Author Topic: Hillary Clinton Raises Prospect Of Resignation  (Read 621 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Hillary Clinton Raises Prospect Of Resignation
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
GOODBYE!!!

Hillary Clinton raises prospect of resignation

Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, has complained of the tiring natue of her job and said she will step back from the role before the end of Barack Obama's presidency.

Mrs Clinton said she would not serve a full eight years if President Barack Obama is re-elected in 2012. There has been speculation in America that Mrs Clinton could resign to run for the governor's post in New York but she said she wanted to retire to writing and teaching.

The former First Lady, who has spent two decades in the national spotlight and narrowly lost her own bid to be president in 2008, said she enjoyed her job as the top US diplomat but found it physically grueling.

Asked if she would serve eight years, she replied: "No, I really can't."

"The whole eight - that would be very challenging," she said in the interview broadcast on television.

"It's a 24-7 job and I think at some point, I will be very happy to pass it on to someone else."

Mrs Clinton repeated that she would not run again for president, saying she wanted a private life.

"There are so many things I'm interested in, really going back to private life and spending time reading and writing and maybe teaching. Maybe some personal travel - not the kind of travel where you bring a couple of hundred people with you," she said.

Mrs Clinton said she also hoped throughout her life to be a strong advocate for the rights of women and girls.

Secretaries of state have rarely served more than one presidential term, although George Shultz was in office for six and a half years under Ronald Reagan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7090944/Hillary-Clinton-raises-prospect-of-resignation.html
C

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Hillary Clinton Raises Prospect Of Resignation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
great misleading headline (not your fault - you just copied it from the  Telepgraph).

sounds more like she's saying she most likely wouldn't serve a full 8 years though if you only read the headline you'd think she announced she was leaving next week

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »
I dont think she will serve 4 years because I think she will run against Obama.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »
I dont think she will serve 4 years because I think she will run against Obama.

excellent powers of observation as usual:

Asked if she would serve eight years, she replied: "No, I really can't."

"The whole eight - that would be very challenging," she said in the interview broadcast on television.

"It's a 24-7 job and I think at some point, I will be very happy to pass it on to someone else."

Mrs Clinton repeated that she would not run again for president, saying she wanted a private life.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
She needs to consult with Bill and see what he thinks before she does anything.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
She needs to consult with Bill and see what he thinks before she does anything.

She probably knows some seriously bad times are ahead. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
Quick!  Name the last Secretary of State to serve out two full terms in office?  I bet you can’t do it.  The job is a formula for burn out.  You have to travel—a lot and that gets old real fast, even when you are flying in what is essentially a private luxury jet.  And that is on top of the work itself which is akin to being inside a pressure cooker.  You have to be a foreign policy wonk who loves putting out fires all around the world to want that job.  I believe George P. Shultz is the longest serving Secretary of State in recent history.  He held the job from 1982-89.