Author Topic: 10 stories in "Confidence Men" that has the WH freaking out.  (Read 1856 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: 10 stories in "Confidence Men" that has the WH freaking out.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »

But Paul Krugman was the voice inside Obama's head

New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, a Noble Prize-winning economist and Summers' rival, was an early and vocal critic of Obama's stimulus plan.

Although he was shunned from the president's economic policy staff, Suskind writes that Krugman occupied an important place in Obama's deliberations about the recovery.

"Each morning at the economic briefing it was like we were debating Krugman," an aide told Suskind. "Clearly Obama was reading Paul's columns and related on materials...and it made sense to him as both analysis and a guide for action."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-white-house-problems-confidence-men-economic-team-geithner-2011-9?op=1#ixzz1Yb4gOW00

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »

In short, Obama is a REALLY terrible manager
Obama allowed himself to be pushed around by his subordinates — Summers and Geithner in particular — and drawn into long policy debates instead of focusing on policy questions.

"The decision he had made in November to choose Geithner and Summers, and his penchant for wanting to convince his advisers of his rightness prior to making a major decision, all but guaranteed that any such market intervention would place him in a position of having to out-debate much of his senior staff," Suskind writes.

Summers put it best, telling Peter Orzag: "You know Peter, we're really home alone. I mean it…We're home alone. There's no adult in charge. Clinton would never have made these mistakes."

Obama all-but-admitted to Suskind that he didn't focus on the big picture for much of his first year, saying: "Carter, Clinton, and I all have sort of the disease of being policy wonks... I think that if you get too consumed with that you lose sight of the larger issue."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-white-house-problems-confidence-men-economic-team-geithner-2011-9?op=1#ixzz1Yb6GflrY

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:02 AM »

The White House has a SERIOUS women problem

According to the book, top female staffers were marginalized by the boy's club mentality of the Obama White House. "Looking back, this place would be in court for a hostile workplace," former communications director Anita Dunn told Suskind. "Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women."

As the only woman on the economic team, Romer disproportionately bore the brunt of this hostility. Staffers said Summers' often tried to humiliate Romer in morning briefings — it got so bad that Obama senior advisor Valerie Jarrett had to call meetings for female staffers to air their grievances.

The President was not only complacent, but also responsible for the problem, Suskind notes. During one meeting with a group of economists, Romer wrote a note to Summers: "Either he acknowledges me, or I'm leaving."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-white-house-problems-confidence-men-economic-team-geithner-2011-9?op=1#ixzz1Yb6oBN5f

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »

Larry Summers hijacked the administration's economic policy — and the White House let him

According to Suskind's account, Summers sweet-talked his way into the President's inner economic circle, but considered the NEC job beneath him. So he added conditions: He would be the gatekeeper for all economic matters that went to the Oval Office. Obama accepted, against the counsel of some of his closest advisors.

The system drove Obama's other economic advisors crazy — they found that when Summers disagreed with their view it somehow never made it to the president. In one account, after Orzag submitted a report directly to the president — at Obama's request — Summers stormed into Orzag's office yelling "What you've done is IMMORAL!"

By the end of 2009, Summers was trying to exercise control over even broader areas of domestic policy, demanding "content control" for all information on environmental/energy, tax policy, and healthcare.

But when Orzag complained to Emanuel, Rahm asked him to "help him out" and understand how difficult it was to manage Summers.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-white-house-problems-confidence-men-economic-team-geithner-2011-9?op=1#ixzz1Yb7iFw88

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:40 AM »
The White House Boys' Club: Obama Has a Woman Problem
Time ^ | 9/21/2011 | Amy Sullivan
Posted on September 22, 2011 2:47:10 AM EDT by comebacknewt

Nearly every professional woman has had the experience of saying something in a meeting, receiving no response, and then listening as a male colleague offers the same thought or suggestion minutes later to great acclaim. The first time it happens, she feels slightly foolish and is a little unsettled. Did I say that out loud or just in my head? Maybe he made the point better than I did. The second time it happens, she gets frustrated. The third time, she gets angry.

Look at the senior women meeting with Obama in this White House photo at a dinner they called to discuss their invisibility. Look at their faces and body language. They are pissed off.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »

if you are going to be offended, on behalf of women, for obama's actions-

then you should also be offended, on behalf of your own actions, for posting so many pics of palin's legs.

As much as I dislike her, posting a pic of Palin's legs in a lawn chair on vacation is crass for me.  You've done it many times.  It's sexist - it really is.  You haven't posted pix of Eric Cantor in his speedos. 

So it's not fair to be so offended at obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »
I'm not offended at all, I find it hilarious since the Obama Admn was supposed to be so woman friendly, liberal, etc. 

What did these libtard women expect?  Muslim men always treat women like dogs and dirt. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:31:35 AM »
I'm not offended at all,

So you're bitching about the Obama admin on their behalf, why again?  LOL  cause you whine about obama's breakfast choices.  You whine about everything he does.  Your team lost in 2008 cause Mccain was a douche who chose an idiot.  Tea party jumped the shark.  Obama isn't losing in every poll like he should be after 3 years of nonstop BS.

So now youre whining about causes you claim you dont even care about.  Okay.

Obama Has a Woman Problem

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »
So you're bitching about the Obama admin on their behalf, why again?  LOL  cause you whine about obama's breakfast choices.  You whine about everything he does.  Your team lost in 2008 cause Mccain was a douche who chose an idiot.  Tea party jumped the shark.  Obama isn't losing in every poll like he should be after 3 years of nonstop BS.

So now youre whining about causes you claim you dont even care about.  Okay.

romney is beating him in gallup.   

Remember - Reagan was losing to Carter all the way till the end too bro. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »
Sounds like Obama's Inexperience, indecion and lack of strength to stand up to Summers and Geithner help lead to the doubling down of stupid.

Not only is Obama a puppet but he is also a weak ass stooge.

But wait, he's the first black president, is that's why people like Andre and benny give him a free pass?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »
Sounds like Obama's Inexperience, indecion and lack of strength to stand up to Summers and Geithner help lead to the doubling down of stupid.

Not only is Obama a puppet but he is also a weak ass stooge.

But wait, he's the first black president, is that's why people like Andre and benny give him a free pass?

I can't for the life of me understand why obama brought larry summers and geithner in the WH considering their role in Glass Steagal repeal, the NY Fed, etc etc. 

Well, I can .  . . . .  actually . . . . . it just is something the obamabots dont want to hear.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »
I can't for the life of me understand why obama brought larry summers and geithner in the WH considering their role in Glass Steagal repeal, the NY Fed, etc etc. 

Well, I can .  . . . .  actually . . . . . it just is something the obamabots dont want to hear.   

Summers is evidentially a real arrogant dick head.  Many of the people the author interviewed talked as a way to justify their roles blaming Obama's inexperience for this mess.  What a weak piece of shit that he can't even control the people he appointed. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »
Summers is evidentially a real arrogant dick head.  Many of the people the author interviewed talked as a way to justify their roles blaming Obama's inexperience for this mess.  What a weak piece of shit that he can't even control the people he appointed. 

Its a crime reading the exerpts of this book that make it seem more of a debating society than anything in there.  I thought obama was supposed to have a fucking plan for Gods' sake!

And another thing - you bring in people like Geithner, Summers, etc - what the hell do you expect is going to happen?   

I mean really?   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 07:04:30 AM »
Its a crime reading the exerpts of this book that make it seem more of a debating society than anything in there.  I thought obama was supposed to have a fucking plan for Gods' sake!

And another thing - you bring in people like Geithner, Summers, etc - what the hell do you expect is going to happen?   

I mean really?   

Hope and change really meant: same old bull shit.

I bet there are or were many legit intelligent Obama supporters that are mad as hell that they voted for him.   The rest are just fucking idiots who probably think OJ is innocent also.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:24 AM »

He also bullied the then head of the CFTC, Brooksely Born (Female) when she tried to regulate and make transparent the derivatives market because no one really knew what was going on with such a huge market, no one. He threatened her, treated her like a child and then got a bunch of retarded Congressmen (who knew nothing about what they were talking about, just reading talking points from Summers/Greenspan...I'm looking at you Phil Gramm) to belittle her at the hearings. He then got her fired.

What happened after that? Long Term Capital Management collapsed. Doh!

This is a huge problem in D.C., I've mentioned it before, you have all of these recycled fuckhead court jesters that rotate presidents and such...hanging around like a fungus peddling their failed ideas and generally fucking things up. Larry Summers, David Gergen, Brent Scowcroft etc are all examples. They really haven't ever been right, but they're still around for some reason.

This is why you had the obsession with Iraq, Wall Street craziness, no new ideas during this current crisis etc.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:52 AM »
The movie "The Warning" PBS did should be required viewing for everyone.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »
March 2009 Obama had his chance to stop the madness, but instead blinked and rolled over.

suskind on Ratigan today. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »
York: Media bias on display as NBC grills Suskind
by
Byron York Chief Political Correspondent

Ron Suskind's 2004 book on the White House during George W. Bush's presidency, titled "The Price of Loyalty" sits on display in a bookstore. Suskind's recent appearance on the "Today" show about his new book on the Obama White House, "Confidence Men," contrasted sharply than when he went on to promote the earlier book.You want a quick and easy introduction to media bias? Just look at the reception given to author Ron Suskind when he appeared on NBC's "Today" show this week to promote his new book, "Confidence Men," which is critical of President Obama -- and then compare it to the reception Suskind received in 2004 when he appeared on "Today" to tout another book,"The Price of Loyalty," which was critical of President George W. Bush.

Start with the new book. The newsworthy bits in "Confidence Men" are well known: Suskind reports the Obama White House is tough on women, with former aide Anita Dunn calling it "a genuinely hostile workplace to women." Suskind also says Obama's top economic advisers had so little regard for the president that former National Economic Council chief Larry Summers said, "There's no adult in charge." And Suskind writes that on at least one occasion Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner ignored a clear directive from the president.

A lot of that is small-scale Washington chatter. The bigger picture from the book is one of a president not up to the job during perilous economic times. And that's not an image the White House wants to encourage with the 2012 re-election effort under way. So White House officials pushed back hard -- with a big assist from "Today."

Among the less substantive criticisms of the book, White House press secretary Jay Carney has suggested that Suskind lifted a small passage from Wikipedia. So with all the other issues that might be discussed, "Today" anchor Ann Curry began the interview with this: "Did you or did you not lift that passage from Wikipedia?"

Of course not, Suskind said. (Comparing the texts, no fair-minded reader would convict him of the charge.) Suskind tried to be dismissive, saying that "after a week, that's all [the White House] came up with."

"Well, they've actually come up with more," Curry responded. "So let me get to it."

Curry noted that Dunn has denied making the "hostile workplace" comment and demanded: "Did you take liberties with that quote?" No, Suskind said, adding that he actually played the audio of Dunn's (accurately quoted) words to a Washington Post reporter.

Curry then questioned the "no adult in charge" quote. "Did Summers believe the president was in over his head or didn't he?" Curry demanded. That's what he said, replied Suskind, noting that many people in the Obama White House cooperated with the book. "They say they cooperated with you because they were concerned about the direction you were taking," Curry shot back. "They wanted to make sure that you got it right."

On the Geithner story, Curry demanded: "Did Geithner ignore the president, or didn't he?" He did, Suskind said.

Curry still wasn't finished, forcing Suskind to defend the kind of trivial mistakes that appear in many books. Curry noted that "Confidence Men" refers to CNBC reporter Erin Burnett as "Erin Burkett," and that it also says the Dow Jones industrial average dropped 378 points on Feb. 10, 2009, when it in fact dropped 382 points. "So do you agree," Curry said to Suskind, "that if you cannot get these details right, then the broader analysis ... that you put forth in this book ... has got to be questioned?"

The White House couldn't have written the script better itself.

Now compare that to Suskind's appearance on "Today" back on Jan. 12, 2004, to promote his book "The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House and the Education of Paul O'Neill." Written with O'Neill, the former Treasury secretary turned Bush critic, the book was at least as strong an indictment of the Bush White House as "Confidence Men" is of the Obama White House.

But what a different reception Suskind received on "Today." Then-anchor Katie Couric's first substantive question was, "What, in your view, are the bombshells here?" Another Couric question: "There was apparently ... no debate in the White House ... It was all based on ideology or sort of political expediency?" And then, noting that the Bush White House disputed the book, Couric asked, "[O'Neill] had an unbelievable amount of documentation to back up some of his claims ... correct?" Suskind knocked each softball out of the park.

Why the difference? Was Ron Suskind a great reporter in 2004 and a terrible one in 2011? Or is it OK with "Today" to criticize Bush but not OK to criticize Obama? It sure looks like the latter.

Byron York, The Examiner's chief political correspondent, can be contacted at byork@washingtonexaminer.com. His column appears on Tuesday and Friday, and his stories and blogposts appear on ExaminerPolitics.com.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
I am making my way through this book.  highly recommended. 

page 149.   Obama and Romer were love at first sight - LMFAO!!!!!!

I guess Bama loves obese hippos. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Book or not, most people already know Downgrade to be a loser. The MSM can try to spin that any way they want but it's not working.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
Book or not, most people already know Downgrade to be a loser. The MSM can try to spin that any way they want but it's not working.

this book is really good.  it's no wonder team kneepad is attacking it.   Chock full of details showing what a buffoon we have as potus. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »

:-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
LMFAO - obama is in a meeting with all his economic a advisors discussing stim bill, economy, etc and Obama , who sat silently for most blurts out " what about smart grids?".  

Fail.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
:-\

Stop kneepadding and get this book.