Author Topic: Are parents sending the wrong message??  (Read 1069 times)

newmom

Are parents sending the wrong message??
« on: November 05, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »
Ok..my little 2 year old loves Dora..now, with holiday season approaching, these commercials are really pumping out all the new toys and stuff. A commercial came on tonight for a Dora cash register. It has fake credit cards to purchase items. I love my little one and would love to get this for her, but (I know she is a little young but I hope people get the jist of what I am saying) should'nt we as parents teach them better responsability, as paying with cash and not relying on credit??

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Are parents sending the wrong message??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »
but what about the future when cash is gone  :'(
Z

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:09:51 AM »
Ok..my little 2 year old loves Dora..now, with holiday season approaching, these commercials are really pumping out all the new toys and stuff. A commercial came on tonight for a Dora cash register. It has fake credit cards to purchase items. I love my little one and would love to get this for her, but (I know she is a little young but I hope people get the jist of what I am saying) should'nt we as parents teach them better responsability, as paying with cash and not relying on credit??
You should learn your kids to handle fake credit cards as soon as possible imo.
$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 05:00:26 AM »
but "cash is king" has a nice ring to it
Z

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:20:15 AM »
but "cash is king" has a nice ring to it
True. They also have to appreciate cold, hard cash.
$

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:50:18 PM »

She'll need to have credit if she wants to purchase a house and what not.

And it's just a toy. I played with cap guns and I never climbed a bell tower and took out people.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »

I get you.
To me it seems like an educational toy that will teach about something that occurs in real life.

I see your point, though. It teaches them to spend $$ they don’t have.

While teaching about borrowing, they should also include something that teaches the importance of paying one’s debts – maybe like a big guy named Vito who comes and breaks your legs if you miss a payment.

newmom

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »
She'll need to have credit if she wants to purchase a house and what not.

And it's just a toy. I played with cap guns and I never climbed a bell tower and took out people.

you may not have climbed up a tower but I bet you did a few driveby's..just joking could'nt be helped..

you do bring a good point though

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:21 PM »
you may not have climbed up a tower but I bet you did a few driveby's..just joking could'nt be helped..

you do bring a good point though

Just one driveby and nobody died.

I hope.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »
I tend to agree with what has been written before on this subject.  As long as you teach your daughter responsibility and not let her get too attached to the idea of spending money she doesn't have, I'm sure this toy will be a lot of fun for her - even educational. 
~