Author Topic: To Bench Or Not To Bench  (Read 8682 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: To Bench Or Not To Bench
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 02:01:40 PM »
some form of benching, flat barbell, incline bb, or dumbell flat or db inclines is necessary for maximum development imo

dav-bol

• Getbig II
  • Sexbomb
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 02:27:05 PM »
Very True, there has been an influx of dumb ass topics lately , hopefully the Arnold Classic will give us some new stuff.... but yeah f*ck all these dumb ass topics...
How short was Franco?
Is Robby Robinson black?
Squats, How and Why?
Where is Bob Paris?
What is Joe Weider up to these days?
1980 Mr O seems lil shady
Larry Scott First Mr. O...Discuss
Will arnold make it in hollywood.

LOL....good one....still chuckling

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 02:40:40 PM »
Although I don't do them all every workout, I've always got to throw in flat BB benches, squats and deadlifts at least a few times a month.  There's no substitute for them IMO, unless they are medically contraindicated for whatever reason.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 07:23:23 PM »
imo, these are the best exercises to build chest : lever chest press and lever decline chest press
that will make u feel the "burn/pump"!
i totally forgot bench press after i discovered these machines.

I bet you you did the same thing with squats too. You found an exercise that was made for pussies and took right to it.
h

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 07:31:40 PM »
SHUT THE f**k UP! JESUS CHRIST.  WHO GIVES A f**k?  DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, THERES NO REASON TO DISCUSS THIS DUMB BULLSHIT.  SOMEONE DELETE THIS STUPID FUCKING THREAD AND BAN THIS FAGGOT.

I agree with you. Pointless thread.
"Shut the F up and train"

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 07:40:33 PM »
Pointless thread? From what's here it's obviously of interest.

Some of those lever press machines are f***** awesome, just as Vic Martinez will tell you-it's basically the same motion along with better resistance curves and constant tension. Bottom line, it hits the muscles as good or even better. That's ALL that matters, macho men.

Any predictable argument about fixed paths is easily countered by the additional resistance loads placed on the muscles - 6 of one, half dozen of the other, with no clear winner.

As far a size builders, lots of you guys are stuck with preconceptions developed and stuck with years ago. Benches are only good for some, are fairly useless to others. Only a couple mentioned that whatever works is what's important-some of the BEST size builders are isolations.

Heavy-ass non-compounds and cable work builds massive SIZE, get used to it & get your poundages up to find out for yourselves.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »
It's pointless, because the topic was already going on in another thread.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 02:38:12 AM »
pumpster, in your opinion give an example chest workout.  you said heavy non-compounds along w cables.  So flyes, crossovers what else?  pull overs, kinda compound though.  the fact that you said iso builds good size is interesting, have you had success with them and have your workouts been centered around them?  doesnt count if you put them in your sessions like after bench, thats what almost everyone does.  curious to know what you think/done.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 05:21:46 PM »
imo, these are the best exercises to build chest : lever chest press and lever decline chest press
that will make u feel the "burn/pump"!
i totally forgot bench press after i discovered these machines.

Would you take pec training advice from someone who goes by the name AnalCandy???   ;D

All kidding aside...AnalCandy, did you actually achieve growth with these machines, moreso than with free weights?  While I like machines for isolation exercises and think they should be included in a training program, I don't know that they are the ultimate in producing big pecs.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 05:28:10 PM »
Although I don't do them all every workout, I've always got to throw in flat BB benches, squats and deadlifts at least a few times a month.  There's no substitute for them IMO, unless they are medically contraindicated for whatever reason.

I agree with Dan-O....

always in the need of different variety & especially in compound movements

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 09:21:31 PM »
I've gotten better results with heavy flat/incline/decline flys, cables, ped deck and occasionally weighted pushups, none of which hurt the shoulders the way BB benches do. The reps should be moderate 6-12, so that there's more control and feel. I never got much of that from doing benches or dips though, and both were tough on the shoulders. If I knew then what I know now I'd have avoided many years of either one.

Of course, there are natural benchers with huge chests who never get hurt, but I'd guess that they'd respond to any chest exercise plus it's hard to tell which of the exercises they've used were more effective. I think it was the recent Flex where Bob Chic was talking about that; he never does benches and sticks to flys and cable crossovers.

Bodybuilding's filled with inconsistencies-bicep curls are not compounds, yet are the best size builders, but on chest or lats the rules change, which makes no sense. One of the best non-compound lat exercises is pullovers-there is only one pivot point and one primary muscle involved, it is not a compound. Machine pullovers even better and are farther removed from compounds. It's just a matter of using moderate reps and building up to heavy ass weights. Guys I've seen using serious weight on non-compounds were huge.

On triceps, there is *no* compound that hits the tris as effectively for size as extensions, a non compound exercise and Sergio's fave.

Another fallasy is that cables are for refining. Coleman's favorite size builder for bis is cable curls.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 09:43:05 PM »
it's not how much you bench it's how you bench. no matter how you do it flat incline barbell or dumbell machine or smith machine...it's not how much you bench, it's how you bench! when i got my pro card i never had more than 3 45's each side of the barbell ever! and my chest is my strongest body part!
it's not how much you bench! it's how you bench. bodybuilders are pussies powerlifters are real strong but look puffy/watery and hold more bodyfat. it's your choice....but if you ever wanna compete, and im only talkin about local competitions here, the ego must stay out of the gym for atleast an hour....otherwise you will always hear the following sentence: "whats goin on big guy".. i'm sure 99% of this board people are femiliar with this sentence.
it's not how much you bench...it's how you bench! say it every day 100 times before you enter the gym and try not to look at the sluts around and you will do fine..
good luck

** the fact you see denis bench pressing 4/5 plates of 45s each side of the barbell incline...is cuz for years and years and years and then some more years he was doing 1 and 2 and 3 plates each side of the barbell and he also did it right for many years. in addition his lean mass is simply higher than the typical guy in the gym. he really got 250 pounds of lean muscle mass...it's not some 190 pounds +60 pounds of water and fat over it.
fallen angel

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 09:46:20 PM »
I noticed that-the biggest guys I'd see were using solid but not overwhelming weight-increasing the weight was important but only after other factors like feel, control and the use of moderate reps were already covered.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 10:02:41 PM »
lee priest doesnt do barbell bench and look at his pecs
 ;)