Author Topic: Dear Diary: a place for fleeting thoughts and daily ponderings.  (Read 49035 times)

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
Re: Dear Diary: a place for fleeting thoughts and daily ponderings.
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2023, 07:10:03 AM »
I love it when fat people get caught out trying to cross a busy road and they're forced to break into an undignified sprint/waddle. Always makes me smile. It's even funnier when they don't attempt to speed up and they get honked at. Move out the way, fucking fat idiot. LOL.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2023, 04:16:56 PM »
Man, insomnia is hitting me hard today. I ran for an hour earlier today and did a big back and arms workout in the evening.Took an Ambien an hour ago, too. Still feel alert and full of energy. Really sucks.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2023, 01:34:06 AM »
Man, insomnia is hitting me hard today. I ran for an hour earlier today and did a big back and arms workout in the evening.Took an Ambien an hour ago, too. Still feel alert and full of energy. Really sucks.
Just sleep when you're tired.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2023, 03:11:50 AM »
Just sleep when you're tired.

I can sometimes do that on weekends and just end up napping through the afternoon, but it fucks up my sleep pattern for days and productivity takes a nosedive, too.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2023, 12:05:12 AM »
God, sitting through that new movie Babylon last night was a real endurance test. It's actually pissed me off with how long it is. I'm no movie buff and can't be assed trying to construct a thoughtful critique, but it takes a special kind of retard to ruin a movie featuring Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt.

It's over three bloody hours long! The director clearly thought he was crafting some sort of profound depiction of 1920s Hollywood, but ended up delivering a rather empty and self-indulgent bore. It's chaotic and amusing for the first 90 minutes or so, which is how long it should have been, then it just gets painful.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2023, 07:50:02 AM »
Started writing a Best Man speech for the second time in my life now. I fucking hate these things. It turned out perfect last time but I feel as though I've lost my nerve with public speaking these past few years. It never used to bother me but now I find myself feeling apprehensive more often.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2023, 03:42:57 PM »
Amazing. Thanks, Prime. That's so weird: when I woke up this morning I was really hoping a pensioner would link me something gay.

Sorry for the late response, Spunky. Your prophetic wish was my command. Just wanted to say, you are welcome, it was my pleasure. Have you given it a try? You should.  ;D

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2023, 01:42:21 AM »
Sorry for the late response, Spunky. Your prophetic wish was my command. Just wanted to say, you are welcome, it was my pleasure. Have you given it a try? You should.  ;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2023, 01:45:47 AM »
Started writing a Best Man speech for the second time in my life now. I fucking hate these things. It turned out perfect last time but I feel as though I've lost my nerve with public speaking these past few years. It never used to bother me but now I find myself feeling apprehensive more often.
I refuse to go to weddings anymore. The worst are a person's 2nd, 3rd, or 4th marriage. What are we supposed to be celebrating, the fact that they found someone else to spread their legs?

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2023, 02:11:29 AM »
I refuse to go to weddings anymore. The worst are a person's 2nd, 3rd, or 4th marriage. What are we supposed to be celebrating, the fact that they found someone else to spread their legs?

I know, I also hate them. It's something I've said I'll be willing to subject myself to once simply because it's of great significance to the person I'm with, but I despise being the center of attention, I despise being photographed, and I especially despise the thought of feeding a bunch of fat, freeloading cunts.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2023, 01:44:02 AM »
While waiting for sleep to take me the other night, I was thinking about one of my old dogs and how she used to attack bees in the garden. She'd never been stung, but she would dart her face in and out of the bee's range like a fencer – slapping it down to the ground quickly with her paw and trying to kill it without touching its stinger (but she didn't do this with flies). I’ve seen other dogs display this type of behavior with snakes, too. This is knowledge. At least, I think I can say this is knowledge – albeit an 'instinctual' one – but that word doesn't explain much and it seems to be more than just, say,  a physiological reaction to a scent. It strikes me as something distinct from what we get as a result of selective breeding, e.g. aggressive behavior, and it seems insufficient to label it as simply a reflex action.

My dog obviously didn't come to know that the bee can sting her through reason or through studying papers on them, but she had a well-founded fear that must have been attained, as far as I can tell, through some sort of genetic inheritance. That is to say, specific, hard-learned facts about the environment her ancestors lived in have been recorded and passed down to her in cells.

If this is a fact of other species then I see no reason why it might not apply to us, too. I wonder if specific experiences of parents can be 'recorded' and passed down to their children, and might that account for why people have seemingly irrational phobias? For instance, if a woman had terrible experiences in water from almost drowning, could her child be born with an inherent fear of water? Or clowns – perhaps some nutcase dressed up as a clown and gave her the ol' heave-ho. Is it possible that the child she bears also fears the sight of clowns?

I suppose it would be a lot easier to prevent these issues developing through early positive exposure and our ability to reason (or to preserve them if they're well founded), but it's interesting to me. I should ask a geneticist or biologist, I guess, as I’m probably sounding like an idiot.
Have you tried ASMR, hypnosis, or hemi sync? These can really put you to sleep fast.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2023, 02:31:49 PM »
Have you tried ASMR, hypnosis, or hemi sync? These can really put you to sleep fast.

Yeah, I use white noise every night. If there's any break in the sound then I tend to wake up. I've used hypnosis tracks for visualization to great effect when competing in sports, but I'm not sure it would help for a long-term issue like sleep unless it's to address some underlying cause that I can identify. Never heard of hemi sync; will need to have a read up on it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2023, 12:23:17 AM »
Yeah, I use white noise every night. If there's any break in the sound then I tend to wake up. I've used hypnosis tracks for visualization to great effect when competing in sports, but I'm not sure it would help for a long-term issue like sleep unless it's to address some underlying cause that I can identify. Never heard of hemi sync; will need to have a read up on it.
You need to wear headphones for hemi sync. Different tones coming in each ear.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2023, 03:46:08 PM »
Reflections of a recreant pervert: a hermeneutical approach to understanding why I shat myself.

After going against my intuitions and the advice of others, I decided to watch the movie Hereditary recently and see what all the fuss was about. Thankfully, I have emerged almost unscathed from the experience; however, it did leave my girlfriend flinching like a battered wife and suffering from minor PTSD for approximately 24 hrs. I, too, am forced to admit that after the film ended, I also found myself bracing in anticipation of encountering some demented bitch with a stupid face hanging from the ceiling or lurking behind the door of each room I entered.

I was amused by my reaction because I don't believe in the supernatural, and at the risk of sounding macho, I could be on fire and not show much panic, and I've never felt like I've been in a situation that I couldn't fight my way out of. Why, then, was I disturbed by the thought of some little retard bombing it down my corridor at me, when in reality I'd have just one-timed them in the face and sent them back to hell?

After thinking about it, I suspect that it was just the thought of doubting my own mind and being unsure of my cognitive faculties. On a deeper level, we know that we cannot trust our senses, but in the every-day context where we expect our eyes and ears to consistently relay an accurate depiction of the immediate world around us, the thought of suddenly losing control over that and being faced with strange apparitions inspires fear.

Some scenes were also quite memorable for the way in which they created tension through displaying unnatural emotions on the characters' faces – for example, inappropriate smiles and expressions suddenly changing. I suppose that lingered in the back of my mind afterwards as it reminded me of what I saw when I smoked really strong weed as a young teenager once and brutally hallucinated.

Even after unpacking it all and ultimately enjoying the movie, I think I'm done with horror films for the next little while. I’ve started watching The Sopranos for the first time and will binge on that for the next week, as it's really good.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2023, 05:47:41 PM »
First time I've read this thread.

It's brilliant.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2023, 06:18:48 PM »

It's brilliant.

Where have you been? Have you been hiding under a rock?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2023, 06:35:17 PM »
Reflections of a recreant pervert: a hermeneutical approach to understanding why I shat myself.

After going against my intuitions and the advice of others, I decided to watch the movie Hereditary recently and see what all the fuss was about. Thankfully, I have emerged almost unscathed from the experience; however, it did leave my girlfriend flinching like a battered wife and suffering from minor PTSD for approximately 24 hrs. I, too, am forced to admit that after the film ended, I also found myself bracing in anticipation of encountering some demented bitch with a stupid face hanging from the ceiling or lurking behind the door of each room I entered.

I was amused by my reaction because I don't believe in the supernatural, and at the risk of sounding macho, I could be on fire and not show much panic, and I've never felt like I've been in a situation that I couldn't fight my way out of. Why, then, was I disturbed by the thought of some little retard bombing it down my corridor at me, when in reality I'd have just one-timed them in the face and sent them back to hell?

After thinking about it, I suspect that it was just the thought of doubting my own mind and being unsure of my cognitive faculties. On a deeper level, we know that we cannot trust our senses, but in the every-day context where we expect our eyes and ears to consistently relay an accurate depiction of the immediate world around us, the thought of suddenly losing control over that and being faced with strange apparitions inspires fear.

Some scenes were also quite memorable for the way in which they created tension through displaying unnatural emotions on the characters' faces – for example, inappropriate smiles and expressions suddenly changing. I suppose that lingered in the back of my mind afterwards as it reminded me of what I saw when I smoked really strong weed as a young teenager once and brutally hallucinated.

Even after unpacking it all and ultimately enjoying the movie, I think I'm done with horror films for the next little while. I’ve started watching The Sopranos for the first time and will binge on that for the next week, as it's really good.

Sopranos is quite good.  When finished, give Boardwalk Empire a look.  Very good too. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2023, 01:37:44 AM »

It's brilliant.
It is oddly entertaining.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2023, 08:50:00 AM »

It's brilliant.

Welcome, thank you. Take many of the ramblings with a pinch of salt!

Sopranos is quite good.  When finished, give Boardwalk Empire a look.  Very good too. 

I had no idea it was so old. Tony's mother is hilarious: 'Ohhh, I wish the Lord would take me!' Lol.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2023, 08:46:24 AM »
First time getting woken up by an earthquake today. I'm currently only a few hundred km from where it happened. I thought it was just loud thunder. The other one hit as I was fully awake but it also just felt like a rather long burst of thunder. I'm hoping there's no more aftershocks. It's been devastating.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2023, 01:08:07 AM »
First time getting woken up by an earthquake today. I'm currently only a few hundred km from where it happened. I thought it was just loud thunder. The other one hit as I was fully awake but it also just felt like a rather long burst of thunder. I'm hoping there's no more aftershocks. It's been devastating.
The media is saying the aftershocks are huge.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2023, 01:35:49 AM »
The media is saying the aftershocks are huge.

Yep, there's been loads of them. This is an incredibly large-scale disaster now with thousands dead. The sound of it during the night was crazy considering how far it travelled.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2023, 01:38:23 AM »
Yep, there's been loads of them. This is an incredibly large-scale disaster now with thousands dead. The sound of it during the night was crazy considering how far it travelled.
Stay safe,

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2023, 01:30:27 AM »
I'd love to punch my bladder right in the face. All I do is piss 24/7.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: February 10, 2023, 01:40:11 AM »
I'd love to punch my bladder right in the face. All I do is piss 24/7.
Too much coffee?