Author Topic: Most revolutionary tag teams of all time!!!  (Read 12189 times)

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
Most revolutionary tag teams of all time!!!
« on: December 11, 2009, 01:22:47 AM »
Who are the greatest tag teams of all time? Sure, there were many great tag teams during the history of wrestling that made an impact. But I feel these four teams revolutionized the sport so much that they changed the face of wrestling and beyond. It comes down to impact, chemistry, influence, innovation and of course, charisma!! It is in those categories that truly make a great team in the world of wrestling (not titles, which so many think). It's these traits that bring wrestling to the media and the world and capture the imagination of fans that they keep them coming back for more!!

1. Legion of Doom, Road Warriors Hawk and Animal:

They brought in the stylized face paint, haircuts and overall look to wrestling that everybody copied and it became a major fad in the mid 80's onto the late 90's that every promotion was trying to capitalize on. They were the first real deal, scary, steroid-sized monsters that moved and worked like no other team before them (their press and slam had more of an impact on the crowd than any other wrestler who ever did the move before them and only a few since has been able to duplicate it's aura. It should also be noted that both Hawk or Animal had never been pressed by another wrestler due to respect). They had an aura of invincibility that few could ever match in the entire history of wrestling (almost on par with Andre). They didn't lose a match by a pinfall for almost 6 years straight and either Hawk or Animal has never been submitted in a match. They were one of the only tag teams in history that was main event status and the ONLY team ever that promotions had to build their talent around. They were the only tag team rated number 1 in every magazine even when they didn't have any titles and they remained number 1 for almost 10 years straight!!! Not to mention they held every title of every major promotion (NWA, AWA, and WWF) at the time and no other team ever duplicated this feat and never will. They were always cool and loved by everyone as heel and baby face and they never changed there style accordingly. Had one of the top 10 greatest managers of all time, Paul Ellering, guide them and together they had absolutely perfect chemistry with each other in the ring or on the mic. And as amazing as that was, the Warriors were so over that when Ellering didn't accompany them to the WWF it didn't even matter. They had such an impression that they won the Georgia tag titles in their VERY FIRST match together and grew from there. It took every other team in wrestling from ALL OVER THE WORLD almost 5 years to even catch up to them and still they were considered the best of the bunch. There reign of dominance and aura lasted for almost 20 years and even when they slowed down at the end of their career, when they entered the ring you still felt they could win the match regardless of what team they were facing. Only a handful of wrestlers who ever lived had that kind of an aura and even less had it at the tail end of their careers. Simply put, they are the standard for any team to match and this will never change.

2.British Bulldogs, Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith:

This team had tremendous charisma and chemistry and brought a style to wrestling that revolutionized the way people did maneuvers in the ring and as a team. Back in the mid 80's you really believed these guys could walk on water and fly through the air, everything was so smooth and made you drop your jaw. Dynamite was the first extreme wrestler (and what I believe to be the best all around "in ring" worker ever, who just lacked solo charisma) and has been copied and studied by many after him. Davey boy had a perfect blend of power and agility that is tremendously underrated. Their impact and chemistry as a team was so good that they are a blueprint on how to do things in the ring and working as a team for other wrestlers. But because of their groundbreaking moves, Dynamite's style gave him and this team a short lived career (it made him a cripple today). Also they never had the charisma on the mic like they did in the ring. When they first appeared in the WWF, they had to be matched with Captain Lou Albano to help give them personality. They are not as successful as many other legendary teams title-wise, but on innovations and chemistry only the Road Warriors did better and this was because they did it for a longer period of time.

3. The Fabulous Freebirds, Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy, and Buddy Rogers:

Coming up in the late 70's in a time in wrestling where all bad guys were booed and all bayfaces were loved. The Freebirds were the very first "cool" heel in the wrestling business period. Hayes knew how to expand their charisma with flashy outfits, attitude, in ring work, mic work (without a doubt he was top 10 on the mic all time) and entrance music (they were the first to do this) that enhanced this team into the public's imagination. They were incredibly innovative and all could work a match and crowd to it's greatest potential. Their feuds with the Von Erich's is one of the the top 10 greatest in the history of wrestling. And this is largely because of the heat and style that the Freebirds brought. They have never rose to the heights as a lot of teams in this business but because of their innovations they were revered and copied on so many levels by other wrestlers after them. If you think I'm wrong, look at the 4 Horsemen, D-Generation, NWO, etc. to see where their blueprints come from. That's how innovative the Freebirds were!!

4. The Steiner Brothers, Rick and Scott Steiner:

No other team since the Road Warriors captured the imagination of fans like these two. It took them a few years to develop, but once they found their groove, they had a HUGE almost 10 year run. And in that run they brought the high impact moves and stylized suplexes to the ring. If you look at all the teams in the 90's you have to give them the edge for that period when they were at their peak. They were the first team to cleanly pin the Road Warriors in a major event at Starcade 89. And they had back and forth matches that both teams would win and lose. Scott Steiner's "Frankenstiener" maneuver also captured the imagination of the crowd and innovated the wrestling world. Their only knock was their lack of mic skills (even though Rick was a lovable character) but their in ring chemistry was so great that it was always overlooked. They had such dominance that they won every major title in every major promotion at the time and no other team had as much success during that period. But as the 90's came to a close so did the Steiners. Scott went on to a mildly successful solo career (who's attitude killed his true potential) and Rick became irrelevant. And despite a few reunions, they never recovered their glory and magic of the 90's. Pro Wrestling Illustrated ranked them as the #2 tag team ever (behind the Road Warriors) but I just don't think their impact and innovations can be ranked higher than the other teams on this list.

Just so you think I haven't left out some legends, here are a few honorable mentions:

Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher
Ole and Gene Anderson
The Rock n Roll Express
The Midnight Express, Dennis Condrey and Bobby Eaton
The Samoans
The Midnight Rockers
The Hart Foundation
Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff
The Outlaws, Dusty Rhodes and Dick Murdock
Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody
Abdullah the Butcher and the Sheik
The Funks
The Briscos
Nick Bockwinkal and Ray Stevens
Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson
Tony Atlas and Rocky Johnson

I'm sure there's more but I'm tired...

Okay guys let's hear what you have to say!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Most revolutionary tag teams of all time!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:20:18 AM »
Great thread...

I always loved Demolition.
Many folks say they were a rip-off of the Road Warriors/LOD, but outside of being big guys with face paint, I think there were enough differences.
Would anyone consider Sting or UW an LOD knock-off?

Few workers could (and can) cut a promo like Bill Eadie.

And it’s not that I don’t like Bryan Adams (RIP), but I just like the ORIGINAL DEMO better.
Always have.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »
I also liked Strike Force – Tito & Martel were both good workers by themselves before the team, and I think they would’ve lasted a bit longer had WWF not had an over-saturation of face teams at the time.

Eddie & Chavo were magnificent due to sheer entertainment value.

Jesse Ventura and Adrian Adonis drew some good heat up in AWA.

I was always surprised the old man didn’t do more with Bundy & Studd. They would have made a GREAT monster heel tag team.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
hans and max mortier were my all time favorites. loved there feuds with the graham brothers.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »
hey where'd the pic go?
F

Skeeter

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
Great topic.  Back when mid-atlantic wrestling still existed, tagteam wrestling was a very big deal.  As a young kid, I remember Steamboat and Youngblood vs Sgt. Slaughter and Pvt Kernodle as being an incredible fued.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:06:24 PM »
The Killer Bees never got a significant push. They were decent, but always seemed to be missing something that the other great 80’s tag teams had.

The original Hart Foundation was always very over as both heels and later on as faces.
Bret years later mentioned that Vince became a fan the first day he & Jim walked into the back wearing their new pink and black ring gear.

I never cared for the Rougeau’s as a kid. As faces I thought they were lame, and as heels I thought they were corny and stupid.

I got to see the Powers of Pain in one of their first matches with the fed.
It was at a house show in Baltimore.
They substituted for another team and faced Strike Force.
Nobody knew who they were, but they got a decent enough reaction.

They didn't stay together long.
I think they were a little too similar to Demolition, who was much more deserving of the gimmick.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »
What about Hulk Hogan an Edge????

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 04:24:51 AM »

1. Legion of Doom, Road Warriors Hawk and Animal:

They brought in the stylized face paint, haircuts and overall look to wrestling that everybody copied and it became a major fad in the mid 80's onto the late 90's that every promotion was trying to capitalize on. They were the first real deal, scary, steroid-sized monsters that moved and worked like no other team before them (their press and slam had more of an impact on the crowd than any other wrestler who ever did the move before them and only a few since has been able to duplicate it's aura. It should also be noted that both Hawk or Animal had never been pressed by another wrestler due to respect). They had an aura of invincibility that few could ever match in the entire history of wrestling (almost on par with Andre). They didn't lose a match by a pinfall for almost 6 years straight and either Hawk or Animal has never been submitted in a match. They were one of the only tag teams in history that was main event status and the ONLY team ever that promotions had to build their talent around. They were the only tag team rated number 1 in every magazine even when they didn't have any titles and they remained number 1 for almost 10 years straight!!! Not to mention they held every title of every major promotion (NWA, AWA, and WWF) at the time and no other team ever duplicated this feat and never will. They were always cool and loved by everyone as heel and baby face and they never changed there style accordingly. Had one of the top 10 greatest managers of all time, Paul Ellering, guide them and together they had absolutely perfect chemistry with each other in the ring or on the mic. And as amazing as that was, the Warriors were so over that when Ellering didn't accompany them to the WWF it didn't even matter. They had such an impression that they won the Georgia tag titles in their VERY FIRST match together and grew from there. It took every other team in wrestling from ALL OVER THE WORLD almost 5 years to even catch up to them and still they were considered the best of the bunch. There reign of dominance and aura lasted for almost 20 years and even when they slowed down at the end of their career, when they entered the ring you still felt they could win the match regardless of what team they were facing. Only a handful of wrestlers who ever lived had that kind of an aura and even less had it at the tail end of their careers. Simply put, they are the standard for any team to match and this will never change.

2.British Bulldogs, Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith:

This team had tremendous charisma and chemistry and brought a style to wrestling that revolutionized the way people did maneuvers in the ring and as a team. Back in the mid 80's you really believed these guys could walk on water and fly through the air, everything was so smooth and made you drop your jaw. Dynamite was the first extreme wrestler (and what I believe to be the best all around "in ring" worker ever, who just lacked solo charisma) and has been copied and studied by many after him. Davey boy had a perfect blend of power and agility that is tremendously underrated. Their impact and chemistry as a team was so good that they are a blueprint on how to do things in the ring and working as a team for other wrestlers. But because of their groundbreaking moves, Dynamite's style gave him and this team a short lived career (it made him a cripple today). Also they never had the charisma on the mic like they did in the ring. When they first appeared in the WWF, they had to be matched with Captain Lou Albano to help give them personality. They are not as successful as many other legendary teams title-wise, but on innovations and chemistry only the Road Warriors did better and this was because they did it for a longer period of time.

3. The Fabulous Freebirds, Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy, and Buddy Rogers:

Coming up in the late 70's in a time in wrestling where all bad guys were booed and all bayfaces were loved. The Freebirds were the very first "cool" heel in the wrestling business period. Hayes knew how to expand their charisma with flashy outfits, attitude, in ring work, mic work (without a doubt he was top 10 on the mic all time) and entrance music (they were the first to do this) that enhanced this team into the public's imagination. They were incredibly innovative and all could work a match and crowd to it's greatest potential. Their feuds with the Von Erich's is one of the the top 10 greatest in the history of wrestling. And this is largely because of the heat and style that the Freebirds brought. They have never rose to the heights as a lot of teams in this business but because of their innovations they were revered and copied on so many levels by other wrestlers after them. If you think I'm wrong, look at the 4 Horsemen, D-Generation, NWO, etc. to see where their blueprints come from. That's how innovative the Freebirds were!!

4. The Steiner Brothers, Rick and Scott Steiner:

No other team since the Road Warriors captured the imagination of fans like these two. It took them a few years to develop, but once they found their groove, they had a HUGE almost 10 year run. And in that run they brought the high impact moves and stylized suplexes to the ring. If you look at all the teams in the 90's you have to give them the edge for that period when they were at their peak. They were the first team to cleanly pin the Road Warriors in a major event at Starcade 89. And they had back and forth matches that both teams would win and lose. Scott Steiner's "Frankenstiener" maneuver also captured the imagination of the crowd and innovated the wrestling world. Their only knock was their lack of mic skills (even though Rick was a lovable character) but their in ring chemistry was so great that it was always overlooked. They had such dominance that they won every major title in every major promotion at the time and no other team had as much success during that period. But as the 90's came to a close so did the Steiners. Scott went on to a mildly successful solo career (who's attitude killed his true potential) and Rick became irrelevant. And despite a few reunions, they never recovered their glory and magic of the 90's. Pro Wrestling Illustrated ranked them as the #2 tag team ever (behind the Road Warriors) but I just don't think their impact and innovations can be ranked higher than the other teams on this list.

Alot of teams that you guys are mentioning are awesome. Demolition, Powers of Pain, East West Connection, Strike Force, Killer Bees, High Flyers, Steamboat and Youngblood, Doom, The Russians, The Moondogs,  etc., etc. But if you look at the four teams mentioned you will see that they're impact, innovations, chemistry, charisma, style and influence were undeniable and were the blueprint for everything else that came after. There are many teams that came out and did things before others but their impact on the sport didn't create change or innovation. The four teams above did that and made the wrestling world follow them (think of the Beatles and how they changed music, everyone needed to sound like them or try to be as good). It's a shame that some teams who did copy them had better success because they may have done it better or got better exposure to it.

Skeeter

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »
I always like High Energy. (Owen Hart and Koko B Ware)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
One that insn't mentioned  that i really like is:
The Hollywood Blondes- I loved their feud with the Horseman and their "Flair for the Old" stuff. A good match with Douglas/Steamboat

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »
One of the best matches i've ever seen IMO. Bret and Owen vs Steiners

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »
2 things I noticed from that Steiner's vs the Hart's match.

1. How the Steiner's were muscling the Hart's at the beginning of the match and showing them who's boss.

2. How well Scott Steiner could move and work a match. After his steroid increase and extra muscle mass he couldn't even move. He has changed so much that he doesn't even seem like the same person.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 12:32:43 AM »
One of the best matches i've ever seen IMO. Bret and Owen vs Steiners

Great find. You don't see matches like this, anymore.

In the last clip, at about the 6:45 mark, Gorilla starts going off on Pat Patterson. Absolutely hilarious.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47:18 AM »
I remember when the Steiners first came to the Federation. Scott Steiner still has got to be the biggest suplex monster I've ever seen. This guy was throwing slams on people like I've never seen before. Then that Frankensteiner head scissor flip thing. I cannot believe that Poppa Pump fella is the same guy.

Unbelievable how awesome Scott Steiner was. Those move were so explosive and incredible, too bad he faded away and burned out.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 04:54:26 AM »
Great thread. I always loved the tag team divisions of the eighties. Seems like there are no tag teams anymore. My favorite was always the British Bulldogs. They were so inventive back in the day.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
Great thread. I always loved the tag team divisions of the eighties. Seems like there are no tag teams anymore. My favorite was always the British Bulldogs. They were so inventive back in the day.

Welcome back, brother.
Haven't seen you in a while - was starting to get worried.

You're 1/5 of our wrestling board!

;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:10 AM »
Welcome back, brother.
Haven't seen you in a while - was starting to get worried.

You're 1/5 of our wrestling board!

;D
Thanks, brother. I took a weeks vacation and just did shit around the house. Put up a shandelier and watched my horseman dvd amoungst others :)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »
Any other Quebecer fans here? Very under appreciated IMO

Great Finisher..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48rvu_the-quebecers-vs-marty-jannetty-123_sport

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »
Any other Quebecer fans here? Very under appreciated IMO

Great Finisher..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48rvu_the-quebecers-vs-marty-jannetty-123_sport

I am dude. Jaques Rougues and Peirre Oulette are / were very underated. They all trained under Emil Dupree's territory in the eastern provinces of Canada before heading to the WWE rings. They are all highly trained and skilled

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »

Welcome back Playboy.

This is why the British Bulldogs are number 2. Their moves were so far above anything the wrestling world was doing at the time that their greatness cannot be denied. Sure, Dynamite Kid was mostly the reason for this but he blended together so good with Davey Boy that their chemistry was almost magical. Only the Road Warriors can claim to do it better than the Bulldogs.

As for today, wrestling is a funny joke. The 80's were wrestling, period.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »

Welcome back Playboy.

This is why the British Bulldogs are number 2. Their moves were so far above anything the wrestling world was doing at the time that their greatness cannot be denied. Sure, Dynamite Kid was mostly the reason for this but he blended together so good with Davey Boy that their chemistry was almost magical. Only the Road Warriors can claim to do it better than the Bulldogs.

As for today, wrestling is a funny joke. The 80's were wrestling, period.
Thanks, Indie-lad.
I'll never forget the eighties tag division. I still remember freaking out when Dynamite kid superplexed a jobber for the first time. The crowed was awstruck.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:56 PM »
The first time I ever saw a top rope superplex was when Dynamite did it to Randy Savage at that Wrestling Challenge tournament back in 1985(?) were the Junkyard Dog won when he beat Savage in the finals. I can clearly remember as a kid saying that was so awesome that it was scary. I really got chills from it.

Like I said in the original post, Dynamite Kid was the first extreme wrestler and best in ring worker ever. Put him with Davey Boy and you have the second best tag team of all time.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 04:29:21 AM »
Speaking of tag teams, what do you guys think of the Hart Dynasty? David Hart Smith & Tyson Kid?  They are quite young and still have a long future ahead of them. Tyson Kid was trained by Brett Hart and David Hart Smith is just like his old man Davey Boy. Any thoughts?