Author Topic: Former Top General in Iraq Faults White House  (Read 1882 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Former Top General in Iraq Faults White House
« on: October 12, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »
Former Top General in Iraq Faults White House
By DAVID S. CLOUD

WASHINGTON, Oct. 12— In a sweeping indictment of the four-year effort in Iraq, the former top American commander called the Bush administration’s handling of the war incompetent and warned that the United States was “living a nightmare with no end in sight.”

In one of his first major public speeches since leaving the Army in late 2006, retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez blamed the administration for a “catastrophically flawed, unrealistically optimistic war plan” and denounced the current “surge” strategy as a “desperate” move that will not achieve long-term stability.

“After more than fours years of fighting, America continues its desperate struggle in Iraq without any concerted effort to devise a strategy that will achieve victory in that war-torn country or in the greater conflict against extremism,” Mr. Sanchez said, at a gathering here of military reporters and editors.

General Sanchez is the most senior in a string of retired generals to harshly criticize the administration’s conduct of the war. Asked following his remarks why he waited nearly a year after his retirement to outline his views, he responded that that it was not the place of active duty officers to challenge lawful orders from civilian authorities. General Sanchez, who is said to be considering a book, promised further public statements criticizing officials by name.

“There was been a glaring and unfortunate display of incompetent strategic leadership within our national leaders,” he said, adding later in his remarks that civilian officials have been “derelict in their duties” and guilty of a “lust for power.”

The White House had no initial comment.

But his role as commander in Iraq during the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal leaves General Sanchez vulnerable to criticism that that he is shifting the blame from himself and exacting revenge against an administration that replaced him as the top commander in the aftermath of the scandal and declined to nominate him for a fourth star, forcing his retirement.

Though he was cleared of wrongdoing in the abuse matter by an Army investigation, he nonetheless became a symbol, along with officials like L. Paul Bremer III , the chief administrator in Iraq, of the ineffective American leadership early in the occupation.

Questioned by reporters after his speech, he included the military and himself among those who made mistakes in Iraq, citing the failure to insist on a better post-invasion stabilization plan.

But his main criticism was leveled at the Bush administration, which he said he said has failed to mobilize the entire United States government, other than the military, to contribute meaningfully to reconstructing and stabilizing Iraq.

“National leadership continues to believe that victory can be achieved by military power alone,” he said. “Continued manipulations and adjustments to our military strategy will not achieve victory. The best we can do with this flawed approach is stave off defeat.”

Asked after his remarks what strategy he favored, General Sanchez ticked off a series of steps — from promoting reconciliation among Iraq’s warring sectarian factions to building effective Iraqi army and police units — that closely paralleled the list of tasks frequently cited by the Bush administration.

But he said that the administration had failed to craft a detailed strategy for achieving those steps that went beyond the use of military force.

“The administration, Congress and the entire inter-agency, especially the State Department, must shoulder responsibility for the catastrophic failure, and the American people must hold them accountable,” General Sanchez said.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Ex-General: Iraq a 'Nightmare' for US
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:50:51 PM »
Ouch, I'm guessing the Bush propaganda machine hates it when former high ranking officers publicly criticize our handling of Iraq.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20071013/D8S83GS00.html

By STEVEN KOMAROW

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - The U.S. mission in Iraq is a "nightmare with no end in sight" because of political misjudgments after the fall of Saddam Hussein that continue today, a former chief of U.S.-led forces said Friday.

Retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, who commanded coalition troops for a year beginning June 2003, cast a wide net of blame for both political and military shortcomings in Iraq that helped open the way for the insurgency - such as disbanding the Saddam-era military and failing to cement ties with tribal leaders and quickly establish civilian government after Saddam was toppled.

He called current strategies - including the deployment of 30,000 additional forces earlier this year - a "desperate attempt" to make up for years of misguided policies in Iraq.

"There is no question that America is living a nightmare with no end in sight," Sanchez told a group of journalists covering military affairs.

Sanchez avoided singling out at any specific official. But he did criticize the State Department, the National Security Council, Congress and the senior military leadership during what appeared to be a broad indictment of White House policies and a lack of leadership to oppose them.

Such assessments - even by former Pentagon brass - are not new, but they have added resonance as debates over war strategy dominate the presidential campaign.

The Bush administration didn't directly address Sanchez's critical views.

"We appreciate his service to the country," said White House spokesman Trey Bohn. He added that as U.S. commander in Iraq Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker have said: "There is more work to be done, but progress is being made in Iraq and that's what we're focused on now."

Sanchez retired from the Army last year, two years after he completing a tumultuous year as commander of all U.S. forces in Iraq. As he stepped down, he called his career a casualty of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

He was never charged with anything but he was not promoted in the aftermath of the prisoner abuse reports. He was criticized by some for not doing more to avoid mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners.

Sanchez told the gathering that he thought he had made mistakes and said he didn't always fully appreciate the secondary affects of actions the military took.

He did deny reports that he and then-Iraqi administrator L. Paul Bremer were not on speaking terms. He said they spoke every day.

The retired soldier stressed that it became clear during his command that the mission was severely handicapped because the State Department and other agencies were not adequately contributing to a mission that could not be won by military force alone.

When asked when he saw that the mission was going awry, he responded: "About the 15th of June 2003" - the day he took command.

"There is nothing going on today in Washington that would give us hope" that things are going to change, he said.

Sanchez went on to offer a pessimistic view on the current U.S. strategy against extremists will make lasting gains, but said a full-scale withdrawal also was not an option.

"The American military finds itself in an intractable situation ... America has no choice but to continue our efforts in Iraq," said Sanchez, who works as a consultant training U.S. generals.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Ex-General: Iraq a 'Nightmare' for US
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Any second now some neotaint is gonna come in screaming "BS that general is a Liberal, and the US is winning"
w

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Ex-General: Iraq a 'Nightmare' for US
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:37:01 PM »
Any second now some neotaint is gonna come in screaming "BS that general is a Liberal, and the US is winning"
OK OK
Bull shit! That general is a liberal, the US is going to win!!!!

Jokes aside, when politicians run a war it is always a mess.
And the Military usually end up demoralised and burnt out cleaning up the mess.
The average politician is just an elected person experienced in little more than getting themselves reelected and looking after the people who elect them.
All of a sudden they think they are Commander in chief.
After all the mistakes that where made this is going to be hard to get out of.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Former Top General in Iraq Faults White House
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
I'd say consider the source...since many of u haven't served, I'd be careful. Sancez is one of the biggest assholes we've ever produced. He''s got a major ax to grind. Other guys have said the same thing and i wouldn't dispute what they said, this guy on the other hand.  ::)
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »
I'd say consider the source...since many of u haven't served, I'd be careful. Sancez is one of the biggest assholes we've ever produced. He''s got a major ax to grind. Other guys have said the same thing and i wouldn't dispute what they said, this guy on the other hand.  ::)

I don't know anything about this guy - what's his ax that he's grinding?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »
Um..well they blamed him for Abu Garib....like it or not the buck stops with him. He could and should have done more after the invasion....these guys all have huge ego's and it looks like another guy is doing a better job then he did. As far as him being a dick...I have countless stories about this guy.  Chewing ass for no reason, screaming at people...screaming.  He was almost impossible to deal with or basically tell anything to. Again alot of guys who i respect more, have said the same thing, not lately mind u, but have said what he's said.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:25:40 AM »
Um..well they blamed him for Abu Garib....like it or not the buck stops with him. He could and should have done more after the invasion....these guys all have huge ego's and it looks like another guy is doing a better job then he did. As far as him being a dick...I have countless stories about this guy.  Chewing ass for no reason, screaming at people...screaming.  He was almost impossible to deal with or basically tell anything to. Again alot of guys who i respect more, have said the same thing, not lately mind u, but have said what he's said.

he sounds like an asshole but it seems like you're saying he's making some valid observations

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 10:54:21 AM »
He is saying what most of us already know...just so happens it comes from someone a bit more "official" than your typical Olbermann/Matthews type.  He's not the first Flag officer to say it, nor will he be the last. 

I like Joe Biden's approach to carving up Iraq and making Baghdad a sort of loose Federalized entity, though I first heard of the idea from Duncan Hunter.  Iraq is a perfect example of how multiculturalism and diversity are disastrous without some sort of forceful glue holding them together(economic like here in the US or under the regime of a brutal dictator with military supremacy).  Iraq will ultimately become Balkanized, akin to the old Yugoslavia, the Ottoman Empire, the former USSR, and so and so forth....broken and busted up along cultural, religious, and racial lines. 

Although dividing up Iraq like that does have its risks, such as the Shiites closely aligning with the Iranian regime(a big conflict of regional US interests, particularily oil) and Turkey with a possible invasion of Kurdish lands, I think it is a far better alternative than trying to police a "Multicultural Mall of Mankind" who after several decades are finally able to go after one another's throats without threat of a brutal secular dictator in Hussein.  The US CAN quell a lot of the secetarian violence of the people towards themselves and US soldiers and contractors, but it would require Saddam-style tactics....however, the outrage and outcries of all nations around the world would not allow this to happen.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 12:08:39 PM »

oh shut the fuck up man, we know your M.O on here, like it or not, nobody on here is disagreeing with what the GEN. said, yet you still have the nerve to down play anything to do with the war and it's shambles.

::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »
Hey shitbag...did anybody ask u. I am disagreeing with some of what he said. Things have gotten better...we're going after Aq instead of dealing with a civil war. This guy is a prize asshole with an axe to grind against people who fired him because he could'nt do his job. He was forced to retire because he didn't have enother job after Iraq, a polite way of kicking him to the curb. I don't have an agenda, I'm in the service and I offer an opinion based on that.
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 06:05:21 AM »
it's ridiculous to blame bush for iraq. the dems voted and pushed for the war against bush and cheney's advice.

They all did, neocons, dems...they are all guilty...
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
it's ridiculous to blame bush for iraq. the dems voted and pushed for the war against bush and cheney's advice.

We can blame Bush for mismanaging the war, but it's true that the Dems are equally responsible for starting it.  They were beating the war drums both before and after Bush took office.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »
He is saying what most of us already know...just so happens it comes from someone a bit more "official" than your typical Olbermann/Matthews type.  He's not the first Flag officer to say it, nor will he be the last. 

I like Joe Biden's approach to carving up Iraq and making Baghdad a sort of loose Federalized entity, though I first heard of the idea from Duncan Hunter.  Iraq is a perfect example of how multiculturalism and diversity are disastrous without some sort of forceful glue holding them together(economic like here in the US or under the regime of a brutal dictator with military supremacy).  Iraq will ultimately become Balkanized, akin to the old Yugoslavia, the Ottoman Empire, the former USSR, and so and so forth....broken and busted up along cultural, religious, and racial lines. 

Although dividing up Iraq like that does have its risks, such as the Shiites closely aligning with the Iranian regime(a big conflict of regional US interests, particularily oil) and Turkey with a possible invasion of Kurdish lands, I think it is a far better alternative than trying to police a "Multicultural Mall of Mankind" who after several decades are finally able to go after one another's throats without threat of a brutal secular dictator in Hussein.  The US CAN quell a lot of the secetarian violence of the people towards themselves and US soldiers and contractors, but it would require Saddam-style tactics....however, the outrage and outcries of all nations around the world would not allow this to happen.

I think that was part of the original goal to begin with.  I find it difficult to believe that the Kurds would be so bold as to massacre 13 Turkish military members as recently reported. You know that's got to inflame the Turks, already itching to wipe out any Kurdish independence in Iraq. I wonder whose covert op that really was?
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »
We can blame Bush for mismanaging the war, but it's true that the Dems are equally responsible for starting it.  They were beating the war drums both before and after Bush took office.

Okay.

In 2007, which group is doing more to keep the war going - Bush or the Dems?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »
Okay.

240, Don't be so mean, ...you know how the facts have a tendency to confuse some people.  ;D
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 07:42:50 PM »
240, Don't be so mean, ...you know how the facts have a tendency to confuse some people.  ;D

question #2 will be "is the war going well, or still being mismanaged?"

He's fumble the Q or toss out an eye roll. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 08:10:07 PM »
Okay.

Let's see . . . that would be the Dems who funded the war in 07 and the Commander in Chief who is leading the effort.  But of course that has nothing to do with my comments.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »

::)  Silence Cougar.  Go send some more hate mail. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
::)  Silence Cougar.  Go send some more hate mail. 

And this comment relates to the topic how?
w