Author Topic: What's up with people making $15 an hour claiming they're starving?  (Read 10667 times)

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Re: What's up with people making $15 an hour claiming they're starving?
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
Good point Tres. It baffles me why some people don't try improve their situation, by making a few sacrifices.

Things I've heard people struggling financially say, despite working a full time job and not having any dependants.

"You only live once"
"I'd rather spend my last 200 and have great memories, than have it sit in bank"
"I could die tomorrow then what use will the money be"

Unless you're a hot girl, you're fuked if you think like this.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »
Good point Tres. It baffles me why some people don't try improve their situation, by making a few sacrifices.

Things I've heard people struggling financially say, despite working a full time job and not having any dependants.

"You only live once"
"I'd rather spend my last 200 and have great memories, than have it sit in bank"
"I could die tomorrow then what use will the money be"

Unless you're a hot girl, you're fuked if you think like this.

its not the $15 wage that is the problem.. it is the mindset

2 married ppl make $15 per hour is $30k per year each person and $60k per year which is $5k per month

-if full time - they have benefits
$5k per month they are paying basically zero taxes
-can get a mortgage to own a home
-enough to save money

its not the wages... the choices people make.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »
Yes, the poor in this country are starving yet have the highest obesity rates in the world.😂

borsen8

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
It seems apparent that you don't live in a major city. $15 an hour barely pays the rent on a one bedroom apartment in Portland, OR  much less anywhere in southern California. People shouldn't have to choose between rent and food.

they don't have to. they can chose between getting educated, and earning more, or not

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
they don't have to. they can chose between getting educated, and earning more, or not

you too should get educated about EU infestation of muslim rats ..................

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »

its not the $15 wage that is the problem.. it is the mindset

2 married ppl make $15 per hour is $30k per year each person and $60k per year which is $5k per month

-if full time - they have benefits
$5k per month they are paying basically zero taxes
-can get a mortgage to own a home
-enough to save money

its not the wages... the choices people make.

Exactly this. My wife and I went from a few thousand in the bank to over 3 figures in about three years on $9 to $13/hr jobs. No investing at the time as well. It is all about choices. Before that I basically supported my ex girlfriend and myself on $10/hr. This is also while taking trips to Norway, etc.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2019, 04:29:25 AM »
I will chime in here - one of the few things I know about is money and the relationship one has with money. yes we all have a relationship with money. how is your personal relationship with your money? hmm  ;D i am a mortgage broker so i see income, assets and credit reports daily for the last 13 years. Ive delt with all levels of income with mortgages - so i am familiar with the min wage crowd as much as the private client crowd.

the biggest problem with people making min wage is not the actual wage being made, but those who have low paying jobs generally are less intelligent with their money, min wage earners generally have less than favorable credit scores which means these consumers cannot get decent financing, they are late more often on bills and it is a snowball effect. its not the wage.... the relationship with money and financial literacy more than actual money. also min wage is not something you strive for or settle for. you work your way up.

also those having min wage, generally do not have savings, so if they loose their job they do not have any funds saved

i had the worst jobs when i was younger, worked at a car wash, washed dishes, worked at a golf course, eventually got a job selling used cars and put myself through business school and then got better jobs and started my career - enough about me - i am saying you shouldn't strive to keep min wage jobs.... if you arent a screw up, you can generally rise to asst manager, then manager in a few years if you have a min wage job

now let's look at some figures if someone had min wage income
$15 an hour 40 hours a week = $30,000 annual income - you will pay pretty much zero taxes so assume you and your spouse are $15 which is $60,000 per year which is $5000 per tax per month.

with $5000 a month, good credit scores you can buy a decent home in many US cities. but those with min wage do not have good credit generally which they are not able to get financing due countless reasons but that should not the case...

if you and your min wage wife make $5k per pre -tax that is enough money for a decent vacation per year and allow you save for retirement

$5000 a month pre-tax is more than enough for a family to live an american middle class but 99% of americans do not have good financial will power (stop spending, poor relationship with money, and have a poor mindset....ill always be poor)

so in summary if you are financially literate you can do fine on $15 an hour but those who make $15 an hour...all odds are against them.

being good with money:
-know how money works
-have will power - stop spending
-let's face it, the cost of living is going up, we live in a capitalist society so making more money is more important in 2019 then it was ever before. work your ass off and make more money.

the middle class is going away for sure, but it is typically due to poor money management not the economics.  

example - 2 broke people get married and make poor financial decisions and have "broke mindset" and never rise up through the ranks... and have poor will power. that shouldnt be the outcome, but it happens 1000 times over

remember we all have a relationship with money - how does your personal financial status make you feel? and yes you can improve it.

you are out to lunch. please tell us how a person can survive off that in Vancouver or Toronto? good luck. let me guess,  you're answer is move to buttfuckville, ride a bike, eat toast all day, dont buy a coffee, actually dont buy a thing because no matter what it is people like you call it a luxury. Dont have kids. you're basically saying dont have a decent life till you're almost dead.

I can count on one hand 15 dollar an hour jobs that pay ANY benefits that are worth fuck all, nevermind the rest which are zero. Go fix a tooth with no benefits. There goes half a weeks pay. need braces, 10 grand right there.

save for retirement? lol how many years do you have to work to save for a decent retirement with a 15 dollar an hour wage? and what kind of retirement will that be.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2019, 04:45:05 AM »
you are out to lunch. please tell us how a person can survive off that in Vancouver or Toronto? good luck. let me guess,  you're answer is move to buttfuckville, ride a bike, eat toast all day, dont buy a coffee, actually dont buy a thing because no matter what it is people like you call it a luxury. Dont have kids. you're basically saying dont have a decent life till you're almost dead.

I can count on one hand 15 dollar an hour jobs that pay ANY benefits that are worth fuck all, nevermind the rest which are zero. Go fix a tooth with no benefits. There goes half a weeks pay. need braces, 10 grand right there.

save for retirement? lol how many years do you have to work to save for a decent retirement with a 15 dollar an hour wage? and what kind of retirement will that be.

I'm guessing most of the expenses will be going to rent?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2019, 04:46:38 AM »
I'm guessing most of the expenses will be going to rent?

food and rent for sure. rent is retarded here. to live in decent place will cost you an arm and a leg.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2019, 04:48:20 AM »
food and rent for sure. rent is retarded here. to live in decent place will cost you an arm and a leg.

So lets say they're earning $ 2400, how much would they be looking at for rent?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2019, 05:32:06 AM »
So lets say they're earning $ 2400, how much would they be looking at for rent?

more then half that will easily go to rent if you're not looking at basement dwellings.

not only that, the previous poster made an assumption that you're working as a couple . what if you're single? 15 dollars an hour will leave your ass broke. you wont save shit unless you're living in a cardboard box or with 4 other people or with your parents.

Hes a mortgage broker, they did a hell of job pre 2008 getting people into homes they couldn't afford. I wouldn't take their word for anything. My wife works in banking, she sees people approved for homes they can barely hang on too all the time, while the broker encourages them to make the deal of a life time.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37:22 AM »

Hes a mortgage broker, they did a hell of job pre 2008 getting people into homes they couldn't afford. I wouldn't take their word for anything.
That was the individuals choice to do that.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2019, 05:38:44 AM »
That was the individuals choice to do that.

I agree but that wasn't the point I was making.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2019, 05:41:47 AM »
I make about 30-34K a year and Rory makes about 44-48K a year and we are doing just fine.

It's how you budget.
X

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2019, 05:42:19 AM »
I make about 30-34K a year and Rory makes about 44-48K a year and we are doing just fine.

It's how you budget.

where? define "fine"

some people are fine living in the streets, or a trailer with a  10 inch tv with rabbit ears 

I dont give a shit what anyone says, 15 dollars an hour in Toronto wont leave you with anything. You will be broke for life.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2019, 05:48:38 AM »
where? define "fine"

some people are fine living in the streets, or a trailer with a  10 inch tv with rabbit ears 

I dont give a shit what anyone says, 15 dollars an hour in Toronto wont leave you with anything. You will be broke for life.

Pay our rent, money in the bank, take multiple vacations, both have cars, eat out 2-3x per week.
X

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2019, 05:54:41 AM »
Pay our rent, money in the bank, take multiple vacations, both have cars, eat out 2-3x per week.

where? Winnipeg? money in the bank? how much? 200 dollars?  what car? 2002 Honda civic? eat out? Mc Donald's?

How.much do you got saved for retirement?

You're answer is vague.

I'm not going to live like Vince but he thinks his life is grand. fuck that.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2019, 06:01:42 AM »
where? Winnipeg? money in the bank? how much? 200 dollars?  what car? 2002 Honda civic? eat out? Mc Donald's?
Aren't these all choices as well? A 2002 Honda civic is fine if it gets you place to place. Why would you choose to go out and get steak instead of McDonald's when you cannot afford it?

I am not denying that it is difficult and it is much easier when you have more income but you can save a chunk of money when making lower wages as you work your way up in life.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2019, 06:07:48 AM »

How.much do you got saved for retirement?

You're answer is vague.

I'm not going to live like Vince but he thinks his life is grand. fuck that.

Where: Chicago
Money in the bank: $3,500
Car: 2007 Toyota Corolla
Restaurants: TGIF's, Chillis, Outback
Retirement Savings: $6,000
Vacations: Grand Canyon, New Hampshire, Vermont, Empire State Building
X

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 06:16:57 AM »
Aren't these all choices as well? A 2002 Honda civic is fine if it gets you place to place. Why would you choose to go out and get steak instead of McDonald's when you cannot afford it?

I am not denying that it is difficult and it is much easier when you have more income but you can save a chunk of money when making lower wages as you work your way up in life.

lol, yeah Vinces life is stellar. Hes fucking delusional and so is anyone that thinks like him.

Theres a HUGE difference between surviving and living life.

Using your logic I guess I can survive in Toronto off 15 an hour but if i had any sanity left I would realize it's a shit life. I've been there. no thanks.  

So as I mentioned earlier  if you want to move to bumfuckville and live in a trailer, eating McDonald's while saving 200 dollars a month, be my guest. you win.

If you actually want to have a life, 15 dollars an hour in a major metropolitan city is going to be a major struggle and you'll end up using some type of assistance, dying broke, when  you should be enjoying retirement. That's a simple fact.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »
Where: Chicago
Money in the bank: $3,500
Car: 2007 Toyota Corolla
Restaurants: TGIF's, Chillis, Outback
Retirement Savings: $6,000
Vacations: Grand Canyon, New Hampshire, Vermont, Empire State Building

wow. I think Id rather kill myself. you actually posted that and think you're doing fine?

I'm not trying to be a dick but I'd be shitting my pants thinking about my retirement, unless you have some inheritance coming your way or plan on winning the lottery.

Hope.you dont end up single, hurt yourself  and lose 6 months of work.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2019, 06:32:57 AM »

wow. I think Id rather kill myself. you actually posted that and think you're doing fine?

I'm not trying to be a dick but I'd be shitting my pants thinking about my retirement, unless you have some inheritance coming your way or plan on winning the lottery.

Hope.you dont end up single, hurt yourself  and lose 6 months of work.

I am in my mid-30s so I have time until retirement.

Furthermore, your response freaked me out. Thanks! >:(
X

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2019, 06:56:48 AM »
I am in my mid-30s so I have time until retirement.

Furthermore, your response freaked me out. Thanks! >:(

If you're in your mid 30s you have less time than you think. it is doable but I'd be making significant changes.

However, if you're happy and think that's all you need, I'm not going to waste my time convincing you otherwise.

Sorry if I freaked you out. best of luck.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2019, 06:58:55 AM »
If you're in your mid 30s you have less time than you think. it is doable but I'd be making significant changes.

However, if you're happy and think that's all you need, I'm not going to waste my time convincing you otherwise.

Sorry if I freaked you out. best of luck.

I’ll probably work until I die because I love my field.

What kind of significant changes do you think I should make?
X

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2019, 07:25:32 AM »
15 an hour is more than enough. If it was up to me, I'd set min wage at around $6 per hour and no sick leave. You don't work, you don't get paid.

If you need to make more money, get an education lazy fuck.

get help.