Author Topic: Greg Kovacs dies at 44  (Read 112596 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: Greg Kovacs dies at 44
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:53 AM »
Greg was a heavy rec drug user, specifically Ketamine, GHB and benzos.

He seemed to need to escape reality, even at the peak of his career.

I've abused all of the above and they didn't kill me.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2013, 06:17:07 AM »

Speak more on this!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:24 AM »
I've abused all of the above and they didn't kill me.
Borracho with extreme immune system genes, probably could even drink Draino.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
Borracho with extreme immune system genes, probably could even drink Draino.

I probably have  :-\

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »

BFG

• Getbig III
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »
Speak more on this!

Greg and his wife "partied" a lot.

By "partied" im referring to locking themselves in a hotel room and falling into a k hole.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Greg and his wife "partied" a lot.

By "partied" im referring to locking themselves in a hotel room and falling into a k hole.

but how did he manage to eat the cals and protein required etc?

surely wasnt an everyday rec drugs addict?

i seriously dont see how a daily rec drug user could maintain the lifters lifestyle.

i agrre he sure was a "heavy" user, he weighed 400lbs
n

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
He divorced in 2011 and was never the same. He needed a lot more towels once she left.
O

BFG

• Getbig III
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
but how did he manage to eat the cals and protein required etc?

surely wasnt an everyday rec drugs addict?

i seriously dont see how a daily rec drug user could maintain the lifters lifestyle.

i agrre he sure was a "heavy" user, he weighed 400lbs

Well, I cant imagine he spent every single day all day long in a K hole.

Greg definitely ate a ton, but its not like he was eating 2 chicken breasts every 2 hours all day long. He ate a ton of fast food and ice cream (similar diet to Mike M) which I am sure contributed to the problems - especially combined with the AAS and recs. Its not extremely hard to meet your caloric requirements with a few double bacon cheeseburgers and some whey protein blended with ice cream.

As far as the AAS use goes...I'd be lying if I said I knew Greg's exact stack, compound for compound. What I do know is he used a ton of testosterone, in pretty much every ester. He was known for loading up the 5cc barrels with test (usually a mix of prop, cyp, decanoate) and just hitting that ED or EOD. He was one of those guys that didnt really count milligrams or anything but just went on oil volume (youd be surprised how many top level pros do this).

Another Kovacs fact I remember is that he followed the Dan Duchaine recommendation of mixing a bunch of different oils in a large jug (50 or more cc jug) and just pinning 3-5cc's of it at a time as a "blast."  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

Greg definitely ate a ton, but its not like he was eating 2 chicken breasts every 2 hours all day long. He ate a ton of fast food and ice cream (similar diet to Mike M) which I am sure contributed to the problems - especially combined with the AAS and recs. Its not extremely hard to meet your caloric requirements with a few double bacon cheeseburgers and some whey protein blended with ice cream.

As far as the AAS use goes...I'd be lying if I said I knew Greg's exact stack, compound for compound. What I do know is he used a ton of testosterone, in pretty much every ester. He was known for loading up the 5cc barrels with test (usually a mix of prop, cyp, decanoate) and just hitting that ED or EOD. He was one of those guys that didnt really count milligrams or anything but just went on oil volume (youd be surprised how many top level pros do this).

Another Kovacs fact I remember is that he followed the Dan Duchaine recommendation of mixing a bunch of different oils in a large jug (50 or more cc jug) and just pinning 3-5cc's of it at a time as a "blast."  
nuts,,,had the size to look not human,but on the stage did n't have the stage look,both looks take extreme measures to get there and powerlifters as well to be a freak u have to do things like a freak,unless genetics are insane the more the better,,as gifted as flex wheeler was he resorted to extreme measures to get freakier with the times too.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
naturalos are on thin ice too with their meth-like pre workout garbage and organ melting pro hormonas

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »

He use to hammer synthol before hitting Guv and Film.  Loved that crap.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »

No not heavy, maybe he had his moments occasionally but not heavy by relative terms, he looked normal daily and carried himself well, nothing noticeable as in you can tell by looking at him.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »
He use to hammer synthol before hitting Guv and Film.  Loved that crap.

Kovacs seemed more like a comfort zone kinda guy.  :D

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
No not heavy, maybe he had his moments occasionally but not heavy by relative terms, he looked normal daily and carried himself well, nothing noticeable as in you can tell by looking at him.

You knew him well OTH?

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
You knew him well OTH?
I have known him for over 12 years, not to well, but enough to have some good conversations with him and some dinners with a group of us over the years. and have seen him train many, many times, but have seen him 100's of times in person, cause I lived in the same area back 6 years ago and he never looked drugged up or behaved inappropriately, always conducted himself well and respectful. Very polite and nice.

I am at the heart of the bodybuilding community in my neck of the woods for over a decade and have access to all local gossip and there is nothing going around about Kovacks and drug use, ya maybe he did have habits but to say they were heavy? NOPE,,.... ''Heavy means junky looking, no showers, stinky, runned down, that is a heavy drug user. The man conducted himself professionally and never looked out to lunch or out of the normal state.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »
Kovacs seemed more like a comfort zone kinda guy.  :D

lmao!!!! I like you Borracho.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
During the time I knew him, he was basically an unassuming fella, apart from being physically MONSTROUS. This was when the MuscleTech thing was happening and Paul Gardiner (its owner) was planning his rise to wealth with his horseshit supplements. You know, when all the "test batches" were being pimped in MuscleMag, and those first ads appeared, featuring ol' Paul. At that point, there wasn't even product. Just thoughts about the artwork on the labels.

Oh, the actual supplements? Yeah, who cares ... What raw supplier's are in the area?  ::)

Anyway ... Greg was gigantic and he didn't move around (re: walk) with much comfort. Weird recollection: One day he swung by MuscleMag and I helped him find some photos in our pic files. I remember thinking, Holy moly, look at his shoes! They're collapsing from his weight!

Fourty-four really is too young.  :-[

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
During the time I knew him, he was basically an unassuming fella, apart from being physically MONSTROUS. This was when the MuscleTech thing was happening and Paul Gardiner (its owner) was planning his rise to wealth with his horseshit supplements. You know, when all the "test batches" were being pimped in MuscleMag, and those first ads appeared, featuring ol' Paul. At that point, there wasn't even product. Just thoughts about the artwork on the labels.

Oh, the actual supplements? Yeah, who cares ... What raw supplier's are in the area?  ::)

Anyway ... Greg was gigantic and he didn't move around (re: walk) with much comfort. Weird recollection: One day he swung by MuscleMag and I helped him find some photos in our pic files. I remember thinking, Holy moly, look at his shoes! They're collapsing from his weight!

Fourty-four really is too young.  :-[
Hey bro I have been meaning to ask you about one small article in Musclemag where a writer responded to a guy about Kovacks.

it was something along the lines of This guy claiming he might be stronger and he wrote his claims and the writer of musclemag laughed and gave him a reality check and a description of how truly strong Kovacks was .

Around 1999, accompanied with a picture, it was the towards the beginning of the magazine and it was a quarter page tidbit or so, titled Canadian strongest or something.

Anyway, just wondering if you wrote that or at least remembered, it just stuck out to me back then,

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2013, 04:24:26 AM »
Was his  life worth it?  He essentially blew out his own candle.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: December 07, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
lmao!!!! I like you Borracho.

I have very strong feelings for you too bro!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »
was he sick prior to having the heart failure or did it just happen out of nowhere?
A

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
does Kovacs' family have a case if they sue Muscletech for damage done by its products?
they have pulled acetobolan 1 and 2 off the lawsuit claiming it's been discontinued since 1999..

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
it was something along the lines of This guy claiming he might be stronger and he wrote his claims and the writer of musclemag laughed and gave him a reality check and a description of how truly strong Kovacks was .

Around 1999, accompanied with a picture, it was the towards the beginning of the magazine and it was a quarter page tidbit or so, titled Canadian strongest or something.

I wasn't employed at MuscleMag during the latter half of the '90s, my friend. But strangely, I do believe I recall seeing something like this. I used to stop by, see Bob and Johnny, and then grab stacks of missed MMIs, so maybe this is how I saw it.

Greg was super strong, no doubt, but he wasn't near as strong as those MuscleTech pawns made him out to be, truthfully. I would bet what you read was a fabricated letter from some fabricated "strong guy" as a way to mention Kovacs and MuscleTech, ONCE AGAIN.

P.S. Anyone who spends one dollar on anything related to MuscleTech or its offshoots is a fool. Fart powder.  ;D   

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:14 PM »
At either the Arnold or Olympia Expo, Kovacs was asked by Ed Coan and Bill Kazmaier why, if he was so strong, he didn't just enter a big meet and crush all the records. Greg apparently dodged answering with this and that and that was that.

Most haven't the foggiest what kind of behemoths and freaks exist in the upper levels of world-class (and minimal gear) powerlifting. The two men I mention above are great examples. Every bit as awesome as a Gretzky or Jordan or Woods. In many ways, quite a bit more. Drugs or no drugs, Coan's accomplishments as a lifter are the stuff of legend, and Kaz is quite simply a candidate for the title of Strongest Man Who Ever Lived.

These are rarified athletes.

Having said all this, who knows how Kovacs could have done had he focussed his efforts on pure strength training under the tutelage of someone who had a clue.