Author Topic: Voting on Pins 'n Needles? Obama makes his position on Steroids clear today  (Read 2486 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Attn Getbiggers: Obama speaks out on steroids this morning!
By Ben Pershing (Published Today)

Sen. Barack Obama appeared to take a swipe at Sen. John McCain's activism on the subject of steroids in sports this morning, suggesting that the topic should not be a high priority for Congress or the federal government.

Appearing on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" program, Obama did not mention the Arizonan by name. But the Democratic presidential nominee did make clear that he would steer a different course than McCain has in the past when he was asked "how much government should be involved with sports and performance-enhancing drugs."

"I gotta admit that seeing a lot of congressional hearings around steroid use is not probably the best use of congressional time," Obama said

McCain has long been closely identified with efforts on the Hill to expose steroid use in baseball. In 2004, when McCain was chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, his panel held a high-profile hearing on the subject, and McCain's scrutiny helped force Major League Baseball owners to implement a new drug-testing policy.

McCain said the following year that the league "can't be trusted" to handle the issue on its own, and threatened to write legislation cracking down on performance-enhancing drugs. A House committee also held highly-publicized hearings on steroids in baseball in 2007.

But Obama suggested this morning there were more important things on which the government should focus.

Kids are watching sports. They're modeling themselves on athletes," Obama said. "It's a serious problem, but it's one that you want to see the leagues themselves handle in a more appropriate way. We've got nuclear weapons and a financial meltdown to worry about. We shouldn't be worrying about steroids as much as I think sometimes we do."

Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor said the Democrat's comments were not intended as a dig at McCain.

"Senator Obama has been saying this [about steroids] for years," Vietor said. "We face a big set of challenges, from the economy to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, that the government should be focusing on."

The McCain campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While he says government should be more hands-off on steroids, Obama did suggest other sports areas in which his administration might meddle.

"I would have my attorney general investigate the possibility of instituting a college football playoff system through executive order. I'm tired of this nonsense at the end of every college football season," Obama said.

"Thank you! Thank you!," yelled co-host Mike Golic.

On the NFL, Obama also made clear that he was opposed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers playing in a domed stadium. "Unless you're in Minnesota or Wisconsin you're not allowed to have a dome," he said, suggesting, tongue firmly in cheek, he would pass a law to formalize that policy.

Obama's beloved Chicago White Sox have Game 1 of their playoff series today, and the Democrat seemed to hesitate when asked whether he would watch that game or tonight's vice presidential debate between Sen. Joe Biden and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. "Biden might be listening," Obama joked, before confirming that he would in fact watch the debate. (Fortunately for Obama, the White Sox play at 2:30 p.m. ET, more than six hours before the debate is scheduled to start.)

Obama also revealed that he would continue his tradition of past election days by playing pickup basketball on Nov. 4.

"No doubt about it," he said. "On Election Day, you gotta have a game.... I haven't been playing lately, because I figure if I show up with a broken nose or a missing tooth during the debate that might not be so good. But I figure on Election Day it's too late. By that time everybody will have made up their minds so it doesn't matter if I get hurt."

*sorry for the double post - this will get buried in politics or the G&O board, and may be particularly relevant to readers of this board who live in swing states and can make a difference in this election.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Thanks. I didn't want to steal your thunder with this thread.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Whatever happened with the GH15 pro McCain spam?  Is he still on the McCain bandwagon?
w

4thAD

Very interesting! Thanx for this!

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
obama has the right idea

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
obama has the right idea

Yes he does and make sure and vote for your best interests.  The guy is real and looking out for the regular man.  But thats right lots of getbiggers are millionaires and corprate CEO's so they may think Mcsame is the best man. 

Obama is smart, not some fool starting wars at the drop of a hat and wasting tax payers money on steroid witch hunts.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
The real issue is that politicians and especially the president have very little power in what actually goes on in the world, and even in our own country.  The world is run by money and that money is controlled by 1% of the world, big corporations.  They decide what happens and how it happens, not some dudes sitting in Washington.

This election is a joke really, it's like picking the lesser of two evils.  For me it comes down to who's the smartest of the two?  That would go to Obama IMO.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
The real issue is that politicians and especially the president have very little power in what actually goes on in the world, and even in our own country.  The world is run by money and that money is controlled by 1% of the world, big corporations.  They decide what happens and how it happens, not some dudes sitting in Washington.

This election is a joke really, it's like picking the lesser of two evils.  For me it comes down to who's the smartest of the two?  That would go to Obama IMO.

Well said...big money is what controls our country and it's big money that pays the politician, regardless of party affiliation.

You're also right about the "lesser of two evils" neither candidate IMO is what this country needs...not completely anyway. Both have negatives and positives...yes I think Obama has some positive attributes even though I am typically a pretty staunch republican I will admit to this.

McCain's steroid hunt insanity obviously irritates me, but so does Obama's direct interference with small business America. Both have sound ideas about what to do about the failing economy, which right now should be everyone's main concern...both have bad ideas too.

With McCain health care will remain very expensive but the quality will remain high. With Obama it will be cheaper if not free for everyone, but the decline in quality will be tremendous. This has been proven over and over again in countries that have socialized health care. After all, why do you think so many Canadians come to the U.S. for major procedures?

With McCain we will continue to spend a lot of money on the war, with Obama quite a bit less...that's a given. Now where this money goes exactly in terms of military expense with Obama I believe at this time isn't exactly clear. I admire Obama's desire to pull our troops out and keep them safe, but I understand McCain's position on keeping the U.S. safe. Obama would argue we have nothing to fear...and who knows, he may be right. But it's a big risk and a risk that if it came out on the wrong end would ultimately be far worse then a struggling economy.

Last one, with McCain, my tax rate goes down, slightly but it still moves down. With Obama it goes up...any time more government oversight is put in place tax brackets shift. For myself, and if I am voting for my interest, I can never support anything that raises taxes. No, I'm not some rich guy by any means, but I am in the 30%+ tax bracket because I am self-employed and if this were to go up any more it could very well destroy my work. Some people may not know, but if you are self-employed or if you own a small business, you pay a self-employment penalty. It's actually called a penalty. Now with McCain this gets lowered, assuming he can get the votes he needs in the house to pass it. Right now, no he would not be able to, but that could change after the Nov election...who knows.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
Yes he does and make sure and vote for your best interests.  The guy is real and looking out for the regular man.  But thats right lots of getbiggers are millionaires and corprate CEO's so they may think Mcsame is the best man. 

Obama is smart, not some fool starting wars at the drop of a hat and wasting tax payers money on steroid witch hunts.

McCain is a millionaire and owns seven homes.

Obama just paid back his final loans for law school not too long ago.

I have more in common with Obama, and he's smarter, and I can't even fathom what Palin would do if she became President.

When McCain chose Palin, this race was over........   ::)

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
...well at least Palin reads "all the papers"...  :o
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

strength

obama has the right idea

it's hard not to like this guy.  i keep telling myself not to like him, but it s not working

LOL

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
I have to agree with Obama here. It's such a waste of congressional time.

The sad part of the presidential elections is that we always have to pick the lessor of two evils every four years.  :'(

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Well said...big money is what controls our country and it's big money that pays the politician, regardless of party affiliation.

You're also right about the "lesser of two evils" neither candidate IMO is what this country needs...not completely anyway. Both have negatives and positives...yes I think Obama has some positive attributes even though I am typically a pretty staunch republican I will admit to this.

McCain's steroid hunt insanity obviously irritates me, but so does Obama's direct interference with small business America. Both have sound ideas about what to do about the failing economy, which right now should be everyone's main concern...both have bad ideas too.

With McCain health care will remain very expensive but the quality will remain high. With Obama it will be cheaper if not free for everyone, but the decline in quality will be tremendous. This has been proven over and over again in countries that have socialized health care. After all, why do you think so many Canadians come to the U.S. for major procedures?

With McCain we will continue to spend a lot of money on the war, with Obama quite a bit less...that's a given. Now where this money goes exactly in terms of military expense with Obama I believe at this time isn't exactly clear. I admire Obama's desire to pull our troops out and keep them safe, but I understand McCain's position on keeping the U.S. safe. Obama would argue we have nothing to fear...and who knows, he may be right. But it's a big risk and a risk that if it came out on the wrong end would ultimately be far worse then a struggling economy.

Last one, with McCain, my tax rate goes down, slightly but it still moves down. With Obama it goes up...any time more government oversight is put in place tax brackets shift. For myself, and if I am voting for my interest, I can never support anything that raises taxes. No, I'm not some rich guy by any means, but I am in the 30%+ tax bracket because I am self-employed and if this were to go up any more it could very well destroy my work. Some people may not know, but if you are self-employed or if you own a small business, you pay a self-employment penalty. It's actually called a penalty. Now with McCain this gets lowered, assuming he can get the votes he needs in the house to pass it. Right now, no he would not be able to, but that could change after the Nov election...who knows.

I dont think Obama has ever said we "have nothing to fear"  He is not letting fear run our world though, make no doubt about it Obama would make the right choices for our country and is not some push over.  The dude would be firm and strong but open (which we need in this world) in foriegn affairs.  He is the man I would want on the nuke button, not MCcain the "war hero"  Military experiance does not make a good president.

Typical repub response that dems will raise taxes, thing is if you pay an extra $300 in taxes a year but still have a secure job and a prospering economy it is peaunuts and will mean very little to the way you live.  The reduced stress of a fucked economy and employment worries will make it well worth it IMO.  I get a return each year cause i own a home and pay realestate taxes, and if I get a few $100 less back at years end for a strong country then thats a good deal to me.  Maybe the big corporations can then start paying their share too.

The president has a big impact on the country, he is the captian of the ship and i would not call it the lesser of 2 evils.

tstmaniac

• Getbig IV
FUCK OBAMA...he will ruin small businesses..he is unpatriotic...he won't even sing our national anthem because he feels it is too warlike...how unamerican is that? he associated himself with a crazy racist spiratual advisor and also went to the guys church for twenty years..he also associated himself with a domestic terrorsist...MCCAIN all the wayyy

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist

Excellent post!

8)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
I dont think Obama has ever said we "have nothing to fear"  He is not letting fear run our world though, make no doubt about it Obama would make the right choices for our country and is not some push over.  The dude would be firm and strong but open (which we need in this world) in foriegn affairs.  He is the man I would want on the nuke button, not MCcain the "war hero"  Military experiance does not make a good president.
You're right, military experience does not necessarily qualify someone to be president...even Timothy McVay had military experience so obviously that alone doesn't qualify anyone. But at the same time it is something that I think should be considered, assuming the person who has the military experience isn't a raging lunatic.

I don't see McCain as  war monger, not remotely. No one who has been through the hell he has been could be such an individual. I don't see McCain as someone who wants to put the U.S. into more war, but I believe he has a stronger understanding of "what is" and what needs to be done in such situations.

Typical repub response that dems will raise taxes, thing is if you pay an extra $300 in taxes a year but still have a secure job and a prospering economy it is peaunuts and will mean very little to the way you live.  The reduced stress of a fucked economy and employment worries will make it well worth it IMO.  I get a return each year cause i own a home and pay realestate taxes, and if I get a few $100 less back at years end for a strong country then thats a good deal to me.  Maybe the big corporations can then start paying their share too.

You're right, a modest increase like you're talking about would be nothing to gripe about. But here is the problem. With the policies Obama talks about it's not a modest increase, and when I have to pay more taxes, much more, I inevitably have to charge more, which means in the long run I have less business, and make far less money. As of now taxes are already breaking my back. In my opinion a strong economy can only exist when the taxpayers are spending less of their own money in taxes, when they have more money to put back into the economy in the private sector. The more money they spend in the private sector, the more money the employees of business owners can be paid. If the business owner is paying this money in taxes, then he can't afford to pay his employees more and further he can't afford to hire more needed employees.

One thing you said that I agree with completely, big corporations need to be made liable for their share of the load. So far they haven't been, it's the small time guy, the small time self-employed guy who is taking the big business load and in my opinion that is what's killing the American economy.

The president has a big impact on the country, he is the captian of the ship and i would not call it the lesser of 2 evils.

The lesser of two evils may not be the best way to put it. I don't believe that Obama or McCain is out to get America or harm the American way of life in any way. I think both honestly believe that their ideas are what will benefit our country the most. I think both have our best interest in mind. I simply believe that even though Obama does believe he is doing the right thing, that he is more "off" then McCain.

Luv, I know you and I have bitched at each other before about this stuff...I have no desire to get into that again. Simply stating my opinions and how I see things, so no hard feelings on my end if we disagree.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Arnold, Obama will lower your taxes big guy. Under Obama you will be better off financially than under Mccain.  Thats just the fact of the matter. Its not up for debate---not unless you want to say you make 250,000 grand a year. lol.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Arnold, Obama will lower your taxes big guy. Under Obama you will be better off financially than under Mccain.  Thats just the fact of the matter. Its not up for debate---not unless you want to say you make 250,000 grand a year. lol.

No, I don't make $250k a year...not yet.

Here is the problem IMO. Yes, Obama says he will lower taxes for the middle and lower middle class, OK, great. Hard to argue how that could be a bad thing. He also says he will make big business the corporate giants pay their fair share. Again, it's hard to argue how that could be a bad thing.

Here is the problem with that plan for people like myself. When he talks about making corporate America pay its share, he lumps all business owners and all self-employed into the same category. The small business owner and the average Joe Blow who is self-employed make up a huge percentage of the population and when they are thrown into the same category as the corporate CEO, that is a disaster.

The other problem, with Obama's tax plans, people who are not self-employed, but who work directly for some sort of company or institution yet are not power players in the group, and in this case I'm talking about Dr's employed under various health care orginazations, i.e. St. Thomas, or Attorneys who work directly for a major firm, these individuals who make more money then the average small business owner or self-employed person fall into a much smaller tax bracket...this is a huge problem IMO.

Now I'm not saying that the above people, those Dr's or Attorneys should have to pay higher taxes, actually I don't think they should. I am someone who would be more in favor with a more standard tax rate...not necessarily a flat rate that is the exact same for everyone, because this would destroy the average guy, but something that is a flat rate across the board that would apply that would apply proportionally to each person and that would be fair and not determined by the job or position that person holds.

*Side note: Tbombz, all things of this nature are debatable. That's the very nature of politics and one of the main points behind how our system of government works.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
some things are debatebale, but really they arent debateable.  ;D

like the rights to life liberty and pursuit of happyness. technically we can debate these rights, but really they are not debateabel/

anyways... that point on small business getting taxed is bologna mccain camp talking point. if your make over 250 k a little extra tax aint no problem. and if you own a business and you cut a job because you just got a tax increase then that is your decision to keep profits the same and lose an employee, you could make the opposite decision to lower profits and keep the employee. its not the governments job tomake sure the economy is utopia anyway. the economy is a result of the work ethic and the ingenuity of the citizens..not supposed to be an artificial product stemming from superficial legislation.

the fact is americans in todays world need to 'step their game up' or pay the price (no longer have the best currency and strongest economy).

the gov just needs to make sure certain rights are protected  and a certain level of "live ability" is sustained.. nothing else.

anyway i dont like obama much anymore since he is playing politics on alot of issues and not being the guy he was 4 years ago..

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
some things are debatebale, but really they arent debateable.  ;D

like the rights to life liberty and pursuit of happyness. technically we can debate these rights, but really they are not debateabel/
When it comes to life, liberty and the pursuit of happieness, those have been deemed inalienable rights, but it's what makes up and falls under the extent of those rights that will always be up for debate. What one man believes is right under these rights, will continually be disagreed upon by another.

anyways... that point on small business getting taxed is bologna mccain camp talking point. if your make over 250 k a little extra tax aint no problem. and if you own a business and you cut a job because you just got a tax increase then that is your decision to keep profits the same and lose an employee, you could make the opposite decision to lower profits and keep the employee. its not the governments job tomake sure the economy is utopia anyway. the economy is a result of the work ethic and the ingenuity of the citizens..not supposed to be an artificial product stemming from superficial legislation.
The problem is most small business owners are not making tons of money, most of them live day to day like most Americans. So if they are taxed more it's not a matter of simply cutting profits so that they can keep their employees, because if you cut their profits many of them will end up in the red, or rather more in the red then they already are. Then there is no profit.

the fact is americans in todays world need to 'step their game up' or pay the price (no longer have the best currency and strongest economy).

the gov just needs to make sure certain rights are protected  and a certain level of "live ability" is sustained.. nothing else.
You're exactly right, that's why any programs that give the government more control and more "say so" is the wrong path. The government is supposed to be here to protect, not just from outside enemies but to protect against inside threats to our well being. They are here to protect, not to run and control.

anyway i dont like obama much anymore since he is playing politics on alot of issues and not being the guy he was 4 years ago..

IMO, he is the same now as he was 4 years ago. The difference now is he is in the lime light a lot more and it brings all things to the surface. The biggest problem for Obama is the same one McCain has. Both are stuck right in the middle of a corrupt two party system that is threatening to destroy America. Yes, as a republican I have no problems admitting that my party is full of corruption, but no more or no less then the other side of the isle.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Obama was different before. even as early as the primary season. he changed the second he got the nomination. he started playing politics. and not nrew politics but OLD politics.

read his book audacity of hope? its very good. i believe its form befre his 2004 dnc speech. another highlight of his polical career. THAT obama is fantastic and imo best politician since thomas jefferson ...but sadly it seems that guy is gone

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
FUCK OBAMA...he will ruin small businesses..he is unpatriotic...he won't even sing our national anthem because he feels it is too warlike...how unamerican is that? he associated himself with a crazy racist spiratual advisor and also went to the guys church for twenty years..he also associated himself with a domestic terrorsist...MCCAIN all the wayyy

you sound educated and well informed..........ha ha wow!
DAWG

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
You're right, military experience does not necessarily qualify someone to be president...even Timothy McVay had military experience so obviously that alone doesn't qualify anyone. But at the same time it is something that I think should be considered, assuming the person who has the military experience isn't a raging lunatic.

I don't see McCain as  war monger, not remotely. No one who has been through the hell he has been could be such an individual. I don't see McCain as someone who wants to put the U.S. into more war, but I believe he has a stronger understanding of "what is" and what needs to be done in such situations.

You're right, a modest increase like you're talking about would be nothing to gripe about. But here is the problem. With the policies Obama talks about it's not a modest increase, and when I have to pay more taxes, much more, I inevitably have to charge more, which means in the long run I have less business, and make far less money. As of now taxes are already breaking my back. In my opinion a strong economy can only exist when the taxpayers are spending less of their own money in taxes, when they have more money to put back into the economy in the private sector. The more money they spend in the private sector, the more money the employees of business owners can be paid. If the business owner is paying this money in taxes, then he can't afford to pay his employees more and further he can't afford to hire more needed employees.

One thing you said that I agree with completely, big corporations need to be made liable for their share of the load. So far they haven't been, it's the small time guy, the small time self-employed guy who is taking the big business load and in my opinion that is what's killing the American economy.

The lesser of two evils may not be the best way to put it. I don't believe that Obama or McCain is out to get America or harm the American way of life in any way. I think both honestly believe that their ideas are what will benefit our country the most. I think both have our best interest in mind. I simply believe that even though Obama does believe he is doing the right thing, that he is more "off" then McCain.

Luv, I know you and I have bitched at each other before about this stuff...I have no desire to get into that again. Simply stating my opinions and how I see things, so no hard feelings on my end if we disagree.

No AJ not hard feelings, we will get you to come around one day  ;D  J/K

R.A.M.

• Getbig IV
  • BOOM!! Take a Look at this hunk of Man.
I really don't like both candidates for pres. but barack is clearly inexperienced and to top it off he ISN'T a true American. If barack obama becomes pres I know as time passes you guys will agree he is a racist hypocrite. For christ sakes OBAMA. That last name isn't american last time I checked guys. And this policy of cracking down on steroids isn't in the lime light at this time, the financial crisis is. McCain won't have time to see if joe blow in the NFL is taking steroids or anyone in that matter.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
I really don't like both candidates for pres. but barack is clearly inexperienced and to top it off he ISN'T a true American. If barack obama becomes pres I know as time passes you guys will agree he is a racist hypocrite. For christ sakes OBAMA. That last name isn't american last time I checked guys. And this policy of cracking down on steroids isn't in the lime light at this time, the financial crisis is. McCain won't have time to see if joe blow in the NFL is taking steroids or anyone in that matter.

I wrote out about 20 different responses to this comment, all of which would have put me into time out.