Author Topic: supersets  (Read 2553 times)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
supersets
« on: January 22, 2006, 08:17:22 PM »
what do you think about supersets? sometimes i really like them, i'll even do supersets for calves, or super drop sets as well. some people say don't because it gets your heart rate up and its just better to do straight sets but when ever i throw a superset in my routine i find it really gets blood in the muscle and im really sore the next day.
bodybuildersreality.com

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: supersets
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »
i use superset/compound sets when i dont have enough time to have a full workout session. supersets are good to shock a body to grow... some ppl enough put supersets in to their weekly routine..for superset arms (tris and bis) but supersets, tri sets and giantset are all great ideas

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »
I love supersets, do them all the time for every single muscle. Tri sets and giant sets as well. I love the intensity.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »
Supersets are fine and a good tool, but no need to build your routine around them. I especially like them when dieting, or when I am just plain pressed for time. But more then supersets my favorite thing is drop sets, I'll throw these in pretty regularly, even for legs... there is nothing in this world more brutal than a triple drop set for squats.

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:40:07 PM »
Supersets are fine and a good tool, but no need to build your routine around them. I especially like them when dieting, or when I am just plain pressed for time. But more then supersets my favorite thing is drop sets, I'll throw these in pretty regularly, even for legs... there is nothing in this world more brutal than a triple drop set for squats.

oh hell yea, Legs for me was just Saturday, I did a few drop sets with Squats and damn, talk about wantin to pass out. Feels good though, gotta love the intensity.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 09:41:01 PM »
that is true! sometimes i'll go and do a heavy set of leg extenions and then do a drop set on that straight into a heavy set of squats and then drop set on the squats...also drop sets on legpresses are awesome if you have a partner or 2 to take off plates for you.
bodybuildersreality.com

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 03:21:02 AM »
I always superset opposing muscle groups to save time, because i sometimes have to wait for bench or machine even with supersets, my routine takes about an hour.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 05:48:33 AM »
For intensity, compound supersets of two exercises for the same muscle's easily as good as drop sets. Especially if a couple of partial reps are thrown in after reaching failure. Likewise with tri-sets & giant sets.

Standard supersets of opposing muscles' main advantage is in saving time IMO.

Might be better to use compound supersets some but  of the time,  to keep the muscles off balance. Some use them all the time and get great results.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »
I always superset opposing muscle groups to save time, because i sometimes have to wait for bench or machine even with supersets, my routine takes about an hour.

davie
an hour of supersets! wow.
bodybuildersreality.com

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
I do them ever so often......always good to mix things up.

Jr. Yates, you still doing 6 days on 1 day off?  Did that this week for the first time........took Sunday off and I was fricken beat from working out 6 days in a row.  This working good for you?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »
I do them ever so often......always good to mix things up.

Jr. Yates, you still doing 6 days on 1 day off?  Did that this week for the first time........took Sunday off and I was fricken beat from working out 6 days in a row.  This working good for you?
actually it is....well for arms thats why im doing it....but like i said the second arm workout which comes at the end of my routine now...its a saturday.....that workout is kinda like an offday...just a 20 min arm workout....superset a bi excercise with a tri. 3 sets....3 different supersets.
ex- my last one was preacher curls reps of 20 into straight bar pulldowns reps of 15 3 times
-next was simultaneous dumbell curls seated into overhead dumbell extensions
-last was cable curls into rope pulldowns and thats it done!

my regular heavy arm day i train Tris first for about half hour then bis for 15 mins all heavy reps of 6
bodybuildersreality.com

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 01:50:31 PM »
problem with doing supersets all of the time is that they lose their meaning as a shock technique, i don't think they're good for putting on size because you can't use as much weight, straight sets put on the most size in my experience.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 01:57:59 PM »
what do you think about supersets? sometimes i really like them, i'll even do supersets for calves, or super drop sets as well. some people say don't because it gets your heart rate up and its just better to do straight sets but when ever i throw a superset in my routine i find it really gets blood in the muscle and im really sore the next day.

Unless you're fat and out of shape, getting your heart rate up shouldn't be a concern.  Obviously you don't want to do something like supersetting benches and deads, etc.  But I find it saves time and works well to superset calves and traps to end my back/shoulder day, for example.  Sometimes i'll superset bi's and tri's at the end of my arm workout.  It's not exactly my go-to training technique, but i do it on some exercises and finishers to save time.
:-)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »
alright it seems most of you guys use them to save time....they do make the workout go quick! i've always just used them to get lots of blood in the muscle....sometimes i use a superset in a regular workout.
bodybuildersreality.com