I lost the cum out of my balls and it feels good

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
This is correct.

Most people over-react to what will be a perceived loss, rather than focus on the benefits of a win. Tons of studies bear this out.

It's a standard tactic to use against someone you're negotiating with.

It's programmed right at your genetic level.

Organisms that prioritize avoiding risk are actually more likely to pass along their genetic fitness to offspring than those who take risks for potential rewards.

You see this play out all the time...the crazy teenage boy who risks all for the attention of a girl, who subsequently breaks his neck jumping from the garage into the pool.

Here's a fine example of risk aversion:

Let's say I set up a booth, and offered everyone 10oz of chicken breast for $5, or 3oz of canned processed chicken for $1. Most of you will choose the 10oz chicken deal.

Now let's say I change up the prices; I offer that same 10oz of chicken for $4, or 3oz of canned processed chicken for free. The relative valuation of each is the same. However, now, nearly all of you will choose the free canned chicken instead of paying for my chicken breast deal.

Odd, isn't it? I didn't change how much the chicken breast was worth relative to the canned chicken. But now that you know you can have canned chicken for free if you just reach out and take it, there's a part of your brain that won't pass it up, even though I'm offering you an incredible deal on the chicken breast, which is what you really want.

You can argue with me that you'd still choose the chicken breast, but studies bear out that the lion's share of people (to a statistically significant value) will avoid the risk of losing something they thought they had, at the expense of a potential larger reward.

How much reward do I have to give you to avoid a loss? Simply put, the marginal utiltity on the reward has to be about double the loss in marginal utility of risk you're avoiding.

In other words, 10oz of chicken at $4 must be no less than twice as useful to you as 3oz of free canned chicken. If you don't perceive that to be the case, then I'll need to give you more chicken breast for $4, and keep upping the ante, until I trip your marginal utility meter. Since we all value chicken breast differently, this can become quite mercurial when negotiating. But there's one tried truth amongst men; we can't help over-reacting to a loss...any loss. And when you push a man in the moment, he doesn't always have time to carefully evaluate his marginal utilities, particular if he's not really noticing he's in a negotiation.

The wise man uses this tactic against the uninitiated to enforce his desired negotiation outcomes. Which of course, has to be moderated against the other man's BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement).

It's really neat stuff when you start digging into how interestingly we all behave, as a great unwashed mass of people. As a whole, we're all quite predictable. As a single unit, we're all quite unpredictable.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
This is correct.

Most people over-react to what will be a perceived loss, rather than focus on the benefits of a win. Tons of studies bear this out.

It's a standard tactic to use against someone you're negotiating with.

It's programmed right at your genetic level.

Organisms that prioritize avoiding risk are actually more likely to pass along their genetic fitness to offspring than those who take risks for potential rewards.

You see this play out all the time...the crazy teenage boy who risks all for the attention of a girl, who subsequently breaks his neck jumping from the garage into the pool.

Here's a fine example of risk aversion:

Let's say I set up a booth, and offered everyone 10oz of chicken breast for $5, or 3oz of canned processed chicken for $1. Most of you will choose the 10oz chicken deal.

Now let's say I change up the prices; I offer that same 10oz of chicken for $4, or 3oz of canned processed chicken for free. The relative valuation of each is the same. However, now, nearly all of you will choose the free canned chicken instead of paying for my chicken breast deal.

Odd, isn't it? I didn't change how much the chicken breast was worth relative to the canned chicken. But now that you know you can have canned chicken for free if you just reach out and take it, there's a part of your brain that won't pass it up, even though I'm offering you an incredible deal on the chicken breast, which is what you really want.

You can argue with me that you'd still choose the chicken breast, but studies bear out that the lion's share of people (to a statistically significant value) will avoid the risk of losing something they thought they had, at the expense of a potential larger reward.

How much reward do I have to give you to avoid a loss? Simply put, the marginal utiltity on the reward has to be about double the loss in marginal utility of risk you're avoiding.

In other words, 10oz of chicken at $4 must be no less than twice as useful to you as 3oz of free canned chicken. If you don't perceive that to be the case, then I'll need to give you more chicken breast for $4, and keep upping the ante, until I trip your marginal utility meter. Since we all value chicken breast differently, this can become quite mercurial when negotiating. But there's one tried truth amongst men; we can't help over-reacting to a loss...any loss. And when you push a man in the moment, he doesn't always have time to carefully evaluate his marginal utilities, particular if he's not really noticing he's in a negotiation.

The wise man uses this tactic against the uninitiated to enforce his desired negotiation outcomes. Which of course, has to be moderated against the other man's BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement).

It's really neat stuff when you start digging into how interestingly we all behave, as a great unwashed mass of people. As a whole, we're all quite predictable. As a single unit, we're all quite unpredictable.

I liked reading that.

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »
i agree.. when i hit my numbers at work and im praised at meetings i feel "ok", but when im last and my numbers are shitty....i feel like shit....
real men= no rubbers

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
Sometimes when I have to shit real bad and it comes out I say its the best feeling ever.  But then I cum inside a hot chick and that is the best feeling ever, but then I feel disgusted by her whoreness.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
Unless winning means a large cash prize, then fuck winning it isnt worth the effort.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 04:43:38 PM »
Whats losing  ???

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
i agree.. when i hit my numbers at work and im praised at meetings i feel "ok", but when im last and my numbers are shitty....i feel

I have never been last - but I try to coach the guys down there... Myself and two other guys are always battling for " Top Dog" - the award used to be cool but after so many years it's just piling up $. I do hate losing I will say though - not always a good trait - can really make you look like an ass when the guys are over shooting pool or really doing anything competitive

Interesting post "Wiggswami"- made me think a little

whitewidow

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
Discuss

Losing never feels good. what the fuck kind of question is this?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 01:42:51 AM »
I like purposely losing arguments with you, it makes me feel like I've done a good deed by providing you with a healthy dose of well needed self-worth and esteem to keep you going for another day.
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:41 AM »
the only battle thats important in life is the one we fight against ourselves

we put too much importance on trivial shit
T

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:47:06 AM »
the only battle thats important in life is the one we fight against ourselves

we put too much importance on trivial shit
words of wisdom

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:22 AM »
I liked reading that.

Thanks The Mammary...I do what I can to inject economic theory to the board. It's like getting a dog into a bathtub, but it's worth it when things are cleaned up.