Author Topic: Old Time American Pit Bull Terriers  (Read 16465 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Old Time Pitbulls
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »
And I will add to Oldtimers very knowledgeable post..  a lot of people are up in arms over bull fighting in some countries. The fact is, the bulls love to fight, and the bulls aren't harmed. They are lulled into a sense of well being by sword pokes and gently fall asleep. So much disinformation out there about Bull fights and dog fights, I'm glad Oldtimer and I had the opportunity to dispel the false info
Oldtimer and oldgolds are two different people.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
Oldtimer and oldgolds are two different people.

good catch  fixed it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »
good catch  fixed it.
Oldtimer is a good fella, oldgolds on the other hand is suspect.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Most men at that time used to dress pretty classy even poor ones.. especially for a photo portrait.

But Colby was known among old-schoolers as a peddler.

Having a game pit is a huge responsibility, even a cur pitbull should NOT be available on the hands of the public.

Reason is that the oldschoolers knew the consequences, not only against other animals but time to time Manbiters pitbulls existed, no matter how you raised.

Gr.champion Zebo, Gr.ch Virgil, Gr.ch Angus were notorious man-biters.. and imagine these dogs on the hands of person with zero knowledge about pitbulls? let alone dogs?!! they'd even bite you if you didn't release them when they saw another dog/cat/person..

Colby sold dogs to the general public, so they called him a peddler.  Big deal.  He, and his dogs were also very well respected.  The solution to man biters is simple.  Don't buy a dog bred from them.

Speaking in broad generalizations about Pit Bulls shows someone doesn't really understand the breed.  The Pit bull isn't like an AKC pure breed dog where every dog of a particular breed looks and acts the same.  Pit Bulls all look and act differently.  You can tell this just by the variability of the breed.

I will agree having a game pit is a huge responsibility and having a Pit Bull in general requires a more responsible owner.  As you know there real hazard with a Pit Bull is not that it will harm a person, but that it will harm another dog or animal.  I think the real damage to the reputation of this breed came when the general public with a lack of understanding of the breed started buying them.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »
Oldtimer is a good fella, oldgolds on the other hand is suspect.

I won't make that mistake again.

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »
Colby sold dogs to the general public, so they called him a peddler.  Big deal.  He, and his dogs were also very well respected.  The solution to man biters is simple.  Don't buy a dog bred from them.

Speaking in broad generalizations about Pit Bulls shows someone doesn't really understand the breed.  The Pit bull isn't like an AKC pure breed dog where every dog of a particular breed looks and acts the same.  Pit Bulls all look and act differently.  You can tell this just by the variability of the breed.

I will agree having a game pit is a huge responsibility and having a Pit Bull in general requires a more responsible owner.  As you know there real hazard with a Pit Bull is not that it will harm a person, but that it will harm another dog or animal.  I think the real damage to the reputation of this breed came when the general public with a lack of understanding of the breed started buying them.

It was a very big deal..

A dog breed several hundreds of generations for fighting purpose shouldn't be sold just to make a buck.

I brought the man-biting aspect because the dangers of a pitbull who attacks people is much more than a regular dog.

Colby sold to the general public without lack of understanding and that created a big problem, not just for the owners/pitbull community/pets but the breed itself.

Even a Cur pitbull can create more danger than regular dog if handled improper.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
Re: Old Time American Pit Bull Terriers
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2018, 06:53:17 AM »
And the people in our society who have the most pitbulls are the lowest, most irresponsible among us.....Ghettos and barrios across America are full of pitbulls....

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »
And the people in our society who have the most pitbulls are the lowest, most irresponsible among us.....Ghettos and barrios across America are full of pitbulls....
Hmm, probably just like it was in the UK.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
Colby's Jerry 1900

Colby's Galtie Imported from Ireland 1910

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
Colby's Primo 1935

This was one of the foundation dogs for the AKC American Staffordshire Terrier.  In addition, the conformation standard was based on this dog.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »
Henzil's Hobo

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »
Earl Tudor with Blackjack 1920

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
Maurice Carver and Wino

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
Needham's Hannibal

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »

Jack Williams' Tim

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
 Joe Corvino's Denver Storm

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
Jim Corcoran with Corcoran's "BIDDY"

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »

John Fonseca with Fonseca's "TINKER"  1932

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »
Earl Tudor's Crazy Joe 1916

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
Earl Tudor with Dick 1915

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2018, 07:38:06 AM »
Henzil's Hobo

I had a 1/2 Heinzl dog...He had a little Fonseca breeding also. Once I took a pilgrimage to the old, original dog yard of Howard Heinzl in Phoenix and then to Carvers old yard in San Antonio...This was way after they were dead. I think I found both.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
Similarities of how cockfighting is views in America and abroad as dog fighting is.
&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Philippines

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
Similarities of how cockfighting is views in America and abroad as dog fighting is.

Almost all the dog fighters in America and abroad also raise cocks.  The two go hand in hand, but cock fighting is much more popular because they are cheaper to raise.  That's the reason all the early APBT were small dogs.  They require less feed to raise and the small dogs are preferred by some.

I find all the fear mongering about the APBT to be amusing.  You're talking about a dog that doesn't get much over 60 pounds.  It's common for a Rottweiler, Doberman, or German Shepard to weigh 90 pounds. The majority of APBT weigh less than 50 pounds.  All this fear over a dog I can curl with one arm.

I'm not at all interested in cock fighting or dog fighting.  I remember showing a Vietnamese friend who had been to many cock fights as a child a book about the APBT and he thought it was cruel to fight dogs but had no problem fighting chickens and actually like cock fighting.

All the countries that have cock fighting also have some dog fighting and use the American Pit Bull Terrier.  The best Pit Bulls in America are fought down in Mexico where it's unrestricted.  

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »

I had a 1/2 Heinzl dog...He had a little Fonseca breeding also. Once I took a pilgrimage to the old, original dog yard of Howard Heinzl in Phoenix and then to Carvers old yard in San Antonio...This was way after they were dead. I think I found both.

Maurice was a colorful character.  His Grandfather brought dogs over from Ireland.

I would have like to have met Howard Heinzl

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »