Author Topic: In need of calf routine  (Read 9727 times)

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
In need of calf routine
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »
Are there any naturals out there with less than stellar calf genetics who have significantly improved the size and shape of their calves. I'm in need of some tips.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: In need of calf routine
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »
I do calves 4 days a week.  The only day I don't do calf's is when I rest and on leg day. 

I do 6 sets of donkey calf raises (like donkeys because they really stretch the f**k out of your calf's more than any other), alternating with toes in and out every other set.

Then I hit 3 sets of standing calf raises pointing toes straight.

I think the key to calf development is that first, you can do them everyday.  Second, when you hit a plateau you need to go heavier.  I think people underestimate how fast calf's grow and get strong.  So go heavy but concentrate of form.  you may only be able to go heavy for 1 or 2 sets with good form, but then the next week do 3 sets heavy until you can do 6 sets of quality raises with that weight, then do the same process all over.

Then from time to time I change it up with seated raises or calf raises on a leg press.   

just my .02

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
Baby_Hercules,

First off, congratulations on building a truly outstanding natural physique. (assuming that is actually you in the screencap) What's your competition weight (and height)??

I could offer you some pointers on building calves... But be warned! It mightn't be what you want to hear... and you might find some of it quite offensive. But it would be the truth, and if applied it properly I can literally guarantee results.

If you're interested, then please post:
-your height (barefoot)
-your wrist measurement
-your ankle measurement (at the thinnest point)
-your knee measurement
-the length of your bare foot from heel to tip of big toe
-the distance from the ground to the back of the middle of your knee when standing upright (barefoot)
-the distance from the ground to the bottom of your gastroc muscle when standing upright (barefoot)
-your beginning calf measurement (or an estimate of such if you don't remember)
...and last, but not least:
-your current calf measurement

The Luke

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 04:33:04 PM »
Have nothing really to add other then if you are doing cardio you may want to think about jump roping which will help work out your calves (or sprinting focusing staying on your toes).

I really just wanted to tell you that you look great!  Your hard work really shows, when are you competing next?
Jennifer

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 05:01:46 PM »
Are there any naturals out there with less than stellar calf genetics who have significantly improved the size and shape of their calves. I'm in need of some tips.

Do standing calf raises as heavy as you can go with a full range of motion till you can only do about six reps before you have to do partial reps. I do about 4 sets starting with a weight I can get for about 20 reps. Using light weights and just grinding out 50 rep sets even if you get a tremendous pump from it won't give you much in the way of muscle growth. I did that for years with little results. As soon as I got serious about trying to go much heavier and cutting way back on the reps performed did I gain size. I never liked seated calf raises. Doing toe raises on a leg press is as good as a standing calf machine though.
The House that Ruth built

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 10:07:31 PM »
Baby_Hercules,

First off, congratulations on building a truly outstanding natural physique. (assuming that is actually you in the screencap) What's your competition weight (and height)??

I could offer you some pointers on building calves... But be warned! It mightn't be what you want to hear... and you might find some of it quite offensive. But it would be the truth, and if applied it properly I can literally guarantee results.

-your height (barefoot)
-your wrist measurement
-your ankle measurement (at the thinnest point)
-your knee measurement
-the length of your bare foot from heel to tip of big toe
-the distance from the ground to the back of the middle of your knee when standing upright (barefoot)
-the distance from the ground to the bottom of your gastroc muscle when standing upright (barefoot)
-your beginning calf measurement (or an estimate of such if you don't remember)
-your current calf measurement

The Luke

oh brother!

Bast175

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:14:26 AM »
My calves have always sucked and were really stubborn to grow.  I used to do high reps because that's what so many people do (Arnold for one).  I switched to lower reps, just 3-4 sets to failure of 5-8 reps about twice a week and they've gotten a lot stronger.  (2 sets seated, 1-2 sets on a leg press machine)

My calves are still not good but they're improving finally.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:27:26 AM »
Have nothing really to add other then if you are doing cardio you may want to think about jump roping which will help work out your calves (or sprinting focusing staying on your toes).

I really just wanted to tell you that you look great!  Your hard work really shows, when are you competing next?
Thanks for the info and the compliment. I already do sprints. I may consider jumping rope.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:30:29 AM »
Thanks guys. All of the tips are greatly appreciated. I will try to incorporate them into my training. If any of you have in questions about my training pm me or post a reply here.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 12:27:11 PM »
The Luke, please do my measurements please v v interested in what you have to say

-your height (barefoot)  6'3"
-your wrist measurement  7 1/4"
-your ankle measurement (at the thinnest point) 10"
-your knee measurement  15.5"
-the length of your bare foot from heel to tip of big toe 11"
-the distance from the ground to the back of the middle of your knee when standing upright (barefoot) 20.5"
-the distance from the ground to the bottom of your gastroc muscle when standing upright (barefoot) 10.5"
-your beginning calf measurement (or an estimate of such if you don't remember) maybe 15"
-your current calf measurement 15.5" not trained them but grown since started squattin.

appreciate it. can u tell abt potential

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »
Hey Baby_Hercules,

Surprised to see you went to the trouble to take all those measurements... you must be desperate to improve those stubborn calves. (and thanks for replying to my "avi challenge" by the way)

I'll gladly do up all your ratios for comparison.
I'll write you a little mini-article explaining all the ratios and what they tell you about how your lower leg anatomy compares with the average joe schmoe, and for entertainment purposes I'll throw in my own measurements.... why.... because I'm a bon fide midgety calf monster!!

I'll also include all the best tips for developing stubborn calves that I've learned over the years having vastly improved (2 to 3 inches) all my training partners lower legs. (...ha-ha, I don't even have to train mine) Warning: it won't be pretty... the biggest problem I've had training people is that they don't want to do my calf workouts... they're plenty painful.

However, it'll take a week or two... I'm busily finishing my next sticky article on heredity and race and how they relate to bodybuilding. Some of these topics will overlap because of the racial factors that determine calf potential, so if you're sensitive to discussion of racial dfferences let me now so that I don't offend anyone.

The Luke

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 07:11:14 AM »
You could always try the old school classic of getting old pair shoes and nailing 2 inch blocks wood to sole of shoe, and go walk,start each step with heal on the ground and rise all the way up onto block. couple miles a night should have u feeling ur calves.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 10:33:07 AM »
by far the most effective calf training program I've eveer been on is DC's calf training technique.  I always had small calves and hated it...I hit this type of training hard and heavy for a little over a year and now my calfs are about 18" and I'm not very tall so they are pretty damn big.

1 exercise per workout-pick your 3 favorites and rotate them.
12-15 reps-1 set, but when you do the reps start out in the stretched position and stay that way for 15 seconds, explode up then a 5 second negative and then hold in the stretched position for another 15 seconds..etc, etc until you fail.

the key is to keep track of what you do and the next time either beat that by 1 or 2 reps or add weight, its a killer.

really if you go all out on this type of training and your calfs don't grow you might be dead.
nasser=piece of shit

Crazykid909

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 02:17:42 PM »
I dont have good genetics on calf, but i have made some impressive gains. I find that the Calf muscle is very stubborn and responds well to heavy poundages. Your calfs are used to carrying body weight all day long, so they have alot of stamina. This is why someone could train calves everyday if they wanted. But for the best results simply go heavy on any kind of calf exercise

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 07:08:41 AM »
Damn!

4 x 25  Standing Raises
4 x 25  Seated Raises 

and my calves KILL for a week - no shit i hate walking the days after..

whats with that? i dont go heavy (in fact its pretty light) and my reps are full range

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 07:54:57 AM »
Try this and see if you get results:

Once you get to the top of the raise, then try to press up again. This might be only a 1/4 of an inch, but you peak the contraction!

Do 1 set of 75 reps: do as many as you can until you can't take the burn (ususally between 30 and 40 reps) pause until burn is gone and continue cycle until you reach 75.

Do this with 2 exercises per workout. Really taxes the calves.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 05:11:05 PM »
my calves natrualy sucked but now everyone compliments me on them. i always start them heavy either with seated or standing calve raises  this is my current routine   seated calve raises 15-12-10-8-6
                                                one leg calve raises 10-10-10
                                                bodywieght calve raises 20-20-20
on the bodywieght exersize is to really focus on the muscles working geting a great streach once a week. then let them rest.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
by far the most effective calf training program I've eveer been on is DC's calf training technique.  I always had small calves and hated it...I hit this type of training hard and heavy for a little over a year and now my calfs are about 18" and I'm not very tall so they are pretty damn big.

1 exercise per workout-pick your 3 favorites and rotate them.
12-15 reps-1 set, but when you do the reps start out in the stretched position and stay that way for 15 seconds, explode up then a 5 second negative and then hold in the stretched position for another 15 seconds..etc, etc until you fail.

the key is to keep track of what you do and the next time either beat that by 1 or 2 reps or add weight, its a killer.

really if you go all out on this type of training and your calfs don't grow you might be dead.

Listen to this idiot it works. My calves used to be less then stellar and now they are magnificent bulls and I only train them once a week.
just push some weight!

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 08:04:53 AM »
Thanks guys. Keep the info coming. If you have any questions about training post it here or shoot me a PM.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 04:27:50 PM »
Calves are, for me anyway, one of those bodyparts that needs less of a routine than a continual pounding. Very stubborn, indeed. I'll try to make this simple as I change everything up all the time to keep things going. First you have to train them more than once a week. I noticed an immediate jump when I did this. They are  tough muscles and can take it. I train them Tues (with shoulders) and Fri (by themselves). What I have found is that a good stretch at the bottom and an exaggerated contraction (a little pause) at the top works best. Reps are between 10-16, or so. and the weight is as heavy as form allows. Usually first half is a straight-leg exercise (i rotate these and do 4-5 sets), the second a seated kind (4-5 sets). The key is always trying to throw a bit more poundage on every week somewhere. The key I've found to doing this is to do a first set with a bit too much weight to handle in such perfect form for about 10 reps -ie. you are setting the nervous system/muscles up for future heavier lifts. After you get this initial set done, take a bit of weight off and set up for two/three good sets of 12 perfect reps of maximum effort, maybe a last one of 15-20 reps. You will find that after a week or two the initial 'too-heavy set' is getting lighter, so you bump that up 5-10 lbs and add same weight to lighter' sets. Bit difficult to explain -sorry - but this staggered method really seems to work for me. Best     

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 01:47:14 PM »
Listen to this idiot it works. My calves used to be less then stellar and now they are magnificent bulls and I only train them once a week.

sorry alexxx just saw your well thought out response, no I don't train them once a week, it's once every other workout, so I'd train them once during the first week and twice during the second.  3 workouts a week rotating between chest, back, shoulders and tri's and then bi's, forearms and legs and I've been doing this for a little over a year, don't believe me?  Fine, I could care less.
nasser=piece of shit

OakExpress

• Getbig II
  • Amateur Natural Bodybuilder
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 12:13:02 PM »
Here's what has worked for me...

1) Do two warmup sets to get the blood flowing
2) Next, select a HEAVY weight
3) Perform one set aiming for 16-24 repetitions (rest pause if necessary to get your rep total)
4) Hit both the Soleus and the Gastrocnemius by performing seated calf raise (bent knee hit Soleus) and Standing Calf or Donkey Calf (straight leg hits Gastroc).
5) Stretch the calf by getting on the standing calf machine, going all the way down with heavy weight, and hold the stretch (stretches the connective tissue surrounding the muscle and provides room for the muscle to grow).  Do this at the end of your calf routine when your calves are REALLY pumped.
6) Train calves 1-2x per week (alternate)
[THIS IS VERY SIMILAR TO DC]

One other techniques I love...
MEGA DOWNSET
1) Get on a leg press machine that you can adjust the weight with the movement of a pin.  Put on the heaviest weight you can do for 12-24 reps.  Do the set to failure, drop the weight, and continue the set.  Repeat this until you've done 3 drops.  Your calves should be on fire.
2) Follow this with the stretch discussed above.

I also have to say that the DC approach mentioned previously is very good (and very painful).

Best of luck!

Romans 1:20

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 12:56:40 PM »
Thanks. Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated. I was able to work calves yesterday with local IFBB pro Jonathan Rowe, and I must say I'm feeling it today :)

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 06:15:37 PM »
calves is my major weakness too....going to aim for progressive reps/weight with standing and seated and increase weight where poss at 12 reps max

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »
If you do any cardio and can get access to a true stairmaster....walk each step on your tip toes thus putting all the stress on the calves..