Author Topic: Favorite chest workouts  (Read 8328 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Favorite chest workouts
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
Are you ready..thighs are my best area, haven't done squats with serious weight in over 25 years, since the early 80s. All the size was built in the last half of the 70s and they stay big just from cardio.

When i did them, the best results were from box squats, reps 8-12. Not too low on reps because the knees will be susceptible to problems, and moderate reps work best for size. For legs you should also sometimes try higher reps and see what that does for you, 15-30 for example. Try both and decide. About 2 minutes between sets. Warmup of 3-5 minutes before all this is key, including stationary bike if possible.

Then add leg press after squats, then some leg curls for hams. 4-5 sets per exercise. I did leg extensions for years and in hindsight don't believe they were worth the effort, just as i say now that less volume's effective in general.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
Are you ready..thighs are my best area, haven't done squats with serious weight in over 25 years, since the early 80s. All the size was built in the last half of the 70s and they stay big just from cardio.

When i did them, the best results were from box squats, reps 8-12. Not too low on reps because the knees will be susceptible to problems, and moderate reps work best for size. For legs you should also sometimes try higher reps and see what that does for you, 15-30 for example. Try both and decide. About 2 minutes between sets. Warmup of 3-5 minutes before all this is key, including stationary bike if possible.

Then add leg press after squats, then some leg curls for hams. 4-5 sets per exercise. I did leg extensions for years and in hindsight don't believe they were worth the effort, just as i say now that less volume's effective in general.

pumpster what would you recommend me doing for my legs? i squated atg but due to a knee problem now i cant go DEEP, maybe a BIT below parallel....i tried squats from parallel and not locking on top and it seemed good.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »
pumpster what would you recommend me doing for my legs? i squated atg but due to a knee problem now i cant go DEEP, maybe a BIT below parallel....i tried squats from parallel and not locking on top and it seemed good.

You have your answer then, do those partials which i believe are as good as anything. With any potential for injury, the importance of good bike/light squat warmup is increased futher, or do leg work right after cardio. Any hint of injury would also lead me to suggest a little higher on the reps, something like 10-15 min. per set as a beginning point, go higher than that if there's any pain. Then add in the other exercises i mentioned after squats.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »
Monday: Bench Press
Week 1- 2 sets x10 reps
Week 2 -2x10
Week 3 - 2x8
Week 4 - 2x8
Week 5 - 2x5
Week 6 - 2x5
Week 7 - 2x5
Week 8 - 2x3
Week 9 - 2x3
Week 10- 2x2
Week 11- 2x2
Week 12- 1x1
Week 13-  Meet or Max
Week 14  REST
 Week 15 Start over.
Monday: 3 sets Triceps pushdowns
-------------------------------
Friday: Bench Press
2 worksets 40% less then Monday
Incline Dummbell press 2x10
Tricep pushdowns 2x10

I stop doing Fridays workout after  week 6

As you can tell I love the K.I.S.S method   ;)

Masters- 50-54
148#

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »
No offense man but i don't find you credible. The idea of less volume was only proposed a short time ago, which means you really didn't give it a serious shot. You really didn't and now i don't believe you. Face it you've got a big-time bias in favor of what you already like-that's the reality.

Me, i've been there done it both with volume and without. What i'm absolutely sure of is that the muscles are just as sore now as when i was wasting time with more work than was necessary. The results are just as good now, probably better.

Have you posted your routine here? Split, frequency, exercises/sets/reps, etc.

If not, could you? Cardio, too. I like your approach, pumpster.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »
last couple chest workouts ive been doing very heavy dumbell press and its ben working great