Author Topic: Some thoughts on the IFL "Team Concept"  (Read 1308 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Some thoughts on the IFL "Team Concept"
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »
I had the opportunity to attend the IFL event in Atlantic City this weekend. Here are a few observations:

First, a bit about my background. I've been training BJJ on and off at Renzo's since 1996. I'm currently training 2-3 times a week. In addition, I've been following MMA since UFC 1 and am familiar with most of the MMA organizations.

Overall, it was a decent card with well trained athletes. Pat Militech's team in particular brought a lot of intensity to the table.

One guy to keep an eye from Renzo's team is 185lb  Delson  "Pe De Chumbo" Helano. I first saw him at the 2003 BJJ World's, where he was a standout. Athletically, he's a freak of nature, incredibly quick hips, and he's dangerous both standing and on the ground. He knocked his opponent, Dennis Hallman, into another time zone with a heel kick from the ground. However, the kick was deemed illegal and Delson was DQ'd. The crowd wasn't happy. When I got home I read the rules which didn't specifically state that a fighter couldn't kick from the bottom, so the DQ was incorrect.

As far as the team concept, it doesn't make sense. They had the teams compete against each other in a best of five series (each team has five fighters) and the winning teams move on to face each other at a later date.

Fortunately, both matches were tied at 2 wins apiece going into the fifth fight, so the concept worked on that night. However, had one team swept the series 3-0, or won 3-1, the last fight or last two fights would've been meaningless. It's akin to two baseball teams playing each other in a best of five series, one team sweeping the series 3-0, but they play the last two meaningless games anyway.

In addition, having entire teams move on as opposed to individuals is absurd. Here's why:

Maurice Smith's team beat Renzo's 3-2. However, Smith's 3 wins came via a split decision, a DQ, and a unanimous decision: whereas Renzo's two wins came via a guillotine choke and a rear naked. So the two fighters who were choked out get to move on because of referee decisions in other fights.

Another thing that bothered me was the silly names they gave the teams. Team Renzo Gracie, or Team Pat Militech has meaning. The Pitbulls or the Silverbacks means nothing. Just name the teams after their coaches.

All in all, I enjoyed the show but if you put a gun to my head and asked me if the concept will work, I'd have to say no.

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Some thoughts on the IFL "Team Concept"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:01:59 PM »
team concept in an individual sport is pretty absurd..........

it's like team tennis