Author Topic: The end of the Weider era.  (Read 14933 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: The end of the Weider era.
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
Me too,also the "you know two things........jack and shit"
! :)
Plus the old, "if you stood sideways and stuck out your tongue,you`d look like a zipper"! LOL  :)

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

LOL....please.....I'd knock your head clean off that stack of dimes you call a neck.

Another internet toughguy....

Bottom line is, you're talking out of your ass...you dont have a clue as to what you're talking about...you talk shit about bodybuilding and bodybuilders, yet stalk a bodybuilding site for hours on end...

LOSER
Brutal.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »
Joe and Ben accomplished a lot and built an empire from very humble origins. My father, who was a champion golfer in the 50's and also the first golfer to lift heavy weights as well, appeared on one of Weider's early Muscle Builder magazines. Joe and Ben were always decent to me, in fact Joe invited me out to California when I was 15 and arranged for me to  train with Mike Mentzer.  He's always taken the time to talk to me or my dad at all the Olympias I've been to. In other words, we're people that he has nothing to benefit by, no business deals, or promotions, and still he's a decent guy. Yes, I know Joe was a ruthless businessman, so are most businessman that clawed their way up. And I've never seen any evidence of the Weider's supposed gayness and sodomizing upcoming champs. I find that hard to believe. Love them or hate them, their accomplishments deserve respect.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
Good post ^

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »

LOL....please.....I'd knock your head clean off that stack of dimes you call a neck.

Another internet toughguy....

Bottom line is, you're talking out of your ass...you dont have a clue as to what you're talking about...you talk shit about bodybuilding and bodybuilders, yet stalk a bodybuilding site for hours on end...

LOSER
::)

calm down Chick ... you are talking shit to save face...now you're a cage fighter ?  :D :D :D

I love bodybuilding ad that's why I post here

I would also love to see bodybuilding freeof homo shit, narcotics and politics ....we need to get rid of the weider monopoly, get rid of the scums like you, lap dogs who sit/stand and bark on command ..

BITCH

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
::)

calm down Chick ... you are talking shit to save face...now you're a cage fighter ?  :D :D :D

I love bodybuilding ad that's why I post here

I would also love to see bodybuilding freeof homo shit, narcotics and politics ....we need to get rid of the weider monopoly, get rid of the scums like you, lap dogs who sit/stand and bark on command ..

BITCH

i suggest you stay your big mouth out of venice... remember teh chick has law enforcement training.. he would beat the dog shot out of you son...

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2008, 02:07:02 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"remember teh chick has law enforcement training"

I'm fucking terrified .... :D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"remember teh chick has law enforcement training"

I'm fucking terrified .... :D

you little as shit though...i would beat your ass off straight stregth size and aggression...chick has all that and formal training...your ass= kicked

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
 :D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
you little as shit though...i would beat your ass off straight stregth size and aggression...chick has all that and formal training...your ass= kicked
aahahahahha...that's rich ...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
So what if a guy, travels to strangers funerals, takes pictures of himself in cages, defends the morbidly obese, takes pictures of children on the beach and is obsessed with a black homosexual? That's normal, right?

LOL! Shows you guys read my posts and that is all that matters.

You know, I wonder about Chick being the appointed athletes' rep. There he was in his latest fashion outfit MCing the Olympia. WTH is that? How can he represent the athletes and do that job? He could have been backstage to make sure the competitors were okay. His role as a commentator on radio is also a conflict of interests.

I don't expect Chick to bite the hand that feeds him. The IFBB MO is based on the weakness in human nature. Long ago Ben and Joe concluded that muscleheads are dumbbells. Those who were not dopes could be manipulated to feed their egos. Give them trophies, features and covers in magazines, and titles and forget about money. The Weiders became master manipulators and recruited like-minded associates and stooges to help them. A blue blazer and official recognition kept them loyal. It is amazing how loyal the officials are. No one speaks out of line. How is that possible in such a controversial, subjective sport? Even the outspoken Steve W from NY has become an insider and tows the line. I never thought a guy who could challenge an audience to fight him would ever do that. Shows you what I know.

Bob has benefitted from associating with businesses involved in the sport. He has been groomed by JM to know what to say and when to say it. His background as an assistant sheriff comes in handy to deal with trespassers and people causing a public nuisance. He feels he is quite able to break the necks of hapless, smaller muscleheads but can he silence them with his keyboard? He has no hope in hell of succeeding and well he knows it. Thus, witness his recourse to the use of insults to embarrass others. He suggests that I haven't achieved much in the sport. That coming from an athletes rep! How pathetic, Chick, to say that about a former IFBB champion bodybuilder on the internet.

There is no argument about the fact that the Weiders have dominated the sport of bodybuilding. Where the sport will go now is a good question. Ben would hope his dear IFBB will endure and be a monument to him and Joe. Let us all hope that the intentions that were beneficial to bodybuilders will evolve. It is about time the bodybuilders were number one and not any administrators or organization.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 03:44:12 PM »
LOL! Shows you guys read my posts and that is all that matters.

You know, I wonder about Chick being the appointed athletes' rep. There he was in his latest fashion outfit MCing the Olympia. WTH is that? How can he represent the athletes and do that job? He could have been backstage to make sure the competitors were okay. His role as a commentator on radio is also a conflict of interests.

I don't expect Chick to bite the hand that feeds him. The IFBB MO is based on the weakness in human nature. Long ago Ben and Joe concluded that muscleheads are dumbbells. Those who were not dopes could be manipulated to feed their egos. Give them trophies, features and covers in magazines, and titles and forget about money. The Weiders became master manipulators and recruited like-minded associates and stooges to help them. A blue blazer and official recognition kept them loyal. It is amazing how loyal the officials are. No one speaks out of line. How is that possible in such a controversial, subjective sport? Even the outspoken Steve W from NY has become an insider and tows the line. I never thought a guy who could challenge an audience to fight him would ever do that. Shows you what I know.

Bob has benefitted from associating with businesses involved in the sport. He has been groomed by JM to know what to say and when to say it. His background as an assistant sheriff comes in handy to deal with trespassers and people causing a public nuisance. He feels he is quite able to break the necks of hapless, smaller muscleheads but can he silence them with his keyboard? He has no hope in hell of succeeding and well he knows it. Thus, witness his recourse to the use of insults to embarrass others. He suggests that I haven't achieved much in the sport. That coming from an athletes rep! How pathetic, Chick, to say that about a former IFBB champion bodybuilder on the internet.

There is no argument about the fact that the Weiders have dominated the sport of bodybuilding. Where the sport will go now is a good question. Ben would hope his dear IFBB will endure and be a monument to him and Joe. Let us all hope that the intentions that were beneficial to bodybuilders will evolve. It is about time they were number one and not any administators or organization.

Maybe a lot of "Muscleheads are dumbells" as you say. But then along comes a guy like Arnold. Joe brings him over, realizing the guy will promote his supplements and magazines, and discovers that Arnold is so bright and motivated, that not only does he help him in the bodybuilding world, but mentors him in business and Real estate investments. Arnold goes on to make a fortune, become famous, etc. Arnold helped Joe, Joe helped Arnold. It's called a symbiotic relationship. So what if Bob Chick is loyal to the people that have recognized his appeal and have helped promote him. That's how successful people get where they are. It's not about kissing ass, it's about showing solidarity with those that help you in life. Losers never learn to use their contacts and they spend their time being negative and malicious..blaming their lack of drive and motivation on others.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »
By the way the book 'Brothers in Iron' is a pretty good read

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »
Arnold is an extremely motivated and resourceful man. Joe brought him out to California in October, 1968. He gave him a job in the Weider warehouse to shift boxes and barbells around. Apparently, Arnold preferred to sun himself on Santa Monica Beach and working out in gyms.

It was Joe Gold who advised Arnold about investing in property. Joe said that a gym was a poor investment because it required long hours and paid little in return. No one could have known how successful the Golds Gym name would become. The fact is nothing would have happened unless shrewd businessmen with a vision took over that name. Joe returned to the gym business and again was successful with World Gym. He even gave Arnold a private parking spot under the building. There was a rumour that Arnold even owned the building and eventually Joe had to move. This is hearsay as I do not know that for sure.

Arnold benefited from bodybuilding by using it to launch his movie career. Most of us were skeptical that he would succeed beyond what handsome Steve Reeves had done in 1959 and 1960 through Hercules movies. I even told him to his face that he would never become a great actor when he was in our apartment in Manly in 1974. He laughed and said he liked when people did that because it made him try harder. Arnold then used his fame to move into politics. Again, most observers felt he wouldn't succeed. They all underestimated Arnold and his appeal to the average guy. Arnold 'wrote' in 'Education of a Bodybuilder' that he never associated with people who couldn't benefit him in some way. You can see how insightful he was using that strategy. He knew who to befriend and who to stay away from. Compare his performance to that of equally gifted Sergio Oliva who didn't have a philosophy of getting ahead through using other people.

The IFBB Mr America was won by Sergio Oliva to much disdain from fellow competitors. Sergio lost to his mate Bob Gajda in the AAU version and knew black men couldn't win that title. Chris Dickerson was the first and that was several years later. While the black men could win the major IFBB titles there is anecdotal evidence from Sergio and Serge Nubret that they were cheated out of titles in the past. Witness the report from Serge Nubret re the 1971 Mr Olympia where Sergio was not allowed to compete because of some ruling. So Sergio was screwed big time and when he was eventually able to compete he placed the usual 8th place that 'undesirables' get. There have been many contests that were controversial where superior black men didn't win. The 72 Olympia is one and perhaps the 75 as well. It was an easy matter to select judges to determine whatever outcomes the principals desired.

It was a travesty what happened to Mike Mentzer. Many felt he was considered an outsider because he didn't endorse the Weider principles. Surely Mike and perhaps Arthur Jones came to despise what the IFBB did to many champions. Robby Robinson also has gripes that won't go away. We can only imagine the promises that were not kept to these guys.

I was looking at a Youtube video of the great Sergio Oliva winning a contest way back when. The guy was unbelievable to his contemporaries and still is amazing today. There he was winning that show and being his huge, muscular self. All he got was his arm raised and some shiny trophy! Was that all that they wanted in those days? Quite amazing when you remember that Larry Scott was considered a god when he won in New York in 1965. The crowd chanted, 'Larry, Larry, Larry......' endlessly and loudly. He took home a smile, silver plate and $1000 in cash. Larry has a degree in engineering so remains one of the most intelligent Mr Olympias ever.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
So I guess there are some sour grapes on my part. In Australia we have Paul Graham running the IFBB local here and he is there until he no longer wants to do it. That is not democracy. No elections just the same thing year after year. He doesn't listen and doesn't have to listen. What has happened is the sport has stagnated and has even gone underground. Look at how many gyms there are in Sydney and elsewhere. Where are the crowds at contests? A mystery.

My hope is that a new wind sweeps the old out and makes a better sport when those who are capable are involved. Ben created an establishment that will be very difficult to dislodge. He, clearly, knows the muscleheads well. They follow like sheep. They dance around the stage for peanuts. Well done as a business plan. Too bad for the sport.

Here you go again Vince, you just have to mention Paul in your stories.

When was the last time you attended a contest? How do you know if the venues are full or not?

I MCed Paul's contest on the weekend, we had 116 competitors from every state, full house at finals over 2 days. Paul made a very emotional speech to the audience followed by a minutes silence for Ben. The packed crowd appreciated it and were very respectful of this sad passing. Why you would use this time to talk about yourself is beyond belief. We had Dennis Wolf guest posing, he was fantastic and the fans were rapt. I even did a interview with Lee, who is very happy to be back in IFBB and will compete in our Aussie show March 14th. Maybe you should try going to a show Vince, alot has changed since you placed dead last in your final showing. You need to get over it and move on.

RIP Ben.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »
Here you go again Vince, you just have to mention Paul in your stories.

When was the last time you attended a contest? How do you know if the venues are full or not?

I MCed Paul's contest on the weekend, we had 116 competitors from every state, full house at finals over 2 days. Paul made a very emotional speech to the audience followed by a minutes silence for Ben. The packed crowd appreciated it and were very respectful of this sad passing. Why you would use this time to talk about yourself is beyond belief. We had Dennis Wolf guest posing, he was fantastic and the fans were rapt. I even did a interview with Lee, who is very happy to be back in IFBB and will compete in our Aussie show March 14th. Maybe you should try going to a show Vince, alot has changed since you placed dead last in your final showing. You need to get over it and move on.

RIP Ben.
Belief has nothing to do with it.  :D

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »
Belief has nothing to do with it.  :D

True, I was looking for the right word but "delusional" has been used for Vince so much that it has lost it's impact.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »
I am not the messiah of muscle but I have had a gym in Sydney since August 1971. I have seen a lot of crap go on in bodybuilding in Australia. In those days there was just one Mr Australia. Compare that with what we have today. All the gyms would go to the contests. We won several of Paul's Best Support Gym trophies and did so at the 1980 Mr Olympia when we sold 200 tickets at $35 each. Paul said there wasn't time to present that trophy which was one of the largest on stage. In 1975 Paul placed me last in the Mr Australia contest as did Arnold. For showing bias and malintent I would have banned both of those individuals for life from having anything to do with bodybuilding contests.

Paul may well have done a lot in Australia and NSW re bodybuilding but that is partly because he has a monopoly on staging IFBB contests. Since the bodybuilders want to win those contests, Paul has a lot of power. I find it difficult to give Paul any money to attend his contests. Others have found it is impossible to remove him from his position. Whatever he runs it is not a democratic sporting organization.

Why a Melbourne gym owner would criticize another gym owner is beyond me. Unless the same things have happened to you I suggest you consider what you are saying. That you find support by the party faithful is not surprising because of the stirrers on Getbig, but that is hardly evidence that you are right.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
So what if a guy, travels to strangers funerals, takes pictures of himself in cages, defends the morbidly obese, takes pictures of children on the beach and is obsessed with a black homosexual? That's normal, right?

what does pumphard have to do with any of this? ;D

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »
Some epic battles being fought in this thread!

HBeef

• Getbig II
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
Those who have not been around for a very long time probably missed all the old magazine wars and even editorials. The magazines were not very big in the old days. Your Physique, Muscle Builder, Ironman, Strength and Health, and Health and Strength were read 'cover to cover'. The man on the float who gets my vote is the Weider trained man. Days of good tasting Protein 101 until the Food people came down hard on false labelling.

Joe trained everyone. When he appeared in public at many contests he was booed. He was upset and asked former editor Bill Reynolds why they booed him. Maybe Joe never understood. If he were young and posted like that on Getbig he would be roasted more than Goodrum! Something about overdoing the expert thing. Oh, Joe was and is a big fan of bodybuilding. He told me in 1980 that all the Mr Olympias were his champions so he didn't care who won the title. That is probably true. I have no beef against Joe. Ben, however originated the rules and procedures for the IFBB and there is a lot that can be criticized about that organization. It has never been run by proper bodybuilders. Businessmen and business tactics rule that group. Jobs for the boys like a dictator would run an army. Obey and be rewarded. Disobey and be punished. Ben lived to see hapless, outspoken Lee Priest booted out for 2 long years. WTF was that all about? To me it was all misguided ego interferring in the sport of bodybuilding. The best should be allowed to compete in the Olympia. That was Joe's vision. It has failed to live up to that because of fear of losing an empire. Napoleon failed in the end and perhaps the IFBB didn't achieve what was hoped. No Olympic games. No public respect.

When I started bodybuilding I guess I dreamed of making it to the cover of a magazine. I have taken photos that made covers but that is all. I haven't been featured in an article in one of those magazines, either, so I guess I join Lee and others who aren't rewarded suitably because of our attitudes and our inability to kiss butt appropriately. Somehow we thought being he-men stood for having guts and not being meek. What a breed most bodybuilders have become.

So I guess there are some sour grapes on my part. In Australia we have Paul Graham running the IFBB local here and he is there until he no longer wants to do it. That is not democracy. No elections just the same thing year after year. He doesn't listen and doesn't have to listen. What has happened is the sport has stagnated and has even gone underground. Look at how many gyms there are in Sydney and elsewhere. Where are the crowds at contests? A mystery.

My hope is that a new wind sweeps the old out and makes a better sport when those who are capable are involved. Ben created an establishment that will be very difficult to dislodge. He, clearly, knows the muscleheads well. They follow like sheep. They dance around the stage for peanuts. Well done as a business plan. Too bad for the sport.

I think Frank Zane was right on the money with the comments about Disneyland . . . this old fart is fucked.  This guy never had a physique which was worthy of a cover or an article.

I thought Paul was dead.

PH LLB

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
Those who have not been around for a very long time probably missed all the old magazine wars and even editorials. The magazines were not very big in the old days. Your Physique, Muscle Builder, Ironman, Strength and Health, and Health and Strength were read 'cover to cover'. The man on the float who gets my vote is the Weider trained man. Days of good tasting Protein 101 until the Food people came down hard on false labelling.

Joe trained everyone. When he appeared in public at many contests he was booed. He was upset and asked former editor Bill Reynolds why they booed him. Maybe Joe never understood. If he were young and posted like that on Getbig he would be roasted more than Goodrum! Something about overdoing the expert thing. Oh, Joe was and is a big fan of bodybuilding. He told me in 1980 that all the Mr Olympias were his champions so he didn't care who won the title. That is probably true. I have no beef against Joe. Ben, however originated the rules and procedures for the IFBB and there is a lot that can be criticized about that organization. It has never been run by proper bodybuilders. Businessmen and business tactics rule that group. Jobs for the boys like a dictator would run an army. Obey and be rewarded. Disobey and be punished. Ben lived to see hapless, outspoken Lee Priest booted out for 2 long years. WTF was that all about? To me it was all misguided ego interferring in the sport of bodybuilding. The best should be allowed to compete in the Olympia. That was Joe's vision. It has failed to live up to that because of fear of losing an empire. Napoleon failed in the end and perhaps the IFBB didn't achieve what was hoped. No Olympic games. No public respect.

When I started bodybuilding I guess I dreamed of making it to the cover of a magazine. I have taken photos that made covers but that is all. I haven't been featured in an article in one of those magazines, either, so I guess I join Lee and others who aren't rewarded suitably because of our attitudes and our inability to kiss butt appropriately. Somehow we thought being he-men stood for having guts and not being meek. What a breed most bodybuilders have become.

Actually, if you read Basile's post backwards...the hidden message appears.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:14 PM »

The amusing thing is what a 'stack of dimes' can do to a big muscleman called Chick. Chick seems to go to a lot of trouble to deal with losers, old guys, and people not in his loop.

Sevastase and me are from the old school and we fear no man!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »
The amusing thing is what a 'stack of dimes' can do to a big muscleman called Chick. Chick seems to go to a lot of trouble to deal with losers, old guys, and people not in his loop.

Sevastase and me are from the old school and we fear no man!

Amazing, Basile.....you actually fit all three profiles...

loser...check.
Old Guy.....check.
People not in the loop.....checkmate.