Author Topic: no cardio after legday, why?  (Read 3478 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
no cardio after legday, why?
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »
I usually do cardio after training, i have heard lots of times ppl say 'don't do cardio after legs'

why? lazy? valid excuse?

more is better right, don't waste an empty stomach cardio opportunity :D

Discuss
tank u jesus

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: no cardio after legday, why?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »

When legs are "trained right," it's hard to walk!!!
I seem to find it easy to walk on the treadmill at an incline (which I like doing anyway for cardio) pretty easy. One foot in front of the other, and within a minute or two, you can walk normal again.
Other than that, it's just laziness.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »
yes i agree. the first few mins on the treadmill after legs are not so nice, but after awhile it gets better.
tank u jesus

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »
I don't mind cardio, or any sports after a leg workout.  My legs are tired, but after a few minutes they soon loosen up again.  The worst time to do cardio is the day after a brutal leg workout, when even trying to sit down is painful!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:54:06 PM »
 its okay to do. in fact if im doign cardio my most intense and longest cardio session is always on leg day.

***edit= its okay to do if your dieting and already doing cardio and cutting back calories.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
No cardio after leg day is just laziness.

I feel that it's more inportant to avoid cardio the day before leg day.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »
I have stated before in other threads that I don't know how anybody can do cardio after legs.  I do cardio before, but I have good genetics for legs and I'm not trying to get huge.  Wouldn't recommend for someone with poor leg genetics looking to add size. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
i actually added it in a few weeks ago and like it honestly im not nearly as sore for not nearly as long if i do some light cardio after legs...ill do the stairmaster at a low level some times after legs...although i dont usually do alot of volume for legs so that would probably make it a lot harder.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:24:10 PM »
its okay to do. in fact if im doign cardio my most intense and longest cardio session is always on leg day.

Lol, do you bump up the treadmill to 3.0 instead of 2.8 that day?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »

Maybe you're getting him mixed up with me, poly.

Tonymctones-
How in holy hell can you do any form of stairmaster on leg day?!?!? Fuck, I can't deal with that!!! :o :o :o

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Maybe you're getting him mixed up with me, poly.

Tonymctones-
How in holy hell can you do any form of stairmaster on leg day?!?!? Fuck, I can't deal with that!!! :o :o :o
LOL well i usually always support myselft with the side rails so im not usually standing...I dont do a lot of volume either, ill do a squats usually about 6 sets with a warm up with 12, 10, 8, 3-4, 1-2 reps per set so its more ache then burn for me anyway and then ham exercise and then a calve and thats about it...My legs workouts are pretty short and sweet i definetly could understand if you did higher volume, when i used to do like 5 or 6 exercises for legs i could hardly walk down the stairs so stairmaster would have been out of the question.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
3.2 or so.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
3.2 or so.

Brutal!

Unbelievable intensity, I don't see how you do it.  :)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 03:41:48 AM »
stair master wraps a leg session up very nicely, somthing i started doin during a pre contest phase and ive kept it up ever since, takes the edge off the ache the next day, etches in those splits too

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »
Brutal!

Unbelievable intensity, I don't see how you do it.  :)
bodybuilding, not bodyshrinking

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 09:48:02 AM »
stair master wraps a leg session up very nicely, somthing i started doin during a pre contest phase and ive kept it up ever since, takes the edge off the ache the next day, etches in those splits too
i feel the same way it can be pretty rough for the first few minutes but i think its worth it not to be sore for the next 3 or 4 days...

dropshot001

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
definitely agree with those who say that it decreases the soreness.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 04:48:29 AM »
I'm incredibly sore unless I do at least 15-30 minutes of cardio after training legs...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
everyone is going to say "DOMS IS NO SIGN OF HYPERTROPHY"

BUT

theres a very good chance that soreness is related to growth/

if your doing something that eliminates soreness, its very possible that your also doing something that is eliminating your growth.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »

BUT

if your doing something that eliminates soreness, its very possible that your also doing something that is eliminating your growth.

Not sure about this.  Soreness is there because you've damaged the muscle, I'm not sure that doing some cardio is going to be able to fix that damage.  It could be that the cardio gets more blood straight into the area and starts the healing process earlier, therefore reducing the effects over the following days.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »
Not sure about this.  Soreness is there because you've damaged the muscle, I'm not sure that doing some cardio is going to be able to fix that damage.  It could be that the cardio gets more blood straight into the area and starts the healing process earlier, therefore reducing the effects over the following days.

there has been alot of stuff published about endurance exercise effects on muscle hypertophy. they cancel each other out. especially when done back to back.  muscular development magazine posts tons of studies in their training section each month and it seems like every month they have one or two pieces outlining specific reasons why endurance and resistance training do not mix together.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »
there has been alot of stuff published about endurance exercise effects on muscle hypertophy. they cancel each other out. especially when done back to back.  muscular development magazine posts tons of studies in their training section each month and it seems like every month they have one or two pieces outlining specific reasons why endurance and resistance training do not mix together.

In those studies, what are they classing as endurance training?  45 mins on the treadmill probably will dent your muscle gains, but I think we're talking more about a short duration, low intensity session, which wouldn't count a great deal in the way of endurance, but would provide enough of a rush of blood to the legs to maybe help reduce the soreness the next day.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
In those studies, what are they classing as endurance training?  45 mins on the treadmill probably will dent your muscle gains, but I think we're talking more about a short duration, low intensity session, which wouldn't count a great deal in the way of endurance, but would provide enough of a rush of blood to the legs to maybe help reduce the soreness the next day.
thats a good question, and one i am curious about as well. 

they didnt say, not from what i remember.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »

BUT

As leonp1981 was talking about...

...muscles grow when they're forced to adapt to something. If you curl 45lbs per arm for 8 reps, and then suddenly try 55's for eight, you're biceps will have to adapt to that stress.
If you then decide to jump on a treadmill for an hour, you may not get sore, you my be burning more calories that are needed to visually grow, but the signal of adaptation has been given to your biceps. If you continue to curl (or attempt) the 55's, your biceps will get the continued stimulus to grow (when you read grow, grow=adapt) and they'll still be able to grow if you take in enough calories.

As Dorian Yates once said about how he maintains similar training during his Mr. O diet prep:

"The program that built the muscle will keep the muscle."

As the "natural" guys Willet & LaCour said..."Let the training keep your muscle. And let your diet and cardio shed the body fat." 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
As leonp1981 was talking about...

...muscles grow when they're forced to adapt to something. If you curl 45lbs per arm for 8 reps, and then suddenly try 55's for eight, you're biceps will have to adapt to that stress.
If you then decide to jump on a treadmill for an hour, you may not get sore, you my be burning more calories that are needed to visually grow, but the signal of adaptation has been given to your biceps. If you continue to curl (or attempt) the 55's, your biceps will get the continued stimulus to grow (when you read grow, grow=adapt) and they'll still be able to grow if you take in enough calories.

As Dorian Yates once said about how he maintains similar training during his Mr. O diet prep:

"The program that built the muscle will keep the muscle."

As the "natural" guys Willet & LaCour said..."Let the training keep your muscle. And let your diet and cardio shed the body fat." 

gaining strength and gaining size are two seperate things that can and do happen seperately.