Author Topic: Training question  (Read 889 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Training question
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:09:16 AM »
Say I wanted to increase the rep range of a specific lift with a certain amount of weight. Should I just lift that weight over and over until I reach that desired rep range? Say for instance benchpress since it's such an evidently popular exercise. If I was to push it for 10 times in a set but can't push it for 11 or 12, how could I effectively increase the amount of reps I can perform with this exercise? I'm just using this as an example. Would you warm up and just work with that weight over and over until you get it? Or what?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Training question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:22:21 AM »
Do drop sets.......build up your stamina.  Keep lowering the weight to keep your reps the same for a few sets.  Thats why its good every other week or two weeks to switch up your reps from the average 10 reps to a week of 15-20, then follow that week up by 6-8.  Keep mixing it up. 

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
Yeah i agree, throw in drop sets and supersets or superset drop sets. Always change the order of the workout and give pre-exhaust a shot.
bodybuildersreality.com

mr_nice

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »
just keep at it 10 reps this week will be more next week its simple but slow. lift and eat and rest you will get bigger and stronger

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 06:36:18 PM »
Might want to avoid any drop sets or SS's at this time. Either tends to be not the best method for strength increases (if they were, PL'ers would use them often) as they are for hypertrophy (muscle cell growth) mainly. If your main concern  is increasing any weight in any exercise, the 8 to 12 reps ranges has worked well for thousands of men over the past. And will in the future. And you will usually gain strength also with any muscle increase.  That is the original progressive BB'ing system. The body adapts and gets stronger from every workout. Once the twelve reps are met, add weight the next workout and start with 8 reps again. Pretty simple really. Or might try the old rest-pause method, a fine system for getting stronger and bigger at the same time.

If you want to get stronger on your lift(s), and also larger, than try the 5X5 system. Another way to accomplish strength and size from one workout is to keep a rep range of 6 to 9. Drop sets, SS's, tri sets, giant set's, etc are designed for shorter periods (4 to 6 weeks) with the main focus on muscle size. Gives ultimate stress on the muscle system. Very advanced for advanced BB'ers. But if you think of exploring that method, than give it a go. Good Luck.