Author Topic: Obama vs Romney  (Read 70687 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Obama vs Romney
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
Good commentary. 

Media hysteria a sign Obama's in trouble
By Michael Goodwin
Published May 16, 2012
New York Post

An important change is happening in the presidential race — the belief that Mitt Romney could actually win is spreading. There is a growing confidence among his supporters, and the polls are starting to pick up a shift in his favor.

There is another indicator, however, and it is far more reliable. The left-leaning media is getting hysterical, launching over-the-top attacks on Romney and moving to protect President Obama as they see the public turning away from their man.

A CNN anchor compared Romney’s statement that “marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman” to George Wallace’s statement in 1963 that he favored “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.”

An MSNBC guest compared Ann Romney to Hitler and Stalin.

The New York Times, faced with the fact that its own poll showed 67 percent of voters suspect Obama supported gay marriage mostly for political reasons, buried the story on the bottom of Page 17. And not until the 16th paragraph did it mention that the poll found Romney leading Obama by three points.

Then there’s the Newsweek cover that slapped a rainbow halo on the man it called “the first gay president” — an image that captures the quest to grant Obama messiah status.

The echo-chamber quality to the hysteria is of a piece with media cheerleading on the president’s gay-marriage stance, the lack of curiosity about how it came to pass, and what it means for the election.

Pundits and headline writers widely hail him as “brave” and “courageous” for “evolving” to yes, but Obama had little choice after Vice President Joe Biden announced his own support. True courage comes only when the choice is voluntary and there is another option. Acting when you have no other option is not courageous.

Moreover, the fact that Biden apologized to Obama for forcing him out is barely noted by the kudo chorus. The apology sequence doesn’t fit with the narrative of Obama “courage,” so the press ignores it.

Strange, too, that Obama declared gay marriage a civil right, but insisted it should be left to the states. His political allies are scratching their heads over that one — it’s a civil right or it’s not — but the media haven’t pursued that incoherent angle either.

Nor do his cheerleaders seem curious about whether he will support Harry Reid and others who want to include a call for gay marriage in the party’s official campaign platform.

A further twist adds more confusion. Obama said the law designed to leave it to the states — the Defense of Marriage Act, signed by Bill Clinton — is “unconstitutional.” So, is he going to propose another version? Nobody seems to care.

Whatever you believe about gay marriage, and I happen to support it, the media double standard is doing Obama more harm than good. Accusing Romney of using his stance as a “wedge issue” while painting Obama as a hero for his doesn’t pass the smell test.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/16/media-hysteria-sign-obama-in-trouble/?intcmp=obinsite

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
I hope Obama goes down in history as the worst US president evar.
That is, if the media will allow him to be remembered for what he did (actually, didnt do), and not as they "wanted him to be".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #302 on: May 19, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
I hope Obama goes down in history as the worst US president evar.
That is, if the media will allow him to be remembered for what he did (actually, didnt do), and not as they "wanted him to be".

Worst ever?  He's like the fourth best ever.  Did you see that thread a while back where he put himself in rarefied air?  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
Good commentary. 

Media hysteria a sign Obama's in trouble

I love the definition of 'hysteria' these days. 

Oh, they're being mean to obama this week and suddenly it's hysteria.  No, 911 was hysteria.  Shock n Awe as we destroyed baghdad was hysteria.

Fox writes a piece on how everyone is poo-poo'ing obama and suddenly its hysteria.  a tad dramatic.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
Worst ever?  He's like the fourth best ever.  Did you see that thread a while back where he put himself in rarefied air?  
Oh yeah, I forgot.

Its weird though, I cant really recall ever hearing any other president in history try and claim how great of a president they were... especially not the ones that would be considered our Presidential "greats", like Washington or Lincoln.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
I love the definition of 'hysteria' these days. 

Oh, they're being mean to obama this week and suddenly it's hysteria.  No, 911 was hysteria.  Shock n Awe as we destroyed baghdad was hysteria.

Fox writes a piece on how everyone is poo-poo'ing obama and suddenly its hysteria.  a tad dramatic.
Doesnt suprise me your in here on full damage control for Obama.

Que
"He's an illegal kenyan"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #306 on: May 19, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot.

Its weird though, I cant really recall ever hearing any other president in history try and claim how great of a president they were... especially not the ones that would be considered our Presidential "greats", like Washington or Lincoln.

I don't remember it happening either.  He thinks way too highly of himself. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #307 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
A CNN anchor compared Romney’s statement that “marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman” to George Wallace’s statement in 1963 that he favored “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.”

Really? That's taking it a wee bit too far.

An MSNBC guest compared Ann Romney to Hitler and Stalin.

I don't watch MSNBC, but I call bullshit. I just find it hard to believe that such a statement was actually made and this isn't media hyperbole in taking something and playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with it. Do we actually have the specific, actual quote in question, because I can't think of any context in which such a comparison would make sense except perhaps to say that "Ann Romney shares a common trait with Hitler and Stalin: they are all genetically human!!!"

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2012, 04:44:17 PM »

I don't watch MSNBC, but I call bullshit. I just find it hard to believe that such a statement was actually made and this isn't media hyperbole in taking something and playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with it. Do we actually have the specific, actual quote in question, because I can't think of any context in which such a comparison would make sense except perhaps to say that "Ann Romney shares a common trait with Hitler and Stalin: they are all genetically human!!!"

You avatar is the lulz.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »

I don't know, but would not surprise me at all.  You should read the left-wing hate speech thread.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
I don't know, but would not surprise me at all.  You should read the left-wing hate speech thread.
It might be hard to find considering the fact that there are 500-1000 right-wing hate speech threads, most started by you know who.

G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »
It might be hard to find considering the fact that there are 500-1000 right-wing hate speech threads, most started by you know who.
hateful rhetoric comes from both sides, but only one side denies that fact...

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
Is that natural?

G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
Is that natural?
sure is, its very natural to project negative attributes on to others while justifying the same behavior when you do it.

Ever been cut off on the road before and thought to yourself, "that persons an ass hole"?

ever been running late and cut someone off and thought to yourself "im running late so I have to" or "I wouldnt have cut them off if they werent going so slow"?

you project negative attributes on others and excuse your behavior with situational circumstances.

Although a person who is self aware realizes this and will correct it, I guess there just arent that many self aware ppl on that one side eh?

Lesson over, now you can say you learned something from getbig

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #314 on: May 19, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »
sure is, its very natural to project negative attributes on to others while justifying the same behavior when you do it.

Ever been cut off on the road before and thought to yourself, "that persons an ass hole"?

ever been running late and cut someone off and thought to yourself "im running late so I have to" or "I wouldnt have cut them off if they werent going so slow"?

you project negative attributes on others and excuse your behavior with situational circumstances.

Although a person who is self aware realizes this and will correct it, I guess there just arent that many self aware ppl on that one side eh?

Right. The side you disagree with is inferior. Give me some more statements like this.

All liberals believe...

Why do libs always....?

You're very enlightening.
G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Right. The side you disagree with is inferior. Give me some more statements like this.

All liberals believe...

Why do libs always....?

You're very enlightening.
LMAO I never said they were inferior, do you often put words in other ppls mouths?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
LMAO I never said they were inferior, do you often put words in other ppls mouths?

Are you drunk?

Try keeping up with the conversation.

G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2012, 08:32:57 PM »
Are you drunk?

Can you give me three things you think Obama deserves a second term on? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »
Are you drunk?

LOL not at all, are you inferring I said someone was inferior?

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »

Yeah that was stupid. I saw that clip. Even if the two were comparable, what's his point? In 200 years poeple might think Im immoral for eating meat.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »

Well said.   :)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »

G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
and you got that I feel that one side is inferior?

so does that mean you feel that ppl who dont believe in gay marriage are inferior to you then?

or are they just differences in opinion?

a difference of opinion doesnt mean the other side is inferior, is that something liberals believe?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Biden's Words Fall on Deaf Ears in Ohio
Townhall.com ^ | May 20, 2012 | Salena Zito
Posted on May 20, 2012 7:30:07 AM EDT by Kaslin

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Dave Betras is known in “The Valley” for his colorful language and his political antics and drama. Last Wednesday, however, when Vice President Joe Biden visited a local industrial park, Betras was all about numbers.

“Oh, the valley is going to turn out big for Barack Obama this year, big!” he said, spreading his arms wide for emphasis. The chairman of Mahoning County’s Democrats pointed to the shipping warehouse of M7 Technologies, a local manufacturer, filled with people waiting to hear Biden speak. “Turn-out like today, a full room,” Betras, 52, said.

If his job is to turn out Obama supporters on Election Day, he may want to check on their allegiances before he buses them to the polls. Many of the Youngstown attendees at Biden’s event do not support him or the president.

Bob McClain and his wife, Myra, went to M7 Technologies to support their friend’s family business. Neither supports the Obama-Biden ticket.

“We are friends of the owners – that is why we came, to show support for the Garvey family,” said McClain. At 71, he’s retired but volunteers full-time as a counselor for Mahoning Valley small-business owners.

“Our vote is going for who is best to lead on the economy. That is Romney, for us,” said Myra as her husband nodded.

Richard Furillo stood with his son Matthew at his son’s place of employment; a lifelong Democrat, he voted for Obama in 2008 but won’t again. “I don't know why I did it but I cannot stand anymore ‘change,’ ” he said, referring to the president’s old campaign slogan.

Father and son both said they attended the event to support the company.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see a sitting vice president,” added Matthew, also a Democrat. He, too, said he will vote for Romney.

Standing beside them, Jeff Cunningham echoed their sentiments: “The biggest challenge in this country is creating jobs that last, jobs that sustain families.” The 36-year-old valley native said his vote will be for Romney.

Montgomery “Monty” Deruyter sat several rows from where Biden stood, addressing the crowd. The 43-year-old father of two started working at M7 as a machinist two months ago; uncertainty is driving him to favor Romney.

“I hold both parties at arm’s length but trust Romney’s business skills to lead on the economy,” he said.

They were only five of more than a score of people interviewed who said they will not vote for Obama in November; they were the audience members not captured by TV cameras, who sat respectfully during Biden’s 30-minute populist speech while the party faithful – gathered up and bused in by Betras – leaped up every time Biden’s voice pitched several decibels.

Even then, discontent was voiced among those faithful – and worry that some of the community have no reason to vote for the president next fall.

Joe Louis Teague, 70, a black community icon who has run several failed campaigns for local office, is in charge of coordinating the Obama campaign’s voter registration in the Mahoning Valley. He is worried about the black vote because “people are discouraged.”

Black-on-black crime is out of control; drugs and poor parenting are at the heart of that problem, he said.

“I am going to be honest, I think he could have done more,” he said of the first black president’s attention to the black community. “I think he needs to do more.”

As Biden switched between fiery class-warfare rhetoric and whispers about his upbringing in neighboring Pennsylvania, two things stood out: no mention of coal or Marcellus shale natural gas – the resources that are bringing prosperity back to this region – and his rhetoric about middle-class resentment.

“They don’t get it! They don’t get who we are!” he shouted after one pitch about how Republicans don't understand the little guy in places such as Ohio and Pennsylvania.

That’s an interesting take from Biden, considering Obama's “understanding” of those same gun- and Bible-clinging embittered voters that he famously described at a high-dollar San Francisco fundraiser in 2008.

It probably is why last week’s Quinnipiac poll showed only one percentage point advantage for Barack Obama over Mitt Romney in the Buckeye State.