Author Topic: natural... building muscle in caloric deficit  (Read 3258 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: natural... building muscle in caloric deficit
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
What experience trainer or non could gain that much lean body mass? An amazing yearly gain for a guy with a couple of years experience is about 5lbs lean. That's an amazing accomplishment. Now if we are talking about a 5 to 10 year natural trainer that starts training on gear that's a different story.

You can gain a lot more than 5 lbs of muscle in a year.

The problem, especially for natties (as they're called here) is that too many are all bent out of shape about being "lean" all the time.

I go back to my own personal experience, which I've chronicled here beforehand. In one semester of college, I went from 189 to 210. That was TERRIFIC for me, because my goal was just to get to 200.

That's 21 lbs. With at least half of that being muscle, that's 10.5 lean pounds on my frame. When I went home, my friends and my mother were in shock. Trust me! NOBODY thought I was fat.

Loading with creatine for the first time got me to 225 or so. When I went back to school that fall, my college buddies were in disbelief. So was Mr. Kelly, the guy who ran my dorm.

Guys that bulk up do gain muscle but when they train to get ripped they lose that perma bulker muscle gain. It's best to gain while staying relatively lean.

That depends on how they diet. If I go too low on calories and try to crash-diet, my muscle size and strength go bye-bye.

When I take my time and don't drop my calories too low, the mass and strength tend to stay put.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »
A gain in college you are just a kid still growing. I'm not saying that in a derogatory way. Just saying you are young. When you are 30 try to gain that much weight lean.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
A gain in college you are just a kid still growing. I'm not saying that in a derogatory way. Just saying you are young. When you are 30 try to gain that much weight lean.

Who you telling? I turn 40 in May. The example I used of myself was back in 1996.

But, that's my point. A younger guy, particularly those of the bony/ectomorphic type, need to inhale the groceries to get big and quit obsessing about being ripped.

In that example, I'd been training for about 7 years to that point. The one advantage to being nearly 40 is that I don't need as much food to get bigger and stronger, as I did back in the day. The flip side is that the bodyfat accumulates easier.

Again, if I eat now the way I ate then, I'd be a sumo wrestler. But, if I ate then the way I eat now, I'd be a concentration camp victim.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »
I have been trying all I can to lose muscle for a month now. 1300 calories a day and 50 grams of protein. I have not lost muscle or strength at all. Fear of muscle loss is an excuse to eat more shit.

My girlfriends best friend and her husband started doing Insanity on Jan 1st of this year.   Despite my warning to her and her husband to never do sustained high intensity anaerobic exercise on a low carb diet, they decided to disregard my advice and eat low carb while doing their Insanity program.   They are now 7 weeks into it and I saw both of them recently this past Monday.  They both look like absolute shit!!  Their limbs are starting to take similar shape to those of emaciated marathoners.  Their Insanity workouts have stated to eat up their muscle tissue as anaerobic exercise cannot be fueled by dietary fat or adipose tissue, only by glucose.  And when you perform sustained anaerobic exercise such as Insanity while eating low carb, you don't have nearly enough glucose to fuel your workouts and the body gets the glucose it needs from amino acids via Gluconeogenesis.  It's just a matter of time before both of them develop metabolic issues with Leptin and Thyroid.  I can see it coming.  But hey, in their eyes they've made progress.  Body composition means nothing to your typical crash dieter, just the numbers on the scale.  Idiots.

So, if you want to lose muscle, then eat low protein and low carb and do a few months of Insanity/Asylum and then get back to me regarding not being able to lose muscle.  I can pretty much guarantee you will lose muscle.   Those particular programs need adequate glucose in the form of carbohydrate or a hell of a lot of glucose via protein conversion.